Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

buffbus posted:

Considering the fact that Kyle himself is Asian I guess it helps but at best puts him in the territory of Chris Rock.
Tucker. Not Rock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I feel like propping up criticism onto his race's stereotype is a bad crutch when the dialogue isn't funny to begin with. Maybe there is some sort of joke I'm missing but it just seems like a thinly veiled way to talk poo poo about something without wanting to seem like the bad guy.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
A lot of the controversy about the verge video was because they chose to copyright strike big youtubers who were using clips of the video to mock it.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

buffbus posted:

Considering the fact that Kyle himself is Asian I guess it helps but at best puts him in the territory of Chris Rock.

For what it's worth I'm a white guy who often makes fun of the types of food white people consider good so maybe I'm in the same league.

I think its more of the fact that asians get harassed all the time with people mocking them by talking to them in a fake asian accent. I know at school people would do that to bully asians. Its kind of like the Apu accent in the Simpsons. I know Indians who got heavily bullied with the Apu accent in school too. They would speak with an american accent but kids would mimic the apu accent when talking to them.

Like he's normalizing laughing at a fake asian accent in his Lyle persona. It's hosed up.

Rabid Snake fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Mar 25, 2021

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Rabid Snake posted:

I think its more of the fact that asians get harassed all the time with people mocking them by talking to them in a fake asian accent. I know at school people would do that to bully asians. Its kind of like the Apu accent in the Simpsons. I know Indians who got heavily bullied with the Apu accent in school too. They would speak with an american accent but kids would mimic the apu accent when talking to them.

Like he's normalizing laughing at a fake asian accent in his Lyle persona. It's hosed up.

Also Asians are not a single homogenous block with identical shared experiences. I won't pretend to know his background but he appears to be born in the US/Canada and is fairly integrated. Making fun of Asians who have accidents is still hosed up, even if he is Asian, because he's not a recent immigrant and doesn't have to deal with all the bullshit that they do. Learning a new language is hard, and if you learn/move as an adult you will likely never rid yourself of the accent. That on top of the other racist stereotypes he piles on with his character makes it pretty gross. It's an attempt to push down those that came later and weren't lucky enough to be born here. Kind of like the anti-immigrant stance that exists in a lot of the Cuban-American community in Miami. It's using your position of privilege to bully and belittle those who came after you.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Also Asians are not a single homogenous block with identical shared experiences. I won't pretend to know his background but he appears to be born in the US/Canada and is fairly integrated. Making fun of Asians who have accidents is still hosed up, even if he is Asian, because he's not a recent immigrant and doesn't have to deal with all the bullshit that they do. Learning a new language is hard, and if you learn/move as an adult you will likely never rid yourself of the accent. That on top of the other racist stereotypes he piles on with his character makes it pretty gross. It's an attempt to push down those that came later and weren't lucky enough to be born here. Kind of like the anti-immigrant stance that exists in a lot of the Cuban-American community in Miami. It's using your position of privilege to bully and belittle those who came after you.

It came up in a weird ad Bitwit did once for I think Fractal Designs - the Lyle character is a direct impression of his grandfather, who (at least in the ad) was making the same kinds of jokes with Bitwit himself as the butt of them. It made a lot more sense when I realized he was basically copying a close family member - where he got the specific mannerisms and ideas from, whether for good or ill.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

my first interaction with a bitwit video was that video making fun of the theverge computer build.

not only is that poo poo racist, it provides cover for racists. "that guy did an impression there so what's so bad about it?"

its not even a good gag or joke. it is basically "watch me talk in an accent for a whole video." there is no comedy to it. like why would you find it funny other than you think of othering people being perfectly fine.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
I would never have heard of him or watched the video if The Verge hadn't DMCA'd it :negative:

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

let the anger flow through your salt beef filling

Ziploc posted:

I almost think he deserves it. Since to this day he absolves himself of any wrong doing, and everyone who disagrees is an 'angry nerd who is jealous that they don't have a computer as good as his.'

I saw him streaming Tarkov last year. Which of course he touted as being someone who knew stuff about the game/been playing it for a while. But proceeded to get many fundamental things wrong about it and was basically making rookie mistakes the entire time. Like bringing magazines into a raid that didn't even fit in his gun. It was absolutely fascinating. He also made all kinds of weird excuses for his mistakes too.

