Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Joe Slowboat posted:

This got me to check in on QC for the first time in a long while, and all I can say is... isn't this just a more recent version of the Marten's Mom gag? It has streaming, but it's still precisely the same joke in a different flavor.

Gag-a-day webcomics are a flat circle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

username/roughly adjacent topic combo

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

username/roughly adjacent topic combo

And correctly colored animal av combo

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Vtubers are a newer and marginally different form of weird.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think we're just getting old.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

SlothfulCobra posted:

Yeah but the joke here isn't just 'vtuber' it's 'weird sexy vtuber' in a way that precisely lines up with Marten's mom being extremely casual about weird sex content, and Clinton's reaction here is almost identical to Marten's (with less resignation).

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
The distinction I think is more that this is very new for Clinton's mom, whereas it was always part of Martens relationship with his mom.

It's definitely similar, but QC loves to do variations on the same stuff over and over.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

unsure if anyone already posted about this but Drugs & Wires is pretty fuckin good

go check it out if you like cyberpunk poo poo and/or slightly dark comedy

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Kennel posted:

Let's post that one again.

The only drug you need is social anarchism (or whatever this is called, I have no deep understanding of the correct terms)

Are these hosted on a website somewhere for easy sharing? I don't see a link or an artist. I have a friend who would like them but I don't want to send them 12 jpegs or whatever.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

shirts and skins posted:

Are these hosted on a website somewhere for easy sharing? I don't see a link or an artist. I have a friend who would like them but I don't want to send them 12 jpegs or whatever.

Found it: https://www.noncanon.com/comic/lovely-notions

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Thank you! It's a true classic.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Wittgen posted:

The distinction I think is more that this is very new for Clinton's mom, whereas it was always part of Martens relationship with his mom.

It's definitely similar, but QC loves to do variations on the same stuff over and over.

When's the last time Marten was even in the comic? I get the feeling Jeph doesn't really feel connected to that disaffected, directionless 20-something anymore, and that's all Marten can be at this time.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

VanSandman posted:

When's the last time Marten was even in the comic? I get the feeling Jeph doesn't really feel connected to that disaffected, directionless 20-something anymore, and that's all Marten can be at this time.

I mean he shows up around Claire sometimes. His role is now The Boyfriend.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

VanSandman posted:

Or at any other time, because time doesn't pass in QC.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Glagha posted:

I mean he shows up around Claire sometimes. His role is now The Boyfriend.

I mean Claire’s job search and drive to actually do something with her life is being put as a make or break moment for Marten in the future (which he will gently caress up like every other time he fucks up a relationship) if their last conversation about it is something to go by.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Vattu: I am not 100% sure whether I am the reader am supposed to know the answer to that "who are they question" or it's supposed to be a mystery to us as well.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

reignonyourparade posted:

Vattu: I am not 100% sure whether I am the reader am supposed to know the answer to that "who are they question" or it's supposed to be a mystery to us as well.

Vattu is a comic I check only every so often, which is a bad fit for a story that's so heavily built on political maneuvering, but I think these are the forces of the conspiracy that had Emperor Arrius murdered. Asria currently has a weak hold on the Palace, and I figured they were moving to basically evict her, and slammed right into Bakrah trying to do the same thing.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Ever since Rice Boy, Evan Dahm's comics have been solidly in the "wait and get the book" category for me -- both a testament to the quality, and the type of story that I can't imagine following page-by-page.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

StratGoatCom posted:

I found an interesting Tumblr thread on poo poo that went down that gives some context to the SSSS lady going ape:

https://superdark33.tumblr.com/post/646119984520658944/superdark33-xollos-verdisketch
How are you supposed to read this tumblr website? The replies seem very disconnected, and it keeps linking to a forum where you have to log in?

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it

Jackard posted:

How are you supposed to read this tumblr website? The replies seem very disconnected, and it keeps linking to a forum where you have to log in?

just scroll from top to bottom. some posts are truncated and can be read in full by clicking the Keep Reading links. the post from the forum where you have to log in is under one of those and can be read here

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Ditocoaf posted:

Ever since Rice Boy, Evan Dahm's comics have been solidly in the "wait and get the book" category for me -- both a testament to the quality, and the type of story that I can't imagine following page-by-page.

