Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
I accidentally left the game running basically an entire day when I was playing mh rise

I had ~ 6 or 7 miners going in grand exchange. Was going well, they pulled 62k per go and had no problems staying in sector.

Got on the pooter this morning and saw I had 55 million and 5 less miners. I guess they got blowed up somewhere.

Anyway I kinda feel like just leaving the game running is cheating and I am somewhat tempted to restart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Anyway I've gotten the basic level research for all types of ship mods done

... how do I mod a ship?

EDIT: also what faction do I want for combat engines and shields?

EDIT: third question: what do I want to set things to if I want my hull parts station to only buy raw ore if it's extremely low? if I set the "buy order amount" to low, will the miners directly assigned to it keep mining even when it's got more than that?

Zereth fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Mar 30, 2021

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Zereth posted:

Anyway I've gotten the basic level research for all types of ship mods done

... how do I mod a ship?

EDIT: also what faction do I want for combat engines and shields?

mod componenets are gotten from combat drops or sometimes from station vendors, personally i find it annoying since the process of grabbing drops is annoying so i just added a mod that sells all the components at stations. You mod you ship by going to a workbench in a relevant shipyard (warf for S/M, shipyard for L/XL) and going to the ship vendor location in the station.

Terran shields right now are amazing, but if you cant get that i think teladi and paranid have the highest capacity? Split engines are the fastest, but terran engines have amazing acceleration so while your split engines are still spooling up, the terran engines are halfway across the map.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Terran shields are great because they're the only race with Mk. 3 versions for M and L sizes, but they come at hefty price. In the S class though, other races have comparable Mk 3. shields as well.

Terran drives have really low top speed. This is fine in travel mode because the acceleration is so incredible, but it honestly kind of sucks outside of travel mode unless you're flying a Katana which is inherently so absurdly fast that it compensates for that weakness. If you're planning to do a lot of combat and flying something that's not the Katana, then you might want to think twice about Terran drives because it's a legitimate trade off.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The only downside the katana has really is its fairly bad turning speed makes it tougher to keep things in your sights and even that hardly matters if you just tap thrusters and spin after a sec, I love it

Well I lied the second downside is it's chunkier than it used to be

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Ardryn posted:

The station mules try to only take stuff when they can mostly fill their cargo holds, checking the allow low volumes will override that but will obviously let them get away with very small loads and yeah they will supply your other stations in the same system unless you check serve source only. If you want to make the mules prefer your stuff then setting a supply mule and putting its player buy mod to 0 will make it think your stuff is free to buy at your factories.

https://github.com/Misunderstood-Wookiee/Mules-and-Warehouses-Extended/blob/Public/README.md This would probably have been a good thing to link when I started talking about the mod.

Ah ok. I'll play around with it some more. Though the Player Buy Mod is a little annoying. I saw it and thought "Buy my stuff 100% of the time." So I had it maxed out. Whoops :v:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

ughhhh posted:

You mod you ship by going to a workbench in a relevant shipyard (warf for S/M, shipyard for L/XL) and going to the ship vendor location in the station.
... Okay that is the screen I get when I choose to "redesign" a ship form the right-click menu. But I can only... actually DO anything in the menu if i'm staring at a workbench, of the right type?

:psylon:

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Zereth posted:

... Okay that is the screen I get when I choose to "redesign" a ship form the right-click menu. But I can only... actually DO anything in the menu if i'm staring at a workbench, of the right type?

:psylon:

I never knew you could access that menu from the ship...

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Technically you can change paintjobs there, but the modding options are all there but greyed out so you cant' select the category.

EDIT: wait, let me check something...

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

Zereth posted:

Do marines learn to marine better in the base game without actually doing boarding actions?

Sorry to get back to you so slowly,
I have no idea.
wall of text:
Some parts of the game are wonky, and unfortunately the guy who basically made a career out of making these games, considers that jank is essential when reminded of its existance, i mean, the games are a labour of lover, by mad autists, and mad autists like myself love them with a passion bordering on trainspotting,
more on this in a second,
you also asked "got bigger ship, what do" its a teladi ship, so its options are going to be more along the lines of trade or piracy with it, its more resilient than the small ships, but also rather slow, again, if its the largest ship you have at the moment, you could look through all your crew and find the best one, swap them out to that ship, and autotrade with it.
Sticking to the small, but faster and more agile ships to do stuff in until you get something like a Nemesis, Dragon or another larger ship that can actually fight.

Getting back to jank, there are a lot of mods that sidestep some of the questionable choices in game design, and some QoL changes as well. any one of your staff take forever to level up, so ppl use mods to at the very least take some of the pain out of getting 3 star or more captains, again, its another problem that throwing money at occasionally solves, if you buy a bunch of s sized small trading ships, say, 5 per faction you can trade with, and set them loose they will hopefully make a small bit of profit, but more importantly train whoever is aboard them while they bump about, and a nice side effect of lots of small trades is getting some gradual faction standings in the background while you do stuff like getting the hq going or whatever.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I already had some traders and miners, I took the advice to strip and sell it and buy a Nemesis and it's pretty good. Faster than the heavy fighter I was driving (although that might be the Mk3 vs Mk2 engines.)

Also I just checked, I had a ship dock at a wharf and tried to "redesign" it form right-click and couldn't select mods. :mad:

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
Is there any mod or tool that makes visualizing trade/ware info in the universe better/easier? The weird limitation of the 5 wares/only one station per ware on the filter thing is kinda dumb.

Ideally, I'm thinking either something that can get total amounts of wares needed for a filter, or something akin to the old Scorp Map tool from X3

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Zereth posted:

I already had some traders and miners, I took the advice to strip and sell it and buy a Nemesis and it's pretty good. Faster than the heavy fighter I was driving (although that might be the Mk3 vs Mk2 engines.)

Also I just checked, I had a ship dock at a wharf and tried to "redesign" it form right-click and couldn't select mods. :mad:

I still can't find which ones I can even make at the moment with my inventory, it's just a black screen at the bench

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Ardryn posted:

The station mules try to only take stuff when they can mostly fill their cargo holds, checking the allow low volumes will override that but will obviously let them get away with very small loads and yeah they will supply your other stations in the same system unless you check serve source only. If you want to make the mules prefer your stuff then setting a supply mule and putting its player buy mod to 0 will make it think your stuff is free to buy at your factories.

https://github.com/Misunderstood-Wookiee/Mules-and-Warehouses-Extended/blob/Public/README.md This would probably have been a good thing to link when I started talking about the mod.

I fiddled with it some more and I can't seem to make Station Mules work. I'm trying to get a mule to run between my Hull Part factory and the Wharf. But he just won't do it. I set him up and just just turns into a supply mule and grabs anything the Wharf needs instead of Hull Parts.

I've tried flipping the "Source" and "Target" stations, but it seems to make no difference. He'll always go get Antimatter cells or Engine Parts or pretty much anything but Hull Parts. I also tried "Assign Ship to Station", but that didn't help either. What am I doing wrong?

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Zereth posted:

Yep, you've got to do it at the Ship Dealer once docked at the wharf. There's a workbench in the Ship Dealer's shop you can interact with like the crafting table and it opens up that redesign interface except now instead of changing paintmods you can apply ship mods.

I recommend the weight reduction hull mod as it improves handling and speed and more shields is always a safe bet. I've mucked about with the differing engine mods but haven't decided which one I like most, and I haven't had enough weapon mods to go mess about with those options. I don't like the randomness of the mod process and after playing with it a bit I just went ahead and installed this mod https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2397287740

ZombyDog fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Mar 30, 2021

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

Travic posted:

I fiddled with it some more and I can't seem to make Station Mules work. I'm trying to get a mule to run between my Hull Part factory and the Wharf. But he just won't do it. I set him up and just just turns into a supply mule and grabs anything the Wharf needs instead of Hull Parts.

