Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Dacap posted:

Can’t stop makin’ B R E A D C U B E S

And you absolutely shouldn’t because that looks aymayzing!

Edit: I must be pedantic and point out that what you’ve made is a B R E A D C U B O I D

bolind fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Mar 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Looks amazing, but that topology...

If I am supposed to use a stand mixer at medium speed for ten minutes, how long do I need by hand approximately? Is it don't bother and get a stand mixer?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I suspect the recipe is confused, dough on medium for 10 mins is how you shorten your motor life. You mix for 4 on low, let it rest for 10 mins so the water can soak in then mix for another 4. You will know it’s right because after the second mix it’s like silk.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
i like big buns and i cannot lie
you other brothers can’t deny
that when a guy walks past a bakery case
with those round things in your face
you get hung...
...ry

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Dear Diary,

Today I tried to make bubbly poolish from my sourdough starter and failed again, it smelled like a bar used to on the Sunday morning after a football match and was just goopy. I read somewhere on the internet that using rye flour will break down gluten so instead I used AP flour for the poolish but it was probably a bad idea. Well, we are having guests and the smell indicated taste so I put it in the bread and added a pinch of commercial yeast. Don't tell anyone, but if this works, I will do it more often! Right now the dough is in the kitchen doing a slow ferment, who knows how it looks tomorrow morning?!? Waking up at 7 to fold it so I can bake it at 9 in time for lunch!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Keetron posted:

Dear Diary,

Today I tried to make bubbly poolish from my sourdough starter and failed again, it smelled like a bar used to on the Sunday morning after a football match and was just goopy. I read somewhere on the internet that using rye flour will break down gluten so instead I used AP flour for the poolish but it was probably a bad idea. Well, we are having guests and the smell indicated taste so I put it in the bread and added a pinch of commercial yeast. Don't tell anyone, but if this works, I will do it more often! Right now the dough is in the kitchen doing a slow ferment, who knows how it looks tomorrow morning?!? Waking up at 7 to fold it so I can bake it at 9 in time for lunch!

seems like it’s doing fine. the only thing adding a pinch of commercial yeast gets you is better rise and more stable proofing times. i do it all the time.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Hi Bread Thread. I would like to keep some frozen dough/buns in the freezer so that I can pull them out and have large white hot dog buns ready to eat within, say, four hours. Any tips for freezing parbaked buns and/or shaped dough?

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

mediaphage posted:

seems like it’s doing fine. the only thing adding a pinch of commercial yeast gets you is better rise and more stable proofing times. i do it all the time.

It turned out pretty great, we had guests and I love how people cannot stop eating these breads.

The one in the back was the sourdough, the one in front was the backup bread. As a result, I could give my guests some bread to take home which they eagerly accepted. Mission accomplished. And that pinch will go in more often, it allows me to get risen sourdough breads and I love that.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
Followed through on my first crack at soft pretzels today.

Before the oven:

After the oven:

The whole gang, showing my dumpy fat ones before I got better at rolling them out…

Next time I’ll probably try baking my baking soda first.

fake edit: phone posting so apologies if they’re huge, I can’t remember how to force thumbnails in bb code.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

fourwood posted:

Followed through on my first crack at soft pretzels today.

Before the oven:

After the oven:

The whole gang, showing my dumpy fat ones before I got better at rolling them out…

Next time I’ll probably try baking my baking soda first.

fake edit: phone posting so apologies if they’re huge, I can’t remember how to force thumbnails in bb code.

Would eat.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Entropic posted:

I'm looking for a good caraway rye bread recipe, does anyone have a go-to?

reposting this because I've tried a couple recipes now with meh results.

What am I doing wrong if my rye loafs never seem to rise very well? I've had pretty good success with artisan loaves, baguettes, and even milk bread, but I haven't found a good rye recipe that works for me. I just want like a caraway rye sandwich bread that isn't super-dense. Does anyone have a recipe they like, preferably with measurements in grams?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Entropic posted:

reposting this because I've tried a couple recipes now with meh results.

What am I doing wrong if my rye loafs never seem to rise very well? I've had pretty good success with artisan loaves, baguettes, and even milk bread, but I haven't found a good rye recipe that works for me. I just want like a caraway rye sandwich bread that isn't super-dense. Does anyone have a recipe they like, preferably with measurements in grams?

Nothing. You will need to add a bit of white. Rye just doesn’t rise much.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I mean both recipes I've tried have been like 1:1 or 2:3 rye:ap flours.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Yeah, w/ that much rye you're not going to get a lot of lift. It's a tradeoff, you gotta jiggle the percentages until you get a balance of density and rye flavour that you're happy with.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I've always used a spoonful of diastatic malt powder in my rye loaves to get a little extra oomph in the proof

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
I've done 2:1 ap:rye and still don't get the rise I like. Just the nature of the beast.

This is really more cake-like, but the recipe said lemon poppy bread, so it counts. The lemon glaze was pretty choice.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

looks good! all those quick breads are just cakes, just like most muffins are unfrosted cupcakes.

Human Tornada posted:

Hi Bread Thread. I would like to keep some frozen dough/buns in the freezer so that I can pull them out and have large white hot dog buns ready to eat within, say, four hours. Any tips for freezing parbaked buns and/or shaped dough?

if you’re going to freeze parbaked buns you might as well just bake all the way because if you’re eating immediately i don’t think there’s gonna be a big quality difference.

tho imo it’s just as easy to do a first rise, bag and freeze it, ideally pressing it out into a flat sheet.

then thaw it by setting it in a pan of your hottest tap water and when it’s room temp, shape and proof like normal.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Dacap posted:

Can’t stop makin’ B R E A D C U B E S

B R E A D C U B O I D S

:spergin:

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

So, I think I may have killed my starter?

Early last week, i took it out of the fridge to let it warm up and wake up and I noticed that it smelled super sour, but not like spoiled. I've spent the last 5 or so days dumping half our and replacing with 100g each of flour and water, but despite testing every day, the starter still doesn't pass the float test. This morning when I checked it before feeding, it had almost no sour smell at all to it, but didn't smell off in any way. It was also still pretty gooey, instead of going runny like starter does. The wife is certain I killed the starter by not dumping some before feeding last time I made bread, and at this point I'm starting to think so as well. Have I killed, and am now restarting, my starter?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Aside from heat they're hard to kill.

How much are you keeping? I'm reading that you're using200g starter, 100g flour, 100 water for a feeding?

I have much better luck with using a smaller seed of starter for feeding. Otherwise is your kitchen colder then normal? 60 vs 70 ambient temp can give me an entire extra day between feedings.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Aside from heat they're hard to kill.

How much are you keeping? I'm reading that you're using200g starter, 100g flour, 100 water for a feeding?

I have much better luck with using a smaller seed of starter for feeding. Otherwise is your kitchen colder then normal? 60 vs 70 ambient temp can give me an entire extra day between feedings.

I'm not actually weighing out how much starter I'm keeping. Usually I just dump about half of it and feed it the 200g flour/water. Those number are probably pretty close to what it actually is though. I can dump out more before feeding if you think it'll help. And yeah, our kitchen is cold right now. it's been cold and rainy the last few days and today's the first day it's supposed to get above 60 this past week. It does make sense that the colder temps would make it so I could wait longer and would explain why the starter had yet to go all runny like it normally does.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

neogeo0823 posted:

I'm not actually weighing out how much starter I'm keeping. Usually I just dump about half of it and feed it the 200g flour/water. Those number are probably pretty close to what it actually is though. I can dump out more before feeding if you think it'll help. And yeah, our kitchen is cold right now. it's been cold and rainy the last few days and today's the first day it's supposed to get above 60 this past week. It does make sense that the colder temps would make it so I could wait longer and would explain why the starter had yet to go all runny like it normally does.
Does it rise?

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

neogeo0823 posted:

Yeah you should definitely be getting rid of more than half for feedings. (And by getting rid of I mean putting in a separate container for use in crackers and pancakes.) I have mine in a mason jar and generally I'll pour out almost all of it, except what naturally sticks to the bottom and the sides — if I had to guess it's probably only 20-40g. I scrape that down with a spoon and then add in the water and the flour.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

to me that sounds like over-feeding, which is probably why the odor lessened - there are less of the byproducts of yeast activity/fermentation while they populate all the fresh flour you've been adding. i keep my starter in the fridge and feed it either "when i remember" or when i bake and that works great. if you're okay giving it 100g flour per day, why not try baking a loaf to see how it goes? i bet you its totally fine.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

And obviously don't dump your discard, make pancakes or crumpets with it.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

So I decided to make this

https://www.theperfectloaf.com/spelt-rye-and-whole-wheat-sourdough-bread/

But then I realised I didn't have any spelt flour so dug in my cupboards and found some Emmer so I used that instead. I had to adjust the amount of flour a little as the emmer absorbs less water I feel. But still near 85% hydration.

It tastes great and got a decent rise to it but I have a problem. With these high hydration breads when I'm transferring it from the peel to the steel it kinda rolls slightly off the peel. You can see maybe that the bread is straight on one edge and bulbous on the other where to rolled slightly. How do I stop that happening?

Aramoro fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Mar 30, 2021

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Are you using parchment?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Casu Marzu posted:

Are you using parchment?

No just semolina/flour. I'll give that a go though as that sounds like it would fix me 'wobbly like a jelly' bread issue.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

mediaphage posted:

if you’re going to freeze parbaked buns you might as well just bake all the way because if you’re eating immediately i don’t think there’s gonna be a big quality difference.

tho imo it’s just as easy to do a first rise, bag and freeze it, ideally pressing it out into a flat sheet.

then thaw it by setting it in a pan of your hottest tap water and when it’s room temp, shape and proof like normal.

Thanks! I think I'll try it your way and see how it goes.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

fourwood posted:

Does it rise?

It'll have bubbles in it the next morning when I go to feed it again. It's been about 12 hours since feeding and checking it now, it definitely smells sour and normal again, and there's a bunch of tiny bubbles on the surface.

Chad Sexington posted:

Yeah you should definitely be getting rid of more than half for feedings. (And by getting rid of I mean putting in a separate container for use in crackers and pancakes.) I have mine in a mason jar and generally I'll pour out almost all of it, except what naturally sticks to the bottom and the sides - if I had to guess it's probably only 20-40g. I scrape that down with a spoon and then add in the water and the flour.

God that sounds so wasteful. I don't make *nearly* enough pancakes to use 95% of my starter every(other) day. I'd be giving them away to the neighbors and annoying them with it. I'd like to find more recipes that use up more starter and don't have like a 36 hour timer to them. I just bake the occasional loaf or pizza crust with what I have now.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Human Tornada posted:

Thanks! I think I'll try it your way and see how it goes.

i just thought, depending on your schedules:

- it's easy to thaw overnight in the fridge if you aren't in a hurry and freezing flat is less of a concern if this is your primary use case
- if you use higher hydration doughs, it can stick to the bag if you leave it in long enough to get warm (doughs are usually easier to pull out of a container when cold); you might wish to spray a little cooking spray or similar in your bag before depositing the dough within if this is a concern

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

neogeo0823 posted:

God that sounds so wasteful. I don't make *nearly* enough pancakes to use 95% of my starter every(other) day. I'd be giving them away to the neighbors and annoying them with it. I'd like to find more recipes that use up more starter and don't have like a 36 hour timer to them. I just bake the occasional loaf or pizza crust with what I have now.

If you're just feeding the starter and not using it right away, you can get by with fairly small quantities of flour and water so you're not wasting anything.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

yeah we’ve discussed this before but you can make a starter with just a couple tablespoons of flour and water. if you still don’t want to throw away excess just store it in a bag in the freezer and use it stuff calls for a poolish or whatever

Barbelith
Oct 23, 2010

SMILE
Taco Defender
Because it's Easter I made a regional speciality, Görzer Pinzen. These are traditionally only made once a year to celebrate the end of Lent.

A rich sweet roll with plenty of butter and egg yolks, flavored with wine that has been soaked in anise. The dough balls are cut three times with scissors which may have to do with the trinity or just look cool, idk.

Pinzen ready to bake:

Finished:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Oh, how pretty!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

those are lovely

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Drake no: square bread
Drake yes: triangle bread

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

spring resurrection baking

olive oil cardamom hot cross buns, with rum-soaked cranberries, lemon-vanilla icing

buttermilk brioche doughnuts, half with powdered sugar, half with hibiscus-blueberry icing

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

mediaphage posted:

spring resurrection baking

I'm usually not a huge fan of sweet baked goods but oh my god these look absolutely delicious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Malefitz posted:

I'm usually not a huge fan of sweet baked goods but oh my god these look absolutely delicious

thanks friend! this was my first time making hot cross buns and i sort of just winged the whole thing. we were mostly out of butter (!!!!!!!!) so i used olive oil, etc.