Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
He introduced a black woman before talking about racial unrest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Hang on when did she appear... did he literally come up with her and this because of the BLM protests of 2020?

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

egg tats posted:

I'm sorry is mookie about to turn this story into one about motherfucking orc supremacy????

I don't really know why I'm surprised, but I still am

links for folk who can't time travel for some reason
March 31:
https://www.dominic-deegan.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/3477_20210331.jpg
april 2:
https://www.dominic-deegan.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/3478_20210402.jpg

You have to hand it to Mookie, he knows how to pull a good April Fool's prank.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I don't even know what the gently caress this comic is about at this point

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

The afro and earring on the human guest give me very bad vibes.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

The fact that he makes his green panthers/Nation of Chandack characters also cannibals on the sentient plant people is just *chef's kiss*.

Also

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Kavak posted:

The afro and earring on the human guest give me very bad vibes.

Don't worry it's a preweekend comic. These characters will be forgotten about come monday

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Beelzebufo posted:

The fact that he makes his green panthers/Nation of Chandack characters also cannibals on the sentient plant people is just *chef's kiss*.

He also immediately follows that with showing a human and a Bulu visitor to Arudak's tower, because he's afraid of maintaining any tension about that seemingly noteworthy social movement having had any residual influence and Maltak being anything other than an enlightened liberal utopia.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Beelzebufo posted:

I promise I won't spill the beans like that every week, but Mookie stumbling into once again having part of an oppressed minority group in his setting be "the bad ones" who won't instantly forgive the pseudo-european colonizers is perfect. And even beyond that, it's not like this is just a plot-point for maybe exploring how forgiveness could happen; instead it's framed (maybe unintentionally?) like a polemic. It's not just that Sekuat Mut differ from other orcs, it's that the narrative instantly lets you know that they are the backward and wrong ones.

Mookie was called a Yacubian by a street preacher once and it has stayed with him ever since.

I’m reminded of a tangent near the end of Displacement where the author actually discusses this phenomenon with how Japanese-Americans who went through the incarceration camps and became conventionally successful after WW2 were held up as “model minorities” to contrast against blacks during the Civil Rights Movement.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
There's a lot to unpack with these pages but for no reason at all I'm gonna focus in on how Mookie's spent pages upon pages doing literally nothing with his setting, but now that he finally feels like introducing some lore and a new species we get a text paragraph saying what they are and where they came from just one panel before Snout literally runs right into one.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
Wow, I wouldn't have guessed that. Somehow, Mookie has held himself back from rattling off a handful of slurs for the plant people, but that probably just means he's saving them for next week.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I'm sure Mookie will handle these new characters with all the racial sensitivity he's learned in the years since Deegan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQiSgWGAc24

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Regalingualius posted:

I’m reminded of a tangent near the end of Displacement where the author actually discusses this phenomenon with how Japanese-Americans who went through the incarceration camps and became conventionally successful after WW2 were held up as “model minorities” to contrast against blacks during the Civil Rights Movement.

At this point I'm expecting an orc from the meanie tribe to walk in calling himself Maltak X.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Invisible Clergy posted:

Wow, I wouldn't have guessed that. Somehow, Mookie has held himself back from rattling off a handful of slurs for the plant people, but that probably just means he's saving them for next week.

Can't spell out all the slurs if the main character can't hear them!
Although that does make me excited to see someone use ink magic to make a slur float in midair.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Samovar posted:

What are those abo-

Actually, no. I don't need to know.

Well, in the case of this week's questionable content, it is just... kinda boring? It is more or less a 90s era joke dressed up in modern trappings. A character's mom turns out to be a popular vtuber and her avatar is a cow lady.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

evilmiera posted:

Well, in the case of this week's questionable content, it is just... kinda boring? It is more or less a 90s era joke dressed up in modern trappings. A character's mom turns out to be a popular vtuber and her avatar is a cow lady.

And she's roped him into doing it with her and even had a dumb nickname already picked out for him. The implications of that are what make it skeevy.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

My first thought on seeing them was a hosed up scarecrow from wizard of oz

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Beelzebufo posted:

Also

El Seed is better wordplay than anything Mookie has ever tried across all his comics.

Billy Gnosis fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Mar 31, 2021

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
The Tick is incredible in basically all its forms and if Mookie was even a fraction as good then this thread would not exist.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
All the orcs in the time of Dominic already considered sentient vegetables nothing more than food to be harvested so why the hell is it a big deal now?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Twelve by Pies posted:

All the orcs in the time of Dominic already considered sentient vegetables nothing more than food to be harvested so why the hell is it a big deal now?

Someone pointed out to Mookie how hosed up that was

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Twelve by Pies posted:

Were there ones that could talk? I thought they were just animals but :airquote: vegetables :airquote:

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Zereth posted:

Were there ones that could talk? I thought they were just animals but :airquote: vegetables :airquote:

No. Your recollection is correct.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Now all I can imagine would be an actually pretty good joke where Dominic, talking about how all the orcs are ACTUALLY vegetarians, and their tusks and teeth and claws and stuff are only there because Orc Plants are dangerous and violence and alive, but TECHNICALLY not meat, runs into a group of orcs at a feast or something.

Who are all eating the gently caress out of some meat.

Dominic has a fit, because HOW DARE THEY, they're supposed to be VEGANS, they can't eat meat!

With the response being something like "dude, do you have any idea how hard farming is in Maltuk? I had to fight off ten Dandelions to feed my starving children last week! We came here for a visit, and I found out here, they just farm animals! You ever had fist fight a chicken to feed a kid? Here, they're totally docile! It's great! I'm gonna have some steak next!"

then of course, Dominic would shout back "Don't have a cow, man!" and then the next beat panel would be him looking at the audience

This was funnier in my head

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

The problem with Deegan orcs is they're biologically incapable of eating meat.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Twelve by Pies posted:

Well, these are people.

But also huge hilarity at 'actually the orcs are now orc supremacists, because not only did they suddenly become in charge so they must do an oppression like the humans did, but also completely coincidentally plant-people are introduced and the orcs went yeah we'll eat food that presumably talks.'

Which is especially hilarious because it implies the only thing preventing orc culture from embracing cannibalism or eating humans is biological incapacity.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Also I just find it funny that after spending 99% of the original series showing us how so many Callanians were bloodthirsty, racist monsters now the story is “ooh why’s this orc want retribution for centuries old crimes?” As if this isn’t the same Callan that made pacts with Satan(s) to genocide the orcs a little over 200 years ago.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

TheHan posted:

Also I just find it funny that after spending 99% of the original series showing us how so many Callanians were bloodthirsty, racist monsters now the story is “ooh why’s this orc want retribution for centuries old crimes?” As if this isn’t the same Callan that made pacts with Satan(s) to genocide the orcs a little over 200 years ago.

It's just like the space elves. Mookie just continuously sets up this scenario where an oppresed or colonized people have to be 100% forgiving and peaceful, or be branded as "just as bad" or "the real racists", which seems to be the idea he's dancing around here. There's never any lingering mistrust or resentment, there's just total peaceful happy orc or angry genocidal supremacists. Apparently you aren't allowed to be an orc and not gung ho on whatever a "botanical base" is being on territory Callan literally poisoned so that nothing would grow on it.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
For good people, justice and forgiveness are a process that both begin, but do not end, with the cessation of wrongdoing. For the liberal centrist, the cessation of wrongdoing is the sum-total of justice and all that is necessary for forgiveness. If Callan is not, at this moment, oppressing the Orcs then it is utterly unreasonable for the Orcs to hold them accountable for any and all prior crimes.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Have we stopped doing the re-read of the original DD, or has my brain just tried to protect me from remembering it being posted?

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

No, blessedly it's still going on, but it takes TLD some time to put together those posts. Looking forward to the next one.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Mookie introduced sapient plants because he has transitioned to breathatarianism.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Lmao I may be misremembering, but isn't "sentient plant people who suddenly appeared after a huge, magical reckoning" straight out of Guild Wars 2?

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Posting the bingo card again:

We've got like, what, 3 bingos minimum? And to think it took Mookie two years to get anywhere with filling this up.

TheHan posted:

200 years isn't even ancient history! There's no way the orcs would forget that the Callanians were genocidal racists within that span of time, and it's absurd to paint them in the wrong for wanting Callan to pay for its crimes. Did Callan even do anything to make up for the crimes they did against the orcs in DD, or did they just do a perfunctory 'sorry, we did bad' about it?

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

For good people, justice and forgiveness are a process that both begin, but do not end, with the cessation of wrongdoing. For the liberal centrist, the cessation of wrongdoing is the sum-total of justice and all that is necessary for forgiveness. If Callan is not, at this moment, oppressing the Orcs then it is utterly unreasonable for the Orcs to hold them accountable for any and all prior crimes.

It really is the ultimate white man's outlook on justice. lovely Person X already posted an apology for hurting others, so how could all these people still be so mean to him? :(

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

amigolupus posted:

It really is the ultimate white man's outlook on justice. lovely Person X already posted an apology for hurting others, so how could all these people still be so mean to him? :(

It reminds me less of white people or liberalism and more evangelical Christianity. Repentance is everything, there's no need to make amends because forgiveness is God's purview. Bob is repenting for his sin of molesting all those boys on the track team, they and their families should forgive them already.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
"Character suddenly becomes a racist" should have a question mark and "obvious Mookie self-insert" should be circled.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I mean, if we're going there, we're up to here:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
Who is the nameless best character? Ship? The Blood Horror? The Skori Tree? Potion Vendor? Redactor?

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

maltesh posted:

Who is the nameless best character? Ship? The Blood Horror? The Skori Tree? Potion Vendor? Redactor?

Anyone but Arudak, punchman, and Snout could qualify.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

amigolupus posted:

200 years isn't even ancient history! There's no way the orcs would forget that the Callanians were genocidal racists within that span of time, and it's absurd to paint them in the wrong for wanting Callan to pay for its crimes. Did Callan even do anything to make up for the crimes they did against the orcs in DD, or did they just do a perfunctory 'sorry, we did bad' about it?

If we're just going by what was shown in the original series, mere days after Maltak's rebirth Callan was prepping to get back in there and do some more genocide. The only thing stopping them was that every nation said not to. But shiiiit, I'm sure after Dominic & friends violently deposed the king before going home and doing nothing about the deep-seated issues in Callanian government and culture that power vacuum was filled by a super nice guy who used Callan's military for good.