Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

People's Expensive NFTs Keep Vanishing. This Is Why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

quote:

Was it a glitch? A hack? Did Kuennen perhaps misunderstand how, exactly, NFTs work and how they’re stored? You can’t blame him

let me stop you right there...

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

I hope everyone's ready for another round of "see Tether's just fine, why are you complaining," since they just released a new agreed-upon procedures report that doesn't actually say what everyone claims it says. The reporting on this from the usual suspects is already dogshit.
https://twitter.com/TheBlock__/status/1376867078511153154
No, it doesn't actually show that.

Tether is going to try and sell this like it was an audit, and it was very much not an audit. An "agreed-upon procedures" engagement like this is what it sounds like - the accountants (Moore) agree to perform some specific procedures for the client (Tether), and that's it, the end. In this case, those procedures were looking at what Tether claimed were it's assets on Feb. 28th, looking at what Tether claimed were it's liabilities on Feb 28th, and saying "yes the assets number is bigger than the liabilities number."

Here is a partial list of audit procedures that Moore did not do, because they were not actually hired to do an audit:
  • Search for unreported liabilities, rather than take Tether at their word on what they owed to other parties
  • Compare the amount of assets in reserve over time, to verify that Tether didn't do the exact same thing they did in 2017 - borrow a bunch of money on Feb 27th and repay it on March 1 to cover up the reserve.
  • Test the valuation of Tether's assets, and make sure that they're actually worth what they claim.
  • Review Tether's accounting policies, and make sure that they are actually accounting for assets and liabilities correctly.

Related to that last point, one thing in the report really jumped out at me:

quote:

Management’s accounting policy is to value assets and liabilities at historic cost plus any accrued interest and less any expected credit losses, or otherwise the redemption value where applicable. The realisable value of these assets and liabilities could be materially different if any key custodian or counterparty incurs credit losses or substantial illiquidity.
This is highly unusual and extremely significant. Nowhere does Tether say that they follow GAAP (American-style accounting) or IFRS (everywhere-else-style accounting), and Moore is silent on that as well - which would normally be a strange elision on its own, but here that's irrelevant, because the paragraph above describes something completely contrary to GAAP or IFRS. The fact that Tether doesn't follow GAAP or IFRS is... not really surprising, because any stablecoin issuer is going to be afraid of following accounting standards because doing so forces them to reveal that the legal arrangement behind stablecoins is bullshit. What is a bit surprising is that the paragraph above suggests there's a second reason that Tether doesn't follow accounting standards, and it's because they have some kind of "assets" that have dropped in value and they don't want to show that drop.

The paragraph appears in the "emphasis of matter" section in the report, which implies that Moore felt that readers of the report need to know this fact in particular or else they might misinterpret their conclusions. And of course they would, because the policy described above is ridiculous, that's not how this is supposed to work! That paragraph is Moore making it clear that "yes, we compared their reported assets and reported liabilities at Feb 28th, and the balance of assets exceeded the balance of liabilities, but we realized they are not valuing their assets correctly and we need to tell you that so that we can't get sued."

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Blotto_Otter posted:

I hope everyone's ready for another round of "see Tether's just fine, why are you complaining," since they just released a new agreed-upon procedures report that doesn't actually say what everyone claims it says. The reporting on this from the usual suspects is already dogshit.
https://twitter.com/TheBlock__/status/1376867078511153154
No, it doesn't actually show that.

Tether is going to try and sell this like it was an audit, and it was very much not an audit. An "agreed-upon procedures" engagement like this is what it sounds like - the accountants (Moore) agree to perform some specific procedures for the client (Tether), and that's it, the end. In this case, those procedures were looking at what Tether claimed were it's assets on Feb. 28th, looking at what Tether claimed were it's liabilities on Feb 28th, and saying "yes the assets number is bigger than the liabilities number."

Here is a partial list of audit procedures that Moore did not do, because they were not actually hired to do an audit:
  • Search for unreported liabilities, rather than take Tether at their word on what they owed to other parties
  • Compare the amount of assets in reserve over time, to verify that Tether didn't do the exact same thing they did in 2017 - borrow a bunch of money on Feb 27th and repay it on March 1 to cover up the reserve.
  • Test the valuation of Tether's assets, and make sure that they're actually worth what they claim.
  • Review Tether's accounting policies, and make sure that they are actually accounting for assets and liabilities correctly.

This is unusual and extremely significant. Nowhere does Tether say that they follow GAAP (American-style accounting) or IFRS (everywhere-else-style accounting), and Moore is silent on that as well - which would normally be a strange elision on its own, but here that's irrelevant, because the paragraph above describes something completely contrary to GAAP or IFRS. The fact that Tether doesn't follow GAAP or IFRS is... not really surprising, because any stablecoin issuer is going to be afraid of following accounting standards because doing so forces them to reveal that the legal arrangement behind stablecoins is bullshit. What is a bit surprising is that the paragraph above suggests there's a second reason that Tether doesn't follow accounting standards, and it's because they have some kind of "assets" that have dropped in value and they don't want to show that drop.

The paragraph appears in the "emphasis of matter" section in the report, which implies that Moore felt that readers of the report need to know this fact in particular or else they might misinterpret their conclusions. And of course they would, because the policy described above is ridiculous, that's not how this is supposed to work! That paragraph is Moore making it clear that "yes, we compared their reported assets and reported liabilities at Feb 28th, and the balance of assets exceeded the balance of liabilities, but we realized they are not valuing their assets correctly and we need to tell you that so that we can't get sued."

Have you considered printing more tethers will solve all the evil in the world

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I cannot loving wait for this bubble to pop.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i don't know, i for one am definitely feeling very assured by this assurance report

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Shame Boy posted:

i don't know, i for one am definitely feeling very assured by this assurance report

I’m assured now that SB is assured. 🤩

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

EorayMel posted:

Have you considered printing more tethers will solve all the evil in the world

seriously though that is the only answer available to Tether, history is full of examples that all say the same thing: when you get locked into serious, big-boy accounting fraud, the only way forward is up. the only way to keep past fraud from coming out is to paper it over with new fraud, so the perpetrators always wind up in a vicious cycle where they constantly have to go bigger and bigger in order to delay the inevitable collapse. it's never a question of if, it's always a question of when, and here's where I drop my periodic reminder that Madoff Investment Securities was founded in 1960 and ol' Bernard was not arrested until 2008.

anyway, in fairness to the Tether folks, what they're doing is clearly more lucrative than the things I do with my life, such as "watch the light go out of someone's eyes as I patiently try to explain accounting and auditing standards"

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Blotto_Otter posted:

this is comedy tethers

anything else in the non-audit that jumped out at you? I have enough notes on this to turn into a short blog post as is ...

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

ultrafilter posted:

I cannot loving wait for this bubble to pop.

there's enough lazy legacy money going in after bitcoin that the bubble very well might not pop before crypto exchanges are banned by countries fed up by ransomware

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

gotta love the embarrassing-as-gently caress names and descriptions of the art these chucklefucks are "buying":

an elon musk themed "moon ticket"

a piece called "big boy pants"

Blotto_Otter posted:

anyway, in fairness to the Tether folks, what they're doing is clearly more lucrative than the things I do with my life, such as "watch the light go out of someone's eyes as I patiently try to explain accounting and auditing standards"

thank you for your service. I wasn't going to read that, but I found your breakdown interesting

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
tether slides a wrinkled and stained sheet of paper over to the accountant. he looks down, on it are two columns labeled "liabilys" and "asets". In the first column was written "many" and in the second was "more". at the very bottom was a place for him to sign. sighing, he pulled out his pen

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

quote:

Phillipe Christodoulou wanted to check his bitcoin balance last month, so he searched the App Store on his iPhone for “Trezor,” the maker of a small hardware device he uses to store his cryptocurrency. Up popped the company’s padlock logo set against a bright green background. The app was rated close to five stars. He downloaded it and typed in his credentials.

In less than a second, nearly all of his life savings — 17.1 bitcoin worth $600,000 at the time — was gone. The app was a fake, designed to trick people into thinking it was a legitimate app.

But Christodoulou is angrier at Apple than at the thieves themselves: He says Apple marketed the App Store as a safe and trusted place, where each app is reviewed before it is allowed in the store.

Christodoulou, once a loyal Apple customer, said he no longer admires the company. “They betrayed the trust that I had in them,” he said in an interview. “Apple doesn’t deserve to get away with this.”

