Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

newershadow
May 18, 2014
Since there’s an organized play event in two+ weeks, it’s time for some nerfs:
https://www.direwolfdigital.com/news/3-10-live-balance-update/

Nerfs
Bring to Justice – Now 1JJJ (was 0JJJ)

Winchest Merchant – Now 2/2 (was 2/3)

Krull, Xumuc Occultist – Now SS: When Krull damages a player, play a unit from their void with cost less than or equal to the damage dealt (previously no influence requirement)

So at long last, no more splashing Krull without S influence.

There are some buffs as well but I don’t know if any matter all that much. Gren can now block which I guess means it’s easier for him to die, but he still costs 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Triumphant Stranger giving value at end of turn instead of needing to untap with it ... probably still isn't going to bring back the set 2 Strangers meta, but it is a nice improvement.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
He's fun when he comes out of the site in a Feln mill deck.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Jesus expedition is so loving bad right now. Every game is just a massive blow out. Either you have the nuts or your opponent does, with very little in between

newershadow
May 18, 2014
New mini-set coming next week, three days before the Throne Open:
https://www.direwolfdigital.com/news/stormbreak/

The sentinel and spell both look useful, at least.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Grenahen is a real good card. Dunno if this list is the best version or if the even one is better but I love all the little synergies available with the deck. Grand Builder is also surprisingly playable.

FORMAT:Throne
1 Seek Power (Set1 #408)
4 Transpose (Set8 #89)
2 Backlash (Set1 #200)
3 Exploit (Set10 #73)
4 Grenahen (Set1107 #20)
2 Ice Bolt (Set6 #151)
4 At Any Cost (Set9 #155)
3 Desecrate (Set1005 #17)
3 Hailstorm (Set1003 #11)
4 Wisdom of the Elders (Set1 #218)
4 Forbidden Research (Set9 #132)
3 Grand Builder (Set1107 #21)
4 Stealth Strike (Set9 #135)
3 Vara, Vengeance-Seeker (Set1004 #19)
3 Prodigious Sorcery (Set7 #115)
3 Icaria, First Reaper (Set1087 #11)
1 Primal Sigil (Set1 #187)
4 Shadow Sigil (Set1 #249)
4 Shadow Symbol (Set9 #145)
4 Crest of Cunning (Set3 #267)
4 Feln Banner (Set1 #417)
4 Feln Insignia (Set6 #234)
4 Feln Painting (Set10 #77)
---------------MARKET---------------
1 Honor of Claws (Set1005 #15)
1 Malediction (Set6 #208)
1 Rain of Frogs (Set1 #221)
1 Silverblade Menace (Set1087 #10)
1 Turn to Seed (Set1087 #8)

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Ugh just lost a game because apparently spells count as "an enemy" to trigger this card. With that phrasing I figured it was combat damage (either a unit, or myself with a weapon)

She looks real good, gonna try this expid build next https://eternalwarcry.com/decks/d/JVGAgcGwZso/jarrall-tarra-smasher

Standingstoic
Jan 17, 2007
Out of the blue, beyond any cause you can trace, you'll suddenly realize things are not how you perceived them at all. For some reason, you will no longer be the person you believed you once were.
I hate to admit a big whiff, but drat I did not think that card looked anywhere near as good as it will likely turn out to be. Everyone is tinkering with her right now.

Frankly, this expac looks like a very solid group of cards. I figured the hen was looking to be the real shining star, but there's quite a lot popping up that looks playable.

Of all the stuff, I'm a little surprised the fast speed modal permafrost hasn't seen any play at all yet. I feel like this game really would benefit from a stop for instant-speed interaction at the start of combat, because a lot of cards would suddenly become way more playable if you were guaranteed a window to interact before combat.

In a way, I like the strategy behind how it works now, but I figure it would be a real shake-up and open up a good chunk of stuff to playability.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Extremely frustrating climb to masters this month, bouncing around 20-70% through Diamond 1 for what felt like two weeks. My old even xenan, relic stuff, praxis haste, hooru with Tarra, and rost sling all seem pretty 50-50

Finally netdecked this and it went 8-1 just now to finish it up. Adding Grenahen to the already good Even Reanimator package is ridiculous

FORMAT:Throne
4 Arcanum Hourglass (Set4 #69)
3 Eremot's Designs (Set1007 #9)
4 Evenhanded Golem (Set6 #237)
4 Exploit (Set10 #73)
4 Grenahen (Set1107 #20)
2 Nectar of Unlife (Set10 #129)
3 Send an Agent (Set1097 #17)
4 Sporefolk (Set1 #262)
4 Vine Grafter (Set10 #197)
4 Katra, The First Seal (Set9 #201)
3 Vara, Vengeance-Seeker (Set1004 #19)
4 Icaria, First Reaper (Set1087 #11)
4 Azindel, Revealed (Set1004 #21)
3 Vara, Fate-Touched (Set1 #307)
1 Primal Sigil (Set1 #187)
4 Shadow Sigil (Set1 #249)
2 Stonescar Vow (Set9 #190)
4 Crest of Mystery (Set4 #266)
4 Seat of Mystery (Set0 #61)
4 Xenan Cylix (Set9 #199)
2 Feln Painting (Set10 #77)
4 Feln Vow (Set9 #208)
1 Banish (Set2 #207)
1 Silverblade Menace (Set1087 #10)
1 Wasteland Broker (Set9 #214)
1 Grasping at Shadows (Set1 #292)
1 Pale Rider's Timepiece (Set8 #144)

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
From what I've seen, Even Feln is the new hotness right now.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
Yeah, there was a throne tournament over the weekend where top 4 was a sling deck, two even felns and an even reanimator xenan splash primal for the hen, with even feln winning.

Also, new promo.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Trinisphere! They didn't dare make it cost only 3, though, heh

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
How are people not completely sick of Exploit yet?

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

bamhand posted:

How are people not completely sick of Exploit yet?

I assure you I am and have been for awhile now, same with From Beyond.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
From Beyond feels kinda fair in they it can whiff more, doesn't take your high value, and doesn't plunder. Exploit should cost 3 or not plunder. Or at least plunder before the discard.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
A strategy of "strip all the remotely useful cards from your opponent's hand before lazily going in for the kill" seems to be considerably more effective in Eternal than in Magic, or I've just been exceedingly unlucky.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
It's pretty bad against the most extreme aggro decks; like if they have 3x 2/1's by the time you exploit turn 2. Good thing you can always have golem and vinegrafter in your opening hand to stop them cold.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

bamhand posted:

It's pretty bad against the most extreme aggro decks; like if they have 3x 2/1's by the time you exploit turn 2
Please post this list, wtf.

Also yes, loving Vine Grafter, just that entire loving Feln deck, Jesus loving Christ, goddamn assholes.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
It's just either Skycrag variant, yetis or Milos/Jekk. You want to run something like 12x 1 drops in either deck. But like I said, they just play a golem or grafter or hen and you're hosed.

But theoretically, exploit is not good vs those decks. It's just that you've got 12 other cards that are.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

bamhand posted:

It's just either Skycrag variant, yetis or Milos/Jekk. You want to run something like 12x 1 drops in either deck. But like I said, they just play a golem or grafter or hen and you're hosed.

But theoretically, exploit is not good vs those decks. It's just that you've got 12 other cards that are.

Exploit has never been a dead card vs me in the first 6 turns.
But yeah, that decks needs a loving series of nerfs, it's like goddamn Spirits in Magic (modern).

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I've had some easy wins if they exploit turn 2 and 3 and just get run over by my board. Like there is a theoretical world where it's bad. But it's not happening often enough. I think having it be 3 would be the most reasonable. Gives aggro a much better shot.

Standingstoic
Jan 17, 2007
Out of the blue, beyond any cause you can trace, you'll suddenly realize things are not how you perceived them at all. For some reason, you will no longer be the person you believed you once were.
Eventually, golem either needs to be a 0/1 or somehow restricted. I absolutely love the card, but it is just a blight on the game.

Exploit should absolutely be 3, just to keep it away from even decks. The usual turn 2 of either nipping their best card and adjusting your hand OR dropping a draw 2 roadblock seems very hard to improve upon. That Feln deck is just super, super tight.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
WOW. Waylay in market for the Feln mirror. HOLY poo poo I got wrecked.

The Felrauks they take activate for them

bamhand fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Apr 2, 2021

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

That's gross.

And yea, we're definitely at critical mass of even/Exploit/dark-based right. Last month there was a bit of variety, but I just played for a while and like 13/15 opponents were dark-based

At least there's even Xenan, even Feln, and even reanimator! Variety!

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I'm seeing a fair amount of Sling too. I think that's a really bad matchup for Feln. Not sure about the other even decks.

