Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Mister Speaker posted:

So I'm rewatching this series and realized that last time I either accidentally skipped over most of season 3 or was completely wasted and don't remember it at all. Prax's story arc and "he's my best friend in the whole world" got me right in the feels. The only thing that bothers me about this season is how casually everyone seems to be handling the protomolecule developments, like unequivocal proof of a superior alien intelligence is right there and everybody's pretty cool about it. Holden floats down into a literal alien superstructure and he's not like "HOLY loving poo poo" the entire time. GSgt Draper and her Martian marines act predictably aggressive, a bit disappointing since she's seen what the protomolecule can do, and one of her marines gets hilariously murked by it, well deserved. Maybe the only appropriate response to any of the wack protomolecule poo poo was when Amos cursed in front of the children.

There was one dude that asked the reverend lady for counsel and then ate a bullet when she brushed him off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

Mister Speaker posted:

like unequivocal proof of a superior alien intelligence is right there and everybody's pretty cool about it. Holden floats down into a literal alien superstructure and he's not like "HOLY loving poo poo" the entire time.

...but the seats don't recline a lot, and the Wifi is slow!:ck5:

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

This isn't anything. When you catapult around a planet, its gravity accelerates every part of the ship the same way, so he wouldn't be thrown into his seat like that if it was only a gravity assist.

But wouldn't the thrust from the drive kicking on to break him out of orbit on the other side push him into his seat? Not to mention the opposing g force of the planet pulling him back. My only knowledge of this stuff comes from popular culture so I may be totally off base on this.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

The Walrus posted:

But wouldn't the thrust from the drive kicking on to break him out of orbit on the other side push him into his seat? Not to mention the opposing g force of the planet pulling him back. My only knowledge of this stuff comes from popular culture so I may be totally off base on this.

If it is only a gravity assist, then no. Aside from weird situations like being right next to a black hole, the gravity of the planet pulls on the ship and him with the same strength. They are in free fall together and will move together. If he is already on an escape trajectory, then there is no burn needed. If he is burning at the periapsis to take advantage of the oberth effect to change his orbit, then that will definitely throw him back in his seat, which I think is what's happening.

I think the big confusion is what exactly the slingshot racing is. It sounds like it is just people setting up a trajectory and doing it, but maybe they are also doing burns at strategic places to change their orbits to get a better time.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

If it is only a gravity assist, then no. Aside from weird situations like being right next to a black hole, the gravity of the planet pulls on the ship and him with the same strength. They are in free fall together and will move together. If he is already on an escape trajectory, then there is no burn needed. If he is burning at the periapsis to take advantage of the oberth effect to change his orbit, then that will definitely throw him back in his seat, which I think is what's happening.

I think the big confusion is what exactly the slingshot racing is. It sounds like it is just people setting up a trajectory and doing it, but maybe they are also doing burns at strategic places to change their orbits to get a better time.

I always imagine there would be different "classes" of slingshot racing. Similar to the way video game speed runs are structured (Any%, tool-assisted, not tool-assisted, no damage, etc.). So you'd have like slingshot runs where you only burn once at the start, ones with specific mid-run burns, and so on.

However, the thing I don't understand so much is all the excitement in the room we see - these kinds of slingshot runs would probably take weeks if not months. Hard to get that excited over something 1000x slower than baseball.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Perhaps it's the equivalent of throwing a party to watch the bottom of the 9th inning.

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

Gully Foyle posted:

However, the thing I don't understand so much is all the excitement in the room we see - these kinds of slingshot runs would probably take weeks if not months. Hard to get that excited over something 1000x slower than baseball.
First, you can bet on it. Betting makes almost anything more exciting. Most of those people are excited about winning or losing cash. It also relies on skills that are pretty uniquely Belter, so that probably means there's an element of cultural identity wrapped up in the sport too.

But more than that, I think it's meant to show us just how bleak life is for Belters. Like, this is their recreation. Not only do they have to wait weeks for a celebrity slingshotter to do anything worth watching, but it's bloodsport stakes without even giving the audience any combat or violence, and they're all very fatalistic about it.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Presumably you tune into the races at the points where racers are about to do their approaches. So you have one race that's a whole 'season' lasting months and every week or two the competitors start passing a gravity well and you grab a few beers and watch them try and make their orbital approach.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Yeah everyone watched the Perseverance landing but nobody was watching it coast for months.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
It's basically just competitive speedruns.

That's a bunch of people betting on GDQ

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
And there are people who will watch full 7 hour game runs because someone found a new trick that cuts 10 seconds off some section.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Cojawfee posted:

And there are people who will watch full 7 hour game runs because someone found a new trick that cuts 10 seconds off some section.

I've watched way too many factorio speed runs to throw shade at the crowd

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I do like how The Expanse is one of the few sci fi shows that actually has some kind of contemporary culture going on. Star Trek always has everyone being into things from centuries before, there's little innovation in entertainment content, just how it was delivered. For entertainment kids do math.

The Expanse still has mass media for news and entertainment.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

twistedmentat posted:

I do like how The Expanse is one of the few sci fi shows that actually has some kind of contemporary culture going on. Star Trek always has everyone being into things from centuries before, there's little innovation in entertainment content, just how it was delivered. For entertainment kids do math.

Well yeah, every time somebody innovates in media in Star Trek, all the holographic slaves go on strike, you can't have that, it spills the root beer!

and that's how you get ants

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

I loved how that one Episode had "Space Tinder"

I'm sure Julie Mao got lots of Swipes due to having photos her doing space kung fu and flying
her space hotrod ship

about me:
Former heiress now devoted to waging war and revolution against corrupt inners.
Training in Space Kung Fu 3 to 5 times each week

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Miller wanted her to be his kickboxing girlfriend.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Kesper North posted:

Miller wanted her to be his kickboxing girlfriend.

And maybe within the protomolecule he succeeded

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

etalian posted:

This is the sort of thing I really liked about this show. The world felt real because there was a world outside of the characters. I mean, I love me my Star Wars and Star Trek, but unless you're a space wizard or a Shakespeare loving engineer, you don't exist, and those people are in their space wizard/engineer bubbles. The people in the Expanse function in societies with cultures and things going on day to day alongside the Big Huge Story that the main characters are engaged in. Star Wars/Trek only feels like there's an outside world when it must be directly observed and only enough to have an understanding how it effects the main characters.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Amos Burton

Amos Hurtin'

Amos Assertin'

Amos Uncertain

Amos Squirtin'

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlM3CKXJs5k

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

I finally saw Tenet yesterday and was excited to see Amos was in it

as an extra, for about five seconds

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mister Speaker posted:

Amos Burton

Amos Hurtin'

Amos Assertin'

Amos Uncertain

Amos Squirtin'

Amos is definitely the best part of this show.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Kesper North posted:

Well yeah, every time somebody innovates in media in Star Trek, all the holographic slaves go on strike, you can't have that, it spills the root beer!

and that's how you get ants

Check your local listings for this week's episode: "The Foibles with Formics"

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

etalian posted:

I'm sure Julie Mao got lots of Swipes due to having photos her doing space kung fu and flying
her space hotrod ship

about me:
Former heiress now devoted to waging war and revolution against corrupt inners.
Training in Space Kung Fu 3 to 5 times each week

Sexuality was listed as Pansexual I remember.

Also Miller talking about the educational cartoon he remembered as a kid to not touch the air filters.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Sash! posted:

This is the sort of thing I really liked about this show. The world felt real because there was a world outside of the characters. I mean, I love me my Star Wars and Star Trek, but unless you're a space wizard or a Shakespeare loving engineer, you don't exist, and those people are in their space wizard/engineer bubbles. The people in the Expanse function in societies with cultures and things going on day to day alongside the Big Huge Story that the main characters are engaged in. Star Wars/Trek only feels like there's an outside world when it must be directly observed and only enough to have an understanding how it effects the main characters.

I was re-watching Alien and The Expanse has a similar feel to being Blue Collar / Hour Workers / "Has Beens" in Space while shows like Star Trek all feature commissioned officers who already got it made.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Star Trek DS9 is different because everyone clearly uses the holosuite to have orgies or go on viking raids or gambling at Quark's.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

etalian posted:

space kung fu

Wasn’t it just jiu jitsu? Tbh I’d love to watch zero g jiu jitsu that sounds fuckin sick

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Phobeste posted:

Wasn’t it just jiu jitsu? Tbh I’d love to watch zero g jiu jitsu that sounds fuckin sick

It was specifically low/null G jiu jitsu.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

In the grim dark future there's no escape from dating apps

Canadian Bakin
Nov 6, 2011

Retaliate first.

Mister Speaker posted:

So I'm rewatching this series and realized that last time I either accidentally skipped over most of season 3 or was completely wasted and don't remember it at all. Prax's story arc and "he's my best friend in the whole world" got me right in the feels. The only thing that bothers me about this season is how casually everyone seems to be handling the protomolecule developments, like unequivocal proof of a superior alien intelligence is right there and everybody's pretty cool about it. Holden floats down into a literal alien superstructure and he's not like "HOLY loving poo poo" the entire time. GSgt Draper and her Martian marines act predictably aggressive, a bit disappointing since she's seen what the protomolecule can do, and one of her marines gets hilariously murked by it, well deserved. Maybe the only appropriate response to any of the wack protomolecule poo poo was when Amos cursed in front of the children.

In Holden's defense, he's spent the last couple/few episodes dealing with ProtoMiller's brain fuckery, being blamed for an act of terrorism, and three different factions trying to shoot down his house. I imagine by that point he's a bit Over All This poo poo and he just wants a stiff drink, a hug(I bet Amos gives good hugs), and a solid 8 hours of sleep.

For everyone else it seems to be a mix of having the mindset of "Someone who gets paid more than me can worry about the implications. I'm just here to do my job", trying to put on a stoic face so that nobody else can tell they're losing their poo poo, and sheer geeking out over "Aliens!". Though as Mu Zeta pointed out, at least one person can't cope with the information and when no one takes him seriously, he takes his own life.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

etalian posted:

In the grim dark future there's no escape from dating apps

Ewww... who would date a vegan tho?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

People from Vega, gosh

Jows
May 8, 2002

twistedmentat posted:

Sexuality was listed as Pansexual I remember.

Also Miller talking about the educational cartoon he remembered as a kid to not touch the air filters.

Prax's kid's backpack was some licensed cartoon garbage.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
oops wrong thread,

Amos is my fav though

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Mar 30, 2021

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Canadian Bakin posted:

In Holden's defense, he's spent the last couple/few episodes dealing with ProtoMiller's brain fuckery, being blamed for an act of terrorism, and three different factions trying to shoot down his house. I imagine by that point he's a bit Over All This poo poo and he just wants a stiff drink, a hug(I bet Amos gives good hugs), and a solid 8 hours of sleep.

For everyone else it seems to be a mix of having the mindset of "Someone who gets paid more than me can worry about the implications. I'm just here to do my job", trying to put on a stoic face so that nobody else can tell they're losing their poo poo, and sheer geeking out over "Aliens!". Though as Mu Zeta pointed out, at least one person can't cope with the information and when no one takes him seriously, he takes his own life.

Yes, I read Holden in that scene as being firmly in the "is this experience loving over yet" mode. For all he knows Head Miller means he's gone completely insane and he's hallucinating an alien space station on the road to a quick death. He believes otherwise, but he's been wrong before.

Although the other option is "quietly furious." He clearly suspects that ProtoMiller isn't Miller and that the Protomolecule, which he hasn't exactly had a sunny and pleasant history with prior to this point, is faking Miller to manipulate him. It's arguable that his forcing the Protomolecule to prove Miller is Miller sets up for what happens in S4. Either way, Holden is in "this place is going to try to loving kill me at any moment" mode, not "my God, it's full of stars!" mode.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

lol, "medical history available pay 2 unlock"

DO SHE GOT THE SPACE HERPES?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Jows posted:

Exactly what kids these days have. I see a lot of Spider-Man and Frozen backpacks around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Jows posted: