Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Tom Clancy had the correct idea in that you make your protagonist identify as a Democrat, but then adopt all the policies Republicans love

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Atrocious Joe posted:

the difference is, in Blade Runner only Roy Batty says the themes out loud

Except for the theatrical cut where Harrison Ford carefully explains the movie as it unfolds.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Tom Clancy had the correct idea in that you make your protagonist identify as a Democrat, but then adopt all the policies Republicans love

this is an accurate depiction of most Democrats in DC

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Atrocious Joe posted:

this is an accurate depiction of most Democrats in DC

lol yeah that and Bartlett being such a conservative used to make me “well actually” as a kid and now im much more on the “show me the lie” bandwagon

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

Alhazred posted:

Even Veep doesn't say which party Selina Meyer belongs to.

i thought they did explicitly say she's a democrat? after she becomes president, they even go into details about some of her policies to a surprising degree (although of course she can't implement any of them). i seem to remember that they want to expand abortion access and cut the defense budget

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Aglet56 posted:

i thought they did explicitly say she's a democrat? after she becomes president, they even go into details about some of her policies to a surprising degree (although of course she can't implement any of them). i seem to remember that they want to expand abortion access and cut the defense budget

if i recall correctly in the very first episode she gets stuck with doing a press thing about obesity
that's democrats, republicans don't care how clogged the arteries get as long as the red white and blue is getting even moderately pumped inside the swollen bodies of the electorate

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
at the very least the lady who runs against her in season 4 or 5 is explicitly Republican so it’s probably safe to say she’s a Dem

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Look at this guy not thinking about art

https://twitter.com/OsitaNwanevu/status/1376886120475156485?s=19

I can't wait for this movie

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Selina Meyer is definitely a dem but they never actually say democrats or republicans in the show.

The Lobotomy Kid
Aug 27, 2011

and act like a nut.
Movies should be about my beloved childhood IP and also tell me how to live my life.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

Judakel posted:

gojira, Godzilla vs Destoroyah and Shin Godzilla are all very smart movies that still have a ton of spectacle. i don't get why people think it has to be one way or the other

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
people think that you can’t do intelligent action after years of horribly shot “action” films that just lean on cg and super fast cuts to obscure everything

they also thought this before action movies mostly died but I wanted to complain about that too

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I pine for the days when action movies crippled or killed extras and stuntmen.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

If a movie doesn't have at least 3 dead horses I am out

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
i got kong

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 9 days!)

Low Desert Punk posted:

gojira, Godzilla vs Destoroyah and Shin Godzilla are all very smart movies that still have a ton of spectacle. i don't get why people think it has to be one way or the other

i think you're missing a very important part of what separates Godzilla v Kong from those

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

DoubleDonut posted:

people think that you can’t do intelligent action after years of horribly shot “action” films that just lean on cg and super fast cuts to obscure everything

they also thought this before action movies mostly died but I wanted to complain about that too

someone give scott adkins some philosophic lines to deliver in between rear end kickings

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

We're not going to get a conclusive answer to who would win in a fight (it would be Godzilla, though) before Godzilla and King Kong team up to kill something bigger and that's terrible.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

WrightOfWay posted:

We're not going to get a conclusive answer to who would win in a fight (it would be Kong, though) before Godzilla and King Kong team up to kill something bigger and that's terrible.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
movie could use some Jet Jaguar

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Dr. Killjoy posted:

:hmmyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyF4pLUGWIU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

re: veep, the labels weren't important because it was a show about personalities and how everyone in dc are vain, vile climbers and backstabbers

it's a very good show

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

during the elections her state wins were colored blue therefore

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
VEEP is kinda the complement to the West Wing. They're both about how how our ruling class is beyond listening to us about "Party Affiliation" "ideology" and "good policy". But where the West Wing says it's because our wise and noble technocrat overlords know better than us filthy peasants who deserve our austerity, VEEP says it's because they're a bunch of greedy parasites.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Agreed

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

galagazombie posted:

VEEP is kinda the complement to the West Wing. They're both about how how our ruling class is beyond listening to us about "Party Affiliation" "ideology" and "good policy". But where the West Wing says it's because our wise and noble technocrat overlords know better than us filthy peasants who deserve our austerity, VEEP says it's because they're a bunch of greedy parasites.

Apparently when Armando Iannucci was doing research for the show at the White House, everyone there would compare each other to characters from the West Wing.

He found it somewhat off-putting.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Apparently when Armando Iannucci was doing research for the show at the White House, everyone there would compare each other to characters from the West Wing.

He found it somewhat off-putting.

what's great about jonah's plot progression through the seasons is how plausible it is

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
hoping i can watch a stream of the lizard vs ape movie tomorrow

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

i say swears online posted:

what's great about jonah's plot progression through the seasons is how plausible it is

my favorite single jokes from Veep are either F-DOTUS or this https://vlipsy.com/vlip/giKlRwUd

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 246 days!

Judakel posted:

fleeing supermechagodzilla into the arms of regular mechagodzilla

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Hodgepodge posted:

fleeing supermechagodzilla into the arms of regular mechagodzilla

let's see smg masturbate to this one

its GODZILLA VS KING KONG DAY!

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

i am only like 10 minutes in but i am enjoying godzilla vs. kong a great deal

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

this may be the best scene in the series and it's neat it came so far into the run

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Crusader posted:

i am only like 10 minutes in but i am enjoying godzilla vs. kong a great deal

cool my hbo sub is still active, think i'll check this out when i get off work.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 246 days!
i just found this and i love it and am sharing it with all, but also i barely post in cspam outside this thread and maybe a couple others right now and it technically fits here. also lolololol

Pirate Jet posted:

The reason Taintrunner got perma’d, specifically, is because he was found to be a re-reg of Jefferoo, a goon who was perma’d for accusations of sexual assault.

This is relevant to CineD insomuch as we may remember him as having written one of the most embarrassing posts in the sub forum’s history, where he tried to defend Pacific Rim against SMG by claiming it was a movie “by the doers, for the doers.”

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

apparently they’re making two sequels to Knives Out with a combined budget of $450 million. the first one cost $40mm and only one of the actors is returning, I’m struggling to guess at how you justify a $225mm sequel to a single location murder mystery movie

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Hodgepodge posted:

i just found this and i love it and am sharing it with all, but also i barely post in cspam outside this thread and maybe a couple others right now and it technically fits here. also lolololol

He was also the Ur-Bernie bro. Jude Doyle based his cursed article on taintrunner who was sleeping on his couch at the time.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

indigi posted:

apparently they’re making two sequels to Knives Out with a combined budget of $450 million. the first one cost $40mm and only one of the actors is returning, I’m struggling to guess at how you justify a $225mm sequel to a single location murder mystery movie

I think it could be a "franchise" based around Daniel Craig's detective. It should not cost that much money.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 246 days!

Mr Hootington posted:

He was also the Ur-Bernie bro. Jude Doyle based his cursed article on taintrunner who was sleeping on his couch at the time.

yeah, he originally came up in relation to the comparison between the concepts of berniebros and snyderbros in the thread (this being the justice league thread)

it's just so perfectly hilarious that he went full on fascist over analysis of pacific rim before his rebrand. for the doers by doers agaha

okay i should see if i can track down the post and see if it's as funny as it sounds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

indigi posted:

My guess? They're all gonna get paid a lot more. The old Adam Sandler scam. Except hopefully the movies will be good.