Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Business Shrimp

dog nougat fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Mar 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

IkeTurner posted:

Doodled a portrait of a friend. I hope he likes it. Haven't heard back from him yet.

I'm extremely disappointed in myself for knowing the source of the anime

Karenina
Jul 10, 2013

smallmouth posted:

It always turns into biting.

syntaxrigger posted:

Life is pain.

only realized while drawing that he was looking right at me as he sank his teeth in

a look of impunity, i'll tell ya what

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Got a very rough layout and color study done on this today. Am gonna keep lavender as the background. Added more red and orange to the shrimp to help them stand out from the background a bit. Want to do a lighter, more pastel-ish yellow for the bubble/spotlight portion.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

A basic value study and an experiment w/ giving a shrimp a tutu. It sort of works if I can obscure the tail and remove the legs.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Bad news comes in twos

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

That feeling when he opens
the door for you
I'm loving your shrimp circus, Dog Nougat! I thing the lavender background works great, but I think the yellow spotlight needs to be subdued.

I'm playing around with different techniques, kind of of a quick hot mess, but I like it.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

more bugs!

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Did one final iterative sketch on the shrimp before moving on to painting today. Had to go dogsit today and foolishly forgot to see what colors of gouache and what weight watercolor paper I have on hand before coming over here (which is close to the art supply store). Not really the end of the world, but I'm jonesing to get going on this painting.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

dog nougat posted:

Did one final iterative sketch on the shrimp before moving on to painting today. Had to go dogsit today and foolishly forgot to see what colors of gouache and what weight watercolor paper I have on hand before coming over here (which is close to the art supply store). Not really the end of the world, but I'm jonesing to get going on this painting.

I have a question! Is it worth paying a bit more to get cotton rag paper just for experimenting on? I enjoy watercolour but I am faaaar from needing top-grade supplies. I just kinda want to see.

Today my post-vaccine fever inspired a little watercolour. This is a moleskine watercolour notebook and the Stuart Semple artist-grade watercolours. God they're nice and he sells them at cost so people like myself can afford to have them. Look at the blending on the planets. Paint so niiiice.

I don't know why it looks like there's a white spot in the middle of the orange planet. There isn't. lovely iphone camera.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

HopperUK posted:

I have a question! Is it worth paying a bit more to get cotton rag paper just for experimenting on? I enjoy watercolour but I am faaaar from needing top-grade supplies. I just kinda want to see.

Today my post-vaccine fever inspired a little watercolour. This is a moleskine watercolour notebook and the Stuart Semple artist-grade watercolours. God they're nice and he sells them at cost so people like myself can afford to have them. Look at the blending on the planets. Paint so niiiice.

I don't know why it looks like there's a white spot in the middle of the orange planet. There isn't. lovely iphone camera.

If you can afford it, yes. A sheet of good heavy watercolor paper is maybe like $10-15 max, but generally cheaper than that. Even if just to play around with, I think it's worth it to experiment with different media to find out what you like and don't like. I had the benefit of working at an art supply store while I was in college, so I basically got to cheat a bit and get things at a discount or just straight up steal them (:ssh:). While that's an outlier, I still think it's worth it to experiment and see what you like. Is it necessary? Absolutely not. The bigger benefit of heavier papers is that they're less prone to warping while you paint on them. It also depends on how you work with them. Some people wet the entire "canvas" before laying down paint, or apply a thin layer of gum arabic to some spots to change some subtle characteristics of how the paint and paper interact. You can get some interesting results with rubbing alcohol or salt (large flakes) applied to the wet paint as well. Really, just play around and get a feel for the medium. You don't need nice, fancy papers to do that, but they do tend to be nicer to work with.

So, yeah if you can afford a sheet, try it out. Cut it down into smaller pieces and get your money's worth out of the sheet. If you can't swing it, no biggie either. Just keep trying to create and learn from your mistakes along the way.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

HopperUK posted:

Re buying paper: it could be but it's also real easy to waste a lot of money that way. Advice I've received and followed: by a loose sheet of some nice paper from your local art supply shop (take down the details you need to get more of it, brand name, product name, etc). Then cut off of it to play around. If you're working at 8x10 size and cut off a few smaller pieces just to study how the paint behaves, then $8-$20 spent on two sheets (recommend one hot press and one cold press and maybe one rough ) will last 6-10 paintings which will be enough to know if you want to keep going and what kind of paper you want to invest in.

Since they're loose and not part of a pad, it'll help to wet the paper and mount it to a board with water soluble tape before painting and letting dry to avoid wrinkles while you work, but that isn't necessary. A dry mount on a piece of foam core with painters tape will serve to make the whole thing more wieldy and will run you about $5 plus an exacto knife.

The advantage to cotton paper is how it takes the paint but also that applying layers and friction to the same spot won't as easily pull up fibers or those little wet paper bits that'll show up. The point of those fancy looking rather expensive Arches or Holbein blocks is that they're gummed around all four edges and will mostly hold their shape if you paint right on them, no mounting necessary.

Edit: summary: if you want to see, I think $5 for a single sheet is a reasonable investment.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Cheers for the advice friends. I might nab a little bit next time I'm in an art supply store, so probably in the summer. :)

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

IMO good quality cotton paper is a really good quality of life improvement when trying to paint watercolour. Cheap brushes and cheap paint can be worked with, but cheap paper is just a pain. Consistency in the behaviour of the paper makes it easier to learn instead of struggling against the limitations of the paper.

In my experience, wood pulp paper has a tendency for the paint to sit as a bubble on top of the paper, causing blobbiness and smears because the paint doesn't sink into the fibres of the paper consistently. It also tends to buckle more, and doesn't accept glazes and doesn't like layering. It also dries quicker.

Cotton tends to remain moist more consistently across the entire page for longer giving you more time to work with, buckles less and accepts paint into the fibres more readily. It's just easier to work with once you understand it's properties and more versatile. You don't HAVE to buy the most expensive available, just start with something 100% cotton.

Or tl;dr get some 300g arches and Waterford Saunders, find out which one you like best and get it over with. (Personally I like Waterford).

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Concept I am working on for a mural. Not sure if I am going to paint this one or work on more robot leg development. I have a model and hats arriving in the mail so I would rather get a good photo before painting. Vintage hats are EXPENSIVE!

Found Sound
Jun 8, 2010

little fucker

Squidtamer DA
Jun 3, 2007
Squirts ink when provoked
I drew an entire fake stationary!

And as of a few days ago, I now own an entire real stationary!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

The cool S makes this. I adore it.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

HopperUK posted:

The cool S makes this. I adore it.

So cool!!

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

I DON'T WANNA

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

A2 is Cool and Good

NAG
Jul 13, 2009

Skin! Switched over to the DAUB Pigmento brush and bristle blender for this one

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

NAG posted:

this is really good

NAG
Jul 13, 2009

Thanks! Your creature designs have all been fantastic, as well.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

NAG posted:

Uh, this loving owns. You got an insta or something?

NAG
Jul 13, 2009

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

Uh, this loving owns. You got an insta or something?

Thank you - I don't have any social media accounts, sadly. I post a lot more in the GoonArt discord though.

Squidtamer DA
Jun 3, 2007
Thanks for all the kind stationary comments! It's definitely opened the door to realizing I can order my own stuff now which might be a good or bad thing for future gift giving.

Nag, your work is stunning as always and I'll keep saying it every time you post something.

Anyway I worked on a personal drawing recently and I'm really happy with how it turned out:

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
a section of the NES Zelda map given a makeover

transition

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Finally did another calendar drawing. Here's March.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Squidtamer DA posted:

Thanks for all the kind stationary comments! It's definitely opened the door to realizing I can order my own stuff now which might be a good or bad thing for future gift giving.

Where did you order it from?

Squidtamer DA
Jun 3, 2007

hallo spacedog posted:

Where did you order it from?

Vistaprint. They let you make custom designs and it was pretty affordable straightforward so I figured why not.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Squidtamer DA posted:

Vistaprint. They let you make custom designs and it was pretty affordable straightforward so I figured why not.

Thanks!

NAG
Jul 13, 2009

Thank you Squidtamer! I'm really excited about this new look you're exploring.

This is lovely, too! I love the blue hues in the shadows, it's such a non-intuitive choice but it really lifts the picture into a whole other realm.

I did some more work with the DAUB Pigmento brushes. Most of the time on this one was just spent painting light, which was really fun.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

NAG posted:

Thank you Squidtamer! I'm really excited about this new look you're exploring.

This is lovely, too! I love the blue hues in the shadows, it's such a non-intuitive choice but it really lifts the picture into a whole other realm.

I did some more work with the DAUB Pigmento brushes. Most of the time on this one was just spent painting light, which was really fun.

Wow. From Taxi Driver? ... I am guessing.

You have probably told me this before but what software are you using again? Photoshop?

NAG
Jul 13, 2009

sigma 6 posted:

Wow. From Taxi Driver? ... I am guessing.

You have probably told me this before but what software are you using again? Photoshop?

Yep, Taxi Driver. I am using Clip Studio Paint, and this drawing was made entirely using the DAUB Pigmento brush #8 and the bristle blend brush.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Smol mole friend stamp

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

hallo spacedog posted:

Smol mole friend stamp

:gerty:

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Did some doodling on this weird walking steampunk fish tank. Got a lil tired of working on the legs, and a friend came by. Trying to combine a sorta steampunk-ish aesthetic with some elements of baroque plate armor. Sort of mashing final fantasy 6 and the wild wild west together.

Edit: the wild wild west is a loving stupid movie, but the art direction is pretty drat awesome.

dog nougat fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Mar 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
I don't know why I did this...