These even mirrors represent the worst part of Eternal. Just sitting there drawing cards and whoever draws better wins. The only value you can gain is from RNG giving you better card draw. There's no sweepers or anything to exploit your opponent misplaying. And you're not an aggro deck that can try and make some kind of tempo play.

bamhand fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Apr 2, 2021

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Rank 2 master in throne! Got to diamond 2 with even Feln then finished it off with Hooru Kira after I started losing with Feln. Had 0 losses with Kira in Diamond 1. After playing a ton of Feln it ultimately doesn't feel unfair except vs aggro decks. Plenty can beat it. Kira is still just completely unfair with the right draws.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Any advice for a new player? Just finished the tutorial, but I've played other CCG and LCG, so I'm more interested in where to find cheap decent decks, which modes to play, specifics to the game, etc...

Umbra
Jul 9, 2003
Sweet Sassy Molassy.
https://eternalwarcry.com/ is THE site for decks. Search for new player or budget for newbie decks.

https://themisplay.com/ has weekly meta lists with links to popular decks (from above site)

https://www.reddit.com/r/EternalCardGame/ Primary site for info, etc

Most people advise playing Gauntlet and Forge to master, then draft or constructed. (Rewards in gauntlet and forge crater after reaching max rank)
Throne queue is all cards printed thus far, and expedition is the latest few sets with a curated list of older cards. More on expedition: https://eternalcardgame.fandom.com/wiki/Expedition

It really depends whether you plan to drop money on the game in terms of what to save your gold for. FTP is a long road at this point, since there is a buttload of mini-sets all going for 25k. I believe sets
are the best value for real money. Otherwise, find a deck you want to play, and buy mini-sets as you need them.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If you've played Magic then you'll find the game rather familiar - 5 factions, lands vs. creatures vs. auras vs. other permanents vs. spells, a lot of keywords have relatively direct analogues in Magic, etc. - if you're familiar with the Magic pro scene you'll also find the designer's names familiar.

The biggest differences you'll find are:
- Influence is pretty similar to lands of different colours, but is less fiddly to play with - either you have enough or you don't.
- You can't respond to everything your opponent does - you can respond to spells (instants and sorceries), attacks, the end of their turn, and abilities that target you or one of your things - if your opponent slaps a non-spell buff on one of their units, you don't get to respond to that.
- This also means there are no counterspells for creatures, so creatures with effects that happen when you play them will always get those effects.
- Relic weapons allow your avatar to go bashing opponent's creatures (or their face, if they have no creatures). Sadly they're not very good now :'(

In terms of things to play, start with Puzzles (free gold, and teaches you specifics about the mechanics), Gauntlet (games against AI decks) and Forge (A vs-AI Limited mode where you keep all the cards you pick - pretty worthwhile rewards up until you hit Master rank in it).

You'll also want to save up enough for the sealed League - it's very good value, do it every month until you've got most of the cards from the current set. Feel free to post your sealed pool in the thread if you want ideas on how to build it.

For constructed netdecking, https://eternalwarcry.com/ is about the only choice unless you want to trawl through individual streamers and copy lists from them.

newershadow
May 18, 2014
Nerfs coming to EHG Even Feln cards: https://www.direwolfdigital.com/news/4-7-live-balance-update/

Shadow Icaria (first reaper) 6SSSSSS -> 7SSSSSS
Maveloft Huntress 2PP 2/1 -> 3PP 3/1

Maveloft has had this coming for a while, Icaria maybe a bit less. I wouldn’t have been surprised if they touched Hen but it’s probably a bit early.

Also some buffs to (mostly throne) tribal cards for aggro:
Borderlands Lookout – Now 0/3 (was 0/2)
Rolling Spikeback – Now 3/2 (was 3/1)
Forgemark Scrivener – Now 2-cost (was 3)
Powercell – Now 2/2 (was 2/1)

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Hit expedition masters with the first place deck from a couple tournaments back (with a few mods). Maveloft is still good. Was super smooth this month, I think I had 8 losses from G3. That puts me at something like 30-9. I got "lucky" in that I had a 4 game losing streak right after hitting D1 so no points were lost. Compared to last month when I tried playing Combrei and Kerendon and went from 1 win from masters down to d3 in the biggest losing streak of my life.

Deck really feels like it shouldn't work but it just keeps killing my opponents. Plenty of wins from a 6 card hand. You want to plunder aggressively to get to 5 power and kill them with Argo or a Death From Above. Hard mulligan for either Janitor David or Daru + 1 drop.

FORMAT:Expedition
2 Argo's Technique (Set10 #398)
4 Bouldergate Guard (Set9 #75)
4 Crown Patroller (Set9 #77)
4 Daru Lee (Set10 #60)
2 Finest Hour (Set1 #130)
4 Permafrost (Set1 #193)
4 Transpose (Set8 #89)
3 Dazzle (Set1095 #13)
4 Genetor Dovid I (Set10 #410)
4 Maveloft Huntress (Set9 #119)
4 Seasoned Drillmaster (Set7 #79)
3 Wisdom of the Elders (Set1 #218)
4 Argo Ironthorn (Set10 #302)
3 Frostclaw Rider (Set10 #327)
3 Justice Sigil (Set1 #126)
3 Crownwatch Standard (Set4 #97)
5 Primal Sigil (Set1 #187)
4 Hooru Painting (Set10 #99)
4 Hooru Vow (Set9 #202)
4 Seat of Order (Set0 #51)
3 Broken Contract (Set1095 #21)
1 Avigraft (Set5 #95)
1 Death from Above (Set6 #166)
1 Lord Steyer's Tower (Set10 #340)
1 Roshi the Entrancer (Set9 #204)
1 Sharp Tactician (Set10 #28)

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

bamhand posted:

Hit expedition masters with the first place deck from a couple tournaments back (with a few mods). Maveloft is still good. Was super smooth this month, I think I had 8 losses from G3. That puts me at something like 30-9. I got "lucky" in that I had a 4 game losing streak right after hitting D1 so no points were lost. Compared to last month when I tried playing Combrei and Kerendon and went from 1 win from masters down to d3 in the biggest losing streak of my life.

Deck really feels like it shouldn't work but it just keeps killing my opponents. Plenty of wins from a 6 card hand. You want to plunder aggressively to get to 5 power and kill them with Argo or a Death From Above. Hard mulligan for either Janitor David or Daru + 1 drop.

FORMAT:Expedition
2 Argo's Technique (Set10 #398)
4 Bouldergate Guard (Set9 #75)
4 Crown Patroller (Set9 #77)
4 Daru Lee (Set10 #60)
2 Finest Hour (Set1 #130)
4 Permafrost (Set1 #193)
4 Transpose (Set8 #89)
3 Dazzle (Set1095 #13)
4 Genetor Dovid I (Set10 #410)
4 Maveloft Huntress (Set9 #119)
4 Seasoned Drillmaster (Set7 #79)
3 Wisdom of the Elders (Set1 #218)
4 Argo Ironthorn (Set10 #302)
3 Frostclaw Rider (Set10 #327)
3 Justice Sigil (Set1 #126)
3 Crownwatch Standard (Set4 #97)
5 Primal Sigil (Set1 #187)
4 Hooru Painting (Set10 #99)
4 Hooru Vow (Set9 #202)
4 Seat of Order (Set0 #51)
3 Broken Contract (Set1095 #21)
1 Avigraft (Set5 #95)
1 Death from Above (Set6 #166)
1 Lord Steyer's Tower (Set10 #340)
1 Roshi the Entrancer (Set9 #204)
1 Sharp Tactician (Set10 #28)

Played like 15 games so far and this deck is loving horseshit, wow! I feel bad for my opponents.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I honestly don't know how it works. Yeah I'm just gonna durdle around and play some 0/3's and vanilla 2/1's. Wait how are you dead on turn 6?

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

bamhand posted:

I honestly don't know how it works. Yeah I'm just gonna durdle around and play some 0/3's and vanilla 2/1's. Wait how are you dead on turn 6?

Last game was even a mirror, but I got the play so my turn 1 Daru Lee pumped by the 2/1 plunder got to hit first. Two Paintings certainly didn't hurt.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
New promo

Combo it with Grand Suppressor or something. Suppressor on 2, blazing salvo into this on three.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Yeah Roshi was playing that last night. It's funny how a 2 mana 8/8 on turn 3 is still not really strong enough to clinch you a win in this game. I think he still lost more often than not when he pulled the combo off. Was also playing the 3 mana 5/5 with summon, discard a card.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Oh, Eternal has a Phyrexian Dreadnought. Cute!

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Watching a tournament and these casters are impressively bad. It's like the know the basic rules of the game and that's about it.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

bamhand posted:

Watching a tournament and these casters are impressively bad. It's like the know the basic rules of the game and that's about it.
Smdh. Man, why Eternal gotta copy Magic: The Gathering on everything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

newershadow
May 18, 2014
Got to day 2 in the Expedition Open with this deck with no modifications: https://eternalwarcry.com/decks/d/wBz23E_HuXc/sentinel-aggro

My experience today was that it matches up well against the FPS discard decks, but doesn't quite have the gas against the 4f sling deck that's going around and has some trouble rushing down all the chump blockers in the Overloader combo decks. Autotread in particular ended up matching up well against a lot of popular stuff.