Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
What’s a good multiplayer arcade game that two players can play on two devices at different times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

MarcusSA posted:

I always have my phone with me though so I can find the password I need. :shrug:

If you're using long, random passwords (like you should be) then that's a massive pain in the butt compared to having a proper password manager on the device itself.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

What’s a good multiplayer arcade game that two players can play on two devices at different times

Does Stardew Valley co-op work on IOS yet? Oops, it’s not an Apple Arcade game, sorry.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

dissss posted:

If you're using long, random passwords (like you should be) then that's a massive pain in the butt compared to having a proper password manager on the device itself.

You usually only have to do that once per device though.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I also use chrome to cross save any weird passwords. But 99% of my passwords are generated by keychain and saved there.

I do pay for 1Password but I honestly have stopped using it.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I’ve been using 1Password for basically all mobile platforms and I’ve really enjoyed it. I’ve heard good things about bitwarden though too

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

I also use chrome to cross save any weird passwords. But 99% of my passwords are generated by keychain and saved there.

I do pay for 1Password but I honestly have stopped using it.

Yeah but then you’re essentially duplicating where you’re saving your passwords (and limited to chrome). My major issue is using a work PC where keychain is too inconvenient - also I never really figured out how to easily see passwords in keychain on my iPhone.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I use Fastmail for my email and I have it set up to poll my gmail account every 5 minutes. I also have Fastmail to set up to respond as my gmail account.

I want this same system on iOS mail but can’t get it right. Fastmail only polls non-imap accounts every 5 minutes, so some messages have gotten late.

If I just have gmail forward to Fastmail, could I still configure it to send mail as my gmail on both the website and iOS?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Sri.Theo posted:

Which is fine unless you ever want to use a non-Apple device.

Hell froze over about two months ago and they released a Chrome extension for iCloud Keychain:

https://support.apple.com/guide/icloud/use-icloud-passwords-on-your-windows-computer-mmfeee20145e/icloud

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

kitten smoothie posted:

Hell froze over about two months ago and they released a Chrome extension for iCloud Keychain:

https://support.apple.com/guide/icloud/use-icloud-passwords-on-your-windows-computer-mmfeee20145e/icloud

Well poo poo this solves any issues I had.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

kitten smoothie posted:

Thanks for posting, will definitely check this out to see if it can replace LastPass / 1P for me.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
https://i.imgur.com/dVuMGIa.jpg

I have an iPhone 11 Pro with a tiny gouge in the front glass, probably enough that Gazelle etc wouldn't take it. It's otherwise great with brand new accessories and the box, unlocked, 512 GB.

It unfortunately doesn't have AppleCare+ so they quoted me like $350 to replace the screen.

Am I better off trying to sell it as-is or paying to fix the screen and selling it in perfect condition?

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

kitten smoothie posted:

I’m genuinely surprised. I would never have thought Apple would do that- very welcome though.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Sri.Theo posted:

I’m genuinely surprised. I would never have thought Apple would do that- very welcome though.

I think this is more to do with Apple opening up Safari up more so that chrome extensions work with it. 1Password also has a fully featured Linux CLI version which is kinda neat.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Just for clarification, if I install the current public beta for 14.5, if I want to install the official release when it drops, all I have to do is remove the public beta profile, restart the phone, and check for updates?

Apple's own directions state: When the next public version of iOS is available, install it to move back to a non-beta version of iOS. If an update is already available, you can install it by going to Settings > General > Software Update, but the iOS version must be later than the version you have.

Are they referencing "14.5" or the build number?

Usually. Sometimes things get a bit weird but normally it just installs the next time without an issue.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Boris Galerkin posted:

I think this is more to do with Apple opening up Safari up more so that chrome extensions work with it. 1Password also has a fully featured Linux CLI version which is kinda neat.

This has nothing to do with Safari. It's an extension for Chrome. It's also Windows only so it's still somewhat limited. It's not unprecedented. Apple has an extension for Chrome that syncs your iCloud bookmarks.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I've been chugging along on an iphone 6S for years now, and the battery is getting to the point of becoming too unstable. So, I figure I'd upgrade. So, basic question: which iphone variant is best for someone who just needs basic functionality (talk/text/browsing/music playback/etc.)? I don't even use it for pictures that often, so I don't care much about the camera specs. Battery life and inevitable 5G access are probably the two biggest factors.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

AlternateNu posted:

I've been chugging along on an iphone 6S for years now, and the battery is getting to the point of becoming too unstable. So, I figure I'd upgrade. So, basic question: which iphone variant is best for someone who just needs basic functionality (talk/text/browsing/music playback/etc.)? I don't even use it for pictures that often, so I don't care much about the camera specs. Battery life and inevitable 5G access are probably the two biggest factors.

If you want 5G future proofing then you need at least a 12 or 12 mini.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

AlternateNu posted:

You're in a pretty pickle then. Only the newest iPhones (12 line) support 5G, and the best battery is in the current 12 line too.

But at the same time, I don't remember the last time my battery has been anywhere near 50% since every single place I go now has a wireless charging pad. At that rate, you could get an old iPhone X through 12, 2nd gen SE, or even an iPhone 8. If I were picking between those, knowing my goal is not to want to replace the phone in a few years, and not caring about camera that much, I'd get the XS or 11. Max/Pro if you want a better battery (and bigger phone because of it or vice versa)

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Like everyone says, if you want 5G you need the 12. The battery of which ever 12 is inconsequential because it can be replaced for cheaper than a phone.

The matter of future proofing for 5G on the other hand is a pretty silly endeavor. 5G is “here” in the sense that there are helicopter Uber’s in some rich places. By the time 5G is widely adopted and is an actual thing the 5G chips used in those phones are going to be leaps and bounds better in every way (size, communication, bandwidth, battery).

So your choices are buy a 12 and just forget about 5G because most likely you won’t even get it. Unless you sit in a corner office. With no window. With a 5G tower right inside your no-window.

Or you buy a SE (or 12 mini being the upgrade option) and worry about proper real 5G when it’s actually here.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I think the most practical use of 5G in the near term will be at large public events where the air can be saturated in the signal, and you could really reap the benefits of not having congested traffic (flashing back to multiple festivals, shows or games where text/calling is basically impossible when everyone is rushing to do so at the end).

However covid has put the breaks on events like that.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Just downloaded the 14.4.2 security fix and a few minutes after restarting, my phone crashed and now is just a pure black screen and won’t restart. Thanks Tim Apple!

Tried the whole “volume up, volume down, then hold power button” trick but no dice.

Really not in the mood for a flatten through iTunes and full restore today, but oh well.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Boris Galerkin posted:

Like everyone says, if you want 5G you need the 12. The battery of which ever 12 is inconsequential because it can be replaced for cheaper than a phone.

The matter of future proofing for 5G on the other hand is a pretty silly endeavor. 5G is “here” in the sense that there are helicopter Uber’s in some rich places. By the time 5G is widely adopted and is an actual thing the 5G chips used in those phones are going to be leaps and bounds better in every way (size, communication, bandwidth, battery).

So your choices are buy a 12 and just forget about 5G because most likely you won’t even get it. Unless you sit in a corner office. With no window. With a 5G tower right inside your no-window.

Or you buy a SE (or 12 mini being the upgrade option) and worry about proper real 5G when it’s actually here.

So, based off what said poster is saying, I do agree “hey, an SE is cheap, just buy that.”

I guess it just depends on price. SE is $400, iPhone 12 is $800. Do you want to pay double for a phone for the immediate benefits of a bigger screen, better camera , and slightly more future proof with 5G ?

And yeah, for the next 1-2 years you won’t see “fast” 5G unless you live downtown somewhere. You’ll see “nationwide” but that is at best only slightly fast than regular 4G. Worth mentioning , the 12s are supposed to have the mid band 5G radios , so in 1-3 years when that is rolled out, the phone should work on what is supposed to be usable coverage and fast speeds.

All that said, honestly I would only get the 12 if you want the bigger screen. I think it’s a bigger factor for something you look at a every day than a lot of people think.

The Dave posted:

However covid has put the breaks on events like that.

Lol not for long !

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Randomly my MagSafe charger fails to charge my phone. It’s a knockoff from Amazon-not an official apple one.

The only fix is restarting the phone.

Anyone else have this issue?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

nwin posted:

Randomly my MagSafe charger fails to charge my phone. It’s a knockoff from Amazon-not an official apple one.

The only fix is restarting the phone.

Anyone else have this issue?

I think that’s just a known issue with the 12s. My Pro will occasionally not wirelessly charge and I have to boot it to fix it.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Boris Galerkin posted:

I mean that depends where you are. In Australia for example the largest telco has 50% of the population covered, is expecting that to be 75% by June, and has typical peak hour download speeds of several hundred megabits.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Duckman2008 posted:

I guess it just depends on price. SE is $400, iPhone 12 is $800. Do you want to pay double for a phone for the immediate benefits of a bigger screen, better camera , and slightly more future proof with 5G ?
Honestly I’d suggest going with a 12 Mini off of Swappa if someone was debating an SE.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Duckman2008 posted:

I think that’s just a known issue with the 12s. My Pro will occasionally not wirelessly charge and I have to boot it to fix it.

Ah ok/I’ve got the 12 mini and it’s happened 3 or 4 times.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

tuyop posted:

Still don’t understand how the 1P 2fa integration makes any sense. It reduces the “something you know” + “something you have”, which are the two factors, to just your 1pass credentials. Why is this desirable???

If you keep your codes in an app on the same phone as your password manager it's not really a 2nd factor. You're just launching a 2nd app on the same phone

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

FWIW, I haven't noticed this issue at all on the 14.5 public beta now that I think about it. It happened at least a couple times a week before I went PB.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Okay, this might be a dumb question, but... this has been bugging me since I got the 12 Pro three months ago. I swear my iPhone 8 before it had smoother looking visuals. Often on the 12 Pro I can "see" the frames. For instance, when you unlock the phone and the lock screen slides away, that animation seemed much smoother on the 8. Is this possibly due to LCD screens having a natural blur to them that isn't present in OLED?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Okay, this might be a dumb question, but... this has been bugging me since I got the 12 Pro three months ago. I swear my iPhone 8 before it had smoother looking visuals. Often on the 12 Pro I can "see" the frames. For instance, when you unlock the phone and the lock screen slides away, that animation seemed much smoother on the 8. Is this possibly due to LCD screens having a natural blur to them that isn't present in OLED?

OLED TVs have this problem when showing 30fps stuff

my iphone 12 is smooth and i never notice it but there is one other poster in here that seems to

maybe its a 12 pro problem for some reason?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Laserface posted:

OLED TVs have this problem when showing 30fps stuff

my iphone 12 is smooth and i never notice it but there is one other poster in here that seems to

maybe its a 12 pro problem for some reason?

That's me, lol. Just trying to figure out if I should ask for a replacement device yet or not.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I got a new iPhone a couple weeks ago so I’m seeing offers for a free year of Apple TV+. I already get it with my Apple One plan. Can I redeem the offer for some sort of credit against my Apple One monthly charge?

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Jose Oquendo posted:

I got a new iPhone a couple weeks ago so I’m seeing offers for a free year of Apple TV+. I already get it with my Apple One plan. Can I redeem the offer for some sort of credit against my Apple One monthly charge?

I had the free year of TV+ and got Apple One, and then got a credit for TV+, so maybe it works the other way.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Edit: fixed my issue. Had to hard reset my phone.

The Black Stones fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Apr 5, 2021

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Am I crazy that the awful update to Music app has stopped it from automatically downloading purchased music across devices, so as to push the “Library Sync” feature? I couldn’t find a clear resolution for this, and I’m p annoyed!

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

I thought I was very clever and bought a magnetic phone mount and stuck a Mag Safe charger to it so I could wirelessly charge my iphone in the car. It does work really well as far as the phone staying on the holder driving on terrible New England roads in pothole season, and for much quicker sticking on/removing from the holder, but I'm starting to understand why there isn't an official version of this yet as I'm regularly getting "Your iphone is too hot" warnings if the sun is shining.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Boywhiz88 posted:

Am I crazy that the awful update to Music app has stopped it from automatically downloading purchased music across devices, so as to push the “Library Sync” feature? I couldn’t find a clear resolution for this, and I’m p annoyed!

settings > music

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Weedle posted:

settings > music

I think you may not have 14.4.2, becaue I've got a different layout that revolves around the "Sync Library" button." It then gives me automatic downloads, but it's like... I don't want Apple to touch my dang MP3s w/ this Sync Library feature.