Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
My home resort ended the season on Saturday but I bought some 6 packs of 2 hour lift tickets for around $100 for Big Snow so I'll be riding through the summer and fall indoors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I drive a BBW posted:

I was thinking of skiing A basin for a few days the during the week of the 12th in April. Never been there but with that being basically a week after a lot of resorts closing for the season I’m concerned about how big the crowd will be. It would be during the week but with restrictions lifting around the country I’m a bit concerned.

There will be no lines at all unless we get a big snow. They will have plenty of snow. The stuff I just posted is 5 miles away at the same elevation. Should be a blast.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Where was this?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Eejit posted:

Where was this?

Coon Hill (I mean really, where else do I ski? 11 of said 30 days. The GF gets sick of going there but I love it. 12 min drive and super fun terrain with no approach and few people usually)

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

spwrozek posted:

Coon Hill (I mean really, where else do I ski? 11 of said 30 days. The GF gets sick of going there but I love it. 12 min drive and super fun terrain with no approach and few people usually)

I figured but like it just looks so fun. Same way my partner and I tend to just constantly hit Huntsman, it's terrain that just keeps on giving

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe

spwrozek posted:

There will be no lines at all unless we get a big snow. They will have plenty of snow. The stuff I just posted is 5 miles away at the same elevation. Should be a blast.

Nice! We're still on the fence since my wife and kid want to go. Wife and I are vaccinated but I just don't like being around big groups of people and tbh my kid needs another half day or so of lessons before I'd feel comfortable to let him and my wife go off on their own.

JagerNinja
Sep 13, 2011

Steely-eyed Missile of a Man

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Snowboard rule to always keep in mind - a snowboard naturally wants to stay on its edge. If you don't keep track of your edging, or you get absent minded for a moment, your downhill edge is likely to catch because the board wants to stay on an edge and without positive input from you it's gonna get onto an edge all on its own.

So, attack the turns as mentioned above, and moreover just always keep the board on one edge or the other so that you say in charge of the boards behavior.

Apparently we all went snowboarding for the first time this weekend. This is great stuff, though, and makes a lot of sense. For my part, I went out snowboarding and did alright on the first day (I went from beginner to linking turns, so not bad), but was so beat up that I could barely maintain control on day 2. I ended up switching to skiing, which I find way easier.

I could never really explain why skiing is easier to me, but as I was going down the mountain I realized that I don't need to think when I ski, whereas snowboarding is a constant internal narration of each move: flatten the front foot, keep the back foot on edge; build momentum, now switch to the other edge; repeat. I have no idea if this is just the case for me or if everyone goes through this phase, but man, I got pretty intimate with the snow.

Anyway, I had a great time and will probably be sore for the next couple days. Park City is pretty rad and I'd like to go again someday. Obligatory mountain pics:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Park City might be my favorite mountain. They took 2 very good mountains and the connected them and added a bunch of good terrain in the process.

One of my favorite things is to ski all the way from Super Condor in the the morning and end the day at the base of the town lift. One of these days, I gotta jump over to Deer Valley and do the entire town in a day

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I think for most people snowboarding has a steeper initial learning curve. I also think how natural skiing or snowboarding feel depend a lot on your background. I came from board sports as a kid so I skateboarded and surfed before I ever snowboarded and snowboarding felt pretty natural to me. I find that people who come from ice skating such as hockey players tend to pick up skiing faster than average.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Eejit posted:

Two seasons and they're great. Definitely light weight, but a good compromise on weight and performance. The range of motion and comfort are very good. The locking mechanism is well designed too.

Mine required two rounds of heat molding the liner and a few punches, but I also have kind of weird feet. Now they are perfect and I have used them for a bunch of different tours and I wholeheartedly recommend them.

Even have done two or three days in the resort and they hold their own. Obviously not like my RX 130s, but they're solid boots for both up and down.

Excellent, thanks. I has a little free time this morning and went to a couple of outdoor stores to check them out. One other store had the TLT8 Carbonio boots (crap name) so I wanted to try them on as well, and see what else is around.

I tried the Hoji Pros and the non-carbon TLT8 Expedition side by side in one place. TLT8s were somewhat lighter and better flex in walk mode but I really liked the solidity of the Hojis in ski mode.

I then went to try the carbon TLTs and they fit like a totally different boot, my foot was just swimming around in them. The guy in that shop was also trying to sell me some Scarpa F1s in a size smaller than I usually take that just felt too small.

