Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I just got an email saying that my Hunky Boy is on it's way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Franchescanado posted:

Grindhouse Videos Easter Carnage Sale. Arrow Video releases up to 60% off, including 4k UHDs like Tremors and Pitch Black. USA region.

Bought Tremors. Been waiting, don't care if a better deal ends up showing up somewhere else, happy to help a non-corporate video source.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Would Grindhouse send you the North American versions of those Arrow releases (if they exist)? I'd buy a few but I don't want to get them and find out they're all region B.

I don't buy enough region B releases to make a $150 region free player worth it.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

King Vidiot posted:

Would Grindhouse send you the North American versions of those Arrow releases (if they exist)? I'd buy a few but I don't want to get them and find out they're all region B.

I don't buy enough region B releases to make a $150 region free player worth it.

Grindhouse is the US distributor for Arrow. Also UHDs have no regions, if you're considering any, but definitely Region 1 content for Blu-Ray. OK, at least to my knowledge but I'm 99% sure.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
the last time i really cared about physical media was around when blu ray first came out- i had both BRs and HD DVDs and had SERIOUS opinions

(still think HDDVD was better at the time, but now it seems like it was doomed from the first step. i didnt realize neither did anything for me since i only had a 720p tv)

had all my blu rays in boxes as many moves and two kids limited storage space, but recently bought a house and a new tv and surround soundbar. about halfway through quarantine i redboxed tenet since i didnt want to pay 20 bucks for a stream, and realized oh gently caress physical looks and sounds so much better! had never even considered that!

and just like that dad is back in the fold. I just got a PS5 and am very excited to get into 4K Blu Rays. it is awesome to see that there are a bunch of new distributors doing criterion level poo poo even with crazy genre films. just learned of the existence of vinegar syndrome and that it is based in bridgeport ct of all places, about an hour from me. I'm going to go by their shop sometime it looks like a old school sex shop from the outside.

threw out all of my normal BR boxes and put everything non-criterion in a 400 disc binder. still saved my full criterion collection, but due to aforementioned kids and space that shelf is in the basement.

it also rules that sites like blu-ray.com and dvd beaver look exactly like they did a decade ago

John Romero fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Mar 30, 2021

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

King Vidiot posted:

A lot of Arrow releases that have region B on the packaging actually work in all regions. Blu-ray.com checks that stuff a lot, otherwise you can just skim one of the message board threads below the review because those nerds will talk about everything there possibly could be said about any given release.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

John Romero posted:

it also rules that sites like blu-ray.com and dvd beaver look exactly like they did a decade ago

DVDBeaver is the most unusable website to ever gain popularity.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Spatulater bro! posted:

DVDBeaver is the most unusable website to ever gain popularity.

They also seem to be a bunch of fancy pants losers who avoid most genre movies like the plague and more mainstream fare.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
If any of you all who don't already own the movie don't buy the Society steel case for $13 from Grindhouse, I mean, what are you even doing with your life?

Do you not enjoy the thrill of the hunt, or the taste of the shunt?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Is this Arrow release of Deep Red the best cut of the film? https://arrowfilms.com/product-detail/deep-red-blu-ray/FCD1320

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Spatulater bro! posted:

Is this Arrow release of Deep Red the best cut of the film? https://arrowfilms.com/product-detail/deep-red-blu-ray/FCD1320

I think yes? It’s what I have and it’s gorgeous and the supplements rule and has a whole video essay about the differences and importance of the uncut version.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Anybody think the 90s Batman films are worth the 4K discs? I know they all are varying levels of good but I have a soft spot for them

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Tim Whatley posted:

Anybody think the 90s Batman films are worth the 4K discs? I know they all are varying levels of good but I have a soft spot for them

They are excellent releases.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
For sure if you have a soft spot for Batman Forever and Batman & Robin, the set is totally worth it because all four films look amazing.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Iron Crowned posted:

I just got an email saying that my Hunky Boy is on it's way

I got mine today. As an impulse purchase based solely on the packaging I'm very satisfied, the case even has a more family friendly synopsis than the slip cover does. My friends are all interested in the trading cards :c00l:

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

If you trade the cards no take backs

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Tim Whatley posted:

Be aware that the new sound effects are... divisive. I think they're terrible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkgLzxiaUA4&t=340s

Not fond of the colour scheme either.

Steen71 fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Mar 31, 2021

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Cacator posted:

I got mine today. As an impulse purchase based solely on the packaging I'm very satisfied, the case even has a more family friendly synopsis than the slip cover does. My friends are all interested in the trading cards :c00l:

The Luke card makes me laugh.

I can’t wait for the hunky boys. But they’re 12 days our. :(

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Steen71 posted:

Be aware that the new sound effects are... divisive. I think they're terrible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkgLzxiaUA4&t=340s

Not fond of the colour scheme either.

I can see loving w the visual aspect of a film or whatever for a release, it’s been done a lot and I don’t really like it but whatever. But changing the SFX?? WTF!?

