Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

Star Trek DS9 is different because everyone clearly uses the holosuite to have orgies or go on viking raids or gambling at Quark's.

Also DS9 actually treated people's dumb space hobbies like they were dumb space hobbies, instead of TNG acting like it's the height of culture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Also DS9 actually treated people's dumb space hobbies like they were dumb space hobbies, instead of TNG acting like it's the height of culture.

TNG had plenty of examples where the main characters act like a dumb person's idea of a smart person.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Mods please change my name to Delightengale tia.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

UFOTacoMan posted:

oops wrong thread,

Amos is my fav though

From being the best friend in the universe to going into a bezerker rage to beat someone to death with a can of chicken.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

suck my woke dick posted:

TNG had plenty of examples where the main characters act like a dumb person's idea of a smart person.

The writers on TNG thought smart people only enjoy classical music and Shakespeare. Tom Paris likes 50s Rock n' Roll, what a crazy non conformist!

So many boring Mozart concerts. I bet the writers would be shocked by the existence of "Leck mich im Arsch".

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
TNG = Space Frasier

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I assume this is hanging in the Louvre, yes?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

So many boring Mozart concerts. I bet the writers would be shocked by the existence of "Leck mich im Arsch".

It's science fiction with "Basic characteristics"

Jows
May 8, 2002

twistedmentat posted:

The writers on TNG thought smart people only enjoy classical music and Shakespeare. Tom Paris likes 50s Rock n' Roll, what a crazy non conformist!

Or just using public domain stuff since it was free

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Jows posted:

Or just using public domain stuff since it was free

There's that, but paramount would have to have a huge library of stuff to pull from wouldn't they? And CBS. Plus there's public domain stuff that existed after the 18th century.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

twistedmentat posted:

There's that, but paramount would have to have a huge library of stuff to pull from wouldn't they? And CBS. Plus there's public domain stuff that existed after the 18th century.

The shows were made for syndication though. So while CBS/Paramount might have a library of stuff they can have on their own channel, there could be some weird licensing thing where a local NBC station wants to have star trek during the afternoons but they wouldn't have the license for some music or something.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

loving lol. My space show is better than your space show!!!!!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Cojawfee posted:

The shows were made for syndication though. So while CBS/Paramount might have a library of stuff they can have on their own channel, there could be some weird licensing thing where a local NBC station wants to have star trek during the afternoons but they wouldn't have the license for some music or something.

I would think that syndication would have that worked out before?

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?

twistedmentat posted:

Tom Paris' thing was sprucing up antique cars on the holodeck.

Which in all honesty is stupider than any of the other eccentric interests on Star Trek.

Jetrock
Jul 26, 2005

This is the tower of murder... it's where I hang out!

Narsham posted:

Yes, I read Holden in that scene as being firmly in the "is this experience loving over yet" mode. For all he knows Head Miller means he's gone completely insane and he's hallucinating an alien space station on the road to a quick death. He believes otherwise, but he's been wrong before.

Although the other option is "quietly furious." He clearly suspects that ProtoMiller isn't Miller and that the Protomolecule, which he hasn't exactly had a sunny and pleasant history with prior to this point, is faking Miller to manipulate him. It's arguable that his forcing the Protomolecule to prove Miller is Miller sets up for what happens in S4. Either way, Holden is in "this place is going to try to loving kill me at any moment" mode, not "my God, it's full of stars!" mode.
Like when proto-Miller tells Holden he can take his helmet off, but Holden checks his wristcomp and the atmosphere is clearly not breathable?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

CPFortest posted:

Which in all honesty is stupider than any of the other eccentric interests on Star Trek.

100% from the rich writers doing the exact same thing. There is a Simpsons commentary where they talked about how all of the writers suddenly got into cars without really knowing anything about them. I guess that what happens when you're some weird nerd and suddenly start making major TV show writing.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

CPFortest posted:

This is literally a futuristic version of My Summer Car which is the funniest poo poo ever

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

CPFortest posted:

Still preferable to other hobbies people did in Star Trek like when LaForge created the holodeck sim of the girl who refused to go out with him.

The Federation utopia didn't solve or eradicate cringe worthy situations.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

etalian posted:

Still preferable to other hobbies people did in Star Trek like when LaForge created the holodeck sim of the girl who refused to go out with him.

Total writer self insert that one

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

etalian posted:

I loved how that one Episode had "Space Tinder"

I'm sure Julie Mao got lots of Swipes due to having photos her doing space kung fu and flying
her space hotrod ship

about me:
Former heiress now devoted to waging war and revolution against corrupt inners.
Training in Space Kung Fu 3 to 5 times each week

lol you know space-antifa was slaying on space-tinder

Mister Speaker posted:

Amos Burton

Amos Hurtin'

Amos Assertin'

Amos Uncertain

Amos Squirtin'

:awesome:

etalian posted:

Space TMZ: You'll never guess why the CHIEF ENGINEER of Starfleet's FLAGSHIP has been CANCELLED (contains paid advertisements)

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I wasn't reading this thread when Alex/Cas Anvar got cancelled.
I was legit bummed when he died in the show and even more bummed when I found out how Cas Anvar was treating the lady folk in real life.
Just a real bummer all around.
Did they kill him off on the show because of his behavior or was that written before it was known he was a sex pest?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The former, he's alive in the books

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Azhais posted:

The former, he's alive in the books

Yeah, like there are set photos of him in the final episodes in scenes where he died in the final cut

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I'd like to think that Cas Anvar found out Alex died when we did.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'm guessing they just cut him off considering his death was a still frame with some CGI on it.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Cojawfee posted:

I'm guessing they just cut him off considering his death was a still frame with some CGI on it.

Yah, I'd like to think he was watching it with lovely supportive friends and thinking "they'll call me back for season 6" then saw his likeness digitally flatline.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I'd like to think that Cas Anvar found out Alex died when we did.

he got Poochied. i bet it hurt to watch.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I barely noticed that he'd died until the internet told me

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

idk if it's real but it could be real

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Someone edit it so he disappears in that chair upwards off screen as poorly as possible.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Mu Zeta posted:

idk if it's real but it could be real

Yes, afaik this is the original take. They didn't edit him out, they just asked everyone except for him to come back and reshot it.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

etalian posted:

In the grim dark future there's no escape from dating apps

Delightingale is a cute name.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Carbon dioxide posted:

Yes, afaik this is the original take. They didn't edit him out, they just asked everyone except for him to come back and reshot it.

I don't think they did reshoot it. That chair is conspicuously placed throughout the scene just empty, and there's a moment where Amos and Alex walk past in the background but its just their torsos.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
People are in different places compared to where they are in the actual episode.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lol that that scene's all "we are a family, nothing will ever tear us apart"

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Data Graham posted:

Lol that that scene's all "we are a family, nothing will ever tear us apart"

Except the creepy uncle, we don't talk about him.

Okay, so I started playing Dues Ex and i cannot not hear the guy from season 1 every time the main character talks.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

twistedmentat posted:

Okay, so I started playing Dues Ex and i cannot not hear the guy from season 1 every time the main character talks.
Would you say that you didn't ask for this?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

twistedmentat posted:

:lol: yeah he's in lots of stuff and has a very recognizable voice

fun fact: it's been almost as long between Deus Ex: Human Revolution and now as it was between the original Deus Ex and DX:HR! :corsair:

fakedit: still a banger of a trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kq5KWLqUewc

unfake edit: Night City is the hub I always wanted for a Deus Ex game...

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I loved seeing Elias Toufexis in S1 of the show because I really only know him as Adam Jensen and I still find it hard to believe that that's his actual voice, not some rasp he put on to make Adam seem all the more gritty.

That voice comes out of that guy? gently caress off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It's a little unfortunate because he is great but also the voice is so distinctive I can only think of him as Jensen.