Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

KKKLIP ART posted:

Is there an easy way to transfer all my pictures from Google Photos to iCloud? I have both a Mac and PC. I tried downloading all my Google Photos data, but I can't upload folders through the iCloud website and google makes everything into folders and subfolders, and I don't want to go through 16 years of folders that google created if possible.

Is there a reason you're using the iCloud web interface instead of the macOS Photos app?

Photos app:
File -> Import -> Pick your top-level Google Takeout folder(s)
Check "Keep Folder Organization"
Whack "Import All Photos"
Done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Molten Llama posted:

Is there a reason you're using the iCloud web interface instead of the macOS Photos app?

Photos app:
File -> Import -> Pick your top-level Google Takeout folder(s)
Check "Keep Folder Organization"
Whack "Import All Photos"
Done

It was just a guide I saw. They are stored on my NAS because I don’t want them taking up space on my MacBook and really don’t want an extra local copy on my laptop at all if possible. If I do it that way, can I just point it to my folder on my NAS and call it good?

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

KKKLIP ART posted:

It was just a guide I saw. They are stored on my NAS because I don’t want them taking up space on my MacBook and really don’t want an extra local copy on my laptop at all if possible. If I do it that way, can I just point it to my folder on my NAS and call it good?

The way I did it was to just move the photo library file to my NAS and ensure it was default. It’s not the most elegant solution but it works.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

the corona quid posted:

The way I did it was to just move the photo library file to my NAS and ensure it was default. It’s not the most elegant solution but it works.

Google tells me that it can lead to some wonky behavior, but I'll give it a try. Really I just want these photos backed up so in the event my NAS bites it I have a backup. Honestly if it just worked like dumb storage and I could say hey upload this junk without keeping a local copy it would be great. I also have a XPS13 that I use that stays plugged in via ethernet all the time, so I don't know if there is something easier using the iCloud ecosystem that I could point that to to upload the photos.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

KKKLIP ART posted:

Google tells me that it can lead to some wonky behavior, but I'll give it a try. Really I just want these photos backed up so in the event my NAS bites it I have a backup. Honestly if it just worked like dumb storage and I could say hey upload this junk without keeping a local copy it would be great. I also have a XPS13 that I use that stays plugged in via ethernet all the time, so I don't know if there is something easier using the iCloud ecosystem that I could point that to to upload the photos.

Why not just do a biweekly backup to Backblaze or S3 or something? Your QNAP must have support for that. This way at least you've got an old version just in case something goes wrong with the current iCloud stuff.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

KKKLIP ART posted:

Yeah it’s not perfect. Fwiw I’ve pushed pretty much everything to my NAS (music library, downloads, etc) and I’ve set it up to open the NAS folder at start up and that fixed 99% of the times MacOS would try to bounce back to the macbook’s SSD.

Photos in general is weird, I find it tries to back up any photo sent to me over WhatsApp every time I import new photos even if it’s already imported so I had like two year old photos with 5 different copies.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
OK, I cannot figure this out. Notifications for Mail pop up in the corner like anything else, but they don't vanish after a few seconds like everything else. I have to manually go up and clear them. This is the only program that does this, can't find any setting that controls this obnoxious behavior?

edit: disregard. Banners stick around. Alerts slide away after a moment. Duh.

AlternateAccount fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Mar 28, 2021

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I highly doubt this exists, but if it did that'd be awesome. Is there anyway to automatically make certain texts deleted after a certain amount of time? I ask because I have to use MFA several times a day, where I get a six digit code by text, so every single time I have to go in and delete them right after. It'd be so cool if there was something that could filter these out and just remove them automatically after like 30 seconds.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
I have a random weather item on my menubar - how can I find out what its source app is? All it shows is "powered by the Weather Company" in one submenu.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

actionjackson posted:

I highly doubt this exists, but if it did that'd be awesome. Is there anyway to automatically make certain texts deleted after a certain amount of time? I ask because I have to use MFA several times a day, where I get a six digit code by text, so every single time I have to go in and delete them right after. It'd be so cool if there was something that could filter these out and just remove them automatically after like 30 seconds.

Apple devs probably don't want to touch this with a ten foot pole. Can you imagine the user fuckups they'd be blamed for?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

actionjackson posted:

The answer is to move to an MFA app or OTP codes if possible - SMS MFA is almost worthless as far as security is concerned.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

beefnoodle posted:

I have a random weather item on my menubar - how can I find out what its source app is? All it shows is "powered by the Weather Company" in one submenu.

That’s iStat Menus, it’s a very distinctive widget.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

The answer is to move to an MFA app or OTP codes if possible - SMS MFA is almost worthless as far as security is concerned.

yeah, unfortunately I can't really do much about it. I have another MFA system where I use the Duo Mobile app which is definitely easier

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

actionjackson posted:

Why do you have to delete the codes?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

tuyop posted:

Why do you have to delete the codes?

you don't have to, but if you don't they just pile up because every single one is considered a separate "message"

I usually have 3-5 of these every workday

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

actionjackson posted:

you don't have to, but if you don't they just pile up because every single one is considered a separate "message"

I usually have 3-5 of these every workday
Do you just have one single giant window that all your texts from everyone who ever contacts you flow in to? I don't understand why this is a problem.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

DigitalRaven posted:

That’s iStat Menus, it’s a very distinctive widget.

Thank you!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

nexxai posted:

Do you just have one single giant window that all your texts from everyone who ever contacts you flow in to? I don't understand why this is a problem.

this is just in the default messages app, which I use on the iphone and on my mac. My other messages are conversations with actual people, so they are never deleted, unless it's a one-off from someone I don't know like a craigslist sale. But these always have to be deleted, or else they will just keep piling up. It's not a big deal, but a way that could be deleted automatically would be pretty cool!

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

actionjackson posted:

this is just in the default messages app, which I use on the iphone and on my mac. My other messages are conversations with actual people, so they are never deleted, unless it's a one-off from someone I don't know like a craigslist sale. But these always have to be deleted, or else they will just keep piling up. It's not a big deal, but a way that could be deleted automatically would be pretty cool!

You might be out of luck. You can change it so that all messages delete after 30 days, but I don't see anything for just one number or anything like that. You can Control-click on the conversation(s?) in Messages and delete it from there, but nothing that will do it automatically that I can find.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

nitsuga posted:

You might be out of luck. You can change it so that all messages delete after 30 days, but I don't see anything for just one number or anything like that. You can Control-click on the conversation(s?) in Messages and delete it from there, but nothing that will do it automatically that I can find.

ok no big deal, thanks for looking into it!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

WWDC 2021 is coming, folks!

June 7th to June 11th, and it's online only, the same as it was last year..

What are the 21 events that Apple wants to tell us about? (hint: check the reflection on those glasses)

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

So, console, X-Code and app grouping? :cheeky:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

What are the 21 events that Apple wants to tell us about? (hint: check the reflection on those glasses)

Can you give us another hint at what you're divining? All i see is the calendar app with the date of the keynote, and like Tippis said xcode, terminal, and app library. ... Wait App library on iPadOS ?!?!?!?

ArcticZombie
Sep 15, 2010

Last Chance posted:

Can you give us another hint at what you're divining? All i see is the calendar app with the date of the keynote, and like Tippis said xcode, terminal, and app library. ... Wait App library on iPadOS ?!?!?!?

The notification badge on the calendar.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

We're gonna get a new Xcode anyway (the fabled iOS Xcode?) and I dunno what they can add to Terminal but we know now they'll announce iOS 15 and macOS 12..

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Could the Terminal icon be related to developers using the terminal so much that it's in their dock?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

ArcticZombie posted:

The notification badge on the calendar.

Oh snap, could it mean that there are 21 developer sessions on the calendar? oh poo poo...

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
It’s the year.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

:pusheen:

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

actionjackson posted:

But these always have to be deleted, or else they will just keep piling up.
Ok and maybe I'm stuck on the wording, but you keep saying they have to be deleted; I don't get why they have to be deleted? Like is this company policy? Or is this simply a cleanliness thing?

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Tippis posted:

So, console, X-Code and app grouping? :cheeky:
The email I got has a guy instead of a girl, but it's the same icons reflecting off his glasses. He does seem to be wearing a hearing aid, though, dunno if that's a clue or just a random detail.

Also the tagline is 'Glow and Behold'

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

nexxai posted:

Ok and maybe I'm stuck on the wording, but you keep saying they have to be deleted; I don't get why they have to be deleted? Like is this company policy? Or is this simply a cleanliness thing?

It reads like they just don't want a bunch of 2FA texts all over the message list in the Messages app. Doesn't sound unreasonable, but also likely something that can't be automated.

Fleedar
Aug 29, 2002
RARRUGHH!!
Lipstick Apathy
I have a 16GB M1 MBA and I’m struggling with horrible, show stopping performance issues and bugs in the Photos app. Long start up times, jerky scrolling through the library, iCloud sync issues, crashes, extremely slow imports and exports, you name it. My photo library is on an external spinning disk that otherwise doesn’t have any issues, and it consists of about 100,000 photos and videos. Before I start heading down the lengthy troubleshooting rabbit hole, has anyone else had similar issues on Big Sur or their M1?

Violator
May 15, 2003

Fleedar posted:

I have a 16GB M1 MBA and I’m struggling with horrible, show stopping performance issues and bugs in the Photos app. Long start up times, jerky scrolling through the library, iCloud sync issues, crashes, extremely slow imports and exports, you name it. My photo library is on an external spinning disk that otherwise doesn’t have any issues, and it consists of about 100,000 photos and videos. Before I start heading down the lengthy troubleshooting rabbit hole, has anyone else had similar issues on Big Sur or their M1?

Was it working fine on a previous computer?

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Fleedar posted:

External drive is the issue friendo. Mine is on my NAS and even over Ethernet it's a bit of a struggle.

Fleedar
Aug 29, 2002
RARRUGHH!!
Lipstick Apathy

Violator posted:

Was it working fine on a previous computer?

This is my first time using Photos in a serious way so I have no point of reference there.

the corona quid posted:

External drive is the issue friendo. Mine is on my NAS and even over Ethernet it's a bit of a struggle.

I was worried this might be the case. I figured it would be rough but it still seems excessively bad. I timed it with a stopwatch, and starting the app after rebooting shows a spinner for 5 minutes and 34 seconds before my library pops up. I just exported 4 screenshots totaling 8MB and it took 70 seconds.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

You can get external SSDs fairly cheap these days, I have a WD one that I use to boot my OS and even over USB3 it’s really fast, I’d imagine over USBC/ thunderbolt it’s even better.

Fleedar
Aug 29, 2002
RARRUGHH!!
Lipstick Apathy
I definitely plan to get one eventually, but my photo library is over 1TB so the options are still a bit too expensive for me.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
As a Mac user who's not an iOS user, what's the best way to make sure that nobody ever accidentally messages me on iMessage thinking they're texting me? Is there a way to completely disable iMessage on my Apple ID? What's going on or how to switch to the cell number is not exactly clear to the average user, especially older users, so I want to make sure I never have any mix-ups again. The one person it kept happening with, we just switched to WhatsApp because he couldn't grasp how to deal with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I don’t think I’ve ever had someone start an iMessage conversation that didn’t involve them sending it to my cell number, you’d think most people would just email if they saw the @icloud address. Interesting issue for sure. Until you find an answer (if one exists) it’s probably worth keeping iMessage in your dock so you can see a notification bubble if anyone else ever does this.