Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

We're finally back! Now that the students of UA have gotten that whole Overhaul business behind them, it's time to get back to the stuff that really matters: school testing! It's 1-A versus 1-B in a fight for all....the....well I guess just full marks.

It's every Saturday, starting today!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8bmv-14OVI

Characters

Izuku "Deku" Midoriya (Daiki Yamashita, Justin Briner)
Quirk: One For All
After his internship with Sir Nighteye and learning that Mirio was the first candidate for One For All, Deku had his doubts, but he's more than proven himself the worthy successor to All Might.

Toshinori "All Might" Yagi (Kenta Miyake, Chris Sabat)
Quirk: One For All Quirkless
All Might's settling into retired life, still acting as UA faculty and leaving the hero duties to the new generation of heroes. And Endeavor. But gently caress him.

Katsuki "Lord Explosion Murder" Bakugo (Nobuhiko Okamoto, Clifford Chapin)
Quirk: Explosion
Bakugou is still Bakugou, I suppose. We'll get through to him eventually. He's the only one outside of Deku and All Might who knows about One For All.

Tomura Shigaraki (Kōki Uchiyama, Eric Vale)
Quirk: Disintegration
This guy just kinda up and disappeared after the whole Overhaul thing! I wonder what he's up to.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Mar 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Hmm, ok, I've not read the manga, but I feel like the pictures of Shinso are alluding to story beats we haven't had yet?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I'm not posting anything that they haven't put in the promo art or trailers. He's central in the promo art, so I put him in.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Mar 27, 2021

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Waffleman_ posted:

A student of class 1-B discriminated against for his seemingly villainous quirk.

This is not correct. He is part of 1-C and not part of the hero course.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Ah gently caress I misremembered. Screw it then. Key art stays up since that's official promo material and not spoilers.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So the new ep comes out today, right? What actual time, though?

Gonna watch it on Funi since it's simuldubbed I hope.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It was up at 5:30 eastern and no plans of a simuldub.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
The trailer for the new movie was also revealed today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-zXGtewgPo

I can't believe Deku is a mass murderer.

I should note that the movie takes place during an arc that we might see the start of at the end of this season. It's unclear how much it will spoil about the rest of the season, so be careful about looking up info about the movie if you don't want to see that stuff.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

So the new ep comes out today, right? What actual time, though?

Gonna watch it on Funi since it's simuldubbed I hope.

It’s already out and no, it’s not simuldubbed this time. I imagine the dub will start soon though.

It’s actually not a recap for once but it’s still technically filler (not terrible though). I have to say, I’m not a huge fan of the new OP and ED (and yes, the OP does technically contain spoilers regarding a certain character)

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Also didn't care much for the new tunes but the OP does prominently feature Shinsou in it so it's not exactly a spoiler that he's coming back into focus. First episode was cute if kind of garbage filler to remind the audience what everybody's powers are.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

This is like the first recap episode that actually touches upon what happened in the previous season. Pretty good for the first fare of the year

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

First episode is ok but It sucks they big three just kinda lose immediately except Mirio

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Mirio just floating down the river with that silly face of his was my favorite bit :D

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Mirio was definitely the highlight of the episode.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
This is a better recap episode than the last few seasons in terms of connecting the seasons but wow did it look fairly cheap. I mean, I get it since this is pure filler to tee up the incoming canon content but lol at avoiding animating Shoto's ice via hard cuts. Also it has been so long that I can tell how off-model Deku is from Umakoshi's original designs.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
This was really, really poor. I don't really notice animation unless its really clunky but it was just bad. The episode in general was pretty rubbish even down to the voice acting. I guess they're chucking all the talent at the movie again?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

No, I think this was just the recap episode so not a lot of resources went into it.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I liked the episode. You all made it sound like it was horrible, but as a recap, it was pretty good with some really fun moments with Mirio, Kirishima and Bakugo. Glad the show is back.

