Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

I'd probably say BL. I personally enjoy GD more (and the final map rules), but BL is probably better crafted as a whole, and I think you'll get a little more unique content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I would recommend GD just because the middle point of the BL route story is so infuriating.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Hmmm. So is only the final map of each different?

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Hmmm. So is only the final map of each different?

The two campaigns reach a similar point near the end, but GD has two extra maps beyond that (whereas that’s the ending for BL), and BL has a pair of unique maps before then. The starting position of the player's army and the composition of the enemies tend to differ even on the shared maps.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Walla posted:

So how viable would it be to raise Edward, Nolan and Leonardo for endgame on American Normal? Let's assume we take Jill to the Tower as well. On a scale from Relatively Simple to a Hellish Nightmare?
100% viable. You get so much EXP, both from BEXP and enemies in Part 4 that you can power level characters from low Tier 2 all the way to mid Tier 3 by the time the actual Endgame starts, no problem. There are no actual bad units in Radiant Dawn, only units given to you at bad times. Even Meg and Fiona are totally fine (except that Paladins in general aren't so great in RD due to map design), it's just that it's very hard to put them to good use for much of the game. Eddie, Nolan and Leo are all much more usable, and I'd venture to say that a good Nolan especially will make your life a lot easier.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I was so confused when I played RD and tried to use Nolan in part 4.

“He’s a level 15 warrior, why is he getting his rear end kicked by level 1 promoted class enemies?”

Oh…

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Strange Matter posted:

There are no actual bad units in Radiant Dawn, only units given to you at bad times.
i think this is a totally meaningless distinction. like, i know what you mean to say here, that all units have the potential to have good stats. but when the end result is that there's units in the game that are easy to use and ones that are hard to use, those hard to use units are the bad units.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, if we use that distinction then Wendy/Gwendolyn is a good unit and umm, idk that’s going too far.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Strange Matter posted:

In the absence of actual characterization, my wife and I assigned the DB the following personalities:

Edward: Shulk
Nolan: Dunban
Leonardo: Joey Wheeler

this is extremely rude to joey wheeler

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Alright, I have decided.

I’ll just do both campaigns.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Blue Lions route was fun. Didn’t love the last map. Let’s see if I can finish off Verdant Wind before this weekend. Does it has 22 chapters as well or is it longer?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Blue Lions route was fun. Didn’t love the last map. Let’s see if I can finish off Verdant Wind before this weekend. Does it has 22 chapters as well or is it longer?
It has the same amount of chapters as Azure Moon.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I actually really liked the BL final map. By far my favorite of the four.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Crimson Flower is sooo close to being a great final map but the overuse of the fire terrain ruined it.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Goddamn I tore through Nemesis’ army on the VW finale. And of course the killing blow was landed by none other than the Undisputed King of Grappling. He punched through nearly every named unit in the game.

I’m kind of thinking about doing a maddening run. I think Crimson Flower was my favorite route. I doubt I’ll do Classic mode though. Any tips?

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Goddamn I tore through Nemesis’ army on the VW finale. And of course the killing blow was landed by none other than the Undisputed King of Grappling. He punched through nearly every named unit in the game.

I’m kind of thinking about doing a maddening run. I think Crimson Flower was my favorite route. I doubt I’ll do Classic mode though. Any tips?

Nab Claude's iron bow in the prologue. The mock battle is one of the hardest maps in Maddening, and passing that thing around with your entire squad during that battle like a lit spliff will help a lot.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Give everybody bows and teach them Curved Shot.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Yeah mock battle whooped my rear end. I’ll have to maybe go back and grab Claudes bow and try again.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Wait, there are people who didnt loot the poo poo out of the lords in the first level?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

FoolyCharged posted:

Wait, there are people who didnt loot the poo poo out of the lords in the first level?

Tbh I kinda just assumed there’d be a contingency for that, like their items would automatically disappear into the ether. But yeah, lol definitely gonna snag that bow for my next maddening attempt, probably the spear too since that weapon art eats through a lot of durability.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Tempest Lance is definitely one of your best friends in early game maddening. +8 might is ridiculous.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
You probably already know this, but just to check: You're aware that people can "die" in the mock battle and you don't lose them permanently, right?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

nrook posted:

You probably already know this, but just to check: You're aware that people can "die" in the mock battle and you don't lose them permanently, right?
Yes, but it's about sending a message/fake touchdown dances. :colbert:

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

I started a BL maddening run yesterday and it gave me a chance to test the one Chapter 1 strategy I couldn't cover in my earlier post. Turns out it works and is the easiest to execute by far. The trick is that while killing the northwest professor will activate the three students in the northeast as a group, luring them one-by-one won't.

So the strategy works out to

1. Survive the initial 3-student onslaught, usually by killing the two most dangerous and eating a hit from the third

2. Activate the lord/retainer behind the barricade using curved shot and 5v2 them when they run around

3. Head to the northeast and position a decoy unit at the edge of Hubert/Dedue's range to activate them, then kill them when they advance

4. Repeat one-by-one for Edelgard/Dimitri, Ferdinand/Mercedes, and Manuela/Hanneman, then kill the final professor in the northwest

It's not going to win any Low Turn-Count runs, but it results in fighting enemies in packs of 3-2-1-1-1-1-1. From there you just need to keep an eye on enemy attack speeds to avoid getting doubled (Byleth is often the best decoy because they have the speed/weapons to avoid getting doubled and decent defense on top of it), use magic/bows to chip enemies down (fighting the enemies in small groups means the 5 spell uses can be saved for the difficult fights, most likely the initial onslaught and the lords/retainers), and overcome the hoarder mentality (combat arts are at this point are attacks but better in every way (and this is where the gains are the biggest and the weapons wielded are the cheapest) and vulneraries will be mostly useless by the time you run out)

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

FoolyCharged posted:

Ike's secret stash of Iron swords is the canon way to play PoR.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Is there a list of what everyone means by FE10, FE11, etc.?

Every chronological list I've seen just has the names and includes some games I'm not sure are considered an official entry.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Flavius Aetass posted:

Is there a list of what everyone means by FE10, FE11, etc.?

Every chronological list I've seen just has the names and includes some games I'm not sure are considered an official entry.
all games are official entries. except the satellaview game because it is a satellaview game. warriors and #fe also dont count but i dont think anyone thinks they would.

counting the remakes is a bit nonstandard compared to some series but every fe remake is fairly substantial, plus fe3 is half a remake of fe1 lol.

fe1: shadow dragon and the blade of light
fe2: gaiden
fe3: mystery of the emblem
fe4: genealogy of the holy war
fe5: thracia 776
fe6: binding blade
fe7: blazing blade
fe8: sacred stones
fe9: path of radiance
fe10: radiant dawn
fe11: shadow dragon
fe12: new mystery of the emblem
fe13: awakening
fe14: fates
fe15: echoes
fe16: three houses

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Endorph posted:

all games are official entries. except the satellaview game because it is a satellaview game. warriors and #fe also dont count but i dont think anyone thinks they would.

counting the remakes is a bit nonstandard compared to some series but every fe remake is fairly substantial, plus fe3 is half a remake of fe1 lol.

FE7 is also known as just “Fire Emblem” because it was the first FE published in the west and they didn’t add a subtitle. But the subtitle in Japan is “Blazing Blade”, as listed.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Thanks a lot. I'm nearly done with Three Houses (I think), having chosen to join the emperor.

Having played FE4 and FE7 previously, I liked the move to 3D a lot but I'm not sure the whole school thing was the greatest idea, though I didn't mind it.

Which Three Houses faction should I choose for a replay?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Flavius Aetass posted:

Thanks a lot. I'm nearly done with Three Houses (I think), having chosen to join the emperor.

Having played FE4 and FE7 previously, I liked the move to 3D a lot but I'm not sure the whole school thing was the greatest idea, though I didn't mind it.

You chose wisely.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Endorph posted:

11 is a remake of 1
12 is a remake of half of 3
15 is a remake of 2

Every game since 7 has been officially localized except 12. 1 was officially localized for a limited time which ended 5 days ago.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

occasionally you see people call it 'Fire Emblem US' or some such, but yeah even your average western fan calls it FE7 these days.

the nomenclature started back in the early US fandom, when FE7/8/9 were coming out. there was no real official agreed upon translation of fe6's subtitle (it could be 'sword of seals,' 'binding blade,' 'sealing sword,' etc, just going by the jp, and smash brothers just called it 'fire emblem' (which is what also led to the misconception that marth and roy were from the same game) so there needed to be a consistent way of referring to the games before FE7, and also something to refer to FE7 with that distinguished it from the franchise as a whole, since again, its jp subtitle could be 'blazing sword,' 'blazing blade,' 'flaming sword,' etc. so the numbers system made sense.