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Boywhiz88 posted:

I can see loving w the visual aspect of a film or whatever for a release, it’s been done a lot and I don’t really like it but whatever. But changing the SFX?? WTF!?

Well, they remixed the film into Dolby Atmos. So it's a completely different sound mix with different levels. And that's pretty common for films.

Take Jaws. They fixed it a little bit, but if you compare the mono and surround mixes for when Jaws crashes through the boat - in mono it's loud and visceral, in stereo it sounds like Jaws breaking a glass.

Some remixes are done more carefully than others. Some remixes run into issues with the original sound effects stems not being available anymore. Some are done to meet a studio executive's idea of exciting.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Cemetry Gator posted:

Well, they remixed the film into Dolby Atmos. So it's a completely different sound mix with different levels. And that's pretty common for films.

Take Jaws. They fixed it a little bit, but if you compare the mono and surround mixes for when Jaws crashes through the boat - in mono it's loud and visceral, in stereo it sounds like Jaws breaking a glass.

Some remixes are done more carefully than others. Some remixes run into issues with the original sound effects stems not being available anymore. Some are done to meet a studio executive's idea of exciting.

This is a pretty good reason to listen to whatever the original mix was for a film. I've been doing that when I can lately, but I never had a good way to explain it. I guess it's a bit like colorization.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Just wanted to say that I got around to watching Alien on UHD, and it's stunning. I've watched a couple different UHDs so far that looked great, but this is the first that really wowed me

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I watched The Shining on UHD yesterday and the clarity and sound design is wonderful. The textures of all the clothes and carpet really popped.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Honestly I'd put Alien, The Shining, and 2001 in the top tier of 4K movies

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
No surprise of course that the way Ridley Scott made movies would translate extremely well to the UHD format, but Blade Runner is also a top-tier UHD. When you put that much detail into production design then more clarity and texture is always going to be a benefit.

I watched The Ten Commandments last night and it's probably one of the best uses of HDR/Dolby Vision I've seen because it's just a 4 hour parade of ridiculously colorful and detailed costumes.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

The opening credit sequence of The Shining w/ those helicopter shots is my go-to for the format. When they fly across the lake, just wow.

Cemetry Gator posted:

So does this mean listening to a "classic" 5.1 or stereo mix on the disc would presumably have the old effects?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Boywhiz88 posted:

The opening credit sequence of The Shining w/ those helicopter shots is my go-to for the format. When they fly across the lake, just wow.

Someone (I think Basebf555?) on the forums said that the best 4k UHD and HDR/Dolby Vision gives the film a 3D-ish look, but with the illusion of depth, and that was absolutely true of the opening sequence. Gave me goosebumps!

Also the details of The Gold Room were great. I also finally noticed a joke for the first time: when Grady spills the drinks all over Jack, Jack says "You didn't get any on you yourself." Then he gives him a friendly slap on the back, leaving a handprint of cocktail/juice on Grady.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Mar 31, 2021

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Iron Crowned posted:

Honestly I'd put Alien, The Shining, and 2001 in the top tier of 4K movies

I’m saving ‘Alien’ for this year’s Alien Day, but I need to get off my rear end and watch my 2001 4K.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
John Wick 1-3 UHD: CL2FFMWYNLVEY3E6

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

John Wick 1-3 UHD: CL2FFMWYNLVEY3E6

Thank you. I've been wanting to watch John Wick 3.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Detective No. 27 posted:

Thank you. I've been wanting to watch John Wick 3.

You have served.

You will be of service.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I just watched all 3 John Wick movies on UHD. Those movies are such a blast.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Boywhiz88 posted:

So does this mean listening to a "classic" 5.1 or stereo mix on the disc would presumably have the old effects?

If you are talking about Batman, then no. It doesn't have the old sound mix (which is really stupid since it could easily have been included).

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I really don't understand why blu-rays of older movies don't include the original sound mixes if those movies were originally made in mono or stereo. Is it harder for them to include that stuff or do they just think no one will want that because it's "old and outdated"? At least boutique labels usually don't usually do this. That Batman 4K disc looks and sounds like poo poo.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Is it because people don't know or care about alternate audio tracks on movies?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

wa27 posted:

I think it's a combination of that and boomers, its always boomers

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That Batman 4k is disgusting.

The gun pews are legit my favorite thing in that movie

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

People probably don't feel like they're getting full use out of their expensive surround sound equipment when they watch a movie with a mono or stereo track. It's not unlike the "I want the movie to fill my WHOLE tv!" sentiment with proper aspect ratios.

tl:dr: boomers

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

That Batman 4k is disgusting.

The gun pews are legit my favorite thing in that movie

The sound effects in that movie make it seem more comic booky and that particular scene is where it's most prominent so yeah, they hosed it up. The miniguns on the Batwing sound like they've been re-recorded.

wa27 posted:

I agree with this but technically the 5.1 or 7.1 soundtracks are the alternate audio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Criterion tends to offer mono tracks on movies that were shot that way.