So I got the Hojis at a weight cost of 300g per foot. I think probably the right call.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Skiing is much more natural starting out. You can basically put anyone, from a 3 year old to an older adult on skis and it's sort of natural to be able to at least stand up and slowly maneuver them around. Like was said above if you have ever ice skated, skiing is really easy to get started with (at a beginner level that is).

Unless you come from a boardsport background, snowboarding is a lot harder to get into as the body movements all feel foreign. That eventually switches once you get to intermediate level and snowboarding becomes the easier of the two and then it's a lot easier to get good on a board imo but you have to get over the initial hump.

The internal monologue definitely becomes second nature, I don't think about edging anymore as it's become automatic.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

knox_harrington posted:

Excellent, thanks. I has a little free time this morning and went to a couple of outdoor stores to check them out. One other store had the TLT8 Carbonio boots (crap name) so I wanted to try them on as well, and see what else is around.

I tried the Hoji Pros and the non-carbon TLT8 Expedition side by side in one place. TLT8s were somewhat lighter and better flex in walk mode but I really liked the solidity of the Hojis in ski mode.

I then went to try the carbon TLTs and they fit like a totally different boot, my foot was just swimming around in them. The guy in that shop was also trying to sell me some Scarpa F1s in a size smaller than I usually take that just felt too small.

So I got the Hojis at a weight cost of 300g per foot. I think probably the right call.

The TLT8s are very very uphill oriented. They are super pleasant to wear and walk in, but they are not very fun coming downhill. Seems like you made the correct call.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
On Saturday I did one of my favorite hikes at the bird (the temptation ridge/gad ii touring gate boot pack) a few times, and when I got to the top there was a crew of dudes sessioning the top bit of the temptation chutes. Someone said 'he's gonna backflip those trees' so I pulled my phone out and here's the result:

https://youtube.com/shorts/yWd5U99hZA8

Also, here's a quick shot from exactly one year ago, when everything shut down and I had to tour exclusively. But man what a spring full of touring it was

https://youtu.be/CW3TCJk9IJU

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Mar 29, 2021

Moogs
Jan 25, 2004

Proceeds the Weedian... Nazareth

The Glumslinger posted:

Park City might be my favorite mountain. They took 2 very good mountains and the connected them and added a bunch of good terrain in the process.

First time at Park City today, any tips? Staying on the Canyons side because it looked like it was closer to the fun stuff. It's pretty much impossible to get from one side to the other with time to do anything there, right?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Moogs posted:

First time at Park City today, any tips? Staying on the Canyons side because it looked like it was closer to the fun stuff. It's pretty much impossible to get from one side to the other with time to do anything there, right?

What level skier are you? If you're an intermediate skier, id recommend dropping down to Tombstone after you are warmed up, then taking some laps on that and then taking the connector lift over to Iron Mountain, which has tons of good blues/easy blacks. From there you can drop over to Dreamscape/catcher and work that for a while or go to the gondola to the Park City side.

When they added the connector lift from Tombstone to Iron Mountain, they made the traverse across way faster

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Moogs posted:

If conditions and your skills allow, Straight to Ninety Nine-90 Express.

It is pretty hard to start in canyons and go ride PC imo.

Super Condor is also fun.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

JagerNinja posted:

Apparently we all went snowboarding for the first time this weekend. This is great stuff, though, and makes a lot of sense. For my part, I went out snowboarding and did alright on the first day (I went from beginner to linking turns, so not bad), but was so beat up that I could barely maintain control on day 2. I ended up switching to skiing, which I find way easier.

I could never really explain why skiing is easier to me, but as I was going down the mountain I realized that I don't need to think when I ski, whereas snowboarding is a constant internal narration of each move: flatten the front foot, keep the back foot on edge; build momentum, now switch to the other edge; repeat. I have no idea if this is just the case for me or if everyone goes through this phase, but man, I got pretty intimate with the snow.

Anyway, I had a great time and will probably be sore for the next couple days. Park City is pretty rad and I'd like to go again someday. Obligatory mountain pics:

Park City has been one of the funniest trips I have taken. I went in December though, and only about 25% of the mountain was open. Regardless, I loved it so much I am going again. My family wants to do a Wi get vacation, and we did Whistler last time, so this upcoming December we are going to hit Park City. Did you go up the McConkey lift? That might have been my favorite, at least for the view, but I only ever took the one blue run down. Except for once when I took the tycoon run down and that took me like 30 minutes.

casque
Mar 17, 2009

knox_harrington posted:

Late to the game but also 2 seasons on Hoji's and love them. They ski better than any touring boot I've used before and tour as well.

