Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i dont like it when people get all self serious about the virus all like "Ah yes, the Novel Coronavirus, COVID-19, these are certainly strange times" like shut the gently caress up please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Pedantic people really bug me

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
People who, when you tell them to not do something, do it but you know, as a joke!

Oh, I asked you to not speak over me sharing a room code with someone? Saying random letters loudly and slowly as I am is a real gut buster, o king of wit

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Most acronyms don’t do that though. Like if you’re writing the acronym out in an explanatory way you’ll do “COVID (COronaVIrus Disease)”. I can’t think of any acronyms that do what you’re describing, really. Like RADAR is “RAdio Detection And Ranging”, your way would be RaDAR.

Actually it should be RaDaR because you don't capitalise "and".

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
OB-GYN.

People spell it out when they say it. "Oh Bee Gee Wye Enn".

What does the 'B' stand for, you buffoons? Or the Y, you absolute morons?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Unkempt posted:

OB-GYN.

OBstetrics and GYNecology? That one’s an initialism, not an acronym.

Like TNT is an initialism without being three words, it stands for trinitrotoluene.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Because saying "obb-gyne" sounds stupid

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

OBstetrics and GYNecology? That one’s an initialism, not an acronym.

Like TNT is an initialism without being three words, it stands for trinitrotoluene.

'B' stands for obstetrics?

You're one of them, aren't you?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Unkempt posted:

'B' stands for obstetrics?

You're one of them, aren't you?
It’s from obstetrics.
The letters in acronyms in acronyms and initialism don’t all have to come from different words, and they often don’t.

Do you get annoyed when people say ID?

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

It’s from obstetrics.
The letters in acronyms in acronyms and initialism don’t all have to come from different words, and they often don’t.

Well now I'm going to.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Unkempt posted:

OB-GYN.

Yes. Same. 100%.

These ones are, at least, much more convenient though. "Oh-Bee-Jee-Why-En" is such an awkward arrangement of syllables. It sounds bad and it's not easy to say. Just say "obstetrician" or "gynaecologist"; either one would be better.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Fingerless Gloves posted:

People who, when you tell them to not do something, do it but you know, as a joke!

Oh, I asked you to not speak over me sharing a room code with someone? Saying random letters loudly and slowly as I am is a real gut buster, o king of wit
A dude at work found out I'm dyslexic and have a really hard time processing spoken numbers so he started randomly hollering out numbers when he knows I'm counting inventory. It takes me 3X the amount of time it should to do it because of his bullshit.

He's my boss. He's the idiot paying me extra to take longer because he's hilarious.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

fizzymercury posted:

A dude at work found out I'm dyslexic and have a really hard time processing spoken numbers so he started randomly hollering out numbers when he knows I'm counting inventory. It takes me 3X the amount of time it should to do it because of his bullshit.

He's my boss. He's the idiot paying me extra to take longer because he's hilarious.

Jesus. That has to count as harassment. You should report his rear end to HR. See how funny he finds that.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Silver Falcon posted:

Jesus. That has to count as harassment. You should report his rear end to HR. See how funny he finds that.

Agreed. Ask your boss for their phone number.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
"Case of the week"- shows. I don't know why, I just hate them. It's something about just having one thing per episode that doesn't work for me, I like storylines and relationships that continue throughout the show. Comedies are an exception, though they usually have recurring characters and callbacks causing problems or the "case-of-the-week" is just one third of the episode and the real meat is in the characters interacting with eachother.

The worst offender to me is Lucifer, because the comic is real loving good. I've never wanted to beat up a studio executive so bad.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

It’s from obstetrics.

Sir, I'm going to have to take a look at your Id

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

I think we can all agree that acronyms, abbreviations and initialisms (whatever the gently caress they are) are a minefield and I will therefore be writing everything out in full from now on.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Dysgenesis posted:

I think we can all agree that acronyms, abbreviations and initialisms (whatever the gently caress they are) are a minefield and I will therefore be writing everything out in full from now on.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Inspector 34 posted:

Sir, I'm going to have to take a look at your Id

My Id is in my car. Can I show you my ego instead?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Dysgenesis posted:

Initialisms are when you say the letters instead of saying it as a word (eg. TNT, CPU, ID)

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Was "Obviously I am aware of the existence of contractions" a thread title at some point? Feels like it was.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

I hate tearing into a package of something and then noticing a second later that it was actually resealable.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

HOLY gently caress posted:

I hate tearing into a package of something and then noticing a second later that it was actually resealable.

Ooh, I have one for this from earlier today:

Packages that have a tab that says EZ OPEN! and then are an absolute bitch to open

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Brawnfire posted:

Packages that have a tab that says EZ OPEN! and then are an absolute bitch to open

it says 'EZ' because 'easy' would mean they're legally accountable for the ease, it's like when the ice cream says 'frozen dessert'

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Overall, I like the functionality that the Sharepoint back-end brings to things like Teams and OneDrive where multiple people can view/edit a file at the same time.

Yes, it can get a tad confusing if there's TOO many people, but that's on you for sharing the link out to a whole department and not just the important people who'ls be actually working in that file.