we have consistent subtitles for every previous FE now thanks to stuff like heroes, but it's still convenient to say 'fe4' and not 'fegothw,' and if you just say 'genealogy' newer fans might still be confused if they don't have every FE's subtitle memorized.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Flavius Aetass posted:

Golden Deer is my favorite, but if I were to only play the game twice I would choose the Lions.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Flavius Aetass posted:

imo, I'd recommend Blue Lions since they definitely feel like the route that mirrors the Black Eagles route the most. Deer and picking black eagles but going against Edelgard at that split are pretty similar to each other and also feel the most superfluous, though there's some decent setting detail.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Endorph posted:

imo, I'd recommend Blue Lions since they definitely feel like the route that mirrors the Black Eagles route the most. Deer and picking black eagles but going against Edelgard at that split are pretty similar to each other and also feel the most superfluous, though there's some decent setting detail.

The later two also explain some unresolved mysteries that Blue Lions and the route you're on don't explain as part of their plot.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Black Eagles and Blue Lions are the more traditional routes. Golden Deer is like the lore route.

I have no loving clue about the 4th route or the DLC and I am in no hurry to find out because I am not replaying the game a 5th (and potentially 6th) time. Sorry. It's an OK FE game with a good-ish story and great lore/setting but you have to be really good at handling gaming burnout because by the time I was near the respective I was just done with the game. I generally liked-to-loved most of the cast (not as much as most of the Echoes cast or some of the GBA trilogy/Tellius duology casts but they're all good kids) but, like, if I don't have to see the lot of these squirts ever again, I'd be ok with that. Fódlan/Dagda/Almyra might be cool to revisit, though!

Also, if possible, play it with the NA dub.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Yeah the NA voice acting is incredibly strong and while the mistranslations are still annoying I way prefer NA Edelgard to JP. (On the same line switching to Tara Platt from Christina Vee was really inspired.)

Also means we can do this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QDqLPLWUxY

Eimi fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Apr 5, 2021

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

I did Eagles and then Deer and am currently finishing up Lions. Eagles is the Morally Correct Unambiguously Good Edelgard Did Nothing Wrong route (unless you end up in Silver Snow, I guess, lol) so assuming you're on board with that you should pick your other routes based on what they offer. Golden Deer offers a pretty charismatic cast and some deep loving lore about how the situation got as hosed as it is. On the other hand it feels a little... insubstantial? It's longer than Eagles (all the other routes are) and I liked hanging with the cast and learning about the world but it's less personally compelling. Like, Claude is mostly like "I really want to know what the gently caress is going on in this continent" but it's played more like... a personality trait? or a hobby of his than a compelling central motivation. To be honest I hear you get more lore, and understand how it fits into character motivation, better on Silver Snow (the Church route where you start as the Eagles and don't throw in with Edelgard.) It's just hard to recommend that right after El's route since you'll have the same kids and and the school phase will be compleltly identical.

Lions so far is a LOT more about the personality and backstory of the characters leading the action, like Eagles. But uh, it goes pretty extreme with them and kind of ignores literally all of the larger context. Like if Claude is motivated purely by lore, and Edelgard a combination of lore and character backstory, Dimitri is ALL character backstory and doesn't give the slightest gently caress about why anyone is doing anything. I mean he was the guy who was all like "what the gently caress? fighting for your ideals?!?!"

So yeah, this was a lot of words wasted on what other people said: Lions is a good, character driven mirror to Eagles (that has you throw in with a reactionary madman) and Deer is a fun dive into the history and motivation that explains things the empire and church are after.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

i think BL is probably the "best" first playthrough because the double reveal of flame emperor and crazy dimitri hits a lot harder than "oh we're in part 2 and by the way dimitri is insane now??" in the other routes

and there's a great build-up to it throughout white clouds too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Though you may also be like me and not enjoy Blue Lions' story for a variety of reasons. Who knows!

That's the really fun* part about 3H: You don't know whether you like the route you're on until halfway through the game!

*seriously i started a GD run a few weeks ago and even having not played the game for a year i'm groaning through the entirety of White Clouds