I've tried flipping the "Source" and "Target" stations, but it seems to make no difference. He'll always go get Antimatter cells or Engine Parts or pretty much anything but Hull Parts. I also tried "Assign Ship to Station", but that didn't help either. What am I doing wrong?

Looking over the readme and the creator's thread, I'm not sure there is a way to make the station mule only take one output. That's something the supply mule can definitely do with the serve source station only toggle at least. I had similar problems in the past, and for the most part it was either accept the station mule prioritizing large volume requests like the antimatter cells, or use the supply mule chained with the serve source option, or just flood the wharf with enough transports feeding it to make one of them take the hull parts.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Tabletops posted:

I accidentally left the game running basically an entire day when I was playing mh rise

I had ~ 6 or 7 miners going in grand exchange. Was going well, they pulled 62k per go and had no problems staying in sector.

Got on the pooter this morning and saw I had 55 million and 5 less miners. I guess they got blowed up somewhere.

Anyway I kinda feel like just leaving the game running is cheating and I am somewhat tempted to restart

55 million is nothing, keep going.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Ardryn posted:

Looking over the readme and the creator's thread, I'm not sure there is a way to make the station mule only take one output. That's something the supply mule can definitely do with the serve source station only toggle at least. I had similar problems in the past, and for the most part it was either accept the station mule prioritizing large volume requests like the antimatter cells, or use the supply mule chained with the serve source option, or just flood the wharf with enough transports feeding it to make one of them take the hull parts.

Ah ok. The reason I'm so fixated on a single ware is I'm burning through Hull Parts so fast.

Travic fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Mar 30, 2021

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I feel like I spend a lot of time managing my empire from the map while my pilot flies around doing whatever. I wish there was like a little staff lounge on my ship that I could do it from, instead of standing behind the pilot. Even better if it could also be somewhere that would allow the pilot to behave as though I was out of the sector for combat and navigation. Then if things are particularly hairy I could head to the bridge and take over.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

After playing with VRO for about 20 hours I can safely say I don’t recommend it. Some of the new ships are cool, some very much aren’t, and I don’t think their attitude toward combat is a good one.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

NeurosisHead posted:

I feel like I spend a lot of time managing my empire from the map while my pilot flies around doing whatever. I wish there was like a little staff lounge on my ship that I could do it from, instead of standing behind the pilot. Even better if it could also be somewhere that would allow the pilot to behave as though I was out of the sector for combat and navigation. Then if things are particularly hairy I could head to the bridge and take over.

Hanging out on a station and teleporting to the ship when necessary seems like it would accomplish this, though I guess it's not the same thematically.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

chglcu posted:

Hanging out on a station and teleporting to the ship when necessary seems like it would accomplish this, though I guess it's not the same thematically.

Yeah for larger ships I want a Captain’s Ready Room or a chair on the bridge to sit in Star Trek style.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I'm going to reignite the Terran Conflict. Got my factories in place to pump ANT/ARG. Hopefully this weakens the Terran/HOP enough to give the Xenon some breathing room. :c00lbert:

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Where did you place your factories/what do you have setup? I have a minor setup in hatikvas choice just for this plan I am working towards. But having a real hard time getting mineral miners to mine anything.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I have a cluster of factories in Grand Exchange. It's three gates to Argon Prime so that's perfect, and if need arises I can set up a trade station there and ferry wares via repeat order.

I have the usual stuff. Hull Parts, Claytronics, Turret Components, Advanced Electronics, Engine Parts (almost finished).

My miners are restricted to Grand Exchange and Black Hole Sun V and that seems to work fine.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

NeurosisHead posted:

Gotta stand right over your pilot's shoulder, make him nervous. Occasionally clear your throat or sigh disappointedly but don't say anything.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

ughhhh posted:

Where did you place your factories/what do you have setup? I have a minor setup in hatikvas choice just for this plan I am working towards. But having a real hard time getting mineral miners to mine anything.

I use Grand Exchange. The five jumps you get from a good manager gets you pretty much everywhere except for Split and Terran space. I started off with Hull Parts since that is a gold mine then I just built factories to feed my Wharf.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
I'm about to build my first wharf in my Curb playthrough, trying to raise 400m for them. I'm going to buy a bunch of S ship blueprints and I guess engines - is that the bare minimum? Or do purchasers require all possible equipment?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

chglcu posted:

I believe you have to manually get a ship to transfer them from the station's storage to the build storage. I haven't seen the automatic traders do that for you so far.

It's incredibly stupid that there isn't a slider for this anywhere.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Does anybody know why the graphics seem to blur at either horizontal edge? E:NVM it's chromatic aberration, turning that poo poo off.

Also, turbolifts and stations still plummet my fps and send my GPU into overdrive. Are they still doing that thing where they are rendering everything behind what you actually see?

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Also, turbolifts and stations still plummet my fps and send my GPU into overdrive. Are they still doing that thing where they are rendering everything behind what you actually see?
Weird I've never had that happen, frame rate seems consistent (with vsync off).

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't know if the game has occlusion culling because you can build stations however you want and they're entirely modular so the occlusion calculations would get more complicated as you build poo poo and you would constantly have tiny glimpses of stuff through other stuff.

Basically just don't build big stations and sit in them and expect the game to run well, is the thing. Not much you can do about that if you give the player the ability to build as big and as dense as they want.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Less Fat Luke posted:

Weird I've never had that happen, frame rate seems consistent (with vsync off).

Yeah my GPU usage spikes to 99% and frame rates drop to about 50fps when walking around a station / entering a turbolift. The more space (like stars and black and planets and poo poo) you have in your view, the higher you fps. This is at 4k on a RTX3080. However, I noticed the same behavior on a GTX1080 at 1080p. Dropping to 1080p (but with 2xSSAA) does not see 99% usage anymore on my 3080, but it'll go from 40~ to 85~ just by being on a station or in a turbolift and fps still drops.

IIRC the explanation for this in the early days of X4 was that the game was rendering everything you couldn't see, and when you're on the station LOD forces things to render at high detail / geometry because you're close to it.

All maxed except chromatic aberration off and vsync off.

However I've also got really crappy 2933 cl21 ram and I know that X4 loves good fast ram.

OwlFancier posted:

I don't know if the game has occlusion culling because you can build stations however you want and they're entirely modular so the occlusion calculations would get more complicated as you build poo poo and you would constantly have tiny glimpses of stuff through other stuff.

Yeah that makes sense that they don't have that kind of occlusion culling. However, it's happening on just the vanilla stations (I only just started terran cadet).

OwlFancier posted:

Basically just don't build big stations and sit in them and expect the game to run well, is the thing. Not much you can do about that if you give the player the ability to build as big and as dense as they want.

Ha I just remembered that I built this thing and I basically couldn't get anywhere near it:

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Mar 31, 2021

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Yeah so I took some quick screenshots. This is at 1080p. The GPU usage in the turbolift is seriously hosed when looking in certain directions (top left corner for gpu info). They must still be rendering everything behind it at high LOD as the first screenshot has a big patch of just space and usage is much lower. I guess it makes sense with OwlFancier's explanation above.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Mar 31, 2021

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Oops, I didn't realize I was this behind on the thread..

Antigravitas posted:

I wonder if I can completely bootstrap the Yaki into a full faction.
There seems to be a quest-line where you get to build Yaki into terran space, and possibly help them take over the universe.
At least that's what I'm hoping happens, as I'm playing it right now.

timn posted:

Split Chimera! It has five guns and is absurdly fast and maneuverable. It's so expensive though that by the time you're in the running for one you might want to consider one of the fast corvettes instead
I get an immense pleasure out of zooming around in the Yaki Kuraokami, which is essentially just a Paranid Nemesis Sentinel, but faster and with better maneuvering.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Mar 31, 2021

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

... My Supply Mule does not appear to be buying research materials for my player HQ for some reason.

EDIT: also is there a way to blacklist, like, individual parts of sectors so my ship stops flying through the hazardous zone in The Void?

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Oops, I didn't realize I was this behind on the thread..

There seems to be a quest-line where you get to build Yaki into terran space, and possibly help them take over the universe.
At least that's what I'm hoping happens, as I'm playing it right now.

I get an immense pleasure out of zooming around in the Yaki Kuraokami, which is essentially just a Paranid Nemesis Sentinel, but faster and with better maneuvering.
Yaki outcomes as I understand it.
1) You tell Terran Command they're a threat and They'll send in a fleet into Savage Spur and nuke the Yaki and you get a free Destroyer
2) You tell Terran Command they're unorganised They won't send in a fleet to nuke the Yaki and you still get a free Destroyer

If you take option 1 that's it for the Yaki. If you take option 2 then we have a couple more outcomes.

A) You trigger the Xenon Amp by laying beacons to Earth and causes the Xenon to focus on a war with the Terrans, Yaki stay stuck in their symbiotic relationship with the Xenon and your former Terran wingmate ( if you took the Cadet start ) will go hostile and try to warn Earth, and if he succeeds the Terrans will go Hostile on you as well

B) You destroy the Xenon Amp, you'll have some hardliner Yaki go hostile while you're doing it and you'll also be fending off Xenon ships as well ( your free Destroyer really helps here by the way ), but once it's destroyed you should go back to being positive with the Yaki and you'll gain Haille(sp?) and his Yaki corvette as well. You'll then get a message from Busta who suggests that if you clean out the Xenon sectors ( Savage Spur, Tharka's Cascade and Matrix79B ) the Yaki will become a fully fledged faction.

Option A sounds really bad at first but the Xenon invasion is reportedly pretty weak sauce, if you destroy Haille before he narks on you you won't lose Terran faction standing and Terrans at war means more opportunity for your Industry to take over , Option B will require a decent fleet I thought I would give it a try with my Syn, a bunch of Pheonix's looted from SCA and the abandoned Odysseus and I couldn't even dent a Xenon SPP while OOS and I don't know what Yaki as a fully fledged faction actually entails.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Yeah so I took some quick screenshots. This is at 1080p. The GPU usage in the turbolift is seriously hosed when looking in certain directions (top left corner for gpu info). They must still be rendering everything behind it at high LOD as the first screenshot has a big patch of just space and usage is much lower. I guess it makes sense with OwlFancier's explanation above.

As a suggestion if you have reflections turned up, turn them right down, they use an insane amount of power to process presumably because it is calculating it for every drat surface, it looks nice but it runs like utter poo poo on my, admittedly, significantly weaker PC.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

As a suggestion if you have reflections turned up, turn them right down, they use an insane amount of power to process presumably because it is calculating it for every drat surface, it looks nice but it runs like utter poo poo on my, admittedly, significantly weaker PC.

Cheers, I'll give that a try. I remember that being a performance guzzler on the old gpu, too. The reflections are pretty, though, but 80mm gpu fans blasting is not worth it and moving back to 4k native would be nice, if only for alt-tabbing to station planner purposes.

E: Okay, tried turning screen space reflections off, and here I am in the turbolift of my ship that's flying around in space in Mars sector and I'm still getting like 98% GPU usage and fans blasting. Maybe I've hosed something up either with mods or my pc. I can't remember how I solved this problem on my GTX1080 a year ago... maybe its SSAO. Going to try that.

E2: Not SSAO. gently caress it don't care anymore. I'm just going to cap frames at 60 and play at 1080p.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Mar 31, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Is there a way to tell my HQ to buy things at above market price to get research done faster?

EDIT: also if I want to dedicate a trader to farming terran faction rep, where would I find a list of the terran wares?

Zereth fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Mar 31, 2021