Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

But what kind of D6?

The game these are from was annoying.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

CainFortea posted:

gently caress that. D6 Star Wars system is superior in every way.

Ain't that the truth.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
https://twitter.com/disneyplus/status/1376534824219897862

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Things I want to see: Hayden using his range with this opportunity to go back and reclaim his pride after almost two decades of being mocked for his prior performance as anakin skywalker.

Things I do not want to see: Him doing intentionally lovely line reads or call backs to dialog people made memes out of in the prior films.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

The sand-hater has logged on.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Hayden kind of a snack now

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Right? That's the face of a movie star. If only he could act.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

reignofevil posted:

Things I want to see: Hayden using his range with this opportunity to go back and reclaim his pride after almost two decades of being mocked for his prior performance as anakin skywalker.

That would be rad.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
that's really more of a prequel

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Yea well we don't have a prequel thread anymore.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
All new star wars are now star wars sequels, soon sequel will just mean "being made by disney now"

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

It's a prequel-sequel. A psequel. Open the psequeldome.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's only a prequel if it abjectly refuses to acknowledge Lucas's prequels in the spirit of Disney's movies. Otherwise, it's a mid-quel.

Or maybe spinoffs go by different rules.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
A spin-off is usually gonna be a side-quel.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

If there's three of them shouldn't they be tri-quels?

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
A triumvirate.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

We have transcended beyond the Sequels and the Prequels now. The thread must reflect this new paradigm. It must be renamed simply "Dome".

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Make a Star Wars Gaiden thread

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

DOME WARS: A STAR WARS STORY

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Checkpoint guard looks up and sees a DOME, writes "Dome" in for thread surname.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
i made a star wars teeveedome thread

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

is it too late to propose "obliqueldome"?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Whenever meta-talk about the queldomes comes up, I wanna make a joke about Ulic Quel-Droma that nobody would get, including me because I never actually read Tales of the Jedi, I've just read things that obliquely reference it and he has a funny name.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

josh04 posted:

is it too late to propose "obliqueldome"?

you know, you can post whatever you'd like in the teeveedome

SlothfulCobra posted:

Whenever meta-talk about the queldomes comes up, I wanna make a joke about Ulic Quel-Droma that nobody would get, including me because I never actually read Tales of the Jedi, I've just read things that obliquely reference it and he has a funny name.

you should read them, they're pretty fun

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

josh04 posted:

Checkpoint guard looks up and sees a DOME, writes "Dome" in for thread surname.

"Who are your people?"

"I... I don't have any people. I'm all alone."

"Alone, eh? So--"

"I mean I come from that dome over there, if that's what you're asking."

"Hmm."

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

:vince:

Were you working on it the whole time? Or were you able to just whip this up fast?

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

"Who are your people?"

"I... I don't have any people. I'm all alone."

"Alone, eh? So--"

"I mean I come from that dome over there, if that's what you're asking."

"Hmm."

lmao

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Please go post that in the TV dome.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CainFortea posted:

:vince:

Were you working on it the whole time? Or were you able to just whip this up fast?

I had a PSD ready for Star Wars Let's Play that may or may never actually get made, so I quickly repurposed it so it literally too me longer to write the post than it did to gently caress with the fonts and angles on it.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Alright I'm making the necessary alterations because it's some drat good work and also it's in the OP now. But please, everyone, do not use this as an opportunity to repeat the follies of prequeldome with your new dome-dome.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Weesa fre

reignofevil posted:

Alright I'm making the necessary alterations because it's some drat good work and also it's in the OP now. But please, everyone, do not use this as an opportunity to repeat the follies of prequeldome with your new dome-dome.

Oh

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

What exactly was the issue with the prequel dome? I missed the hubbub

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

McCloud posted:

What exactly was the issue with the prequel dome? I missed the hubbub

The issue was, ultimately, Star Wars

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
So I'll put it like this. On the topic of imaginary clone armies I think posters should feel free to make arguments that are half assed (or possibly even just intentionally ignorant or contrarian purely for the purposes of riling people up) because ultimately fictional clone armies don't really exist and as best I can tell other than people getting all pissed off online there is no possible way for that to do harm here in the real world.

The topic of racial caricatures on the other hand has real world consequences. Something that greatly displeased me was that I found the same argumentative techniques being employed to discuss racial caricatures as were being employed to discuss fictional clone armies and it honestly made me realize that if someone can't figure out where the line is there it means that both of those topics matter about equally to a person. I found that notion very distasteful. There is a line where I expect people to be doing considerably better than the baseline standard, certain topics that cross this line include but are not limited to, racism, rape, sexual material in general and genocide.

I would really really appreciate that if the thread wants to discuss these topics (which are not strictly forbidden because I genuinely want this to be a place where people can discuss mature topics in a respectful way that hopefully allows everyone involved to become a more informed and well rounded person) that I feel like everyone involved is trying hard to have an intelligent discussion and if even for a second I think that standard isn't being met and that the conversation is only actually succeeding in making the people who are attempting to engage in good faith all pissed off, I'll just make a decision on the spot how to make it stop and for how long. As always these decisions can and should be discussed by the community at large within the sci-fi wi-fi feedback thread and the moderation team will likewise have a place where we can and do discuss the more important decisions we make in here so ideally anything that happens won't just come down to my say so on the matter.

