Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Silly Burrito posted:

Anyone have a Sonos Arc? Looking at different soundboard and it seems to get high praise even though it's expensive.

(If there is a sound thread just let me know)

Getting your first home audio system? Read this.

Comedy option: Ridicule Audiophiles - Find the cat poo poo's resonant frequency

Inspiration: Post your AV set-up

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Mar 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Silly Burrito posted:

Anyone have a Sonos Arc? Looking at different soundboard and it seems to get high praise even though it's expensive.

(If there is a sound thread just let me know)

I have a Beam, Sub and two One SLs in large my living room setup and it fuckin bangs. I can only imagine the Arc. One of these days

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Much thanks!

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I have a Beam, Sub and two One SLs in large my living room setup and it fuckin bangs. I can only imagine the Arc. One of these days…

Yeah, swap the Beam for the Arc and that's what I see as recommended if you can afford it.

I know receivers are supposed to be better but I've went through three sets of receivers/speakers and I'm curious as to how good a Dolby Atmos sound bar can sound nowadays.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

I got a 65" LG CX. Any idiots guide for what I do now that I have it plugged in and running? I assume I need to some color calibration or settings adjustments. Looks awesome so far with the PS5 though.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
If it looks awesome then you don't need to do anything. Enjoy your TV :cheers:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Nah reserve that thread for laughing at legit audiophiles. Too many people have turned it into a gear advice thread despite ones already existing. Its ok to post your carpet there, though.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

EL BROMANCE posted:

Too many people have turned it into a gear advice thread despite ones already existing.

:stare:

You mean they've forgotten its origins?
http://www.machinadynamica.com/machina31.htm
https://www.thecableco.com/accessories/cable-lifts.html
https://hothardware.com/news/10000-ethernet-cable-claims-earth-shattering-advancement-in-audio-fidelity-if-youre-stupid-enough-to-buy-it

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Mar 21, 2021

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

gay_crimes posted:

I got a 65" LG CX. Any idiots guide for what I do now that I have it plugged in and running? I assume I need to some color calibration or settings adjustments. Looks awesome so far with the PS5 though.

rtings usually has recommended settings for everything they review. I think I followed like 85% of what they recommended for my Sony X900F.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Aw yeah thats the good stuff

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Is the TCL 6 series still a good go to "dont break the bank" 4k TV? I am looking at their 65 inch. Can't spring for the LG, and it seems like while the 8 series maybe has a better panel it has less of the HDMI 2.1 spec?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I just bought a 55 6-series on Amazon today from the link further up. Seems to be a great bedroom TV. Probably overkill really. I also looked into the Hisense H9G but the feature set didnt seem to be as good as the TCL 6 despite similar prices.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Yeah we are looking for a genera everyday main TV. We mostly use streaming service like Netflix and Disney plus. Occasionally I will play a downloaded movie from my NAS using Kodi. I have a Switch but thats about it for video games. Trying to stay under about 1500 and would love to be at 65 or so inch screen size. It is also in a basement so light isnt a big issue.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Its what I'm planning on my replacing my 850E with once the warranty comes through. VRR was the big selling point for me.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Now that the LG G1 reviews are coming out I'm thinking of waiting to get a 65" G1.

A 77" CX for essentially $2800 seems like such a good deal though :(

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Do we know when the LG G1s are going to be available in the US? I just moved and the idea of putting up my old TV and sound system just to replace it all sounds not fun. I've got a good mishmash of speakers and a receiver, but I want to replace it all with Sonos stuff just to simplify, but the Sonos stuff won't work with my current TV or receiver.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Looking at stuff I kinda think Im just going to get the 65 inch TCL 6 series. Seems to line up with all we do.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

KKKLIP ART posted:

Looking at stuff I kinda think Im just going to get the 65 inch TCL 6 series. Seems to line up with all we do.

is good tv you will enjoy

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I'm thinking about getting this cheap and cheerful TV for the bedroom (43" version): https://www.amazon.co.uk/JVC-Fire-Smart-Full-LED/dp/B08N1CVJSX/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=tv&qid=1616527158&sr=8-3&th=1

The specs says 50/60hz for refresh rate and I don't know what that means? Is the 40" version 50hz and the 43" version 60hz? Does it have a 50hz mode and a 60hz mode?

Help?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It likely has both modes. 60hz for North America, 50hz for Europe.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I'm in the UK, I'm assuming the 50hz would be for TV broadcast and it would do 60hz over HDMI?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Moola posted:

I'm in the UK, I'm assuming the 50hz would be for TV broadcast and it would do 60hz over HDMI?

It's quite rare for any remotely modern display to not support all worldwide broadcast modes including 25, 30, 50, and 60 Hz. Most TVs with even a hint of home theater intent also support 24 Hz and supporting 120 Hz inputs for gaming is slowly working its way down the model heirarchies.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, even most 60hz displays now will "downclock" to 48hz or 24hz to display 24fps material at the proper cadence. I know my north american LG C6 handles 24fps and 50fps material natively without issue as well.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

LG 65" GX plus Atmos Soundbar - $2,400 shipped with code, at BuyDig - free account required.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

LG 65" GX plus Atmos Soundbar - $2,400 shipped with code, at BuyDig - free account required.

This seems like a good deal. I wish I had 2400 lying around

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Does anyone know why VLC on my AppleTV seems to trigger my LG's screen saver every few minutes?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Thought I was future proofed with my NR676 I got a few years ago, now realizing if I'm upgrading to a 120hz native 4k TV with VRR then I'll need something with HDMI 2.1 passthrough. poo poo.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

codo27 posted:

Thought I was future proofed with my NR676 I got a few years ago, now realizing if I'm upgrading to a 120hz native 4k TV with VRR then I'll need something with HDMI 2.1 passthrough. poo poo.

Ive resigned myself to just sending audio to my old receiver when I eventually get something this year.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I suppose really atm all I have are the Shield, XSX & PS3. So I can plug that much directly into the TV. God what a loving mess of cables that would be though. Definitely better off spending 2 grand on a new Marantz.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Yeah, I just don't see the point in investing serious cash on a new receiver until they get the chipset stuff sorted out. I'm still rocking a NR609 from like 2011.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Pham Nuwen posted:

Is this the TCL 535 55" you're talking about? https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-55-class-5-series-qled-4k-uhd-smart-roku-tv/6422766.p?skuId=6422766

At least for the store local to my in-laws, it's showing as $480, which seems pretty drat good.

Do you recommend Roku, or Android? As someone who has worked on the Android OS in the past, and who owns an Android phone, and who keeps an eye on computing news... well, I don't really relish the idea of running Android on my TV, but if it's the better of the two options, that's fine.

They went with the 535 65" and god drat it's nice. I'm liking Roku so far, although I may spend some time playing with my packet captures and DNS logs to see just how much this thing is spying on me :v:

Really makes the poo poo quality on some Amazon Prime shows stand out, though.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

codo27 posted:

This is now why I have a 65" LG B8 as my bedroom tv.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Anyone use deco gear products? Found a deal for a 77 inch cx that bundles with a deco soundbar and some other stuff (mount, surge protector, cables).

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Kingtheninja posted:

Anyone use deco gear products? Found a deal for a 77 inch cx that bundles with a deco soundbar and some other stuff (mount, surge protector, cables).
Never heard of them but it looks like installer grade crap, their website features at-home baskeball hoops and soda fridges and their main retailers are Amazon and Home Depot. Get a soundbar from an audio company.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Just got my TCL 6 from Amazon and holy poo poo this Roku remote has volume buttons on the side. In the first 20 mins of setting it up, I can't even count how many times I've muted or changed the volume. What a truly awful remote design.
:sad:

TV seems fine other than that though! Power cable is a bit short though.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

wow, big Hank Z endorses TCL televisions!!!!

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Just got my TCL 6 from Amazon and holy poo poo this Roku remote has volume buttons on the side. In the first 20 mins of setting it up, I can't even count how many times I've muted or changed the volume. What a truly awful remote design.
:sad:

TV seems fine other than that though! Power cable is a bit short though.

Yeah the volume buttons suck poo poo, and the remote as a whole is pretty cheap. I guess I prefer corners cut on the remote instead of elsewhere, but I'm already wondering about third-party remotes.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I got the Sofabaton, it's firmly OK. My main complaint is clicky buttons.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Pham Nuwen posted:

Yeah the volume buttons suck poo poo, and the remote as a whole is pretty cheap. I guess I prefer corners cut on the remote instead of elsewhere, but I'm already wondering about third-party remotes.

Yeah fair point. Im gonna slap an ATV on the back of this thing so the remote will be a moot point anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

qirex posted:

I got the Sofabaton, it's firmly OK. My main complaint is clicky buttons.

Look what those motherfuckers did on their Roku version: