Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib

Shellception posted:

poo poo, this looks pretty as hell. Lovely celluloid there. A great catch! Don't worry about the dirtyness, that's what pens were built to withstand. As long as everything is in place, new sac and a good cleaning are easy.

I really want to be employed again so I can chase some old pens. Oh well.

Got that one all cleaned out and re-saced. Now it's resting with its friends!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Queadlunn posted:

Got that one all cleaned out and re-saced. Now it's resting with its friends!

Can you tell me what #5 from the left (the one that looks kinda like pewter) and what the last one on the right are?

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Mountains rise and fall, and under them the Turtle swims onward. Men live and die, and the Turtle Moves. Empires grow and crumble, and the Turtle Moves. Gods come and go, and still the Turtle Moves.

The Turtle Moves.

bulletsponge13 posted:

Can you tell me what #5 from the left (the one that looks kinda like pewter) and what the last one on the right are?

#5 looks like a Waterman or similar black hard rubber pen with a silver overlay. Those were a thing around the 20's and 30's - either the makers themselves would make them, or some jewellers would buy a shipment of everyday pens and cover them in gold or silver metallic coats for a premium. Some are solid or filigreed and some are intrincate patterns, the one in the photo looks like the latter.

They are a thing of before celluloid was employed - back then your hard rubber pen color choices were black (turning into olive green with time), bright orange or a mix of the two called "woodgrain". People looking to spruce up their pens turned to gold and silver. Then celluloid happened and they were all over the shiny colors and patterns instead.

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib

bulletsponge13 posted:

Shellception posted:

#5 looks like a Waterman or similar black hard rubber pen with a silver overlay. Those were a thing around the 20's and 30's - either the makers themselves would make them, or some jewellers would buy a shipment of everyday pens and cover them in gold or silver metallic coats for a premium. Some are solid or filigreed and some are intrincate patterns, the one in the photo looks like the latter.

They are a thing of before celluloid was employed - back then your hard rubber pen color choices were black (turning into olive green with time), bright orange or a mix of the two called "woodgrain". People looking to spruce up their pens turned to gold and silver. Then celluloid happened and they were all over the shiny colors and patterns instead.

Yeah, it's a 'WATERMAN 452 1/2 V STERLING FILIGREE RINGTOP'. Restored that one last year.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Mountains rise and fall, and under them the Turtle swims onward. Men live and die, and the Turtle Moves. Empires grow and crumble, and the Turtle Moves. Gods come and go, and still the Turtle Moves.

The Turtle Moves.

Queadlunn posted:

Yeah, it's a 'WATERMAN 452 1/2 V STERLING FILIGREE RINGTOP'. Restored that one last year.

Oh, a ringtop. I have always liked the theory behind them, which is more or less "women won't have pocket vests to carry their expensive pens, better make them with a ring so they can use a chain to carry them around their necks" (which is why they are usually smaller and slimmer). I am a woman and I have no goddamn idea how that worked or how it would be comfortable at all to carry what amounts to an inkwell swinging around your neck and hitting things. But they were A Thing, so I suppose they managed to.

Shellception fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Mar 29, 2021

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Standing room only on the Disco Bus
Fun Shoe

Shellception posted:

Oh, a ringtop. I have always liked the theory behind them, which is more or less "women won't have pocket vests to carry their expensive pens, better make them with a ring so they can use a chain to carry them around their necks" (which is why they are usually smaller and slimmer). I am a woman and I have no goddamn idea how that worked or how it would be comfortable at all to carry what amounts to an inkwell swinging around your neck and hitting things. But they were A Thing, so I suppose they managed to.

Some pens were made to be hung from a chatelaine around the waist, though I think those were starting to go out of style as fountain pens were becoming more popular. No fountain pens here but this gives you an idea of what might be dangling off a woman in the 19th century: https://www.collectorsweekly.com/articles/the-killer-mobile-device-for-victorian-women/

If you do an image search for chatelaine pens you'll find a whole bunch that have more intricate attachment points than simple ringtops. They seem to be consistently older (based on the other features) than ringtops.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

The Turtle Moves.

Dad Hominem posted:

Some pens were made to be hung from a chatelaine around the waist, though I think those were starting to go out of style as fountain pens were becoming more popular. No fountain pens here but this gives you an idea of what might be dangling off a woman in the 19th century: https://www.collectorsweekly.com/articles/the-killer-mobile-device-for-victorian-women/

If you do an image search for chatelaine pens you'll find a whole bunch that have more intricate attachment points than simple ringtops. They seem to be consistently older (based on the other features) than ringtops.

Haha, didn't know about those, neat! I can see the utility of having everything on hand when wearing a dress, and some look cool as hell. Some of those probably made you as heavy and musical as a church bell, tho. Nurses seem like the smarter part in there, you have to wear a big flowing dress anyway so why not just have your scissors and everything else always on hand?

I am not sure how they chronologically overlap with ringtop pens - but you are right, there are definitely some models that look like they were made to fit the aesthethic and probably were used in them. So not only did they carry an inktop around their necks, but also from their belts - what can go wrong with that?

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
I'm starting to accumulate...a lot of pens. I probably need to store these somewhere before I lose them one at a time. Anyone have recommendations on a decent ~10 pen case that won't kill my wallet? I'm a big fan of this one, but it's sold out at most places:
https://www.gouletpens.com/collections/pen-storage/products/girologio-12-zippered-pen-case-black

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
It's cute that you think 10 is a lot of pens.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Pixelante posted:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Meanwhile, I'm waiting for Wednesday to spring on the Draco, just got two more today (Ocean Blue and Graphite AL-Stars), and wouldn't mind a black Lamy with Heart of Darkness because why the hell not. Also debating getting an EF nib for my Vac Mini because holy gently caress 54th Mass is wet.

Also, Kon-Peki looks great in a medium Lamy nib. Lexington Gray is such a wet ink, that a medium Lamy nib makes it seriously look like a dull pencil that you should probably sharpen but :effort:

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

Pixelante posted:

I know..it's creeping up fast though, and I see the addiction coming through. When I collect stuff, I collect a LOT. My CC bill has been kinda nuts so I'm trying to stop it now by restricting myself to a small case. The Girologio seems like a winner though, so I might just wait until it gets back in stock.

I just kicked off a family journal at home to write down how the kids do day to day, so they can read about how we suffered through parenthood. It's actually quite nice reflecting on things like the weekend. I thought it'd be like a 10 minute writing session, but I ended up writing for an hour.

Fake edit:

iospace posted:

wouldn't mind a black Lamy
I just bought one a Safari in all black for a scalper price..it's the 2018 SE textured one, not the shiny nor charcoal.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Oh and I got my Field Notes notebooks.

Went for a walk, thought of two things I needed to remember, and when I pulled it out when I got home I'm all "yup, I need to share these" and life was good.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Bank posted:

I'm starting to accumulate...a lot of pens. I probably need to store these somewhere before I lose them one at a time. Anyone have recommendations on a decent ~10 pen case that won't kill my wallet? I'm a big fan of this one, but it's sold out at most places:
https://www.gouletpens.com/collections/pen-storage/products/girologio-12-zippered-pen-case-black

https://www.etsy.com/shop/Pentaloons

Taking a break but should be back soon. Quality cases and she's great to work with for custom products (like if you want a giant roll for all the pens, or your favorite colors, etc). I love mine!

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Bank posted:

Back when I was transporting pens around I used Aston leather's 10 pen case.

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Standing room only on the Disco Bus
Fun Shoe

effika posted:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/Pentaloons

Taking a break but should be back soon. Quality cases and she's great to work with for custom products (like if you want a giant roll for all the pens, or your favorite colors, etc). I love mine!

I also have a Pentaloons roll that's nice, but I find I don't really use big cases since I don't need to take too many pens around with me. 5 or 8 slots is enough for daily carry - most of the rest live in a 100-pen box from Toyooka Craft, and the remainder are scattered in various old cardboard boxes.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Pixelante posted:

new thread title

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

Bank posted:

Just get this in a different color. The oxblood is very nice and it's in stock. Girologio makes good stuff.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
I personally find that cases for art markers are well sized for storing fountain pens. The pretty leather stuff I save for pens I want to carry around somewhere.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

aldantefax posted:

new thread title

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Bank posted:

Oh man, why do you do this to me? I have been doing so well this year in not buying things that I do not need, considering last year I completely went overboard in pandemic induced retail therapy. And now you come with this. The only thing holding me back is that shipping to europe is an equal amount to the cost of the thing.
On the other hand, nice Italian leather cases can be bought here for attractive prices... I am open to links! (La Couronne did not have anything I liked)

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

Keetron posted:

Oh man, why do you do this to me? I have been doing so well this year in not buying things that I do not need, considering last year I completely went overboard in pandemic induced retail therapy. And now you come with this. The only thing holding me back is that shipping to europe is an equal amount to the cost of the thing.
On the other hand, nice Italian leather cases can be bought here for attractive prices... I am open to links! (La Couronne did not have anything I liked)

Buy a bigger one to make the shipping worthwhile?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Today is a good day. A red-letter day

I both received a Delta in the mail and purchased another Delta.

Hooray for Deltas!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

grack posted:

Today is a good day. A red-letter day

I both received a Delta in the mail and purchased another Delta.

Hooray for Deltas!

So your delta on Deltas is two? Or would you say one?

:dadjoke:

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
TWSBI Draco is out...at $150 USD

Says "very limited run" so I guess they are trying to push LE hard. I personally don't like the color, but even if I did, it's a steep price for TWSBI. Hope they don't lose their "value" roots.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Bank posted:

Says "very limited run" so I guess they are trying to push LE hard. I personally don't like the color, but even if I did, it's a steep price for TWSBI. Hope they don't lose their "value" roots.

Ugh, terrible.

I mean, do I order an F or an M?

edit: or are there nicer pens to buy for 150?

Keetron fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Mar 31, 2021

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Bank posted:

it could be an april fool's joke

I'll probably get the M

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

sb hermit posted:

it could be an april fool's joke

I'll probably get the M

https://www.gouletpens.com/products/twsbi-draco-fountain-pen-limited-edition?variant=39270145490987

Goulet is selling it so I'm obviously wrong

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

It will compliment the 580 Rose Gold so well...

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I like it. :colbert:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

The material has a vintage vibe that I dig, and for what you're getting 150 isn't a terrible price either. That's cheaper than comparable pen from Edison, Franklin-Cristoph, Leonardo or PenLux.

I just bought one in broad from Anderson Pens.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Keetron posted:

edit: or are there nicer pens to buy for 150?

If you look around enough, you can probably find a Rotring Newton or even a 600 for $150 on eBay and there's no point in owning any other pen after that because you already have the best.

e: oh dang i haven't looked in a while and they're like 2-3x that much now. Lol. Thank you dad for buying me one when I was in high school and they were still in production

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 31, 2021

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
Yeah, I mean to be clear it's not an outrageous price at all, I think I've just gotten so used to getting cheap pens from TWSBI it's a bit of a sticker shock. I'm sure the quality is fantastic.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

(according to Goulet) They don't want you to post with the pen because the cap might scratch it. Post for life. I'll have to pass.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

sb hermit posted:

(according to Goulet) They don't want you to post with the pen because the cap might scratch it. Post for life. I'll have to pass.

Yeah, I never post pens, it makes them feel unbalanced for me.

Ah, I know the solution to not buying this pen now! I am going to ask my favorite pen store if they expect any shipment and if they do, I'll buy one from them as I love them and hope the markup is not that bad.

---

e: oops

Keetron fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Mar 31, 2021

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Never post: good advice for pens and social media.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Dang, that looks cool but I don't really care for rose gold. I don't really post my pens either, but the fact that they explicitly advise against doing it is also a little suspect

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

howe_sam posted:

Never post: good advice for pens and social media.

:justpost:

(nah never post pens, but post on the forums forever)

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Whatever I got one.

And Black Swan in Australian Roses for it because yup, red and black ink in a red and black pen.

:shepspends:

(if they bring back the Iris my wallet is going to die)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

iospace posted:

(if they bring back the Iris my wallet is going to die)

I heard it's coming back at the end of April.

I love my 580 ALR but the nib is EF which I've found is too fine. I've been trying to find it in F/M but they're practically sold out everywhere, and are $20 a pop. Might as well pay $60 for an entire pen in another color..