Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

they need to just say gently caress being a prequel and go full bonny and clyde

that would be nice. i understand why they went with it to make sure they got Executive funding to make it happen, draw in an existing audience, get AMC to keep it going, etc. but thats my inherent brain problem with prequels is it's like, oh you know this guy dies later like so, or that this guy isnt around later so clearly they died/ran away. you know from BB that kim isn't in the picture

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Xaris posted:

that would be nice. i understand why they went with it to make sure they got Executive funding to make it happen, draw in an existing audience, get AMC to keep it going, etc. but thats my inherent brain problem with prequels is it's like, oh you know this guy dies later like so, or that this guy isnt around later so clearly they died/ran away. you know from BB that kim isn't in the picture

i have similar bpp (brain prequel problems)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
then repeat to yourself "it's just a show, i should really just relax"

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
nah there are other shows to watch why reward lazy prequel conversions

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

mediaphage posted:

nah there are other shows to watch why reward lazy prequel conversions

idk 99% of tv ive seen loving blows

except taskmaster but thats not really the same genre lmao

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

because it's got bob

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

infernal machines posted:

then repeat to yourself "it's just a show, i should really just relax"

thats usually what i do but i still have dumb brain problems that eat at me even when i try not to think. i guess you could say it's not much different than just being an story-inherent version of spoilers which usually dont bother me much.

bcs is just good enough and bob is entertaining and early 00s aesthetic owns enough for me to get over it. but it probably contributed to taking me several attempts over the years to finally make it through to where i am now.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
you absolutely should take the penultimate line of the mst3k theme as genuine life advice, but also, it's an mst3k reference.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

PokeJoe posted:

because it's got bob

yeah bob fuckin rules
i heard theres a movie coming up with him in it, excited for it

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

hbag posted:

idk 99% of tv ive seen loving blows

Uh excuse me have you heard of a little unknown gem called Rick and Morty

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Xaris posted:

you know from BB that kim isn't in the picture

i think she'll be the first person he calls the new identity vacuum cleaner guy for.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

shoeberto posted:

Uh excuse me have you heard of a little unknown gem called Rick and Morty

i used to like that show but then the neckbeards ruined it

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

i'm pickle rick

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/timessqkungfu/status/1325227523853201408

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

"Give the guy a gun and he's superman, give him two and he's God" :cool:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

hbag posted:

I don't really get this train of thought. media can exist outside of fandom, you don't have to tell anyone you watch it, you dont have to interact with other people who watch it. you dont have to go around wearing branded tshirts or put slogan bumper stickers; you don't have to reeeeeee for schezuan sauce; nor interact with people who do. consumption can be solely a private activity and it's fun little 15 minute show that doesn't outstay itself with like each season being 90 minutes long.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i think they ran out of gas during the second season and i can't imagine having seven more is going to improve things any

maybe dan harmon can find an exciting new way to blow up his life so that we get another bout of writing therapy

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
multiply by 6 and you have the simpsons

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

but seriously, a better tomorrow II is wonderful

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

i appended it with an 'm' because uh i'm on gently caress

should have gone with 'l'

stupid stupid stupid

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

hbag posted:

https://twitter.com/kanyewest/status/994679218356146176

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

infernal machines posted:

but seriously, a better tomorrow II is wonderful

that's true

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Xaris posted:

idk, I never understood this POV. like, watching Star Wars, you know Luke is going to win in the end. you know it. it’s guaranteed that Frodo gets the ring to Mount Doom. Vin Diesel is definitely gonna steal the car and get away with it. John Travolta is gonna get his face back.

does knowing that stuff beyond a shadow of a doubt make the books or movies less good? I don’t think so, because it really is about how those predetermined endings come about more than that they come about. I don’t see why it would be any different in the case of Better Call Saul

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

indigi posted:

idk, I never understood this POV. like, watching Star Wars, you know Luke is going to win in the end. you know it. it’s guaranteed that Frodo gets the ring to Mount Doom. Vin Diesel is definitely gonna steal the car and get away with it. John Travolta is gonna get his face back.

does knowing that stuff beyond a shadow of a doubt make the books or movies less good? I don’t think so, because it really is about how those predetermined endings come about more than that they come about. I don’t see why it would be any different in the case of Better Call Saul

its not about the main characters

if better call saul wasnt a prequel to breaking bad, you cant know whether kim/nacho/mike are gonna stick around. you probably figure jimmy is gonna make it somehow, but not everyone else. but since it is, you know mike is in for the whole thing, and kim and nacho is gone soon, whether dead or off with the vacuum guy.

likewise, you dont know boromir is gonna want the ring, or that lando is gonna betray han either

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
The Ambiguous Utopia of Iain M. Banks

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Carthag Tuek posted:

if better call saul wasnt a prequel to breaking bad, you cant know whether kim/nacho/mike are gonna stick around. you probably figure jimmy is gonna make it somehow, but not everyone else. but since it is, you know mike is in for the whole thing, and kim and nacho is gone soon, whether dead or off with the vacuum guy.

likewise, you dont know boromir is gonna want the ring, or that lando is gonna betray han either

yeah that’s exactly my point? how does the stuff happen? you don’t know Nacho or Kim die, you just know they’re not around anymore. lots of ways to get there

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

indigi posted:

yeah that’s exactly my point? how does the stuff happen? you don’t know Nacho or Kim die, you just know they’re not around anymore. lots of ways to get there

sure journey vs destination, but it's still knowledge that you wouldn't have if it wasn't a prequel. it does make a difference.

ps kim is killed by lalo because of a jimmy thing & nacho takes off

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

this was good, thanks

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Carthag Tuek posted:

I assume Nacho's fate is sealed but I'm not so sure about Kim. There wasn't enough about Saul's personal life in BB to really know what happened with his relationships. Like he made dumb jokes about his "personal" life that make it seem like he was just covering to keep people out of his personal business.

Anyways, Mike and Jimmy's characters are interesting enough that it's worth finding out just how they got to where they are in BB.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

hbag posted:

yeah bob fuckin rules
i heard theres a movie coming up with him in it, excited for it
It's 100% not my kind of film (like I've never seen a john wick and probably won't) but I'm gonna see it because am an unrepentant and unashamed simp for Bob Odenkirk

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

seen a couple john's wicks in my day

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Whole article is very good. I'm surprised it doesn't discuss Surface Detail, that seems like the book which addresses the topic most bluntly.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

pointsofdata posted:

Whole article is very good. I'm surprised it doesn't discuss Surface Detail, that seems like the book which addresses the topic most bluntly.
article is from 2009, surface detail was 2010

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

indigi posted:

i mean i agree with what you're getting at is "its the journey that matters" and it totally makes logical sense; however, its dumb inexplicable brain problems like OCD or ADD or something, i can't reason with it why it's always disheartening and nagging in the ol noggin'. but i also didn't like the star wars prequels either, in part that but also just lucas is bad and i usually avoid prequels, and not sure what the other references are towards.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Chris Knight posted:

article is from 2009, surface detail was 2010

and throughout it refers to banks in the present tense :smith:

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

indigi posted:

this line of thinking actually hosed me up in real life last year (thanks pandemic/quarantine). like as i play games or watch movies everything felt so inevitable, because everything is obviously rehearsed and recorded, but that seeped into my brain so every bad thing i could imagine just felt inevitable and drove me to a bad bad place. thankfully i was able to dig out of it and i enjoy life and media a lot more. it all started with that show Devs. not my first foray into the idea of the inevitable but dang if that wasn't a show that stuck in my brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6Zy_mLgSNQ

Lmao curse whoever brought up Rick and Morty a few pages back.