Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I also think that crypo is a full on blight on the world, but it should get it's own thread with mod enforcement against drive by trolls, etc. Keep it out of the gpu thread. Other than that this subforum owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Gwaihir posted:

I also think that crypo is a full on blight on the world, but it should get it's own thread with mod enforcement against drive by trolls, etc.

Nah, I don't think a space where you're not allowed to make fun of a stupid thing is a good idea.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

denereal visease posted:

cross-posting this from the GPU thread

I don't think it makes sense to have two GPU threads split like that: would a new or returning builder have to post in one thread to figure out which card they want, then post in another thread to figure out how to get it in the 2021 hellscape?

I don't think it makes sense either. It's a thread that moves extremely quickly when there are announcements and new releases, and otherwise quite slowly. There's not really enough content to support both. The 'build a PC' thread can cover the basics of 'which GPU do I want to buy'.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Gwaihir posted:

I also think that crypo is a full on blight on the world, but it should get it's own thread with mod enforcement against drive by trolls, etc. Keep it out of the gpu thread. Other than that this subforum owns.

Nah, people can have opinions but that doesn't mean they are protected from having those opinions made fun of imo

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
To be clear I have no objection to that either lol. I was just trying to be slightly charitable.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
So that means crypto in the GPU thread is fine as long I post about it ironically, right?

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

CyberPingu posted:

Nah, people can have opinions but that doesn't mean they are protected from having those opinions made fun of imo

Hell yeah time to start clowning on goons whining about how they can't buy their luxury video game toys.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Stanley Pain posted:

So that means crypto in the GPU thread is fine as long I post about it ironically, right?

Try it and find out I guess.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bloopsy posted:

Hell yeah time to start clowning on goons whining about how they can't buy their luxury video game toys.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

CyberPingu posted:

im big on this but... there are some truces, you can't do full on cspam poo poo elsewhere, and the site has resisted the calls to close TFR many many times. There are definitely protected areas of discussion on SA.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Bloopsy posted:

I don't think making fun of that should be excluded either, but to me it's a curve. Someone sad that their card died and now they can't play games with their friends who they can't see due to covid is a lot different than someone lamenting that they're keeping their 2080 longer than they expected.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Inept posted:

I don't think making fun of that should be excluded either, but to me it's a curve. Someone sad that their card died and now they can't play games with their friends who they can't see due to covid is a lot different than someone lamenting that they're keeping their 2080 longer than they expected.

will you be heading the committee to decide who is not okay to rip on? Does every post need to be preceded by a justification?

Maybe less rules is the solution, not more.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Why are you making this weirdly hostile

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Anyways.

Talking w/ IE, we definitely got a few common threads appearing hear that I think we can find a path to improvement on (megathread reboot and/or converting OPs to pointers to 'new' OPs, some new threads, etc.). I would certainly be interested in hearing thoughts on our sub and sub-sub forums like CoC and HoTS -- are you guys happy with them? If you are just hearing about them now for the first time and are like "drat, I would hang out there if I knew about it", what should we have done to make that happen sooner? Should we just leave 'em as is?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

movax posted:

If you are just hearing about them now for the first time and are like "drat, I would hang out there if I knew about it", what should we have done to make that happen sooner?

"We are calling in regards to your forum's extended enormity"

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

movax posted:

Anyways.

Talking w/ IE, we definitely got a few common threads appearing hear that I think we can find a path to improvement on (megathread reboot and/or converting OPs to pointers to 'new' OPs, some new threads, etc.). I would certainly be interested in hearing thoughts on our sub and sub-sub forums like CoC and HoTS -- are you guys happy with them? If you are just hearing about them now for the first time and are like "drat, I would hang out there if I knew about it", what should we have done to make that happen sooner? Should we just leave 'em as is?

I used to post in HoTS a lot and I'd say it's always been fine. I don't know about the others.

Inept posted:

Why are you making this weirdly hostile

They are just very enthusiastic about their Dunning-Krugerrands.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

SyNack Sassimov posted:

You suck and you smell bad and your house smells bad and also you're a dumbo.

