Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

raminasi posted:

that's potentially a solid pitch to someone who wants to think they care about principled employment but isn't actually willing to make sacrifices to do it

Our purpose is reimagining energy for people and our planet. We want to help the world reach net zero and improve people’s lives.

BP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

qirex posted:

I once got a "the client said you don't have enough startup experience" from a recruiter and when I pointed out I've worked for 6 startups he started hemming and hawing because I basically think he was trying to say "you're too old" without actually saying it

- - - - - - - - the bullet - - - - ->
                               you :unsmith:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

bob dobbs is dead posted:

- - - - - - - - the bullet - - - - ->
                               you :unsmith:

yeah I didn't actually want the job I was just so confused why someone would say I "lacked startup experience" that I wanted clarification

2000-'01 I got laid off 3 times in 12 months, that's like the most startup experience possible!

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

qirex posted:

I once got a "the client said you don't have enough startup experience" from a recruiter and when I pointed out I've worked for 6 startups he started hemming and hawing because I basically think he was trying to say "you're too old" without actually saying it

sounds like too much startup experience rather than not enough. you'd think they'd at least try to come up with a lie that isn't the exact opposite of the real reason.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

serial startup worker

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Private Speech posted:

yeah, pretty much

being fair it's basically what you can get from a trigger-based signal log or something, but I'm not quite mathy enough to know how to cope with it easily

I've been having other interviews which are less algo-heavy so I'll probably pass on that tbh

e: looking online it sounds like NUFFT, specifically NUFFT-III, is what I want, but still, eh

that's what i thought, and i would not call implementing it yourself anything like a reasonable task

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

fritz posted:

that's what i thought, and i would not call implementing it yourself anything like a reasonable task

it's one of the top (if not the top) high-end oscilloscope company on the market to be fair

but still

either way I sent a very polite email setting out why I'll be pursuing other opportunities

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

huh. the market must be really hot right now. i just got another email from a recruiter who stated the salary up front which would be *another* 20% increase in comp that i just secured a few months ago. that's interesting

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Private Speech posted:

At the same time they're openly saying stuff like:

And that does make me a bit worried.

e: At the same time them threatening me before I even start, well, uhh, not sure how well that reflects on them.

that’s insane. a threat like that would be good reason to look around for a new gig if you worked there, doing that before you have actually signed anything is just completely bonkers

this is how they act when they don’t actually sign your paycheck. i can’t understand how anyone would expect that to make you want to work there

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Anyone got a good resource for talking points about large scale system design?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Last two projects I've been on had an app gateway so thats a place to start

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Boiled Water posted:

Last two projects I've been on had an app gateway so thats a place to start

Is that just another name for a WAF and Load Balancer?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Aramoro posted:

Is that just another name for a WAF and Load Balancer?

possibly, I know it only from aws

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Aramoro posted:

Anyone got a good resource for talking points about large scale system design?

Designing Data-Intensive Applications by Kleppmann. It's the standard and it's going to be the standard for a while.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

ultrafilter posted:

Designing Data-Intensive Applications by Kleppmann. It's the standard and it's going to be the standard for a while.

seconding this, I read it a while ago (at another time when ultrafilter mentioned it somewhere :) ) and it’s fantastic

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

ultrafilter posted:

This looks ideal, some light reading for the next couple of nights for me then.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

One company I'm interviewing with wants me to make ring-0 spy software to put on employees computers (they are a cybersecurity company).

They're probably the most likely to come with an offer, but at the same time, eugh.

e:
VVVVV
yeah I've already turned them down within days of that

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Mar 30, 2021

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Private Speech posted:

e: At the same time them threatening me before I even start, well, uhh, not sure how well that reflects on them.

run, do not walk, away

you do not want to work at this place. this is an incredibly bad look and frankly pathetic. tell them to go gently caress themselves (in professional-ese of course)

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Private Speech posted:

One company I'm interviewing with wants me to make ring-0 spy software to put on employees computers (they are a cybersecurity company).

They're probably the most likely to come with an offer, but at the same time, eugh.

‘Ewwwwww’ sounds about right, to be honest. Are they at least planning to pay you a king’s ransom?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

i'm looking through a stack of resumes for three new positions and one person immediately won brownie points for me because they chose the exact same latex template that i used for this job lol

also it's an impressive resume

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

PIZZA.BAT posted:

i'm looking through a stack of resumes for three new positions and one person immediately won brownie points for me because they chose the exact same latex template that i used for this job lol

also it's an impressive resume

I stole a latex template someone posted itt and have received many complements on my resume looking neat. Thanks to that goon. :tipshat:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I wrote my resume with html/css and export it to pdf and have gotten a few compliments on it

latex feels grognardy, but I guess this is the place for it

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

If you're a web developer, html/css is a much better choice. I don't want people thinking that I can or want to work with either of those things, so I use latex.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I’m not though, and I’ve only ever submitted pdfs

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
its a solid smug oppty when you crack open that \LaTeX command in your jumble of buzzwords and see that formattin

much much much more importantly, recruiters dont know how to gently caress w a pdf to misrepresent you to peeps. recruiters have higher turnover than fast food and the ethical rigor of your average used car dealer so you gotta take measures

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

resume format is signaling

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Years ago when I was trying to escape Experts Exchange, I was attaching a .docx resume I made in LibreOffice to my job applications and getting no hits. Then I finally opened it in Word and realized it looked like absolute rear end when not viewed on my exact computer, so switched to LaTeX-generated PDF's. Instantly started getting way more bites.

Now my dream interviewing situation is for a company I'm not very interested in to tell me I need to consent to a background check and/or piss test and me telling them to get hosed.

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

The Fool posted:

I wrote my resume with html/css and export it to pdf and have gotten a few compliments on it

holy poo poo, why did I never think of that before?

I've been using indesign and it's driving me crazy. I could even version it with git

oh well, I'm happy with my job now

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

The Fool posted:

i did the same. used to use latex but the version on my computer is out of date and there were a bunch of package dependency issues so i said gently caress it and wrote it in html/css and frankly it was much better and easier.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
hello friends, i am alive, despite my best efforts

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I am a chump and use VisualCV for mine, every 3 months I get billed for it (for the last 2 years) and every 3 months I forget to cancel it: https://www.visualcv.com/resume-templates/avant/

every time I go to cancel it, i figure its time to start sending it out, so i dont cancel it, and the cyucle continues

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Valeyard posted:

I am a chump and use VisualCV for mine, every 3 months I get billed for it (for the last 2 years) and every 3 months I forget to cancel it: https://www.visualcv.com/resume-templates/avant/

every time I go to cancel it, i figure its time to start sending it out, so i dont cancel it, and the cyucle continues

ive never head of that site before, but I’ve definitely seen resumes generated by it

tangentially, I want to strangle anyone that uses progress bars in their skill sections

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I was meant to have an interview today but they had to cancel 15 minutes beforehand due to an "urgent issue"

by the by, has anyone ever used this loving horrible screening website IKM? they had me do a multiple choice Python test (60 questions, each question has 1 to 3 correct answers) and it was awful, i cant imagine actually using this to find good programmers

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
i already told them that even just using this thing is a red flag lol

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Valeyard posted:

i already told them that even just using this thing is a red flag lol

move on to the next 5 peeps on the pipeline

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

ultrafilter posted:

If you're a web developer, html/css is a much better choice. I don't want people thinking that I can or want to work with either of those things, so I use latex.

ha yeah the guy i was reviewing it with mentioned, 'so wait she built her resume in latex but didn't list that as a skill?'

i responded by asking if he'd want people to know he knew how to use it.

'ah.... good point'

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Same reason my resume no longer mentions PHP haha

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Valeyard posted:

I was meant to have an interview today but they had to cancel 15 minutes beforehand due to an "urgent issue"

by the by, has anyone ever used this loving horrible screening website IKM? they had me do a multiple choice Python test (60 questions, each question has 1 to 3 correct answers) and it was awful, i cant imagine actually using this to find good programmers
oh my last job started using that during my tenure there and yeah it loving sucks. did the .net for a promotion and it was based around like framework 3.5 or some poo poo

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

PIZZA.BAT posted:

ha yeah the guy i was reviewing it with mentioned, 'so wait she built her resume in latex but didn't list that as a skill?'

i responded by asking if he'd want people to know he knew how to use it.

'ah.... good point'

i mean, even when i was in college and used latex for math homework the sum of my skill was how to google "<what i want to do> latex"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i've used latex regularly for 20 years and still spent two+ hours the other day trying to get text to flow around a figure in the right way.