Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bradburypancakes
Sep 9, 2014

hmm. hmmmmmmmm
Watching Dersu Uzala for the first time. This movie is sad as gently caress!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirsute
May 4, 2007

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Threw on my new bluray of Matewan last night and, man, it was like I'd never seen it before. The transfer is a revelation. The cinematography is pretty much perfect, and the myriad great performances are that much more emotionally potent. There's nothing like it.

Yeah I blind-bought Matewan a whole ago and loved it! Make for a good double feature with Harlan County USA (another Criterion title)

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I just watched Tongues Untied for a film crit class and it was amazing, I’m now very interested in that Riggs set

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
my wkw box just came in and it’s a beaut

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Just wants to say "thanks" to the thread for talking up Nashville. Finally got a chance to watch it tonight, and hot drat it's great.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe
Memories of Murder needs. more. green!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Bong let WKW do the transfer

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
What is this, the Matrix?!

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
honestly this just reminds me of my parents old zenith that had real hosed up color.

i didnt realize what the colors were supposed to actually look like until i was like 13

its fine because my favorite movie was the crow

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Chris Knight posted:

Just wants to say "thanks" to the thread for talking up Nashville. Finally got a chance to watch it tonight, and hot drat it's great.

What other Altman films have you seen? If you loved Nashville then you probably should grab McCabe & Mrs. Miller and Short Cuts, at the very least.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

What other Altman films have you seen? If you loved Nashville then you probably should grab McCabe & Mrs. Miller and Short Cuts, at the very least.

Yeah, immediately watch McCabe & Mrs. Miller next to see him do something different, and then maybe M*A*S*H to see an in-between of M&MM and Nashville.

I still need to see Short Cuts. I also have his film Images, which I haven't watched yet, and The Player has been taunting me on Criterion Channel for a while now.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Short Cuts was another case of "this doesn't seem like the kind of subject matter that would interest me", but because I'd learned my lesson on that with Nashville, I blind-bought it which was a very good decision.

The real through-line in the majority of Altman's films is how immersive and complete they are in terms of the world he creates. So while the subjects couldn't be more different in films like McCabe & Mrs. Miller/Nashville/The Long Goodbye/The Player/Short Cuts, you know that Altman is going to transport you to a fully fleshed out world that you can't possibly experience fully on first viewing. It's all encompassing in a way that even very highly regarded filmmakers like P.T Anderson haven't quite been able to replicate. Like, since discovering Altman I've had a hard time going back to something like Magnolia because it feels like a half-strength Altman and I'd rather just experience full-Altman.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Basebf555 posted:

I've seen a handful over the years, so he's not completely unknown to me. But yeah there's a slew I haven't seen yet.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Steen71 posted:

Memories of Murder needs. more. green!

the bottom is apparently closer to the original look of the theatrical release

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Parallax posted:

the bottom is apparently closer to the original look of the theatrical release

I don't believe that for a second. In 2009 I watched a 35mm print of MoM. I was pretty obsessed with the film and had already watched it nine times on DVD before that*. I did not notice that the print looked radically different from the DVD. I'm pretty sure it still had, you know, colours - other than green.

This is probably just a case of director revisionism like we've seen so many times before.

* I've kept a list of my movie-watching since August of 2004.
e: 5000+

Steen71 fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Mar 29, 2021

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Is the entire movie green or just that scene?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Vince MechMahon posted:

Is the entire movie green or just that scene?

The entire movie looks more green.

I've only seen it on streaming, last year when it was on Criterion Channel. As much as I'd like to make fun of someone trusting their memory of a movie they saw in theaters 12 years ago, going from this:

to this

is very noticeable. It was supervised by the original cinematographer and approved by Bong Joon-Ho, but still.

This is pretty:

This is seasick:

Source, but be warned, a lot of the screen grabs could be spoilery. http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film9/blu-ray_review_136/memories_of_murder_blu-ray.htm

I'm still gonna get it, because it's the only way to own the movie nowadays, but it's a bit frustrating. I thought films had finally bucked the boring blue/green/yellow colorization and they just keep happening.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Cinematographer Kim Hyung Ku came to my film school and did a talk about Memories of Murder where he showed clips from his personal copy of it and it matches the Criterion. Old trailers of MoM also match the Criterion color grade.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

In the new restored Chungking Express in the scene where Tony Leung gets handed his ex-gf note from Faye Wong instead of the sound of an airplane leaving over the slow motion footage now you have Faye Wong's Dreams cover blaring out.

lol

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

VoodooXT posted:

Cinematographer Kim Hyung Ku came to my film school and did a talk about Memories of Murder where he showed clips from his personal copy of it and it matches the Criterion. Old trailers of MoM also match the Criterion color grade.

I looked up older trailers and they do look darker and greener.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

As much as I'd like to make fun of someone trusting their memory of a movie they saw in theaters 12 years ago

But I don't claim that. I DO claim that I think I'd have noticed the 35mm print looking radically different from a movie I'd watched twice a year for the previous five years.

The idea that they remembered to colour correct the trailer but forgot to colour correct the film on DVD and the original blu-ray is... Well, it's one way of looking at it. But no matter what: Bong Joon-ho's idea of what the movie should look like now is really loving ugly. I doubt I would have liked the movie nearly as much if it had always looked like this.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Electronico6 posted:

In the new restored Chungking Express in the scene where Tony Leung gets handed his ex-gf note from Faye Wong instead of the sound of an airplane leaving over the slow motion footage now you have Faye Wong's Dreams cover blaring out.

lol
Fixed WKW box when

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Chris Knight posted:

Fixed WKW box when

This is the official, director approved version, unfortunately.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
I wonder what Christopher Doyle and Lee Ping Bin have to say about the new color grades.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Electronico6 posted:

lol

Should have gotten another California Dreamin’ in imo

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

the Faye Wong song rules

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Doyle did say that ITMFL was suppose to be greener, and that the only home release that had the correct color correction was a japanese dvd one.

As for the rest I'm not sure. Only As Tears go By and 2046 are completely unchanged, besides having new graphics for the end credits. I think Days of Being Wild has also gotten a bit extra green.

Chungking Express, Fallen Angels, Happy Together, and ITMFL have all had color corrections, and ratio changes(though not HP). Fallen Angels being the most extreme one, to the point where I'm confident in saying it's not even the same film.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

the Faye Wong song rules

It does, but it doesn't really fit the scene.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
California Split and 3 Women are my two favourite Altman's, after Nashville, of the ones that I have seen.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

wong box is the nicest piece of physical media i've ever laid my hands on

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

wong box is the nicest piece of physical media i've ever laid my hands on

It's complete trash. The latch is made of cardboard and is going to peel very quickly, ruining the inside and outside art, and the fold out is as long as the alien DVD set from back in the day, meaning when unfolded, is longer than my coffee table. Between the cheap, poorly thought out box and the dumbass changes to the films, this is maybe the worst criterion release I own.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

i absolutely love it

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

The Fellini and Bergman sets are the two best sets I own. Arrow's Hellraiser scarlet box and Phantasm set come close.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Vince MechMahon posted:

It's complete trash. The latch is made of cardboard and is going to peel very quickly, ruining the inside and outside art, and the fold out is as long as the alien DVD set from back in the day, meaning when unfolded, is longer than my coffee table. Between the cheap, poorly thought out box and the dumbass changes to the films, this is maybe the worst criterion release I own.

I dunno man I think mine is pretty nice

Box of Frogs
Feb 12, 2012
I, too, completely unfold my entire box set to watch one movie

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Box of Frogs posted:

I, too, completely unfold my entire box set to watch one movie

If you need to get to any movie but the inner most two, I'd love to see what trick you use to not unfold it. Fold out poo poo sucks.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

oh man, the trials and tribulations of a movie-watcher

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So I've been trying every day to find a new copy of Criterion's blu-ray of In A Lonely Place, which has been unavailable for quite a while. It's probably not gonna stay in print much longer. However, Deep Discount just got new copies available to purchase on their website and through Amazon. It's a classic noir with excellent performances by Bogart and Gloria Grahame.

DVD copies are easy to come by, if you're happy with that quality.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

What’s something streaming on the CC right now that has Lone Wolf and Cub energy for this lovely Friday night?

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007

Kart Barfunkel posted:

What’s something streaming on the CC right now that has Lone Wolf and Cub energy for this lovely Friday night?

Lady Snowblood or The Sword of Doom, for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Zatoichi movies too, especially once they hit the late 60s/early 70s.