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!
They're not likely to be inclined to use alot of their time and effort on the recap episode they're forced to make by the network. Lets wait and see how next week turns out.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Ill watch heroes rising whenever i want

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Still no dub. Disappointing. I hope it isn't gonna be lagging far behind like last year.

God I'm so spoiled. I remember how far behind Naruto, and pretty much ALL anime , were once upon a time. And in terms of current anime there's how far behind One Piece is. Here I am complaining about a few days and one episode.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

Still no dub. Disappointing. I hope it isn't gonna be lagging far behind like last year.

Pandemic.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Spinning happy water Mirio is the greatest thing

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Tatsuta Age posted:

Spinning happy water Mirio is the greatest thing

:yeah: This was way better than the recap episode with the reporter from last season.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Nanigans posted:

:yeah: This was way better than the recap episode with the reporter from last season.

The reporter episode was still better than the pool episode from the season before, which was better than the literal, no gimmicks recap episode from season 2.

At this current rate, in season 13 we'll get an objectively good season opener.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
the new opening theme is blah in both music and animation, but then ending theme is great. anytime the class members show up in casual clothes is fun

overall the recap episode wasn't bad for a recap episode, but it was a bit jarring for them to randomly undue a bunch of bakugo's character development for an episode wrap gag. that bit seemed way more aggro than he's been written since like season 2. i'm willing to overlook it though, as the proceeding bit where bakugo, kirishima, and kaminari steal a car was just delightful

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
hype for more tetsutetsu tetsutetsu

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

everybody agrees that Peace Sign is the best op right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7w5IMyJ3pM

edit actually now that I've rewatched them all so far I kinda like the gentle criminal arc one more lol

Tatsuta Age fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Mar 29, 2021

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Why is Todoroki the guy with ice powers just awkwardly running after the drowning victim?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Mulderman posted:

Why is Todoroki the guy with ice powers just awkwardly running after the drowning victim?
Why is the frog not just jumping in the river and saving Mirio. I mean freezing the guy in the water wouldn't be a great idea, so I get Todoroki not doing it- but Tsuyu's whole thing is that she's at home in the water.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Well she did it once (and later again)

But at the very least Todoroki could have blocked off that part of the river and prevent the victim from floating too far away.
But just create an ice platform underneath him then use your fire powers to heat the guy up.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
If y'all didn't watch the post-credits scene, you may want to go back and do so. 🙂

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
Recap filler isn't so bad. At least they limit the filter, unlike the year+ of Naruto and Bleach fillers we got back in the day.

They could have just paused everything and padded with the adventures of Shima, underclassman in the Plus Ultra business school classes, with riveting plots about training to handle insurance adjustments in a superhero world.

I'll take the season breaks over that any day.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, typically when MHA does filler it’s usually like an episode or two tops as opposed to entire arcs like some other anime that still runs as one continuous batch.

Though thankfully those kind of shows don’t seem to be done much these days (I think Naruto/Boruto, One Piece, and Detective Conan are the only currently running exceptions I can think of).

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I'm trying to imagine One Piece as a seasonal anime

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Black Clover is also always running.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

christmas boots posted:

I'm trying to imagine One Piece as a seasonal anime

Honestly that’d probably be better than the current setup (where they’re down to adapting maybe a chapter or two per episode).

Hell, the show’s current setup is arguably worse than just having literal filler arcs would be in my opinion

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Larryb posted:

Honestly that’d probably be better than the current setup (where they’re down to adapting maybe a chapter or two per episode).

Hell, the show’s current setup is arguably worse than just having literal filler arcs would be in my opinion

Yeah, but some arcs feel like they would be kind of awkward to fit into a 24 episode span, even if you cut out the padding. Now granted, I haven't seen the Alabasta or Skypeia movies so maybe it's doable but still

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Black Clover is also always running.

Was.

The final episode airs today in Japan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Was.

The final episode airs today in Japan.

Attack on Titan has shown us that the definition of the word "final" is up for debate.