Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
"even if it's a trap, I can't risk losing 1,000 dollars" is the moment where Peter's spider sense just gave up.

Present-day, his spider sense is just like "You just saw this suspicious psychiatrist pour something into a glass and want to drink it? Knock yourself out! Literally."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

How does every single arc contain the ultimate Newspaper Spider-Man comic?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Libra posted:

How does every single arc contain the ultimate Newspaper Spider-Man comic?

The consistency is amazing.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

She didn't even hide it, she literally poured it into the water right in front of him :xd:

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
It's just scope. Pete doesn't brush often.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

"What, really? Seriously? Wow. OK I guess I'll be right over then."

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Kingpin's plan relied on getting a TV host to make claims about Spidey's sanity, randomly hoping Spidey was watching TV at the time, then hoping he cared enough to try to talk with her, then hoping she would somehow convince him to reveal his secret identity and, when that failed, getting him to take a spiked drink. Which he did. And he has trained for this moment by SEND IN THE SAMURAI.

:master:

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Johnny Walker posted:

Kingpin: I spend ten years trying to destroy him and he just... drank poison.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
"DOOM could have used poison, if DOOM had felt like it. It does not have the sheer artistry of robot pigeons with viewscreens and gluing furniture to the ceiling."

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Johnny Walker posted:

Actually in tears rn holy poo poo

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Johnny Walker posted:

The drug isn't actually affecting him. This is just post-concussion syndrome.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Johnny Walker posted:

I don't even know how to describe how this makes me feel. The only thing dumber than this plan is whoever decided to axe this treasured comic strip.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Saoshyant posted:

when that failed, getting him to take a spiked drink. Which he did.

You are underselling this because it is important to note that it was a spiked drink that she spiked in front of his face. He saw her pour stuff into the drink and still drank it.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

It's like when you're finishing your homework while the teacher is picking it up.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Holy poo poo, he really did just loving drink it and pass out.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Twelve by Pies posted:

You are underselling this because it is important to note that it was a spiked drink that she spiked in front of his face. He saw her pour stuff into the drink and still drank it.

I think the idea is she was trying to pass it off as like, Alka-Seltzer or something. Still super dumb of Pete since he was already suspicious of her, but I think that was the idea.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Spidey's obsession with getting that 1000 is still great.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
she said "drink this and calm down", implying that it was a sedative. i don't think nsm understands what implications are, though.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

MonsterEnvy posted:

Spidey's obsession with getting that 1000 is still great.
A thousand bucks is a lot of money to most, to be fair. I'm part-time, and it's more than I make in a month.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Malachite_Dragon posted:

A thousand bucks is a lot of money to most, to be fair. I'm part-time, and it's more than I make in a month.

Oh I agree. It's still funny.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:
And when you adjust for inflation it's even more. $1000 back then would be over $3000 today.

What year is this from anyway?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

OptimusShr posted:

And when you adjust for inflation it's even more. $1000 back then would be over $3000 today.

What year is this from anyway?

Well, it's Disco, so I'd go with late 70s. HOWEVER, It's Stan Lee who was always lagging about 5 years behind whatever the kids were into so it's possible the strip is from like 82 or 83.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Twelve by Pies posted:

Also he showed up there despite his wife constantly telling him,"It's a trap, you're walking into a trap Peter" and he said,"Yeah probably!"

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Amazing synchronicity, with Spidey cheerfully heading into an obvious trap in two timelines decades apart. He's not only learned nothing, he's got actively worse because in the more recent one he's got his wife telling him not to head into the obvious trap, and there isn't even the promise of a thousand dollars!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
for all he knows she was just about to give him $1k. 'for all he knows' does a whole lot of work explaining why things happen in nsm.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

for all he knows she was just about to give him $1k. 'for all he knows' does a whole lot of work explaining why things happen in nsm.

I like the idea that Peter keeps walking into traps because he thinks he might get $1000.

MJ: Peter, don't walk into the Vulture's laser cage!

Peter: but MJ! What if!

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
I think we've solved it! The head trauma left only the thoughts "trap" and "pay me $1000" and ever since Peter's walked into every obvious trap expecting to get paid for it.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

No see he spit that drink out into the same tiny air pocket he used to survive the gas.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
Looking forward to the $1000 check made out to Spider-Man.

Dimestore Merlin
Jul 14, 2007

Obey your Spider-Lord

farraday posted:

Looking forward to the $1000 check made out to Spider-Man.

I swear that was an actual gag in one of the latter-day strips. Like, he goes into the bank as Peter with a check made out to Spider-Man and does an "Oh no!" right before getting to the teller.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I think it was his avengers money.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Dimestore Merlin posted:

I swear that was an actual gag in one of the latter-day strips. Like, he goes into the bank as Peter with a check made out to Spider-Man and does an "Oh no!" right before getting to the teller.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

I assume he doesn't realize you can make a check out to "cash".

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i don't know, maybe that's how checks worked in the 60's

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
When Byrne Rewrote the origin for Spider-Man: Chapter One, the bank teller told him that he could perform some sort of spider-feat to get the money out of his bank account.

The Chameleon subsequently cleaned out Spider-Man's bank account by showing up in costume with gadgets to replicate the spider-powers.

I remember liking the plo from that series that many of Spider-Man's villains come from biotech-induced attempts by Oscorp to replicate the effects of the Super-Soldier Serum.

I remember disliking the plot point that the Sandman was related to Norman Osborn because there was no other way to explain that peculiar hair.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Make sure you don't unmask him! That would be rude!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The Kingpin's plan is both extremely complicated and extremely stupid. Somehow it works exactly as intended.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

spidey is out cold and kingpin has two assassins in the room with him, with loaded guns. It's gonna be amazing how Kingpin will manage to rip defeat out of the jaws of victory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I'm still cracking up over Lessinger going, "you seem unreasonably angry, drink this sedative," and Peter being like, "you're right, I do need to calm down *glugs*"