Scarpa shells go up with the half size for shells, 27.5 and 28 share a shell, rather than the more common 28 and 28.5 sharing a shell, so the Scarpa may not as been as far off as you think.

JagerNinja
Sep 13, 2011

Steely-eyed Missile of a Man

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Park City has been one of the funniest trips I have taken. I went in December though, and only about 25% of the mountain was open. Regardless, I loved it so much I am going again. My family wants to do a Wi get vacation, and we did Whistler last time, so this upcoming December we are going to hit Park City. Did you go up the McConkey lift? That might have been my favorite, at least for the view, but I only ever took the one blue run down. Except for once when I took the tycoon run down and that took me like 30 minutes.

Nah, I didn't venture up that high. I haven't skiied in... probably 3 years? And my last trip was a visit to Breck where I got brutal altitude sickness after the first day, so it's really been even longer. I hung out around the Payday lift to get my feet back under me.

But man, the mountain is HUGE, and it has a pretty good mix of terrain. We barely scratched the surface. I'm looking forward to seeing more of it someday. My commitment after this COVID mess: no more putting it off, I have to go skiing every year or I'm just going to regret it later.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Whistler has closed for three weeks because of a surge in corona cases.

Which essentially means the season. I doubt they're re-opening even if they're allowed to. Welp.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

JagerNinja posted:

Nah, I didn't venture up that high. I haven't skiied in... probably 3 years? And my last trip was a visit to Breck where I got brutal altitude sickness after the first day, so it's really been even longer. I hung out around the Payday lift to get my feet back under me.

But man, the mountain is HUGE, and it has a pretty good mix of terrain. We barely scratched the surface. I'm looking forward to seeing more of it someday. My commitment after this COVID mess: no more putting it off, I have to go skiing every year or I'm just going to regret it later.

One of the things I love about PCMR is how much terrain there is and how many different runs there are just from one lift. Payday has a lot of fun stuff around it. If you were able to do most of the payday stuff McConkey's lift, while being almost exclusively double black diamond, has the blue Georgianna run, that I absolutely love. It is definitely doable if you have the skills to navigate the stuff off payday, and since the lift serves mostly double black diamond runs the crowding is really minimal at best. I tried to go down to Thaynes once and even the blues were like moguls the entire way and it totally kicked my rear end. I am really looking forward to going back to PCMR for next season!

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

HookShot posted:

Whistler has closed for three weeks because of a surge in corona cases.

Which essentially means the season. I doubt they're re-opening even if they're allowed to. Welp.

Being responsible is for suckers. It's an outdoor sport, there's like basically 100% risk!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Eejit posted:

Being responsible is for suckers. It's an outdoor sport, there's like basically 100% risk!

Yeah, problem was "durrr we can't go to Whistler and just hang out on the mountain all day, we have to then go drinking in the bars, and have dinner, and do a bit of shopping, or it's not a real ski day"

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

HookShot posted:

Yeah, problem was "durrr we can't go to Whistler and just hang out on the mountain all day, we have to then go drinking in the bars, and have dinner, and do a bit of shopping, or it's not a real ski day"

(this is pre covid) So there I was in Whistler. I had a lovely day on the mountain. It seemed like I couldn't get my feet under me right and my skiing was terrible. It was stormy, windy, the groom was covered in crust. I was barely able to eek out a vertical mile when I was there. I was frustrated and tired and upset. I was coming down the stairs and just missed the bus, so I decided to walk back to the condo. That was a mistake. I got so tired and worn out on that walk, and increasingly more frustrated. I finally got back and was able to change into real shoes and was able to walk around. I did a quick search online to find dinner and I was amazed! I had found my favorite, Mongolian BBQ. I took my sister out to dinner and was so excited to have my favorite. We showed up there and were at the start of the line, where they have the different bowls you can grab. I said "Now, Sis, these places are all about cramming as much poo poo as possible into the fixed price bowls. So grab a bowl and just cram everything you want into it. I am serious, just smoosh that poo poo down and fill 'er up". Well, we got to the end and to my loving horror they took the bowls and put them on a scale. This place was not charging by bowl size, but by weight, a complete 180 from my previous Mongolian BBQ experiences. Turns out that my advice was incredibly bad, and we paid close to $120 for two huge loving servings of Mongolian BBQ.

That being said, I still want to go back to Whistler when the weather is better.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I had some folks staying in the cliff lodge at the bird ask me where the best place for a burger and a beer was. I started telling them the normal spots in Slc, and then realized nope they meant the best place for a burger up the canyon. I was like 'there aren't too many options up the canyon...'

Which is how I like it. Sandwich from grits if you must, but hell I barely even go inside this season.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

IncredibleIgloo posted:

(this is pre covid) So there I was in Whistler. I had a lovely day on the mountain. It seemed like I couldn't get my feet under me right and my skiing was terrible. It was stormy, windy, the groom was covered in crust. I was barely able to eek out a vertical mile when I was there. I was frustrated and tired and upset. I was coming down the stairs and just missed the bus, so I decided to walk back to the condo. That was a mistake. I got so tired and worn out on that walk, and increasingly more frustrated. I finally got back and was able to change into real shoes and was able to walk around. I did a quick search online to find dinner and I was amazed! I had found my favorite, Mongolian BBQ. I took my sister out to dinner and was so excited to have my favorite. We showed up there and were at the start of the line, where they have the different bowls you can grab. I said "Now, Sis, these places are all about cramming as much poo poo as possible into the fixed price bowls. So grab a bowl and just cram everything you want into it. I am serious, just smoosh that poo poo down and fill 'er up". Well, we got to the end and to my loving horror they took the bowls and put them on a scale. This place was not charging by bowl size, but by weight, a complete 180 from my previous Mongolian BBQ experiences. Turns out that my advice was incredibly bad, and we paid close to $120 for two huge loving servings of Mongolian BBQ.

That being said, I still want to go back to Whistler when the weather is better.

One of those opened up when I lived in Big Bear in the 90s, I remember being really loving high and watching one flatlander explain the "salad bar" to the rest of their flatlander group and then they all sat down to eat frozen meat chips.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Stowe did social distancing pretty well. I even got warned by a liftie for pulling down my mask as the gondola was leaving the base station even though it was only me and the my kids in the gondola. The resort hotel restaurant was also pretty good about keeping capacity low and tables far apart.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Mar 30, 2021

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

On Saturday I did one of my favorite hikes at the bird (the temptation ridge/gad ii touring gate boot pack) a few times, and when I got to the top there was a crew of dudes sessioning the top bit of the temptation chutes. Someone said 'he's gonna backflip those trees' so I pulled my phone out and here's the result:

https://youtube.com/shorts/yWd5U99hZA8

Also, here's a quick shot from exactly one year ago, when everything shut down and I had to tour exclusively. But man what a spring full of touring it was

https://youtu.be/CW3TCJk9IJU

Man last spring must have been incredible, and you're all apparently world class skiers and riders here. The ambient skill level in LCC especially is just nuts.

My wife and I finally made it to altabird on Saturday as well, tried to tick off as many chutes as possible with our buddy once we saw all the terrain was going to be open. Thought it was going to be warm and slushy but the skiing was awesome all day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xJ9uMrhBUw

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.

Skiing is much more natural starting out. You can basically put anyone, from a 3 year old to an older adult on skis and it's sort of natural to be able to at least stand up and slowly maneuver them around. Like was said above if you have ever ice skated, skiing is really easy to get started with (at a beginner level that is).

Unless you come from a boardsport background, snowboarding is a lot harder to get into as the body movements all feel foreign. That eventually switches once you get to intermediate level and snowboarding becomes the easier of the two and then it's a lot easier to get good on a board imo but you have to get over the initial hump.

The internal monologue definitely becomes second nature, I don't think about edging anymore as it's become automatic.

Body mechanics and awareness are so much more important on skis. I dig it, but man snowboarding is just so much more flowy and natural for me. But like you said, boardsports.

I am having some serious jealousy now that I’m a 9-5er. Once the snowpack stabilizes here it’s just so goddamn good and people are getting some crazy good tours in. Good looks spwrozek. Go get it.

Also this is a dubious loving honor:

Moot .1415926535 fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Mar 30, 2021

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Are those average monthly apartment rental prices? Is that high? What am I missing?

edit: I guess daily lol

ante fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Mar 30, 2021

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

ante posted:

Are those average monthly apartment rental prices? Is that high? What am I missing?
That's per day.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
Short term rentals so I’m guessing that’s nightly pricing.

Edit: :argh:

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

casque posted:

Late to the game but also 2 seasons on Hoji's and love them. They ski better than any touring boot I've used before and tour as well.