(Just wanted to fill in that giant gap so you can have the full SA experience. :tipshat: )

Thank you for yoru service.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
I missed pages 3 and 4, but I'll mention that the OP of the Chair Thread isn't really even an OP at all.

Someone wandered into the thread about a month ago and discussed making one with a proper OP, but nothing seemed to come of it.

Considering the depressingly high, considering the boringness of the subject matter amount of research I've done on the topic, I've considered trying to make a new thread with a big fancy OP that wouldn't come close to being as good as the Keyboard Thread's. However, I don't know if I have the time or motivation to do that, even if I knew how to begin something like that. :sigh: I don't wanna just unilaterally be like "okay this thread sucks I'm making a new one, get in fuckers" so . . . I don't even know how any of that works! :v:

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Zarin posted:

I missed pages 3 and 4, but I'll mention that the OP of the Chair Thread isn't really even an OP at all.

Someone wandered into the thread about a month ago and discussed making one with a proper OP, but nothing seemed to come of it.

Considering the depressingly high, considering the boringness of the subject matter amount of research I've done on the topic, I've considered trying to make a new thread with a big fancy OP that wouldn't come close to being as good as the Keyboard Thread's. However, I don't know if I have the time or motivation to do that, even if I knew how to begin something like that. :sigh: I don't wanna just unilaterally be like "okay this thread sucks I'm making a new one, get in fuckers" so . . . I don't even know how any of that works! :v:

You don't need permission, just make the OP and post it, and link the new thread in the old thread and everyone will move. Maybe ask a mod to close the old one but other than that :shrug:

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
The YOSPOS subforum crypto thread is the best possible discussion of crypto, but if cryptobros want to post in the GPU thread to get clowned on by all the gamers mad about every GPU being 500% of MSRP right now, then :lol:

Fauxtool posted:

The GPU thread is heavily overmoderated. It goes from having a healthy discussion to half of the active members being suspended and no new posts happening for 24hours. Actual gpu news like AMD potentially making mining gpus is not being discussed because people fear the mods

Mining on GPUs is absolutely on topic in the GPU thread. The amount of new posters unaware of the unilaterally decided "no crypto" rule coming in to talk about it is proof of that.

Fauxtool posted:

will you be heading the committee to decide who is not okay to rip on? Does every post need to be preceded by a justification?

Maybe less rules is the solution, not more.

https://twitter.com/widdershiins/status/1370013969734324227
  • Crypto bro
  • Anime avatar
  • Trump avatar
  • Crypto nazi slogan
What a coincidence...

:thunk:

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Can we rename this thread to SH/SC GPU Feedback Thread please?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Mustache Ride posted:

Can we rename this thread to SH/SC GPU Feedback Thread please?

Which gpu is best for cryptomining? Tia

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Which gpu is best for cryptomining? Tia

The largest one obviously. You need to attach it to the end of a sturdy stick

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Re crypto/GPU thread split:

Does crypto talk prevent anyone from talking about GPUs or getting GPU related questions answered?

I’d say leave the GPU thread alone and let the crypto talk exist within it. If there were pages of people asking about how to clock/volt their GPUs exclusively for mining, that would be an easy decision. Crypto sucks and I hate it, but right now it seems like the two are very tightly linked.

On the flipside, splitting it into two threads doesn’t cost anything, and it’s a reversible decision. So it can’t hurt to try. But in this dumb poster’s opinion, splitting threads seems more trouble than it’s worth.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
I've thought about it for a few days and I guess my argument would be: when I am thinking "is this appropriate for the GPU thread" in my head I'm thinking "if there was a separate crypto thread, would I still post this in here?" More or less - is this directly relating to GPUs, or is this only related to GPUs because crypto is mined on GPUs, admittedly a fine point. Here's some recent examples, using my own posts so no one feels called out.

CoolCab posted:

yeah easily. the 3060ti is the mining sweet spot, if any of the stack are genuinely being directly impacted it is that one. might change with the 3060 now mining tho.

Here, my logic is something like 1) we're discussing shortages and 2) some of the products are more impacted by one element of the shortage or another so 3) it's appropriate to mention that element, crypto, is probably the cause of this particular spike in demand. Similarly:

CoolCab posted:

i hear ya, but:

right now there is a 400 dollar mining premium - while the 3060ti and 3070 flirt with price parity. there are other elements at play (ie, the 3060ti and 3060 not being as comparable as the ti is with the 3070) but i would suggest this indicates the strategy has impacted demand.

Here, again - I think I would be justified making this post even if there was a separate crypto space. We are discussing and digesting the possible reasons for the shortages and GPU pricing, and much like we will occasionally discuss the pandemic or tariffs in that context we kind of have to address crypto - no sense in enforcing an elephant in the room.

I think my feedback would be, this is about the level I would prefer. We can talk about just about anything - if tomorrow China or whoever decides to nationalize all the factories and seize all GPU production we would probably need to talk about, without making the thread about, similarly sticky hot topics, but we wouldn't make the thread about China or nationalization or w/e. I think that's the best way to think about it - if the thread ceases to be about GPUs and instead is about something else, that's when we have a problem.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Crypto weirdos just can't help themselves. They pollute every thread they touch as much as they pollute the environment.

Toxic waste dump their posts to their own threads.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

The problem with cryptocurrency and the GPU thread is that a lot of people like cryptocurrency and a lot of people hate cryptocurrency so it changes from a GPU thread to an “arguing about whether or not cryptocurrency is good or bad” thread.

This feels like a discussion that would be much better handled in a dedicated cryptocurrency thread.

Apparently the pro cryptocurrency people aren’t willing to do that because they get made fun heavily in those threads in the past.

I offer no solution other than saying I better be allowed to call cryptocurrency a scam everywhere because it is.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I use SH/SC for work! It's a great resource when I can say "I talked to some other sysadmins I know and they all agree not to roll your own crypto" or whatever weird thing my clients want to do that day.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Sickening posted:

Crypto weirdos just can't help themselves. They pollute every thread they touch as much as they pollute the environment.

Toxic waste dump their posts to their own threads.

What the gently caress is this post?

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
A good post, both true and funny

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

i am a moron posted:

A good post, both true and funny

I guess you are what you are.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

How many points are used modding the gpu thread? If it’s 5 points then just kill crypto currency talk. In fact do that period until every crypto currency idiot posts their donations to offset their carbon footprint. When you see them donate to grow 10k trees then they should be able to post.

E: you can buy this post on the nft market you idiots.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I saw this come through my feed today:

https://twitter.com/coreteks/status/1372666130473619462
https://twitter.com/HardwareUnboxed/status/1372820780430417921

I guess this is more of a question, but would this sort of thing be germane to the GPU thread? does it go into Games? would it be appropriate/necessary to have a "techtuber/tech reviewer" thread separately?

I don't really know how many other posters here frequent this side of youtube, or the written tech review media, but I thought the subject matter of "what games SHOULD be used in benchmarks?" was interesting even without getting into whatever particular drama is getting raised by that first tweet

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

let the anger flow through your salt beef filling

gradenko_2000 posted:

youtube nerd drama

The thread you're talking about exists! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3859604

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

much obliged!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

I saw this come through my feed today:

Looks like you got your answer, but on whether this should go in the YouTube Nerd Drama thread or the GPU thread, I personally would make the call of "is this a significant event in the GPU industry, or is this just YT drama?" With my only context being the tweets you linked, I'd lean towards the later. And keep in mind discussions could be had in both threads, no real rule against that and it happens pretty often in other SH/SC threads.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I know movax and a few others already mentioned interest in a non-x86 architectures megathread but I'd also be really interested in one. Would be super fun to chat about RISC-V and stuff in there.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

:justpost:

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

I want to start a thread about cool tools. I just found this https://github.com/fiatjaf/jiq but I don’t have effort to keep it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Thanks everyone for participating in the feedback thread. Sorry for the lack of updates, I was moving over the past week and have been a bit preoccupied. movax and I will get together and put together some thoughts / findings and post them here for further feedback.

In good news, I don't think we had a single report over the week I was moving, so thanks SH/SC for being awesome.