The glacial update pace doesnt help. This reminded me I havent kchecked the comic in, what, months? And there's two new pages it looks like.

I think it might actually be the slowest updating comic I read

Edit: I finally read Minnas bunny comic and honestly... it really isn't that bad? It obviously could have been better if it wasn't dominated by the zeal of a newly Christian convert and represented some diversity in its wrongthink (I wonder if someone could convince her to mentally link for her the similarity between a tanking social credit score and Kaepernicks career for daring to speak out against the dominant social narrative?) but I expected it to be a good deal worse than it actually was. Like most of her work the major flaw seems to be her inability to think beyond her own personal experience... well, that and the fact that someone clearly preyed on her terrible self image to convert her into their dumb doomsday cult.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Apr 1, 2021

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
the problem isnt the aesthetic or general quality and never was, its the viewpoint it espouses and the victim complex it enables in the audience its soliciting

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

fun hater posted:

the problem isnt the aesthetic or general quality and never was, its the viewpoint it espouses and the victim complex it enables in the audience its soliciting

That is specifically the part that wasn't as bad as I was expecting it to be. I was expecting to at least hint at it being terrible that these poor Christians had to be decent to other people or something, and requiring it was tyranny... but it didn't really go down that road?

Edit: It's also possible it did and I just missed it somehow.

To clarify, I am not a Christian so while I am well aware of the fact that the Christians are typically the ones pushing this sort of social control (it's actually amusing the extent to which it mirrors being excommunicated from christian society for heretical beliefs! And obviously there are ties to the whole "cancel culture" BS. But despite that...) I can also sympathize with the underlying fear of having to hide ones true beliefs and cater to a society that thinks the only proper way to do something is the way the people in power have decided is the proper way, to adopt a superficial persona that supports that requires you to laud the very things which you see as problematic with that society, and which just so happens to conveniently line up with the behaviours that strengthen the power of those who already have the most. Something I'm sure many leftists are familiar with!

So I guess it's that even though the comic is clearly not about people like me, I can still see some of myself in the people in the comics, and the major flaw doesn't seem to be the underlying message so much as her inability to likewise see herself in the situations of people like me, if that makes sense?

I'm not saying it's not bad, either, just not as bad as I thought/worried/imagined it was going to be.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Apr 1, 2021

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

True, it's a bland engagement with the subject matter where the only things that seem to get you unpersoned is reading the Bible or saying bad things about the boogeyman "new world order" the author is afraid of. But that blandness is because it assumes you're already coming at it from the viewpoint that they are already in charge and are just lying in wait to sink their claws into the Godfearing populace. Like yeah, it's pretty milquetoast in how it presents the world and the conflicts involved, but that's because you aren't the target audience and you admit as much. And that's fine, I'm not the target audience either, but there is a context to it that you're missing if you aren't looking for what it's saying.

Like, I doubt she's looking to convert anyone because it's primarily written for people who already think the poor rugged individual is going to be steamrollered by "world governments" bankrolled by "dark money" or whatever. It's the same old song and dance trussed up in a fresh coat of paint, but much like how Chick Tracts don't really ask the audience to engage with the content presented, so too do the cute bunnies pat your head and tell you not to think too hard.

That's my two cents on the matter, anyway :shrug: .

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

GlyphGryph posted:

That is specifically the part that wasn't as bad as I was expecting it to be. I was expecting to at least hint at it being terrible that these poor Christians had to be decent to other people or something, and requiring it was tyranny... but it didn't really go down that road?

To clarify, I am not a Christian so while I am well aware of the fact that the Christians are typically the ones pushing this sort of social control (it's actually amusing the extent to which it mirrors being excommunicated from christian society for heretical beliefs! And obviously there are ties to the whole "cancel culture" BS. But despite that...) I can also sympathize with the underlying fear of having to hide ones true beliefs and cater to a society that thinks the only proper way to do something is the way the people in power have decided is the proper way, to adopt a superficial persona that supports that requires you to laud the very things which you see as problematic with that society, and which just so happens to conveniently line up with the behaviours that strengthen the power of those who already have the most. Something I'm sure many leftists are familiar with!

So I guess it's that even though the comic is clearly not about people like me, I can still see some of myself in the people in the comics, and the major flaw doesn't seem to be the underlying message so much as her inability to likewise see herself in the situations of people like me, if that makes sense?

I'm not saying it's not bad, either, just not as bad as I thought/worried/imagined it was going to be.

i think i understand the perspective you're approaching this from.
e: i kept trying to add to this and now my response looks choppy and rude. i can wrap my head around someone seeing themselves in a comic made by someone who is a known skilled comic artist especially when the plot of the comics revolve around social stigma. my personal view on the comic is that the wider social context of the themes, the messaging and the perspective of the comic coupled with the author's recent comments hint at an ideology being promoted beyond what the surface reading suggests

fun hater fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Apr 1, 2021

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

There's big reek of some nasty subtext - the best reading of world council is world council of churches, which given the context is a big sign of nasty conspiracy crap of a fundie nature, they really hate that org because it's big on ecumenism, besides the backround stink of end of the world shite.

Other possibility is that it's just ZOG conspiracy poo poo. Neither is nice.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

GlyphGryph posted:

did you read the afterword

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

GlyphGryph posted:

My reaction was based mostly upon the afterward she wrote to the comic, which was excerpted 2-3 pages back. That plus learning about her reaction to the BLM protests last summer really left me concerned about her mental well being and thinking she's an rear end in a top hat.

I haven't read the bunnies comic itself. Dogwood Fleet upthread mentioned that the comic was about the mildest possible take on Millenarianism/end times, so it doesn't sound like you're overlooking anything in the text of the comic. It's the text afterwards that's an issue.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Alaois posted:

did you read the afterword

I read the afterward first, which is part of why I expected the actual comic itself to be much worse than I ended up thinking it was, I guess? I'm commenting solely on the actual comic itself.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

There's a lot of dog whistling in there like being dismissive of things like feminism or making things more inclusive which is pretty :rolleyes:

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

hbag posted:

unsure if anyone already posted about this but Drugs & Wires is pretty fuckin good

go check it out if you like cyberpunk poo poo and/or slightly dark comedy

This was great! Thanks!

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013

GlyphGryph posted:

I read the afterward first, which is part of why I expected the actual comic itself to be much worse than I ended up thinking it was, I guess? I'm commenting solely on the actual comic itself.

Yeah, that makes sense that it lost impact that way.

The initial way that readers were exposed to the comic was via an innocent link below the latest SSSS page, announcing that the comic was complete, with no word on what it was about.

The comic had been hyped up for weeks but shown only in dialogue-free previews, so the usual SSSS readers read it that day, figuring out quickly that it would be about the social credit system, and only like about a third of the way, or around halfway, the bible parts start taking prominence, until it ends, well, like it ends, with bunny Jesus and the afterword ramping up things.

It's glaringly obvious in hindsight that the silence about the nature of the comic was on purpose to get detractors talking about it and giving it more publicity around online than the author would have gotten if she'd been upfront about it being a comic about Christianity and finding salvation from the upcoming social changes.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

reignonyourparade posted:

The tower symbol on their armour (which resembles the tower) is the temple guard for the clergy, which executes the rite that selects the next emperor.

As to why they're there, it's up in the air at the moment. Calirus Torrai is planning something, aided by his wife in the sisterhood, but the clergy is also hinted to suspect something is up - the scene where the fluter actually steals the page is not shown - and who knows what Tarria is up to?

ronya fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Apr 4, 2021

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Has anything entertainingly stupid happened in Dumbing of age recently?

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Joyce is making a comic and strongly channeling Dave Willis world building philosophy. It's kind of entertaining.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Octopus Pie just did a post-comic update about COVID and motherhood and millennials growing up and I'M NOT CRYING YOU'RE CRYING

Edit: \/\/ haha beaten get wrecked \/\/

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Apr 8, 2021

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
:siren: NEW OCTOPUS PIE STORY :siren:

http://www.octopuspie.com/2021-03-01/1/

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Time to emotionally loving die on this comic hell yeah

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I wasn't ready for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU