Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I really like my thermarest pillow stuff sack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

FCKGW posted:

Woot has the Marmot PreCip rain jacket on sale for $36
https://sport.woot.com/offers/marmot-mens-precip-waterprf-rain-jacket

...sure, why not. As much as i hate how the interiors "decay" with age, I still have yet to find a substitute I like more.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

SwissArmyDruid posted:

...sure, why not. As much as i hate how the interiors "decay" with age, I still have yet to find a substitute I like more.

Same about the interior. I did switch to the OR Helium when it was on sale a few years ago and it holds up great. That said for the price the Precip is hard to beat.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I got the Precip at full price ($100?) and it's great. I finally used it for the first time for real this week and I stayed dry in constant drizzle.

It replaced my North Face rain jacket that I've had for years which yes, the inside decayed like an ancient tomb. I still have it just in case.

Spanish Inquisition
Oct 26, 2006
LISTEN TO THIS SHITTY SONG BY MY SHITTY BAND! used tire.mp3

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Yeah anything from Warbonnet will be quality and last you a long time. I have an XLC and my wife has a Blackbird, both are awesome.

OSU_Matthew posted:

You absolutely have the right idea of buy once, cry once.

Thanks, y'all! I feel super confident in my gear choices now. And I'll definitely grab a pad to get me through spring/summer/early fall before investing in an underquilt. Unfortunately Warbonnet is now sold out of the hammock I want... also it'll be another 4-6 weeks before I get my top quilt... and 2-3 weeks for my backpack :sweatdrop:

That just gives me plenty of time to push the length of my day hikes and do some car camping in preparation!

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Foam sit pad, carabiners, UL stuff sack, black diamond headlamp, inflatable lantern, wide brim hat, wool neck buff, titanium cup, plastic flask, packable flip flops

:hmmyes:

I also really like my helinox one camp chair, especially after getting the little rubber ball dingus ends so it doesn’t sink in soft ground.

Less of a buy thing, but a diy pack hanger to hold your near emptied pack on a tree is really nice. Odorproof ziploc bags are also really great. A good chain link ratsack or critter proof ursack minor food bag is a good piece of mind convenience if you’re outside of a bear canister area. Can confirm the ursack minor holds up well to raccoons fighting over it.

This down pillow from Hammock Gear might be the single best thing I’ve ever bought in terms of comfort, and weighs nothing. The extra 2.9 ounces is 110% worth the comfort upgrade from balling up my jacket or spare clothes, I sleep so much better. So much so I bought full down pillows for my bed at home.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Gear report from a one night trip to the everglades.

Thank god I second guessed myself and bought some cheap poles, a blue tarp and paracord to make a sun shelter cause the sun nearly robbed me of my sanity.

Permetherin gear spray really works; soon as I switched to my sleeping clothes which weren't laced with the stuff mosquitos started their attack runs on me.

Neoair xlite worked just fine at night at high 60's to low 70's for me, though I used my cheap cotton flannel sleeping bag fully open as a blanket.

I man tipped his hat to me as he walked past and I obliged then I wondered if it was because we were both wearing tilley hats.

I slept with the rainfly off my half dome 2+ and awoke due to some waterdrops falling on my face and drops and small puddles on the inside tent. I was sleeping maybe 75ft from the lake and there was light fog over it in the morning. If I had the rainfly on would that have prevented the inside build up?

Quixotic1 fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Mar 29, 2021

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

OSU_Matthew posted:

:hmmyes:

I also really like my helinox one camp chair, especially after getting the little rubber ball dingus ends so it doesn’t sink in soft ground.

I've had my eye on these things. Hoping to buy one next time there's a sale or something.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Quixotic1 posted:

I slept with the rainfly off my half dome 2+ and awoke due to some waterdrops falling on my face and drops and small puddles on the inside tent. I was sleeping maybe 75ft from the lake and there was light fog over it in the morning. If I had the rainfly on would that have prevented the inside build up?

Probably. I had the same thing happen in the Badlands where I woke up to pea soup fog and puddles inside the tent. The tents that did put up the rain fly didn't have any issues.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I got a pair of these Sportneer Portable Lightweight Folding Camp Chairs which is two chairs for half the price of a Helinox. They work really well. Probably a lot heavier though.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Loaded up the Hill People Gear Qui-Ya and Kit Bag v2 to about 45 pounds and took it for a mile and a half spin with a pretty good hill in the middle as real mild practice. The pack and kit bag combo carries great and brings a tear to my eye regarding the crappy pack I used for research in the Black Hills. I used the Salomon Quest GTX 4d 3 boots that I saw recommended around here.

All told very happy with the gear.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

waffle enthusiast posted:

Never heard of them before this post, but I did some research and pulled the trigger on a Forklaz 100 puffy for general use. Seems like it would be a solid option for general hiking/summer backpacking use. Thanks for the tip!

Light use review: decent down jacket but not sure I’d trust it below 30° so I’m still on the hunt for a warmer, more packable backcountry skiing puffy. It’s definitely cozy for around town and light activity. I think it will work for backpacking and hiking, as long as you don’t expect it to get super cold at night. Great zippers, so-so fill. I really wish I could find more info on where the materials are sourced (not just final assembly).

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

edit: double post

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Mar 30, 2021

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I got a pair of these Sportneer Portable Lightweight Folding Camp Chairs which is two chairs for half the price of a Helinox. They work really well. Probably a lot heavier though.

Honestly? Looks identical. Same overall weight, same weight rating, same poles, frame and seat. I’m guessing these are a direct result of what happens when you outsource your manufacturing.

Yeah, I’d probably buy this instead now... >50% chance the parts come from the same suppliers. At least I’ve gotten a few good years of use out of the helinox though, no regerts

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The fancier helinox chairs are definitely lighter, but you do pay a premium for it. Probably worth it if you plan on hiking very far with it.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
They're definitely not identical, my friend had the real ones and I have the knock offs. The real ones pack down a little bit more and are notably lighter. That said, unless I was backpacking with one I wouldn't pay more for the real deal. They both sink annoyingly into soft soil, I need to find some better feet for mine for that.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

A foam sit pad is also much cheaper and easier to whip out than assembling a chair. But I love to relax my back after a long hike.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I have the Alite Mayfly chair which has two big ball legs in the back which I like. Doesn't sink down much even in sand.

edit: I don't think the company exists anymore which is a shame.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Mar 30, 2021

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I have a version of that chair without the front bar. Weighs very little but you have to keep your legs out straight otherwise you fall over.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
I bought 4 tennis balls from the dollar store for like two dollars. The legs will eventually work their way through if you use them on soft ground a lot, but you should be able to get a couple years out of a set if you rotate them.

They even fit in the chair one bag if I pack the chair carefully.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Math You posted:

I bought 4 tennis balls from the dollar store for like two dollars. The legs will eventually work their way through if you use them on soft ground a lot, but you should be able to get a couple years out of a set if you rotate them.

They even fit in the chair one bag if I pack the chair carefully.

Ah, good idea. I was planning to 3d print something but hadn't gotten around to modeling it yet.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
My brother & sister and my adult niece & nephew all got our permits for the Enchantment Lakes (well, snow lake, not the core) this August. I've been twice before and it's one of the most beautiful places in the PNW to backpack so I'm incredibly excited we won the permit lottery.

With that though it's time to replace a few pieces of gear so I'm going to find some new boots that I can begin breaking in on conditioning hikes this spring/summer.

Here's where I need some advice. I have a pair of Merrell Moab Ventillator low's that are probably 8-10 years old and while they still fit great and I can probably get some more seasons out of them I wouldn't mind something newer/lighter probably. I have narrow & flat feet so finding a pair of good hiking/backpacking boots where my heel isn't lifting out is always a bit of a challenge.

I'm considering just getting the latest version of the Moab 2's if I can find an REI that actually has some in stock but then I need to decide if I want to do low again or mid and if I should go with waterproof/gore or just the breathable ventillator's. Most of my hiking is fair-weather but I certainly do some spring stuff where I'm crossing snow patches or contending with mud in the northwest (Portland/Columbia Gorge/Mt Hood area).

I've also go snow-shoeing in the winter but I have a separate pair of goretex montrail high-tops I use for that but they've never fit great. So if I find something that's a mid-top and waterproof it'd be nice if they could serve double-duty as boots for snowshoeing/micro-spike-ing.

I'd love to hear people's thoughts on waterproof vs. breathable. I've never rolled my ankle bad in all of my years of hiking/backpacking in low-tops so I think the main reason I'd consider mids would be to keep rocks out when I'm contending with scree fields & gravely cascade mtn volcanic terrain.

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

getting myself back into shape and am hyped to start backpacking again. I've got a decent enough setup already, but I'm grabbing some new gear. I bought a new 40L bag from REI which is great, and my goal is to put together a fairly light pack over overnights or even 2 days. My 65L gregory pack I got a few years ago was such major overkill lol.

I ended up biting the bullet and order a Lanshan 1 Pro last night. Did a lot of research and wanted something really lightweight and trekking poll based. I know there's issues with condensation on single layer tents, but I'm in Colorado and less concerned about it since it's so dry here generally. It also seemed worth it for the added space. Now, who knows when the drat thing will get here from aliexpress, but it still seems like a decent deal. If I hate it I can always sell it for 50 bucks or something and not be in the hole on it that much.

I picked up a sierra design zipperless 20 degree sleeping bag last year which has been amazing as a side and stomach sleeper. I cheaped out on the pad though, it's good enough for warm weather but does anyone have a pad reccomendation for colder weather that doesn't break the bank?

Also picked myself up a cot a costco for car camping which should be the poo poo haha.

Biohazard fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Mar 30, 2021

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

MMD3 posted:

My brother & sister and my adult niece & nephew all got our permits for the Enchantment Lakes (well, snow lake, not the core) this August. I've been twice before and it's one of the most beautiful places in the PNW to backpack so I'm incredibly excited we won the permit lottery.

With that though it's time to replace a few pieces of gear so I'm going to find some new boots that I can begin breaking in on conditioning hikes this spring/summer.

Here's where I need some advice. I have a pair of Merrell Moab Ventillator low's that are probably 8-10 years old and while they still fit great and I can probably get some more seasons out of them I wouldn't mind something newer/lighter probably. I have narrow & flat feet so finding a pair of good hiking/backpacking boots where my heel isn't lifting out is always a bit of a challenge.

I'm considering just getting the latest version of the Moab 2's if I can find an REI that actually has some in stock but then I need to decide if I want to do low again or mid and if I should go with waterproof/gore or just the breathable ventillator's. Most of my hiking is fair-weather but I certainly do some spring stuff where I'm crossing snow patches or contending with mud in the northwest (Portland/Columbia Gorge/Mt Hood area).

I've also go snow-shoeing in the winter but I have a separate pair of goretex montrail high-tops I use for that but they've never fit great. So if I find something that's a mid-top and waterproof it'd be nice if they could serve double-duty as boots for snowshoeing/micro-spike-ing.

I'd love to hear people's thoughts on waterproof vs. breathable. I've never rolled my ankle bad in all of my years of hiking/backpacking in low-tops so I think the main reason I'd consider mids would be to keep rocks out when I'm contending with scree fields & gravely cascade mtn volcanic terrain.

There's a lot of mixed feelings on waterproof/goretex etc but I'll give you my two cents.

Waterproof boots have their time and place. Even though I do most of my backpacking and hiking in trail runners, I own two pairs of goretex boots; one for mountaineering and the others are salomon quest GTXs that I use for awful conditions and snowshoeing. I love the comfort of moab mids but their low ankle height always had me always digging out debris from my socks. The salomons feel a little bulkier but they also fit higher on the ankle which is kind of nice because in my opinion when you need waterproof boots, having a higher cuff seems appropriate to keep water and mud out. I also have never rolled an ankle hiking but the Salomons actually go over your ankle and provide better support. The best way to keep your boots/feet dry in wet conditions is gaiters. Keeping poo poo out of the top of your boots and laces will keep your boots dryer longer. Goretex also wears out over time so don't expect day 1 waterproofness out of a pair of 8 year old boots. The stitching on the liners stretch, dirt and debris gets into the fabric. Superfeet insoles ... the plastic on the insoles often rub and wear through the waterproof membrane of the boots so consider that. Ive had several friends have issues with this.

That said, waterproof boots can still get wet, usually from sweat in your feet/legs or moisture running down your pants into your feet, or just by repeated saturation on really wet days. When they do get wet, they stay wet for a long time and its difficult to dry them out overnight. When they're wet, they hold water like a bathtub making them heavy and likely to soften your feet and give you blisters. This is the reason I tend to use lightweight trail runners that are breathable. They get wet but they don't retain water like boots with waterproof liners, and they dry much quicker. Also waterproof boots are never as breathable as boots meant to be breathable. I don't care what goretex or any other "breathable" fabric says, air moves easier through mesh or some other fabric not meant to block water. You may sweat more in waterpoof boots in the summer than you would a more breathable option. So consider your average usage.

If you want waterproof boots, get some goretex boots. I suggest something with a higher cuff up the ankle. Gaiters really help keep out debris and water/snow if you're in really lovely conditions, especially if walking through high and damp vegetation. Wool socks obviously as they breathe well and don't retain water like cotton.

If you want something more breathable, look at non waterproof boots as they will dry faster and breathe better on the trail. I personally like trail runners but they're not for everybody and thats a decision everybody needs to make for themselves.

BTW, I love the enchantments and while the snow zone is not the ideal permit, its way better than stuart or eightmile so at least you have direct access to the core zone. I think I'm going to try a one day through hike this summer.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

Biohazard posted:

I ended up biting the bullet and order a Lanshan 1 Pro last night. Did a lot of research and wanted something really lightweight and trekking poll based. I know there's issues with condensation on single layer tents, but I'm in Colorado and less concerned about it since it's so dry here generally. It also seemed worth it for the added space. Now, who knows when the drat thing will get here from aliexpress, but it still seems like a decent deal. If I hate it I can always sell it for 50 bucks or something and not be in the hole on it that much.

You will still have condensation. If anything it may be worse because of the temperature difference.

I camp in a single wall tent in the Canadian rockies and it's fine. Just don't brush up against the walls of your tent and you won't have any problems. And even if you do, it probably won't be bad enough to wet out your sleeping bag.

I've woken up a few times with a damp foot box but was still toasty.

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Demon_Corsair posted:

You will still have condensation. If anything it may be worse because of the temperature difference.

I camp in a single wall tent in the Canadian rockies and it's fine. Just don't brush up against the walls of your tent and you won't have any problems. And even if you do, it probably won't be bad enough to wet out your sleeping bag.

I've woken up a few times with a damp foot box but was still toasty.

Good to know. Yeah my feet aren’t generally the problem. The next upgrade is probably a better sleeping pad and sleeping bag, but I don’t like mummy bags and quilts don’t feel like they provide enough Warmth all around.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

FCKGW posted:

I have the Alite Mayfly chair which has two big ball legs in the back which I like. Doesn't sink down much even in sand.

edit: I don't think the company exists anymore which is a shame.

Alas, they do not. Which is a shame, because they get a ton of free advertising for their now non-existent brand off Yurucamp.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Alas, they do not. Which is a shame, because they get a ton of free advertising for their now non-existent brand off Yurucamp.

A billion knockoff helinox chairs on Amazon but not one mayfly knockoff. The technical papers must have been burned or something. You look online and people want triple digits for it.

Lets find a manufacturer and get this goon company set up; I smell a fortune milking weebs of their money.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Anyone have a particular cheap axe they like?

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Casu Marzu posted:

Any fiskars axe I've used from their line has been really good. That would be the maul, splitting axe, and hatchet. I think they have a few other intermediate sizes as well. What's your use case?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

2nd fiskars, I have a hatchet I like from them and a friend has a big axe they like.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
Are there any devices out there that can transfer fuel between fuel canisters? I have a bunch of canisters at like 15-20%

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Casu Marzu posted:

Fiskars are nice.

If you want a cheaper alternative to a granfors or hults swedish style axe, husqvarna makes some great and slightly more affordable options that are manufactured in the same foundry in sweden and perform really well. I take my forest axe in my truck any time I go into the mountains.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

armorer posted:

Any fiskars axe I've used from their line has been really good. That would be the maul, splitting axe, and hatchet. I think they have a few other intermediate sizes as well. What's your use case?

PokeJoe posted:

2nd fiskars, I have a hatchet I like from them and a friend has a big axe they like.

Kinda figured Fiskars would be a good bet

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

ROFLburger posted:

Are there any devices out there that can transfer fuel between fuel canisters? I have a bunch of canisters at like 15-20%

Assuming you're talking about Lindal valve canisters, something like this should do it: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00U2EE6M2

You can also get adapters between Lindal valves and standard 1lb propane or 8oz butane canisters which allow for changing fuels, refilling, etc.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Fiskars also makes the only "splitting hatchet" I've come across in the x11. It's got quite the wedge shape on it and it's been a dream for breaking down bigger pieces of wood.
That said I'm not sure if it would be my favourite tool for usual hatchet tasks such as creating fine kindling. It tends to either fly through or come right out. I'm sure as hell not going cut anything that's not free standing with it.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Another vote for Fiskars cheap axes. I paired mine with a sheath from this guy:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fiskars-X7-Axe-Sheath-Safety-Orange-Kydex/294091753084?hash=item44793c067c:g:RckAAOSw5r9eGjCk
And its now the only axe I bring on my winter ski trips.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I love my Fiskars (need to sharpen it) and I’ve been using it for last 5 years.

I will say the best recent camping purchase I have made is a small battery operated chainsaw. It cuts great while being quieter than a normal chainsaw and is is really lite.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Quixotic1 posted:

A billion knockoff helinox chairs on Amazon but not one mayfly knockoff. The technical papers must have been burned or something. You look online and people want triple digits for it.

Lets find a manufacturer and get this goon company set up; I smell a fortune milking weebs of their money.

I didn't believe you when you said triple digits.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Alite-Mayfly-Chair-Southwest-Hiking-Camping-Festival-Lawn-Compact-Seat/124644011251

Listing "from Japan"? Some dumb otaku must have spent a fortune getting it across the pond.

poo poo, I have one of the Stonefly chairs, I picked it up at REI when Alite was still in business, we'll use it as the prototype.

(If I must admit to being a dumb otaku myself, it's that I want to get me one of those Sho's B-6-kun grills. Should run me $60 before shipping, which is not the stupidest purchase I've ever made.)

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Apr 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I didn't believe you when you said triple digits.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Alite-Mayfly-Chair-Southwest-Hiking-Camping-Festival-Lawn-Compact-Seat/124644011251

Listing "from Japan"? Some dumb otaku must have spent a fortune getting it across the pond.

poo poo, I have one of the Stonefly chairs, I picked it up at REI when Alite was still in business, we'll use it as the prototype.

(If I must admit to being a dumb otaku myself, it's that I want to get me one of those Sho's B-6-kun grills. Should run me $60 before shipping, which is not the stupidest purchase I've ever made.)

I've also eyed buying the grill as well but the fuel considerations for it makes me just want to get a portable weber or use my old man's coleman grill for simplicity.