But still easier than ten people all working off their own Excel spreadsheet and then trying to merge the changes they all made.

But...there's always ONE PERSON who always turns filters and sorting on for EVERYONE, not just their view.

Is it a lot of work for me to go in and say "cancel all filters" and then, rightly, click the box that just "Just Me"? No.

But I shouldn't have to.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Killingyouguy! posted:

it says 'EZ' because 'easy' would mean they're legally accountable for the ease, it's like when the ice cream says 'frozen dessert'

"Ah, no, you see, it stands for 'Extremely Zealous' open, because you have to be doggedly in pursuit of the contents to stand a chance. HTH, no refunds"

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I had a bog-standard water bottle with a straw and a flip-up mouthpiece that developed (?) a bad seal or something so I would get a lot of air with every sip. Like drinking through a straw with a hole above the liquid line. I had to hold it a certain way and put my finger over the ball-joint of the mouthpiece to get a good seal, and even then it was a crapshoot. gently caress this, I thought, and bought a brand-new water bottle.

It has the same problem. :negative: And no amount of futzing with the mouthpiece is helping. My pet peeve is simple-rear end water bottles that still manage not to work properly.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Shibawanko posted:

i dont like it when people get all self serious about the virus all like "Ah yes, the Novel Coronavirus, COVID-19, these are certainly strange times" like shut the gently caress up please

Me too. It's maddening. Companies and people blame everything on COVID.

"Due to Covid-19, we are experiencing longer than normal wait times."

No, you are experiencing longer than normal wait times because you used COVID as an excuse to fire people and under-staff your call center. You know that, with VOIP, your call center workers can work from home right?

"Due to COVID we've raised our prices on auto batteries because, you know, COVID."

We've had plagues before, we'll have them again. The Plague of Justinian killed 10% of everyone. We had the "Spanish Flu" just 100 years ago. We had the Black Death before. We'll have another one again later. Just put your drat mask on and quit acting like it's never happened.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Alternatively I hate when I tear into a package specifically to take advantage of it being resealable, and the resealable part tears off.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Iron Crowned posted:

Alternatively I hate when I tear into a package specifically to take advantage of it being resealable, and the resealable part tears off.

Yeah, I don't know why or how, but an alarming number of times I open one of those Ziplock-knockoff "resealable" bags (like you'd get on deli meat and cheese,) the "resealable" zipper portion is STRONGER than the glue that holds the zipper to the rest of the plastic bag, so it just rips off, while still sealed, and now you have a non-resealable hole at the top of the bag.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Brawnfire posted:

Ooh, I have one for this from earlier today:

"TEAR HERE" ---->

arrow points at jack poo poo and it won't tear

DrBouvenstein posted:

Yeah, I don't know why or how, but an alarming number of times I open one of those Ziplock-knockoff "resealable" bags (like you'd get on deli meat and cheese,) the "resealable" zipper portion is STRONGER than the glue that holds the zipper to the rest of the plastic bag, so it just rips off, while still sealed, and now you have a non-resealable hole at the top of the bag.

This happens so often that I started using my pocket knife to super carefully open the bags every time and sometimes the zipper still just falls off.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Dip Viscous posted:

"TEAR HERE" ---->

arrow points at jack poo poo and it won't tear

In this vein, when the "tear here" notch is located in the middle of the seal itself, making it worthless.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
i open a lot of boxes at work that are perforated so a particular panel comes off and turns the shipping container into a shelf display and so many times the perforations do nothing and i just rip a huge random tear down the box like an idiot

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
My fridge and freezer are typically occupied with a shitton of "resealable" bags open to the air, because I was too dumb to figure out the proper method and tore them open like a rabid dog

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

It’s also cool when the zipper part refuses to seal correctly or tricks you into thinking you’ve sealed it when it’s actually slightly misaligned and actually open :argh:

gently caress, I hate packaging.

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

I think I've properly opened a bag of charcoal once and I have no idea how I did it. I have a dumb monkey brain and soft delicate baby hands, which means I have to carry around a utility knife like a dweeb in case I run into any kind of packaging.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

It’s also cool when the zipper part refuses to seal correctly or tricks you into thinking you’ve sealed it when it’s actually slightly misaligned and actually open :argh:

gently caress, I hate packaging.

I think you’ll find the coolest thing is tearing open a bag, realising it was resealable and vowing to remember for the next time, then remembering the next time a mere mote of a second after you absolutely savage your way into the bag.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Post Ironic Cereal posted:

I think I've properly opened a bag of charcoal once and I have no idea how I did it. I have a dumb monkey brain and soft delicate baby hands, which means I have to carry around a utility knife like a dweeb in case I run into any kind of packaging.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pro-tip: I used to find clamshell packaging to be the worst kind because you'd have to take scissors to it and end up cutting yourself because you'd decided you were done opening it after only two sided because gently caress the third and fourth sides.

An xacto knife makes short work of those fuckers. You can get all four sides of the shell opened in the time a pair of scissors would get through one. Not only that you don't have those sharp slivers hanging out either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I will never, NEVER understand how bacon packaging ended up like it is

I don't know if that's local or whatever, if some other happy folk in some other sunny town have invented an actual functional loving bacon package but

christ