Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Dan Crenshaw does not look cool enough to be an assassin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Well, he didn't say he looked like an actual assassin.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
I just find Davidson painfully unfunny. His jokes and delivery are a complete flatline for my funny bone.

His humor feels like someone drew a silly doodle on a post-it note and then put it on a wet bag of potatoes. Just a giant "ok?".

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

It's actually pretty hard to argue with.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Snowman_McK posted:

Pretty sure mocking a guy who lost his eye doing something stupid while doing something evil isn't ableist, esp[ecially when it's a guy who's parlayed that stupidity in the middle of evil into a career doing way more evil. The same way making fun of kamala harris for being awful isn't inherently misogynist.

Sure, but can we agree that making a crack that instead of being VP she should have run to be manager of a 7-11 is racist? That there is, in fact, a difference between mocking someone's actions and political beliefs and mocking someone's physical attributes or heritage? Dan Crenshaw's politics are Trump-humping vile. We can and should rag on his politics. But maybe we shouldn't mock the fact that an IED blew up in his face and took his eye while he was serving his country in the military in Afghanistan.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Nah. When you decide to use your military background to justify a run for office, overtly align yourself with the junior fascist club in the pursuit of power, and use your status as an elected official to make life worse for everyone who isn't a cishet male WASP then it's open season to be clowned for pulling attempting to recreate an Elmer Fudd gag with an IED. Every vet I know that isn't Q-poisoned hates dipshits like Crenshaw and would clown him to his face, because gently caress him to and what he represents and what reflects back on the rest of us by association.

Davidson is just another ho hum SNL guy who got more attention because of who he dated than any joke he ever told. Dumb edgelord poo poo aside he should catch the utmost flack for helping lauder the reputation and elevate the standing of ole One Eyed Willie there, though to be fair Lorne Michaels would've blacklisted him if Davidson hadn't acquiesced and done the on air apology. No heroes in this one.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Mar 31, 2021

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Everyone posted:

Sure, but can we agree that making a crack that instead of being VP she should have run to be manager of a 7-11 is racist? That there is, in fact, a difference between mocking someone's actions and political beliefs and mocking someone's physical attributes or heritage? Dan Crenshaw's politics are Trump-humping vile. We can and should rag on his politics. But maybe we shouldn't mock the fact that an IED blew up in his face and took his eye while he was serving his country in the military in Afghanistan.

I'm fine mocking that fact and apologising to fascists is bad.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Snowman_McK posted:

I'm fine mocking that fact and apologising to fascists is bad.

Good enough. But just to make sure the ground rules are clear, does that mean we can make fun of Jessie Smollet for being black and gay along with the fact that he faked a hate crime to get a salary boost? Because if it's open season on one bad person's physical attributes and heritage, it's open season on everybody else's as well.

For my part, any mockery I direct toward Smollet will center around faking a hate crime and thereby making life more difficult for other victims of hate crimes. I see no need to bring his race or sexual orientation into it. However, now that the door has been opened other people might see things differently.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Everyone posted:

If he wanted to serve his country he could have volunteered with meals on wheels instead of being an armed subcontractor for oil companies.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Everyone posted:

Good enough. But just to make sure the ground rules are clear, does that mean we can make fun of Jessie Smollet for being black and gay along with the fact that he faked a hate crime to get a salary boost? Because if it's open season on one bad person's physical attributes and heritage, it's open season on everybody else's as well.

For my part, any mockery I direct toward Smollet will center around faking a hate crime and thereby making life more difficult for other victims of hate crimes. I see no need to bring his race or sexual orientation into it. However, now that the door has been opened other people might see things differently.

Crenshaw wasn't born with one eye, and you should really reconsider the rhetorical road you're going down here.

Just the immediate jump itself to Smollett as some sort of equivalent comparison to a quasi-fascist dirtbag.... yikes.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Everyone posted:

Because if it's open season on one bad person's physical attributes and heritage, it's open season on everybody else's as well.

I too have literally no judgement or ability to make distinctions.

Keep makng the comparisons, it's going super well and demonstrating a keen understanding of the world.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Mat Cauthon posted:

Crenshaw wasn't born with one eye, and you should really reconsider the rhetorical road you're going down here.

I should consider the road? So if somebody wasn't born with a disability but gets one later that makes mocking it okay? I hope that's not what you mean. Even so, do you really want to try to carve out some kind of "bad person" exception for bigotry? Because as a straight, white CiS-gender male, I have to tell you that a road like that will not lead anywhere most people want to go. Crenshaw is a US Congressman who is popular in his district. So figure the people who elected and re-elected his Trump-humping rear end have very different ideas about what makes a bad person.

Mat Cauthon posted:

Just the immediate jump itself to Smollett as some sort of equivalent comparison to a quasi-fascist dirtbag.... yikes.

Smollet is a (presumably) non-quasi-fascist dirtbag. But they're both still dirtbags. Honestly, of the two, I think Smollet has done more overall harm. Violence based on bigotry is up. Any minority or gay or trans victim of that violence who reports it to the police will likely be taken less seriously now because Smollet wanted a bigger paycheck. Maybe Smollet isn't a bigot himself but his actions have certainly enabled bigotry and given cover for it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The police don't need reasons to disbelieve minority victims of violence. Also, they lie.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The police don't need reasons to disbelieve minority victims of violence. Also, they lie.

No, don't you see, if it wasn't for Smollet, the Chicago PD, who maintained black sites for extracting confessions for years, would take crimes against black people and gay people very seriously.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Its ok to make fun of crenshaw because he’s a fascist goblin who probably was excited to lose his eye because he thought it made him look like big boss, hope this helps

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Snowman_McK posted:

No, don't you see, if it wasn't for Smollet, the Chicago PD, who maintained black sites for extracting confessions for years, would take crimes against black people and gay people very seriously.

And you think "Don't bother. It's probably just another Smollet thing" wasn't said at a whole bunch of police stations after that?

But hey, fine. Smollet's action was just a harmless little prank.

And the Nazi poo poo-heel in Charlottesville who plowed into the protestors? Just took a wrong turn.

And that guy in Atlanta wasn't a bigoted gently caress who hated Asian women. He was just crying for help for his sex addiction.

That's not about equivalency. Smollet didn't murder anyone. But if you excuse one person's bad behavior it can give cover to let people excuse (or just accept the excuses for) others' bad behavior.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Someone post the dril tweet, I'm phone postin'

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
You know what? You guys are right. I'm over-reacting. It's totally cool. Say whatever you want about whoever you want. Spread the "love." Figure since I'm a straight white CiS-gender male, it won't matter to me, because https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMlihrez2po

Oh, and you know what my fellow straight, white CiS males are just absolutely brilliant at? Grievance. Playing the victim. So, yeah, make the One-Eyed Willie jokes. Figure by 2024 Crenshaw might just ride them into being President One-Eyed Willie. Won't that be a fun four years? Trump II: The Eye Has It.

I could talk about him reversing Biden's progress, but, really, what progress? At best Biden might regain some Progressive ground. Which will then be lost again if/when another Trumper gets in the White House.

But no, go ahead, make with the funnies. I'm gonna be fine. It's just a whole bunch of other people that will be anything but.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Mar 31, 2021

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Anyway, Hulk (2003) is a pretty good comic book movie

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Everyone posted:

You know what? You guys are right. I'm over-reacting. It's totally cool. Say whatever you want about whoever you want. Spread the "love." Figure since I'm a straight white CiS-gender male, it won't matter to me, because https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMlihrez2po

Oh, and you know what my fellow straight, white CiS males are just absolutely brilliant at? Grievance. Playing the victim. So, yeah, make the One-Eyed Willie jokes. Figure by 2024 Crenshaw might just ride them into being President One-Eyed Willie. Won't that be a fun four years? Trump II: The Eye Has It.

I could talk about him reversing Biden's progress, but, really, what progress? At best Biden might regain some Progressive ground. Which will then be lost again if/when another Trumper gets in the White House.

But no, go ahead, make with the funnies. I'm gonna be fine. It's just a whole bunch of other people that will be anything but.

I can hear you sneer whenever you say white cis gendered males

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm a trans girl who likes to smooch girls and munch carpet, and would like to talk about comic book movies and not the next presidential election in 4 years.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Roth posted:

I'm a trans girl who likes to smooch girls and munch carpet, and would like to talk about comic book movies and not the next presidential election in 4 years.

That's a completely fair point that I respect you for making, so let's do that. Does Godzilla vs. Kong count as a comic book movie? Because it probably should. The Roger Ebert site actually gave it four stars.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Mar 31, 2021

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
I think they're both comic book characters so it should count

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Burkion posted:

I have watched Godzilla VS Kong

This is an incredibly dumb movie and I love it dearly

That's the review. That's it.

Now I'm going to watch it five more times before Friday

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'ma watch Godzilla vs Kong my favourite way: drunk af.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Is AZ Quotes from the same company that made AZ Nudes? AZ Nudes is crazy. You see a celebrity listed there, and you wonder why you never heard of them doing a nude scene before, and then you see they're there because they didn't wear a bra while making a charity PSA or there's a picture of them hugging a friend while fully clothed.

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

I hate Pete Davidson because 1) I envy his sexual partners and success, 2) he's a moron with absolutely trash politics, 3) he's by every report a prick and 4) he's not funny, in that order. Envy is the bedrock of my entire personality and I will never hide or be ashamed of this fact.

I'm watching Godzilla vs. Kong at a friend's place tonight, and I've already warned them in advance that if Godzilla loses I'm going to throw a temper tantrum like a little pissbaby and destroy all of their possessions. Who is with me in this

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

POWELL CURES KIDS posted:

I'm watching Godzilla vs. Kong at a friend's place tonight, and I've already warned them in advance that if Godzilla loses I'm going to throw a temper tantrum like a little pissbaby and destroy all of their possessions. Who is with me in this

I'm a little over halfway through it, and my no spoiler impression so far is that it is way weirder than I expected, and the trailer gave away very little of what the movie is even about. It's a treat, so far.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

thrawn527 posted:

I'm a little over halfway through it, and my no spoiler impression so far is that it is way weirder than I expected, and the trailer gave away very little of what the movie is even about. It's a treat, so far.

Do they come together to save Mothra

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

RBA Starblade posted:

Do they come together to save Mothra

I said no spoilers.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
sure seems like godzilla causes a lot of property damage in these movies...

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

2house2fly posted:

sure seems like godzilla causes a lot of property damage in these movies...

Tell humans to stop loving up

DeNomolos
Jan 10, 2013

mild mannered meatspin historian

POWELL CURES KIDS posted:

I hate Pete Davidson because 1) I envy his sexual partners and success, 2) he's a moron with absolutely trash politics, 3) he's by every report a prick and 4) he's not funny, in that order. Envy is the bedrock of my entire personality and I will never hide or be ashamed of this fact.

this is all theory, but one of the really quick behind the scenes clips was him surrendering during the night beach raid with the B (most likely all dead) team, since Flula Borg said someone's genitals explode and his character's name being Richard Hertz, he is possibly getting a rocket launcher or sniper fire to the dick.

DeNomolos fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Mar 31, 2021

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

ChuckDeNomolos posted:

this is all theory, but one of the really quick behind the scenes clips was him surrendering during the night beach raid with the B (most likely all dead) team, since Flula Borg said someone's genitals explode and his character's name being Richard Hertz, he is possibly getting a rocket launcher or sniper fire to the dick.

And a skeptical comment about the idea of the rocket/sniper hitting such a tiny target should be coming in 3...2...

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Everyone posted:

And a skeptical comment about the idea of the rocket/sniper hitting such a tiny target should be coming in 3...2...

have you considered seeing a therapist about your paranoid schizophrenia as expressed by you are posting

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

ungulateman posted:

have you considered seeing a therapist about your paranoid schizophrenia as expressed by you are posting

I mostly just have a group therapy session with the other voices in my head. Cheaper that way.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Everyone posted:

And you think "Don't bother. It's probably just another Smollet thing" wasn't said at a whole bunch of police stations after that?

I don't think police actually needed an excuse to not help black people, queer people and queer black people.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Snowman_McK posted:

I don't think police actually needed an excuse to not help black people, queer people and queer black people.

Need? No. Want? Sure. Plenty of people are fine with being bigoted fucks, but they don't want to think of themselves (or have others think of them) as being bigoted fucks. Hypocrisy is still very much a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I haven't found a YouTube link yet because Gunn just posted this, but here.

https://twitter.com/JamesGunn/status/1377712257157636096?s=20