Trezor, based in the Czech Republic and owned by a company called Satoshi Labs, is a well-known maker of hardware wallets. Trezor doesn’t have a mobile app,
lol

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I thought preventing that was the entire reason they got away with charging 30% and gatekeeping app installations. Makes sense to me from the perspective that the app store is marketed as the safe place to get apps, to the exclusion of all others.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

xtal posted:

I thought preventing that was the entire reason they got away with charging 30% and gatekeeping app installations. Makes sense to me from the perspective that the app store is marketed as the safe place to get apps, to the exclusion of all others.

what could they possibly do to prevent this? they can't know that the credentials will be used maliciously at some point in the future.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Chalks posted:

what could they possibly do to prevent this? they can't know that the credentials will be used maliciously at some point in the future.

pre:
Does it involve crypto? --- YES -----> Deny
               |
               NO
               |
               v
Continue usual flowchart

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

gschmidl posted:

pre:
Does it involve crypto? --- YES -----> Deny
               |
               NO
               |
               v
Continue usual flowchart

:hmmyes:

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

divabot posted:

this is comedy tethers

anything else in the non-audit that jumped out at you? I have enough notes on this to turn into a short blog post as is ...

After rereading it, one other thing that sticks out is their use of "consolidated", which is not unusual in an accounting context, but the way it's used here invites a lot of questions that a financial statement audit would answer but that this report does not. Their use here of "consolidated reserve report" and "consolidated assets/liabilities" implies that, for the purposes of this report, they have taken the individual financial statements of the various legal entities that make up the "the Tether Holding Limited group" of companies, and combined them together into one set of "consolidated" financial statements.

That is not unusual. What is unusual is that we don't really know what entities are in that group, how they relate to each other, and whether or not transactions between them have been properly accounted for (and eliminated/canceled out, when necessary). In an actual set of audited consolidated financial statements, they would have to disclose what companies are included in the consolidated financials as well as what companies are related to Tether that are not included in the consolidated financials. The auditors would also have to test the consolidating entries that go into making a set of consolidated financials, in order to make sure that they have not inappropriately grossed up any balances when smashing the companies' financials together.

None of that testing was done here, and none of those disclosures are made here outside of a vague (and unvalidated) comment that it "includes financial information for and in respect of the Company and its wholly-owned subsidiaries in the British Virgin Islands and Hong Kong." We don't really know what companies are getting included here, and we also don't know if any companies are not getting included here when they should be.

This is hardly the most glaring problem here, it's just item #37 in a growing list of questions that would (theoretically) be answered by a real honest-to-god financial statement audit, which is exactly why they don't want an audit.

edit: I also just read Bennett Tomlin's post on this and I think he's underselling the multiple ways in which their "accounting policies" are weird and alarming:
  • Rejecting GAAP and IFRS and instead adopting a grab-bag of inconsistent accounting policies for each different class of asset, in a way that just happens to be the absolute most favorable policy for your financial position, is weird and an enormous red flag.
  • Tether's lack of explanation for "other assets and liabilities", in combination with a (probably) improper accounting policy for them, is extremely weird and a big red flag about what "assets" they're actually including in their reserves. (My suspicion would be investments in or loans due from other Bitfinex affiliates or other exchanges that are reliant on Tethers.)
  • Moore's decision to emphasize that weirdness is illustrative of the fact that Moore believes we might reach different conclusions about this report if it weren't for the unorthodox accounting policy they adopted. Moore probably acted correctly here from a standpoint of legal liability and professional standards, but from the standpoint of evaluating Tether, this is all extremely weird and an enormous red flag.
  • Moore's explanation of their accounting policy and Tether's explanation of their accounting policy are seemingly in conflict. Moore describes one (inappropriate) accounting policy for "assets and liabilities" without any other qualifiers, whereas Tether describes three different policies for three different classes of assets. Which is it? This discrepancy is rather weird.

Blotto_Otter fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Mar 30, 2021

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

chipotle no:
https://burritosorbitcoin.com/comingsoon

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

chipotle YES

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

something cracked in my brain this morning, and I thirst financial ruin upon these fools

vote republican. invest in cryptocurrency. buy nfts. burn. burn yourselves. burn yourselves, the lot of you!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

remember that time tether literally said they fired their latest auditor because they wanted to be "too thorough", and that firing them was a good thing because this way they can hire an auditor that could get the audit done faster so they can show you the result sooner

because that's hands-down the funniest single thing tether has done imo and i love it

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

lmao

quote:

3. How to Play the Game: During the Promotion Period, visit the website at https://www.burritosorbitcoin.com (the “Website”) and follow the on-screen directions to enter your information. Once you click “Submit”, you will have access to guess the 6-digit numeric password on the key pad on the Website (the “Game”). Each entrant will receive up to ten (10) chances play the Game (each, a “Game Play”). To play the Game, enter a six (6) digit numeric code that includes any combination of numbers from 1-9 and press the “Enter” button to submit one (1) Game Play. Once you submit a Game Play, an on-screen message will appear. If your Game Play is a non-winning Game Play, a message will appear on-screen inviting you to submit another Game Play and identifying the number of remaining Game Plays available to you, until all Game Plays are exhausted. If your Game Play is a winning Game Play, an on-screen message will appear with information about how to claim your prize (the “Instant Win Prize”). If you receive a winning Game Play you will not receive any further Game Plays, regardless of how many Game Plays had been used prior to receiving the winning Game Play. The Promotion Period will end when all Instant Win Prizes have been distributed.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Boxturret posted:

tether slides a wrinkled and stained sheet of paper over to the accountant. he looks down, on it are two columns labeled "liabilys" and "asets". In the first column was written "many" and in the second was "more". at the very bottom was a place for him to sign. sighing, he pulled out his pen

"I'm Roger Ver-

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Shame Boy posted:

remember that time tether literally said they fired their latest auditor because they wanted to be "too thorough", and that firing them was a good thing because this way they can hire an auditor that could get the audit done faster so they can show you the result sooner

because that's hands-down the funniest single thing tether has done imo and i love it

I think about that all the time, but I'm a believer that it was actually the other way around and that Friedman fired them as a client once they realized Tether was either yanking them around or too stupid to realize they really, really didn't want to get audited, and I think that's even funnier

(it was small fries compared to Tether, but I've only been involved in one audit that we just up and quit because the client was flat-out unauditable, after it became clear that the person in charge of the books was too stupid to realize that he really didn't want us asking the kind of questions we were about to start asking)

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Isn't that a situation where you should be asking those questions?

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

ultrafilter posted:

Isn't that a situation where you should be asking those questions?

Not when the person you're about to start questioning is also the person who hired you to ask the questions and who is supposed to sign the checks to pay you after you ask the questions.

Public accounting is a weird profession, and while financial statement audits are a useful and necessary tool and most of them are fairly reliable, one should always keep in mind that there is an inescapable and fundamental tension between maintaining independence and objectivity about the people you're auditing while those same people are writing the checks to pay you for your audit. When the conflict between those two becomes insurmountable, the auditor doesn't have much recourse except to quit.

But since quitting an audit means you don't get paid, that means that auditors do not quit nearly as often as they should, and it's pretty remarkable when they do quit. (Which is why no legit accounting firm would touch Tether for years after Friedman dumped them. Auditors see poo poo like that and they go running in the opposite direction)

(edit: this is also why you can occasionally find me in the Tesla thread speculating about how much Tums the PwC team assigned to Tesla must be chewing through each quarter)

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Blotto_Otter posted:

After rereading it,

I posted my quick writeup (crediting you for spotting that para): https://davidgerard.co.uk/blockchain/2021/03/30/tether-produces-a-new-attestation-it-says-nothing-useful/

there's a comment talking about that para and other ways to interpret it, fwiw

i mean, the report is so obviously useless that trying to extract actual insight into what the arsing gently caress Tether is up to from it is probably futile

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

divabot posted:

i mean, the report is so obviously useless that trying to extract actual insight into what the arsing gently caress Tether is up to from it is probably futile
hey I made a divabot post :smug:

and yep it's the same poo poo they've been pulling for years, put out a bullshit report full of loopholes but with just enough of a veneer of legitimacy that the PR machine can call it a win while the critics have to spend time coming up with a nuanced argument for why it's bullshit.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

"I'm Roger Ver-

Welcome to Jackass! *sells explosives on Ebay*

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.

orange juche posted:

Welcome to Jackass! *sells explosives on Ebay*

*mails them via the usps*

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

So the paypal bitcoin thing is just bitcoin denominated bitcoin tokens right?

also lol. NFTs are the dumbest thing I have seen out of the tech sector in a long time

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Mar 31, 2021

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Beelzebufo posted:

also lol. NFTs are the dumbest thing I have seen out of the tech sector in a long time

the sad things that you have a lot of digital artists who are desperate for some kind of thing which allows them to mint the same kind of numbered prints, or whatever, that physical artists can. quite a few of them are overlooking the bullshit associated with NFTs because they are desperate for anything that might offer that and NFTs say they do so. i had to talk down some artists i know down from that ledge.

sadly they are a massive scam and a lot of people, both on the artist and on the punter side, are going to get hosed.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Munin posted:

the sad things that you have a lot of digital artists who are desperate for some kind of thing which allows them to mint the same kind of numbered prints, or whatever, that physical artists can. quite a few of them are overlooking the bullshit associated with NFTs because they are desperate for anything that might offer that and NFTs say they do so. i had to talk down some artists i know down from that ledge.

sadly they are a massive scam and a lot of people, both on the artist and on the punter side, are going to get hosed.

Even if they just encoded the image/mp3 or whatever directly into the blockchain, wiht like a metadata counter for the number of prints or something, it would still be stupid, but it would be fundamentally less stupid than a loving url pointer. It's amazing the NFTs are like the dumbest possible iteration of an already dumb idea.

E: It's not really clear to me based on that article, but is the artist the one who hosts the file? Or is the exchange hosting it? Because I would love to have a digital art piece that returns a 404 error one day because the artist I bought it from forgot to pay his amazon hosting fees one month and the thing got deleted lol.

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Mar 31, 2021

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
it depends on the issuing "authority". in most of the ones I've bothereed to look at the token contains a uri, the uri is either hosted by the site selling the nft or on ipfs. the content pointed to by the uri is some attestation about the nft, including a uri for the content. the second uri usually seems to be wherever the first one is.

its worth pointing out that you *could* hash/fingerprint the content and then sign the hash along with the address that "owns" the content and that would accomplish most of what people seem to think nfts are already doing and you wouldn't even need any blockchain horseshit to do it. but then you wouldn't be doing most of what nfts actually are doing, which is ripping people off, which seems to be the actual main design goal.

as it is the companies selling the nfts have a massive vested interest in doing it this way, as makes the value of all the nfts they've issued contingent on their domain registration.

catspleen
Sep 12, 2003

I orphaned his children. I widowed his wife.

why the gently caress aren’t they at least uploading the jpgs to archive.org rather than https://www.randoblocknfart.scam

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
that might stop them from being able to sell someone else's thing they found though

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Beelzebufo posted:

So the paypal bitcoin thing is just bitcoin denominated bitcoin tokens right?

here's what it is:

paypal now supports cryptocurrency!!!* *** **** ***** ******

* only buying** and selling**
** only through paypal
*** transferring cryptocurrency into your account is not supported at this time
**** transferring cryptocurrency out of your account is not supported at this time
***** using cryptocurrency for paypal payments is not supported at this time
****** using cryptocurrency as some kind of currency is not supported at this time

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Beelzebufo posted:

Even if they just encoded the image/mp3 or whatever directly into the blockchain, wiht like a metadata counter for the number of prints or something, it would still be stupid, but it would be fundamentally less stupid than a loving url pointer. It's amazing the NFTs are like the dumbest possible iteration of an already dumb idea.

E: It's not really clear to me based on that article, but is the artist the one who hosts the file? Or is the exchange hosting it? Because I would love to have a digital art piece that returns a 404 error one day because the artist I bought it from forgot to pay his amazon hosting fees one month and the thing got deleted lol.

The cost of an Ethereum transaction scales with the amount of data it outputs (which gets permanently stored into the block) as a disincentive to bloat. At current rates, it's about $117 per KB output. So you'd literally have to pay thousands to store an actual JPEG in the blockchain. (e: Specifically, it'd be $2300 to store hello.jpg, and that's an old rear end 360p image. A 4K background image would be $283,000, except that you couldn't actually do that, because blocks are limited to a maximum of 12.5M gas, meaning there's an upper limit of about 19KB per block.)

That's why this whole loving thing is basically a URL forwarder but with the added step of paying a smarmy techbro to perform a coal-burning ritual to bless it.

As for hosting: The standard practice is to make an NFT point to a IPFS URL, which is a sort of Bittorrent-Lite -- as long as someone out there is hosting it, it'll exist at that URL. Of course, there's already situations where the last host has disappeared for a URL, and the NFT is indeed now a 404.

ullerrm fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Mar 31, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

ullerrm posted:

As for hosting: The standard practice is to make an NFT point to a IPFS URL, which is a sort of Bittorrent-Lite -- as long as someone out there is hosting it, it'll exist at that URL. Of course, there's already situations where the last host has disappeared for a URL, and the NFT is indeed now a 404.

I expect that as demand on IPFS skyrockets as these scams go to the moon the limited nodes that exist are going to see the demand on their resources skyrocket causing more and more to drop out. The scammers wouldn't do something like sacrificing some of their margins to keep the system standing because they neither really know or care about how their poo poo actually function as all they care about is making a quick buck.