Now as was asked in the chat thread shortly after the closure, When was this ever the standard?

The answer is since about partway through the prequeldome thread. The opening post of prequel-dome was even amended by Roth when the decision was made.

zoux posted:

Prequeldome Guidelines:

1. Don't respond to effortposts with shitposts
2. Don't bring up drama from other threads/forums into here. Exception being that you have concrete proof that somebody is a nazi.
3. Keep insults down to the level of "lol you have bad taste"

The bolded 'guideline' is basically exactly what I wrote above but with fewer words and when I made the decision to close the thread it was because I saw effort being made on an important topic but it was not being met with any effort in return. While we kept a very loose hand on the thread up until that point I want everyone to understand this was primarily because after the institution of that rule most of the topics of discussion were, in my view, harmless fun and ultimately I judged it more important to let people enjoy their feud about the pretend starwars universe than it was to slap people down every time I felt like the subjective standard of effort being met with effort was not being met. As part of my policy of honesty with you all I will also make note here that I found those petty slapfights to be very enjoyable to engage in for my own part and I was loathe to get all up in someone's poo poo if I was directly engaging with them. Should the thread wish to continue along the path of being shitpost kings regarding harmless topics including, but not limited to, whether Gungans have genitalia, how exactly did han and company survive in the belly of that slug and why would there even be mist in there to begin with or even how cool palpatine was when he was tossing around all those platforms in the senate, then nothing about how things are going to operate has changed severely in my estimation.

If it is decided that what you're talking about is or even could have connotations in the real world and those connotations do not make me or anyone else on the mod team happy to think about then you better be putting in so much effort that we're more impressed by how well you've backed your argument than we are left uncomfortable by what you're trying to argue. This is as previously mentioned a subjective standard which will not ever truly have a rigorous definition and so my recommendation for any time you are in doubt would be to try as hard as you can to offer up as much effort as you can with your posts on every single topic of discussion you engage in, where your best judgement fails is where probations (and eventually, worse) will begin.

This is all pretty harsh so I want to conclude it by saying I genuinely think we've got the best posters and that you are at your best when you're all being super chill dudes/dudettes and when all of the slapfighting is just tongue firmly in cheek because deep down we all care more about having somebody to shoot the poo poo about sci-fi with than we care about any dumb divides about which movies you like. Feeling like these threads can seamlessly transition from chasing each-other around in the mud like school-children to serious-talk adult discussion time without even missing a beat is one of the things I've considered myself most proud of since this forum was opened and I genuinely feel like for a long long time the prequeldome managed to thread the needle basically exactly correctly. For every poster who contributed to any part of that know that I greatly appreciate it and that the thing that I've been thinking about almost every day since closing prequeldome has been how we could keep that while still not allowing this place to become the thin edge of a wedge for racist appeals to ignorance which is exactly where we were on the final two pages of prequeldome. Bigotry of any type is something I never want to see in this thread or anywhere else on the forums.

For everyone who read all that, hopefully it wasn't a gigantic downer. The three rules quoted from prequeldome should very much be considered to apply here. I hope it doesn't throw cold water on what should be a fun thread with a fun image macro as our mascot. I'd end this post with may the force be with you but that'd be corny as all hell.

Edit- Cleaned up a sentence so it reads a bit better.

reignofevil fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Mar 30, 2021

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
how do we feel about SMG’s Mace Windu Challenge or whatever it was called

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

indigi posted:

how do we feel about SMG’s Mace Windu Challenge or whatever it was called

"Don't?"

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Let's leave Cine_D shenanigans in Cine_D

I enjoy this subforum because it is a chill posting place. There also seems to be a general agreement that what you like is subjective, so people are going to disagree on what is good and what isn't. For the most part, I feel like those disagreements generate funny shitposts (like thinking up video game and rpg rules to fix the sequels, and posting Gungan cheesecake images).

Oh, which reminds me... I come bringing a gift from the GBS Suez Canal photoshop thread:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Bogus Adventure posted:

Let's leave Cine_D shenanigans in Cine_D

I enjoy this subforum because it is a chill posting place. There also seems to be a general agreement that what you like is subjective, so people are going to disagree on what is good and what isn't. For the most part, I feel like those disagreements generate funny shitposts (like thinking up video game and rpg rules to fix the sequels, and posting Gungan cheesecake images).

I've long since come to the conclusion that bitching about the Sequels/Prequels/EU/Other Disney films is beyond tedious and is usually one of the markers that you're an absolute humorless bore of a person who probably smells like cheese of one sort or another. So I always try to at least make people laugh as I scream endlessly into the digital void about how I walked away from The Rise of Skywalker more miserable than I'd ever been at any point since the day my father died because it sucked that bad.

So I'm happy to oblige in that regard.

Also that Jar-Jar image is bad. Why did you curse us with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

I've long since come to the conclusion that bitching about the Sequels/Prequels/EU/Other Disney films is beyond tedious and is usually one of the markers that you're an absolute humorless bore of a person who probably smells like cheese of one sort or another. So I always try to at least make people laugh as I scream endlessly into the digital void about how I walked away from The Rise of Skywalker more miserable than I'd ever been at any point since the day my father died because it sucked that bad.

So I'm happy to oblige in that regard.

Also that Jar-Jar image is bad. Why did you curse us with it.

It's good...

From a certain point of view...

:smugdog: