Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I have a friend who generally has good taste in movies that likes Man of Steel and I just want to watch it to see if he's off his rocker on this one since everyone else seems to hate it so much. I thought that scene posted itt was pretty good tbh I kind of want to watch it now haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Just finished ZeroZeroZero and it was like an 8 hour Michael Mann miniseries. Very highly recommended- it is an especially dark show but it's one of my favorites of the last few years.

It’s well made and thankfully not what I was expecting from a narco drama.

I really liked the Lynnwood siblings third of the story.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

I have a friend who generally has good taste in movies that likes Man of Steel and I just want to watch it to see if he's off his rocker on this one since everyone else seems to hate it so much. I thought that scene posted itt was pretty good tbh I kind of want to watch it now haha.
I thought it was well directed but also it kind of becomes a loud cacophonous slog towards the final giant endless battle (esp in theaters). I don't really see it as worse than any average comic book movie, Snyder knows how to direct action so I definitely remember more of Man of Steel's fights than...well, many entire MCU films. I don't really like comic book movies in general though, and Man of Steel wasn't what I'd consider a pleasant movie experience, I just appreciate that Snyder has melodramatic over the top failures compared to the acceptable slop that Disney serves eager funko kids.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Mar 30, 2021

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
People raved about the Russo brothers but I cant for the life of me remember any actual dynamic fight sequences in Civil War or Winter Soldier other than the elevator scene. Snyder does big and stupid well.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

My roommate was highly recommending ZeroZeroZero - so it's worth checking out? The one thing that really intrigued me was hearing that Mogwai did the music - I was a big fan of theirs back in the early '00s when I was into stuff like them, Sigur Ros, GSY!BE and whatnot.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

veni veni veni posted:

It's a movie that relies heavily on the charm of Henry Cavill. It was pretty clear that they were trying to model the movie off of Nolan's Batman trilogy, which doesn't really work too well with Superman because he's not supposed to be dark and brooding.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Punkin Spunkin posted:

People raved about the Russo brothers but I cant for the life of me remember any actual dynamic fight sequences in Civil War or Winter Soldier other than the elevator scene. Snyder does big and stupid well.

That's not what people like about the Russo brothers.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

feedmyleg posted:

That's not what people like about the Russo brothers.

I am curious what do they like? The only thing movie wise I truly enjoyed that was associated with them was Extraction and they didn’t even direct it. They make me feel like an old man who just doesn’t get it anymore.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I just appreciate that Snyder has melodramatic over the top failures compared to the acceptable slop that Disney serves eager funko kids.

One more for this (I'm more charitable to the MCU movies than you, but whatever). I'm not a fan of Snyder's interpretation of the DC characters. So I don't particularly like the movies, but they're at least more interesting and have beats that stick in my craw. As opposed to when an MCU movie is bad and I forget 95% of it within a day.

Certainly any given action scene will be better than almost every action scene produced in any marvel movie. The guy really knows how to sell power.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Mar 30, 2021

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

kaworu posted:

My roommate was highly recommending ZeroZeroZero - so it's worth checking out? The one thing that really intrigued me was hearing that Mogwai did the music - I was a big fan of theirs back in the early '00s when I was into stuff like them, Sigur Ros, GSY!BE and whatnot.

If you like Michael Mann's style, and are interested in a sort of The Wire meets Sicario meets Narcos mash-up, absolutely check it out.

And yes, the music is great.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Mr. Toodles posted:

Jesus Christ, you were not kidding. I scoffed at the "Raid" comparison, then I saw it was Gareth Evans, and then I saw the show, and loving wild is exactly right.

I was very Gung ho about watching it but now I need a good cool down period of a day or so between episodes. Just so high octane (for lack of a better word).

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Punkin Spunkin posted:

People raved about the Russo brothers but I cant for the life of me remember any actual dynamic fight sequences in Civil War or Winter Soldier other than the elevator scene.
Age of Ultron had a fantastic opening sequence (done, of course, by the second unit) but it's not worth having to watch the rest of the movie

e: oh, you mentioned those two movies to ask about the Russos' eye for action specifically? Winter Soldier had a pretty cool half-running car chase, but with the MCU there's no telling who directed that, Patty Jenkins recounted once that she was approached by Marvel first, but realized how little creative control she'll have after being told to "not worry about the action"

Ruffian Price fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Mar 30, 2021

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Shadow & Bone trailer finally here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1WHQTbJ7vE

This is probably going to rival The Witcher for popularity on Netflix.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Looks waay better than the first trailer made it out to be.

nate fisher posted:

I am curious what do they like? The only thing movie wise I truly enjoyed that was associated with them was Extraction and they didn’t even direct it. They make me feel like an old man who just doesn’t get it anymore.

Maybe how they can thread the needle of making superheroes fun, quippy, and personable without turning it into a sitcom or an obnoxious Joss Whedon thing?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Ruffian Price posted:

e: oh, you mentioned those two movies to ask about the Russos' eye for action specifically? Winter Soldier had a pretty cool half-running car chase, but with the MCU there's no telling who directed that, Patty Jenkins recounted once that she was approached by Marvel first, but realized how little creative control she'll have after being told to "not worry about the action"

Wonder Woman is a middle tier superhero movie that is only as notable as it is because it's the first Wonder Woman movie and the first movie in the new DC cinematic canon that was actually watchable. WW84 of course was a miserable slog, and it makes me worried for her Star Wars movie.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Ahaha if someone had told me this movie starts with Jimmy Olsen's head being blown off and Batman branding a human trafficker I would've said "Ha, I know they're going for grim and gritty but that sounds like a bit much".

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Jolo posted:

Ahaha if someone had told me this movie starts with Jimmy Olsen's head being blown off and Batman branding a human trafficker I would've said "Ha, I know they're going for grim and gritty but that sounds like a bit much".

The entire film is a dissertation on taking absolutely everything to its exhausting and tedious extreme

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day

nate fisher posted:

Have you seen Cherry? It's up there with the most over-directed movies I've ever seen. They were going for something that I don't get. And not to be a "the movie needs to reflect the book" kind of guy, but the movie is so wildly different from the book that I'm still trying to wrap my head around how they read it and thought "yeah this is the movie we should make."

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
Cherk?

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Nihonniboku posted:

It's a movie that relies heavily on the charm of Henry Cavill. It was pretty clear that they were trying to model the movie off of Nolan's Batman trilogy, which doesn't really work too well with Superman because he's not supposed to be dark and brooding.

I can understand why it MOS was made like it is, its not just that Nolans films were huge, its also:

1) You're probably not going to make a Donner/Reeves style optimistic boy scout Superman movie that does that style better or more authentically than Superman I/II.

2) Modern audiences probably wouldn't respond to that style very well anyway.

So trying to go in a new direction makes sense, and it at least sorta worked.

BvS though? Uggggh.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Just watched The Art of Self Defense (2019) with Jesse Eisenberg on Netflix and it, beyond being one of my new favorite dark comedies, has one of the best uses of Chekhovs gun I've ever seen in a film. It's about a man joining a karate-class to get past a trauma and it just gets so weird so quickly.

I'm going to suggest anyone even remotely curious about watching it to skip the trailer linked below and go in blind. It is an incredible film and I'm surprised I've never heard of it before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Bms6Hba-3A

It's fantastic. Very weird though, extremely so.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

MiddleOne posted:

Just watched The Art of Self Defense (2019) with Jesse Eisenberg on Netflix and it, beyond being one of my new favorite dark comedies, has one of the best uses of Chekhovs gun I've ever seen in a film. It's about a man joining a karate-class to get past a trauma and it just gets so weird so quickly.
I quite enjoyed it too, caught it when it was on Hulu. It's so hard for me to find comedies that hit the sweetspot of my sense of humor or make me laugh out loud and this had plenty of great absurd moments.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
If you like that, watch The Foot Fist Way. There’s something special about movies featuring total losers learning martial arts.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I quite enjoyed it too, caught it when it was on Hulu. It's so hard for me to find comedies that hit the sweetspot of my sense of humor or make me laugh out loud and this had plenty of great absurd moments.

Good build-up is so underrated.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

MiddleOne posted:

I'm going to suggest anyone even remotely curious about watching it to skip the trailer linked below and go in blind. It is an incredible film and I'm surprised I've never heard of it before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Bms6Hba-3A

It's fantastic. Very weird though, extremely so.

I don't see it on Netflix.

E: It's on Hulu though

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah the art of self defense is really good. It wasn't really what I expecting. For some reason I was expecting like, a greasy strangler type thing? But it's not that at all.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah the art of self defense is really good. It wasn't really what I expecting. For some reason I was expecting like, a greasy strangler type thing? But it's not that at all.

What? Who ever expects a Greasy Strangler type of thing? For anything, including The Greasy Strangler?

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

veni veni veni posted:

MoS is one of my favorite movies ever AMA

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Why?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

What? Who ever expects a Greasy Strangler type of thing? For anything, including The Greasy Strangler?

It’s got those post Tim and Eric absurdity vibes, but they are ultimately pretty tame.

Or maybe like, are darker Napoleon Dynamite? I dunno. Either way it’s better than either of those.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

For me I really like Michael Shannon's performance and cavill is a pretty neat superman. The movie itself isn't the best but it's they make it fun for me.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Short version, I love the moody contemplative tone and the bombastic insane action as well as its message on believing in the good of people and the world.

Long version, I really connect with this interpretation of Superman/Clark. I was bullied a lot as a kid and have been confronted with a lot of the ugly side of humanity. For a lot of my life I struggled between wanting to see the world as deserving of nothing but its impending doom and believing the world is mostly good and people by nature are good.

I saw myself in Clark and that same struggle he has and was really captivated by the idea of this struggle seen through the eyes of a literal living god with the power to destroy the entire planet. Zod is a great villain to me because he stands in exact contrast to Clark in this regard. I find and draw a lot of inspiration for hope and optimism in MoS and Clarks choice/nature for believing in the good of the world.

He never once seemed "dark and brooding" to me. Just a guy struggling with the weight and emotional burden of being Superman. It would not be easy. It would be really loving mentally difficult to deal with that.I really really appreciate that touch to these movies because its very human.

A good example of a scene that really speaks to me is the scene cutting back and forth between Perry and Lombard willing to sacrifice their lives to try and save Jenny while Clark pushes up and against the power of the world engine, serving as a visual metaphor for Superman overcoming the gravity and weight of his burden and juxtaposing it with Perry and Lombards heroism. Theres a lot of scenes and moments like that throughout the film too.

Its why a previous posters opinion its "devoid of substance" just seems to lack any actual will or attempt to engage with the obvious thematic subtext spread throughout the film. Theres so many scenes and shots and lines of dialogue, some a little too on the nose, that just ooze "substance".

I also just love that all of this beautiful filmmaking is paired with absolutely batshit crazy action, which I enjoy being exhausted by. The score, the cinematography, everything. I also just really enjoy the way Snyder tells stories in general, but thats just me.

I dont know, I just vibe really hard with it and it helped me define and understand a part of myself I struggled to for awhile.

This is a good video from someone who revisited the film and ended up loving it after initially hating it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scO66BKoXQA

Its really not as hated as the internet and dogmatic nerds like to make it out to be(like most things) and a lot of people outside of Snyder fans do like the film. Id wager most of the planet doesnt give a poo poo either way.

Also, Man of Steel is in the top 25 bestselling blurays of all time.

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Mar 31, 2021

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Riding the DC train, stargirl is on HBO max and while it’s pretty mediocre in a lot of ways, it’s almost worth watching for its fight scenes. The vast majority of them have zero CGI (except for the staff effects) and I was shocked at how all the wire work went into making fight sequences SO much more enjoyable. You can tell they had a lot of fun actually throwing people off walls and over tire racks and stuff. Also luke wilson gives the most accurate luke wilson performance in 1.5 decades.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

veni veni veni posted:

It's hated more for either the complete failure to understand the character, or the poorly done grimdark attempt to recharacterize him (take your pick). There are moments that are visually pretty good, although the overall flat look that Snyder loves....just doesn't jibe. Essentially, most folks hate it because it's a bad Superman movie, not because they think it's a bad movie. It turns a paragon of self-sacrifice into a punchy, angsty god who could care less about collateral damage.

I'd suggest seeing it. Someone who had no connection with the character going in would probably view it more favorably. I just thought it was pointless. Why make a grimdark Superman movie? It's like making a moody, slow-paced Dukes of Hazzard movie.

Michael Shannon, as he always does, owns every minute of his screentime.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I'd rather ride the actual train to DC than ride the DC train.

It's actually a pretty enjoyable experience, Amtrak is stupid and disorganized and way more expensive than it should be but you get a comfy seat and tons of leg room.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

GD_American posted:

It turns a paragon of self-sacrifice into a punchy, angsty god who could care less about collateral damage.

No it doesn't.

Apart from the first act of the movie where a not-yet-Superman Clark Kent is kind of off doing his own thing (and still can't resist saving people as he comes across them), Snyder and Cavill's Superman is motivated by the same things and has generally the same outlook on life as the most optimistic and upbeat takes on Superman. The only difference is the world around him.

There are like four different scenes in the movie where someone's openly abusing Clark and he turns around and saves them because it's the right thing to do. The movie raises the question of whether he should risk or sacrifice himself to protect others and then blatantly answers "yes" over and over again, almost to the point where you could argue it's redundant -- except that people still seem confused by it.

In the fight against Zod he's constantly trying to minimize the damage; it's just that he can't always succeed because he's fighting another superhuman. (See for instance how he forcefully drags the fight into space, only for Zod to take them right back. And of course he kills Zod -- after agonizing over the decision and begging him not to force his hand -- in order to save a family, in other words, to prevent collateral damage.)

Disliking the film's aesthetic is fine but there's this mythos around it stoked by inept YouTube critics that bears literally no resemblance to what actually happens in the film.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Mar 31, 2021

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

"Damnit son, I wish you had let that bus of kids drown"

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

GD_American posted:

god who could care less about collateral damage.
It's so weird to encounter real people with this clickbait take...but then again you did call it "grimdark" too....
Is it that he doesn't care? Or is it that the film supplies an enemy whose collateral damage he cannot prevent?
I don't wish to revisit that migraine of a movie, but I believe it was more the latter.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

GD_American posted:

"Damnit son, I wish you had let that bus of kids drown"

Kind of you to provide a perfect example of the phenomenon I was describing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Kind of you to provide a perfect example of the phenomenon I was describing.

Yes, Pa Kent is notoriously amoral in the comics too