Scarpa shells go up with the half size for shells, 27.5 and 28 share a shell, rather than the more common 28 and 28.5 sharing a shell, so the Scarpa may not as been as far off as you think.

Yeah I remember that about Scarpas. I have some old Aliens from my first race in 2016, they are awful, like trying to ski in sneakers.

The guy had me in size 26.5 F1 Lts (I normally take 27.5) and they immediately made my feet ache. He was also being a dick in a very Swiss way, like I couldn't possibly have the wrong size boots on. No thanks.

Obviously I'm wearing the Hojis at my desk at home, feels like a good choice.

I also got a new rucksack for this tour coming up. The Dynafit race packs have an excellent ski carry system where you can attach your skis without taking the pack off, and they have added it to other packs now. You stick the ski tails through a loop by your left hip, and then use a hook on your right shoulder to secure them. Works super well.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Moot .1415926535 posted:

Also this is a dubious loving honor:

LOL at $383.65 per night for a two bedroom in Aspen. Something has to be skewing that number, there's a three bedroom 1500sqft condo in my company's HOA that has no ski access (probably a 20min uphill walk to the lift for your average tourist so they will be driving or taking the shuttle) and I know for a fact that it rents for $3-4k per night on Airbnb during the high season.

ironlung fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Mar 30, 2021

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
It’s probably the number that AirDNA spits out which is skewed by the offseason. My company’s cheapest two bedroom is about $425/nt right now.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Spime Wrangler posted:

Man last spring must have been incredible, and you're all apparently world class skiers and riders here. The ambient skill level in LCC especially is just nuts.

My wife and I finally made it to altabird on Saturday as well, tried to tick off as many chutes as possible with our buddy once we saw all the terrain was going to be open. Thought it was going to be warm and slushy but the skiing was awesome all day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xJ9uMrhBUw

It's pretty amazing, just by skiing or riding here regularly your skills increase immensely, and there are always people going bigger and pushing harder. The vibes amongst most of the regulars in LCC are incredible, even when you don't know the other people it's always such a cool place to recreate.

That's an awesome vid from baldy! Looks like you and the wife were really getting after it, and yeah saturday was AWESOME, so many leftovers. Even on sunday there was plenty of good stuff left.

If you can believe it, I was lapping the baldy chutes last may when a couple folks hit main chute on mountain bikes. The rest of us up top were like "that's one way to do it I guess?" but those people seriously bootpacked up baldy with friggin' bikes on their backs! The consensus up top after they dropped in was a) that was nuts and b) we'd rather be on skis or boards. :D

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

spwrozek posted:

I am curious about how terrible these setups ski.

As it happens there was a short article about this on Wildsnow the other day

https://www.wildsnow.com/29216/dynafit-race-ltr-105-binding-backcountry-skimo/

Moogs
Jan 25, 2004

Proceeds the Weedian... Nazareth

The Glumslinger posted:

What level skier are you? If you're an intermediate skier, id recommend dropping down to Tombstone after you are warmed up, then taking some laps on that and then taking the connector lift over to Iron Mountain, which has tons of good blues/easy blacks. From there you can drop over to Dreamscape/catcher and work that for a while or go to the gondola to the Park City side.

spwrozek posted:

If conditions and your skills allow, Straight to Ninety Nine-90 Express.

It is pretty hard to start in canyons and go ride PC imo.

Super Condor is also fun.

Appreciate the tips! Made it to Dreamcatcher yesterday, best run (due to conditions) was off that lift. It's definitely spring skiing out here, but UT has a much better base than CO does.

Took one run off Ninety Nine 90 yesterday and it was pretty awful, just not enough sun up there to melt the crust so I was scraping hard the entire time. Going to be here for a few more days, so will make it a point to get up there when it's sunny.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

knox_harrington posted:

As it happens there was a short article about this on Wildsnow the other day

https://www.wildsnow.com/29216/dynafit-race-ltr-105-binding-backcountry-skimo/

Yeah I read that a few weeks ago. I have to take a big grain of salt with anything from wild snow/CCB in relation to race gear, skinny skis in general. They are kind of anti split board imo and push that everyone should be on 75-85 mm skis because they are so much better (lighter) on the uphill. Very true but don't poo poo on people who like or ride heavy setups. Nothing wrong with being more about the down than the up. I get a little salty about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Haha yeah, Mongolie Grill is by weight. In the off season they do 50% off sometimes and then it's one of the best deals in town.