I find him in general to be a pretty interesting person. Only because I never ever want to be so out of touch with what's going on around me as he was.

Obviously, it's a bad video. But it can be pretty overwhelming to feel like the entire internet is hassling you for something you probably had to do at your job. People can criticize the Verge editorial process if they want to - editors and management have a duty of care to their staff and its entirely an editor's job to say "I don't think this should be put out there".

The line between harassment and criticism isn't as obvious as people think. Especially when criticism comes in such volume and for such a sustained period of time.

And in terms of the follow-up reaction, if you felt like the entire internet was trying to ruin your life just because you hosed up at work, you'd probably react poorly too. We all would.

Honestly, it's completely embarrassing seeing people on the internet continue to dissect this guy's entire career. I don't think people realize how terrifying it can be to do a public facing job at the best of times, let alone when you gently caress up. He doesn't owe angry nerds on the internet anything. The video got taken down quickly and it didn't cause a legion of new PC builders to burn down their homes. We've all done work we're less than happy with, and there are all kinds of reasons why that might be the case.

My one caveat to all this is it is pretty funny when Steve Burke or Linus or whoever casually says "that's right, we got one" when they review a CPU.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Klyith posted:

Dean Takahashi is way different because he isn't really harming anyone by writing videogame reviews. OTOH the fact that he sucks at them, and has a documented history of loving up factual information about the games in his reviews, is relevant information to the quality/applicability of his take. It's unfortunate for him that the Cuphead thing happened during gamergate and 4chan shitheads were looking for games journalists to harass, even guys they'd never heard of who writes reviews for a financial biz website. OTOH the opinion that Dean Takahashi is bad at games and his reviews are poor does not make someone the devil.

I bought Dean Takahashi's two Xbox books, and they're both terribly written and completely devoid of any interesting information. Dean Takahashi sucks and has consistently sucked for a long time.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I was watching Serve The Home's latest video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7XJqr44YF0 and it made me think, if I was made of money and had a couple thousand dollars to throw around, could I buy a server rack like that, put in something like an Epyc 7272 with 12 cores/24 threads, and then have all of the server do all of the computing, with laptops effectively as "thin clients" that log-in to the server

this is purely wishful thinking/daydreaming, based mostly on using Moonlight to play games on my laptop with my desktop "hosting" it, but I am kinda curious:

* if I could afford the hardware, would it be possible for a schlub like me to create a set-up where the server is "bisected" such that it'll dedicate six cores/12 threads of the Epyc CPU to my laptop's log-in session, and then the other half to, say, my wife on her session? or four cores each across three users? I know NVidia's GeForce Now servers do that, but I was wondering how much technical knowledge it'd take to pull off

* I also vaguely recall that if you wanted to do this kind of "dividing up" of a single part's resources in the GPU space, you need to get an enterprise-level card, since NVidia (and AMD?) don't offer that feature on consumer level cards. Would I need a Tesla-grade card, or would a Quadro suffice?

* in a professional setting, what would you even use for the remote access? good ol' Windows RDP?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

gradenko_2000 posted:

* in a professional setting, what would you even use for the remote access? good ol' Windows RDP?

An unlicensed copy of TeamViewer if one of my last places is anything to go by...

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I was watching Serve The Home's latest video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7XJqr44YF0 and it made me think, if I was made of money and had a couple thousand dollars to throw around, could I buy a server rack like that, put in something like an Epyc 7272 with 12 cores/24 threads, and then have all of the server do all of the computing, with laptops effectively as "thin clients" that log-in to the server

this is purely wishful thinking/daydreaming, based mostly on using Moonlight to play games on my laptop with my desktop "hosting" it, but I am kinda curious:

* if I could afford the hardware, would it be possible for a schlub like me to create a set-up where the server is "bisected" such that it'll dedicate six cores/12 threads of the Epyc CPU to my laptop's log-in session, and then the other half to, say, my wife on her session? or four cores each across three users? I know NVidia's GeForce Now servers do that, but I was wondering how much technical knowledge it'd take to pull off

* I also vaguely recall that if you wanted to do this kind of "dividing up" of a single part's resources in the GPU space, you need to get an enterprise-level card, since NVidia (and AMD?) don't offer that feature on consumer level cards. Would I need a Tesla-grade card, or would a Quadro suffice?

I think Linus has his house set up like that. At the very least he's done multiple VMs running games on one threadripper box. In both cases I think each VM had a dedicated GPU. It shouldn't be too hard to find the vids if you poke around.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

cage-free egghead posted:

I feel like propping up criticism onto his race's stereotype is a bad crutch when the dialogue isn't funny to begin with. Maybe there is some sort of joke I'm missing but it just seems like a thinly veiled way to talk poo poo about something without wanting to seem like the bad guy.

This. Any stereotyping bullshit aside, the comedy is completely missing and uses the LOL FUNNY ACCENT as a crutch for extremely thin and easy jokes. It's worse than when a comedian brings a guitar or piano or guitar on stage to "sing" jokes that aren't funny and need life support.

omg he buttons the top button! wacky!

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

gradenko_2000 posted:

and when I was putting it back together, I went from bottom-to-top, checking it off as I went along, to make sure I didn't forget anything
Once you put together a computer once, it's gravy and you probably won't ever need to make that list.

Computers have come from such a long way nowadays that it is really hard to mess things up. All the plugs can only go in one way

the only things you can really mess up is

knowing where the headers go but that is less of a problem than 10 years ago since oodles of jumpers/irq pins have been removed. just look for the silk printed PWR/USB#/RST pin is or look at the motherboard manual since they will be highlighted and bold

not using multiple rails for the GPU

The screw thing is resolved forever by buying one of these

I use those thumb screws in places like the card case screws and I love it when I don't have to go looking for a screwdriver to replace something.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I remember when even the good PC cases had razor sharp edges that would cut you bad if you were caught unawares.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

priznat posted:

I remember when even the good PC cases had razor sharp edges that would cut you bad if you were caught unawares.

Yeah, I miss the good old days. And those super loud Delta fans!

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
As much as individual components have progressed in the last 20 years, cases and storage have had the most evolution, and almost always for the best.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRo-lnBKhLo

My obvious guess for his next video tease wood PS5 .

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

SalTheBard posted:

As much as individual components have progressed in the last 20 years, cases and storage have had the most evolution, and almost always for the best.

You know what's made the biggest leap? The manuals. For almost all major brands, they're actually decent now! The diagrams aren't incomprehensible scribbles that leave out steps, there are text labels for the important parts, and the translation is almost never gibberish that went from chinese to english by passing through russian and swahili first.

You could put together a PC with zero prior experience these days by just reading the manuals that come with your case, motherboard, and CPU cooler.

EVIL Gibson posted:

not using multiple rails for the GPU

Huh, like PSU rails? Good PSUs these days rarely have multiple 12v rails.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

priznat posted:

I just made a blood sacrifice a few months ago when I had to reposition my noctua 12a, without even noticing until a minute later. Good times.

no pubes yet sorry
Sep 11, 2003

EVIL Gibson posted:

Once you put together a computer once, it's gravy and you probably won't ever need to make that list.

Computers have come from such a long way nowadays that it is really hard to mess things up. All the plugs can only go in one way

the only things you can really mess up is

Worth noting that if you are putting together a case and using rgb you need to get the polarity correctly aligned with the arrow. Its easy as heck but its usually not well documented.

Besides that you can just slap stuff together in a beige box and it will function in under an hour with no experience. Its pretty amazing.

Worldshatter
May 7, 2015

:kazooieass:PEPSI for TV-GAME:kazooieass:

It would be pretty fun to be able to build computers regularly, for all the computer content I consume it's something that only ever makes sense to do every few years, and that's before just upgrading stuff instead.

idk maybe the novelty would wear off after the 15th build of the month because I imagine a lot of my enjoyment from building pcs is the knowledge that I have something cool to set up and use at the end

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Worldshatter posted:

It would be pretty fun to be able to build computers regularly, for all the computer content I consume it's something that only ever makes sense to do every few years, and that's before just upgrading stuff instead.

idk maybe the novelty would wear off after the 15th build of the month because I imagine a lot of my enjoyment from building pcs is the knowledge that I have something cool to set up and use at the end

building old-ish computers is what I do/did when I wanted to get some hands-on practice: you could (used to?) be able to throw together a Bulldozer APU or a Core2Quad system for less than 200 dollars in The Before Times, and when I was done I'd give it away to a relative who needed nothing more powerful than an internet machine

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

EimiYoshikawa posted:

I just made a blood sacrifice a few months ago when I had to reposition my noctua 12a, without even noticing until a minute later. Good times.

Ooh yeah, at least heatsink fins have a reason to be super thin/sharp and not just raggedy rear end pc case cuts :haw:

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Worldshatter posted:

I really enjoy building computers, myself! My pc having gone from 100% healthy to 100% hosed by attempting to download the latest big windows update from both drives to my motherboard not even letting me access the bios, though? Which is why I'm tablet posting? Going to put a bit of a damper on the next one.

Worldshatter
May 7, 2015

:kazooieass:PEPSI for TV-GAME:kazooieass:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxGqGCtPxn4

Holy poo poo they actually just made the kind of video I wanted, I really hope this becomes a series

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
I'm not rich enough for this, but should anyone else be:

https://www.lttstore.com/3080liquidtorxafterburner

edit: vvv yeah, I was 20 minutes late vvv

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Mar 29, 2021

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

I'm not rich enough for this, but should anyone else be:

https://www.lttstore.com/3080liquidtorxafterburner

This is already gone.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Worldshatter posted:

Holy poo poo they actually just made the kind of video I wanted, I really hope this becomes a series
Should I keep watching it? The first claim about heatsinks being pointless made me pause immediately, considering the VRM drama back with with the Core i9, because the mainboards lacked heatsinks and the manufacturers scrambled getting some on there right before release.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Worldshatter posted:

Agreed. This was very interesting, and informed many of the decisions I'm making on my current build.

The RAM slot thing was most interesting. My outlook was just like what they said: get 4 slots or you're hampering further upgrades. Turns out there's more to it!

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Combat Pretzel posted:

Should I keep watching it? The first claim about heatsinks being pointless made me pause immediately, considering the VRM drama back with with the Core i9, because the mainboards lacked heatsinks and the manufacturers scrambled getting some on there right before release.

That’s got more to do with the i9 being a)an Abomination That Should Not Be and b) on the Not-So-Little node that couldn’t.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Either way, it's a weird stance to have, because the high end lotsa VRM boards to go power users that are likely to overclock, too, and with what VRM switching losses/waste heat being I²R (note the square on the current), they still might be applicable.

Also something something component life time changing with heat.

--edit:
In numbers, if your bank of VRMs is already pretty warm with 10A going through each, and you up the current to 15A because of overclocking :pcgaming:, for 50% more current you get 125% more heat.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Mar 29, 2021

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Combat Pretzel posted:

Either way, it's a weird stance to have, because the high end lotsa VRM boards to go power users that are likely to overclock, too, and with what VRM switching losses/waste heat being I²R (note the square on the current), they still might be applicable.

Also something something component life time changing with heat.

--edit:
In numbers, if your bank of VRMs is already pretty warm with 10A going through each, and you up the current to 15A because of overclocking :pcgaming:, for 50% more current you get 125% more heat.

Lots and lots of people buy top-end motherboards with crazy expensive VRM components. Very, very few of them will get liquid nitrogen and do extreme overclocking.

The VRMs on a lot of top-shelf mobos are bonkers these days, and would be completely fine if you remove the heatsinks and engage in some regular everyday OCing. Like, single-digit watts of waste heat spread across the entire set of mosfets. They don't even break a sweat until you hit 200 amps, at which point you are beyond even what a big custom loop water can sustain.

And that's what he says later in the video if you'd kept watching. He makes the point that midrange boards are the ones that need better heatsinks.

Mobo makers have really stepped up the VRMs over the last ~5 years, which I attribute equally to Intel going mad with power demand, and Buildzoid making great, understandable vids for lesser nerds to learn from. These days everyone believes you "need" a really good VRM.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Worldshatter posted:

Anthony is one of the few, deeply knowledgeable tech people on his staff afaict

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Source your quotes

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

mewse posted:

Nah

e: you don't need a lawyer's advice to remind someone that defamatory accusations can have consequences, esp if they're a struggling youtube channel airing poo poo in public

Coreteks is an idiot but just lol if you think that lawsuit would have a greater than 0% chance of success.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

lol is there anybody left who believes the poo poo these guys desperately try to justify their lovely benchmark with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Look away, you'll become dumber just by reading this