Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I grabbed a Billows and a controller, should I just get a Weber Smoky Mountain or would I be better off looking for something with an offset fire box or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

I’m really happy with my WSM and billows. Have had no problems doing overnight briskets and stuff. Get the WSM.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ribs on the egg, so excited for the spring.

Boy do I need to replace the gasket though.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Paul MaudDib posted:

I grabbed a Billows and a controller, should I just get a Weber Smoky Mountain or would I be better off looking for something with an offset fire box or what?

I would vote for a WSM. I think for anything offset approaching the same level quality as a WSM, you are talking big bucks. My 22" WSM has been fantastic, and frankly holds temperature amazingly solidly without a blower.

Side question: What charcoal do folks use (I'll swear this has been discussed in the past, but I can't find it via search for the life of me). I'm looking to try something different than my standard Kingsford Blue, maybe something that produces a little less ash. Any suggestions?

Grandito
Sep 6, 2008
I had been using the kingsford blue, but picked up some B&B oak briquettes (bright orange bag) when I ran out last time because that's what the store had in stock. They're bigger and seem to be a little less ash. Other than a little bit of adjustment on how many briquettes to use, they've been just fine.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Probably just luck of the draw but I've been getting terrible bags of lump (usually B&B) lately. Very few large chunks, tons of dust, and the stuff that is burnable ends up popping all over the place and smelling awful. Really weird, I've gone back to the blue bag since I know it won't spray sparks all over the place.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Always used Royal Oak lump. I've tried more premium brands like red devil, B&B, etc. None of them are good enough to justify the price difference

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Royal Oak always burned well for me and never tasted off or anything like that. Plus you get free gravel with it and everyone needs gravel.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Always used Royal Oak lump. I've tried more premium brands like red devil, B&B, etc. None of them are good enough to justify the price difference

Fogo supremacy.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I use whatever is on sale, baby. Usually kingsford briquettes.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
Thanks everyone!

Drewsky
Dec 29, 2010

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Royal Oak always burned well for me and never tasted off or anything like that. Plus you get free gravel with it and everyone needs gravel.

Sorry, I’m new to all this. What does everyone need gravel for?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Put it on the driveway or put it in the bottom of planters to provide better drainage.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Drewsky posted:

The joke is that the bag of royal oak charcoal usually contains some rocks. You guys get gravel? I usually get some porous chunk of concrete or whatever it is. Some brands you get decorative molding!

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Also odd bits of scrap metal, nails and etc...

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Hell, if it doesn't burn you can just dump it out later

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Drewsky posted:

feed em to trump voters

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I've been using Embers briquettes (Home Depot's house brand made by Royal Oak).

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
I’m going to start easy this season with a smoked chuck roast that I’m going to turn into cheater burnt ends. My 14 inch bullet smoker is way too small for a legit brisket, so we’ll see how those come out. Will try it this weekend if the rain stays away.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Gonna separate the point and flat on a brisket today. I have a tiny electric smoker and this is my first time doing this so send thots and pryrs and hugz my way plz. Hopefully the smoker can handle it. How long should it take to smoke a 13lbs brisket without crutching it? The more I think about it the less I want to sous vide it first because it’ll be tough to handle it after without it falling apart before I can get it in the smoker so though I’m not completely decided against it I’m leaning that way heavily

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

life is killing me posted:

Gonna separate the point and flat on a brisket today. I have a tiny electric smoker and this is my first time doing this so send thots and pryrs and hugz my way plz. Hopefully the smoker can handle it. How long should it take to smoke a 13lbs brisket without crutching it? The more I think about it the less I want to sous vide it first because it’ll be tough to handle it after without it falling apart before I can get it in the smoker so though I’m not completely decided against it I’m leaning that way heavily

It aint bad if you prepare. Put your rack on a sheet pan. Put your bag of meat on the rack. Cut it open and gently flip it onto the rack. Minimal movement.

Id think you wouldnt sous vide it to 203 right? Just get it to a temp that lets you get several hours of smoke on it.

Beyond that, its probably a 10 hour+ smoke without wrapping. And thats only because you split it.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

I'd sous vide it ideally to like ~160F and smoke it the rest of the way to temp, less babysitting but potentially harder to do a transfer from water bath to smoker. Plus this brisket is a honker and all I have is a 5gal bucket (it's HDPE and is suitable to use at higher heat) to sous vide in, and while I'm aware that it would take more babysitting, it's not hard to imagine I can prep it the night before and wake up like one hour earlier than usual to throw it in the smoker if I'm gonna be home all day to add wood to the tray, etc

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I'd sous vide it ideally to like ~160F and smoke it the rest of the way to temp, less babysitting but potentially harder to do a transfer from water bath to smoker. Plus this brisket is a honker and all I have is a 5gal bucket (it's HDPE and is suitable to use at higher heat) to sous vide in, and while I'm aware that it would take more babysitting, it's not hard to imagine I can prep it the night before and wake up like one hour earlier than usual to throw it in the smoker if I'm gonna be home all day to add wood to the tray, etc

SV, chill, unbag, smoke, destroy through eating.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/08/sous-vide-barbecue-smoked-bbq-brisket-texas-recipe.html
Just cut the salt in half.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
could I do anything similar with pork belly? I have some stuff in my freezer I didn't label and I'm not sure whether it's a chunk of brisket or pork belly...

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Paul MaudDib posted:

could I do anything similar with pork belly? I have some stuff in my freezer I didn't label and I'm not sure whether it's a chunk of brisket or pork belly...

Post pics of both and we'll tell you.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Paul MaudDib posted:

It should be pretty easy to tell the difference between beef and pork...

Post a pic.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

I want to see the mystery meat.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
Show! Us! Your meat!
Show! Us! Your meat!

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

ZombieCrew posted:

It aint bad if you prepare. Put your rack on a sheet pan. Put your bag of meat on the rack. Cut it open and gently flip it onto the rack. Minimal movement.

Id think you wouldnt sous vide it to 203 right? Just get it to a temp that lets you get several hours of smoke on it.

Beyond that, its probably a 10 hour+ smoke without wrapping. And thats only because you split it.

I separated them today and gently caress is that more involved than it looked. The video I watched had the guy trimming lots of fat off so I did that also, and it looks like I butchered it (heh), but the point and flat are separated. Not ready to use the point yet so I froze it again. Rubbed the flat with salt and meat church rub and it’s in the fridge ready to smoke tomorrow morning. I want to try doing it without the crutch but idk how long it’ll take to power through the stall so I may end up crutching it once the stall becomes apparent.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I separated them today and gently caress is that more involved than it looked. The video I watched had the guy trimming lots of fat off so I did that also, and it looks like I butchered it (heh), but the point and flat are separated. Not ready to use the point yet so I froze it again. Rubbed the flat with salt and meat church rub and it’s in the fridge ready to smoke tomorrow morning. I want to try doing it without the crutch but idk how long it’ll take to power through the stall so I may end up crutching it once the stall becomes apparent.

The split pieces stall much much less. If at all.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Picked up a split pork butt the grocery store had on sale. Meaning shoulder blade was cut in half and it was only around 4lbs.

Coming up on 12 hours on the smoker and I'm still only at 177F. Two massive stalls on this little butt :argh:

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

toplitzin posted:

The split pieces stall much much less. If at all.

Good to know. I don’t know how to do the burnt ends yet so the point is gonna stay in the freezer until I’m ready to do those. Funny thing is it doesn’t even need to be butterflied

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Dango Bango posted:

Picked up a split pork butt the grocery store had on sale. Meaning shoulder blade was cut in half and it was only around 4lbs.

Coming up on 12 hours on the smoker and I'm still only at 177F. Two massive stalls on this little butt :argh:

I feel like I spend 2/3 of every smoke in the stall. I’ve tried to just get zen with with.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Well here we go. We doing this now

Edit: been in the smoker since around 8:30, started making smoke but now has stopped. I hope that means it’s making blue smoke but I haven’t seen any even though it appears the wood has burned down now.

life is killing me fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 1, 2021

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Anyone know how long a sealed packer will last? I bought one two weeks ago and it doesn't have a best-before date on it. I called the butcher and they said they're still using the same shipment, so I presume it's still good.

I'll crack it open tomorrow and see if it's really funky, which is tricky because vac sealed meat is usually funky when you open it up.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Dango Bango posted:

I hate such long stalls on little butts. It always feels like they're going to dry out, so around hour 12 is when I start panicking and just finish them in the oven wrapped in foil.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Canuckistan posted:

Anyone know how long a sealed packer will last?

Smell test.

Canuckistan posted:

I hate such long stalls on little butts. It always feels like they're going to dry out, so around hour 12 is when I start panicking and just finish them in the oven wrapped in foil.

Thankfully mine didn't dry out and still turned out fantastic. I think I ended up pulling it at 190. Dinner was pushed back a little, but not too egregiously.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

Canuckistan posted:

Anyone know how long a sealed packer will last? I bought one two weeks ago and it doesn't have a best-before date on it. I called the butcher and they said they're still using the same shipment, so I presume it's still good.

I'll crack it open tomorrow and see if it's really funky, which is tricky because vac sealed meat is usually funky when you open it up.

It's a legitimate method to buy a sealed vacuum packer and let it "wet age" for 3 to 4 weeks.

I've done it with no ill effect, and the brisket turned out wonderfully tender.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

So I just pulled my brisket flat at 209F. Is it going to hurt it that it went a few degrees above target? I just powered through the (pretty short) stall and ended up running out of hickory and finished with alder, but it’s got a really nice smoky smell to it and the bark turned put nice except for some moist and mushy part on top

e: haha it kinda looks like Ohio (I’ll show myself out)

life is killing me fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Apr 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

212 is when the water would theoretically boil, so as long as you don't hit that it's probably A- good instead of A+ good.