Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Butyric acid: good in cheese, bad in chocolate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Milk chocolate is cacao flavored cheese

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Even the Cadbury chocolate creme eggs that are basically big truffles are awful. Just a ball of sweet that only a child could love.

Which I guess is who they’re made for so :shrug:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Bought couple of Cadbury Creme Eggs (TM) once because I saw them in the FoReIgN section of the supermarket (crap chocolate - how exotic). Can confirm they are extremely disappointing for those with no nostalgia.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Data Graham posted:

Is this known for sure? Is it about the chocolate or the filling? I ask because my annual tradition of hoarding up a handful of them that I've honored since I was a kid is becoming less and less of an irresistible siren song; whenever I go get one from my stash it just doesn't seem as good as it used to, but I'm not sure how or why. I think someone said something about how the fondant used to be different between the "white" and "yolk" and now it's just a mass of undifferentiated sugary blah, but this is all a weird telephone game of anecdotes

There were a bunch of news articles about changing the chocolate in 2015, but they have made changes before that

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

boar guy posted:

i haven't had a candy bar or like, grocery store candy in years, and my daughter got a huge thing of Rolos from a friend for her birthday, i tried one and they taste just awful. did chocolate always taste like a fart?

How long did it take your mouth to stop producing excess saliva after eating it, too? Something about Rolos, they almost loving drown me

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I only like stale Cream Eggs™. Stiffens up the filling some and you can eat them without making a mess.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Think about Caburry Creme Eggs reminded me of the time I decided to smash one, possibly fry it, and put it on a sandwich. Ah youth.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
cacao prices have skyrocketed due to global warming and therefore every industrial chocolate maker has moved heaven and earth to put less cacao in a bar. the higher end ones do the shrink ray, the low end ones make inedible bullshit

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYWaf8pgrms

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Not just would, have and would again.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Cacao is a weird as hell plant that has to be processed to hell and back to the product we usually know.

There was a new strain of cacao developed a while back called CCN-51 that was resistant to disease and high-yielding, but it had a taste that a lot of people didn't like.

""The Chocolate Journalist" posted:

For many, this inferior variety could never reach an acceptable flavor. They consider it a "slutty" variety that only serves big chocolate manufacturers. It could never compete with the Olympus of fine flavor varieties. They believe CCN-51 will never be material for craft chocolate makers.

CCN-51 is still a large proportion of the cacao that is produced right now though, and it just gets some extra processing to take the edge off and even gets cut with other strains. It's a whole thing. Getting new cultivars to be accepted widely is tough. It's like how some of the banana cultivars that have prospects of replacing the cavendish are reported to taste better, but they still taste different.

There's also the new and somewhat mysterious "ruby chocolate" that may just be marketing hype around using unfermented beans for cheaper cost and different color.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Don't start me on bananas!

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
I really like the ruby chocolate I’ve had. But it’s a relatively mild flavor compared to the strong dark single-estate chocolates that win awards.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

SlothfulCobra posted:

Cacao is a weird as hell plant that has to be processed to hell and back to the product we usually know.

There was a new strain of cacao developed a while back called CCN-51 that was resistant to disease and high-yielding, but it had a taste that a lot of people didn't like.

CCN-51 is still a large proportion of the cacao that is produced right now though, and it just gets some extra processing to take the edge off and even gets cut with other strains. It's a whole thing. Getting new cultivars to be accepted widely is tough. It's like how some of the banana cultivars that have prospects of replacing the cavendish are reported to taste better, but they still taste different.

There's also the new and somewhat mysterious "ruby chocolate" that may just be marketing hype around using unfermented beans for cheaper cost and different color.

Considering a name change to “slutty cacao”

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Harlot Chocolate

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It's about ethics in chocolate journalism

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

LifeSunDeath posted:

Harlot Chocolate

I prefer my chocolate a little tart

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

LifeSunDeath posted:

Harlot Chocolate

The most Italian dessert name.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

I have a mighty need

Iron Crowned posted:

Yeah, but they were the most palatable Easter candy outside of jelly beans.

The worst Easter candy being anything made by Palmer, it's horrid taste and texture is directly in opposition to how pretty it looks

WOULD

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Goddamn they just give you a carafe of extra sauce to pour on it?!!

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

The worst Easter candy being anything made by Palmer, it's horrid taste and texture is directly in opposition to how pretty it looks

I love love Palmer "chocolate". I know I'm wrong. I know it is just chocolate flavored grease. But my whole body craves pounds of it a year at Easter and it's pathetic.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

bob dobbs is dead posted:

cacao prices have skyrocketed due to global warming and therefore every industrial chocolate maker has moved heaven and earth to put less cacao in a bar. the higher end ones do the shrink ray, the low end ones make inedible bullshit

I mean white chocolate is nice so if we just stopped using it that would be fine.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
White chocolate still uses cocoa butter.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Does it have to? If you could find a way to just make a sort of sweet slightly chalky cheese that would be fine.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
your searchword is penuche

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

your searchword is penuche

your safeword is "chocolate doo doo butter"

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I'd be okay getting theobromine in food supplement form.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Outies are gross

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

This is actually something I never got about the Wonka television thing: it would require tons more of each ingredient, in a ratio to its desired final resolution, and the resulting effort is for a free sample, simply banking on the idea that tasting a Wonka bar will make you buy more chocolate. Not profitable imho

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's basically the candy equivalent of Tesla's crazy plan to provide free energy for the world.

OwlFancier posted:

Does it have to? If you could find a way to just make a sort of sweet slightly chalky cheese that would be fine.

Legally it has to in order to qualify as chocolate instead of like...sweetened magarine or something.

I don't think I'd want a chalky chocolate though.

SlothfulCobra has a new favorite as of 04:09 on Mar 31, 2021

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Brawnfire posted:

This is actually something I never got about the Wonka television thing: it would require tons more of each ingredient, in a ratio to its desired final resolution, and the resulting effort is for a free sample, simply banking on the idea that tasting a Wonka bar will make you buy more chocolate. Not profitable imho

Is there anything about Mr. Wonka that suggests to you he wouldn't put addictive chemicals in something?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Brawnfire posted:

the signal can be sent to multiple televisions

dude's got a magic chocolate replicator

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Tunicate posted:

the signal can be sent to multiple televisions

dude's got a magic chocolate replicator

The text never made that part clear but now it makes way sense :aaaaa:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
And a chocolate bar that dense would be enough to feed a family for a week or Augustus Gloop for a day.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think I'd want a chalky chocolate though.

:barf:

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Let's go see what kind of trouble we can get into.

gently caress that's a thing of beauty.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I love ruby chocolate, but it's definitely not a substitute for when you want milk or dark chocolate. It's got potential though, if it gets more popular and easier to buy.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think I'd want a chalky chocolate though.

Oh, Necco Wafers. These remind me of when I used to eat the colored chalk when I was in school. I was sick for a year and nearly died...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

LifeSunDeath posted:

this blue chips poo poo is out of control

e, ok the blue cheetoes are fake, but the blue takis are not and I've heard they're terrible.

Alternate Universe Snacks Taste Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUEXPAHqmIs

Freezin' Cold Cheetos Are The Snack Of The Future
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owo-x0DyQno