Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.
gently caress you guys. It is the second year of the 20's. We still don't have money for anything that matters but hey its not so bad, literally nothing has changed. We have some guys that have gotten themselves promoted. We have some guys that are about too, as well as some people who's souls have finally been crushed by the unfeeling uncaring machine that is government work. All in all its been a pretty meh year. Covid sucks but there is now light at the end of the tunnel. Our abusive orange leader keeps loving with Ice breaker poo poo. OPC's are around the corner and some of us will probably be cursed to be aboard them. The 29's are a bane to the entire fleet. 225's are breaking left and right but sythaglass is cheap. We have stations literally falling into the water with no plan in site and our new uniforms are hideous . But all in all we are doing great because at the end of the day at least we aren't DOD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I like it

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

THings are better at my sector.

Except our E8 who has communication problems and if he has a problem with something or someone he will write a long rambling email on how a junior member of the team is having a problem with something or someone.

An example: He told me that "my peers" were reporting problems with the way i do things. I talked to my peers and surprise, they didn't have any problems with me or if they did they had already talked to me about them.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

Well poo poo. Got EPO Station Alexandria bay NY. Not much choice in the matter. Suppose it could be worse.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

It could be worse, you could have your senior chief go in a loop explaining you how to micromanage the duty investigation officier.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

Did you write the steps down and ask why step 4, 15 and 27 are the same?

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Melthir posted:

Did you write the steps down and ask why step 4, 15 and 27 are the same?

No after he asked me why i sounded so frustrated, i shut off all emotions and became a yes man.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

ElMaligno posted:

It could be worse, you could have your senior chief go in a loop explaining you how to micromanage the duty investigation officier.

This might be the first time I’ve ever heard of a command center acting like they know the first thing about Prevention.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

nwin posted:

This might be the first time I’ve ever heard of a command center acting like they know the first thing about Prevention.

No it was kinda weird thing. Basically dude calls us about a case that may have happened some time ago and gives us a general area, he wants to talk to an IO because he has info. I get his name and phone number and he proceeds to talk about FOIA requests (??????) which fair, but has nothing to do with what the dude wants.

Later I did some preliminary investigation and find something that MIGHT correlate to the guy's story. I call the IO, let him know all i know, let him know that the guy is kinda suspicious but he wants to give information. Then senior starts to go on a loop and what i should tell the IO.

I didnt tell the IO what to do because the IO is an adult.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

ElMaligno posted:

No it was kinda weird thing. Basically dude calls us about a case that may have happened some time ago and gives us a general area, he wants to talk to an IO because he has info. I get his name and phone number and he proceeds to talk about FOIA requests (??????) which fair, but has nothing to do with what the dude wants.

Later I did some preliminary investigation and find something that MIGHT correlate to the guy's story. I call the IO, let him know all i know, let him know that the guy is kinda suspicious but he wants to give information. Then senior starts to go on a loop and what i should tell the IO.

I didnt tell the IO what to do because the IO is an adult.

Lmao. How about : you should tell the IO what the guy told you and provide his contact info. Done.

9 times out of 10 the guy that called just got fired from a fishing rig or something and wants to get his ex-boss in trouble for some bullshit.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

nwin posted:

Lmao. How about : you should tell the IO what the guy told you and provide his contact info. Done.

9 times out of 10 the guy that called just got fired from a fishing rig or something and wants to get his ex-boss in trouble for some bullshit.

that is what i did with the information yes

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Hahahaha

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

nwin posted:

Hahahaha

I am sending my condolences to the command center and the boat crew.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

https://twitter.com/PubicZirconium/status/1370088635144536073?s=19

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Y'all better reboot the NVMC website, it's stuck in the 90's.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

FrozenVent posted:

Y'all better reboot the NVMC website, it's stuck in the 90's.

So is our funding.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I failed tape 😪

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

Goondolences. I thought it didn't matter currently?

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Melthir posted:

Goondolences. I thought it didn't matter currently?

I thought so too, but i need to talk about it tomorrow

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

ElMaligno posted:

I thought so too, but i need to talk about it tomorrow

It doesn’t matter. If you fail all 2/3 methods or however many there are, you just need to talk to a counselor or your doctor about losing weight. Once you’ve had that appointment you’re marked as compliant in the system.

The ACN explains it all.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

nwin posted:

It doesn’t matter. If you fail all 2/3 methods or however many there are, you just need to talk to a counselor or your doctor about losing weight. Once you’ve had that appointment you’re marked as compliant in the system.

The ACN explains it all.

Yeah, I asked my OSC yesterday and he said this. Still i am taking proactive steps to loose weight.

Also yesterday someone brought a whole loving costco pizza and i didnt even eat a slice.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

ElMaligno posted:

Yeah, I asked my OSC yesterday and he said this. Still i am taking proactive steps to loose weight.

Also yesterday someone brought a whole loving costco pizza and i didnt even eat a slice.

Good idea. I’m curious how long they allow this for. I’m guessing just once but with retention how it is, who the gently caress knows.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

Who knows. All my shop but one is currently getting out cause poo poo ain't worth it and I convinced them education is the better alternative. Like 70% of the boat is openly discussing it...shits nuts

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Melthir posted:

Who knows. All my shop but one is currently getting out cause poo poo ain't worth it and I convinced them education is the better alternative. Like 70% of the boat is openly discussing it...shits nuts

What’s the main reason people are getting out? Are they mostly people on first enlistments?

My only exposure right now is to the honor guard and they all just want to avoid underway and go ME.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

nwin posted:

What’s the main reason people are getting out? Are they mostly people on first enlistments?

My only exposure right now is to the honor guard and they all just want to avoid underway and go ME.

I mean there is a plethora of reasons and I'm waiting for the fam to wake up so we can move so I'll list them as applicable to the boat I was on.

New GI bill and retirement shenanigans. That and the recent bunch of Os (last 5 years or so) coming out of the academy are loving dumb. We have more non rates joining with degrees and life experience then ever before so when you listen to ensign idiot tell you to do something only to get yelled at by bm1/c for doing what dumb rear end said then the next day get threatened with njp for not doing what the dumb rear end says it kind of makes you want to get out.

Toxic as gently caress CO who is a jerk to anyone who is even half way decent looking(this is most definitely not me ask crabdad) while screeching about the patriarchy keeping her from getting the job she wanted(another female got it). Also she is probably the most unsafe CO I have ever worked for, last underway she almost got the MK2 breaking in killed by launching a boat in max seas with a Jr. Driver and this being the first boat launch that 7/8 of deck force had ever done.

Badge Chief getting threatened for NJP by big CG for having a pre existing relationship with another Chief who picked up warrant.(apparently there is no written policy allowing it I don't know I'm not touching the poop)

XO is a money hoarder and doesn't approve PRs for needed stuff making everything way harder then it needs to be.

Unit being perpetually broke with the CG half rear end fixing it just to rush the boat out of dry dock to work bouys. When 1 and two tour guys see the CG overall lack of give a poo poo about quality repairs it makes you wonder how much your life is worth.

Basically the Willow is a train wreck with the only saving grace being they are gettinga new CO in june. I'm glad I'm transferring out.

Over all CG wide I think people are realizing the military is dumb and it's getting more and more difficult to convince people that 20 years is worth it. Most of the people now that are doing more then 10 are doing it cause they feel trapped. Toss out a 10 year retirement with no health care but 25% pay and we would really watch the floodgates open.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Melthir posted:

I mean there is a plethora of reasons and I'm waiting for the fam to wake up so we can move so I'll list them as applicable to the boat I was on.

New GI bill and retirement shenanigans. That and the recent bunch of Os (last 5 years or so) coming out of the academy are loving dumb. We have more non rates joining with degrees and life experience then ever before so when you listen to ensign idiot tell you to do something only to get yelled at by bm1/c for doing what dumb rear end said then the next day get threatened with njp for not doing what the dumb rear end says it kind of makes you want to get out.

Toxic as gently caress CO who is a jerk to anyone who is even half way decent looking(this is most definitely not me ask crabdad) while screeching about the patriarchy keeping her from getting the job she wanted(another female got it). Also she is probably the most unsafe CO I have ever worked for, last underway she almost got the MK2 breaking in killed by launching a boat in max seas with a Jr. Driver and this being the first boat launch that 7/8 of deck force had ever done.

Badge Chief getting threatened for NJP by big CG for having a pre existing relationship with another Chief who picked up warrant.(apparently there is no written policy allowing it I don't know I'm not touching the poop)

XO is a money hoarder and doesn't approve PRs for needed stuff making everything way harder then it needs to be.

Unit being perpetually broke with the CG half rear end fixing it just to rush the boat out of dry dock to work bouys. When 1 and two tour guys see the CG overall lack of give a poo poo about quality repairs it makes you wonder how much your life is worth.

Basically the Willow is a train wreck with the only saving grace being they are gettinga new CO in june. I'm glad I'm transferring out.

Over all CG wide I think people are realizing the military is dumb and it's getting more and more difficult to convince people that 20 years is worth it. Most of the people now that are doing more then 10 are doing it cause they feel trapped. Toss out a 10 year retirement with no health care but 25% pay and we would really watch the floodgates open.

drat-a proper rant.

I guess the IT community isn’t much better. We got millions thrown at us with the cares act but are still so behind the curve and inefficient it doesn’t make a difference.

If TERA was still a thing I’d be loving jumping on that once I hit 17 years, but with everyone jumping ship-that’s not likely.

I’m curious to see who the gently caress enlists for 2 years to clean toilets.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
Doesnt sound any different than 8 years ago when I left other than a CO screaming about the patriarchy.

Getting out is good

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

krispykremessuck posted:

Doesnt sound any different than 8 years ago when I left other than a CO screaming about the patriarchy.

Getting out is good

i have 9 years to go :(

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Pouring one for the homies in Sector New Orleans as they are having a bad time.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

ElMaligno posted:

i have 9 years to go :(

I’d be retiring next year and left at 11 years almost on the day. It was a rough call at the time but after reading everything all of you have said, plus the few folks I keep in touch with ... nah. A civil service retirement is gonna go a lot further anyway.

I get it tho, and hope all of you can get out on your own / favorable terms as soon as you can

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

krispykremessuck posted:

I’d be retiring next year and left at 11 years almost on the day. It was a rough call at the time but after reading everything all of you have said, plus the few folks I keep in touch with ... nah. A civil service retirement is gonna go a lot further anyway.

I get it tho, and hope all of you can get out on your own / favorable terms as soon as you can

Best idea was for me to commission and choose a new career path in hindsight. It’s nowhere near as fun as being a boatswains mate was, but I’m not dealing with a lot of the bullshit that came along with it-no more XO holding up liberty two days before getting underway or any of that juvenile poo poo.

My biggest gripe is someone dropping the ball and begging me to approve a PR at the last minute. But at the end of the day if that’s what I complain about, it’s really not a big deal and my pension will be pretty sweet.

I wish they would have had the blended retirement system when I joined though-not having a match on my TSP blows. Long term I think the military needs to find some way to step up to retain people, and BRS just gives another excuse for people to walk. Who knows-maybe they don’t want as many people to stay for twenty-pension/health insurance for the rest of your life is loving expensive.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Woooooo-how about that excellent email service!!!??

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Pain

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Good thing it wasn't a terribly busy Friday morning, how terrible would that be

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Yesterday was busy as gently caress, today i re-enlist and i may be getting my SWE scored. please pray for me

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I submitted my re-enlistment paper on 10APR, its still not ready...

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

Da fuq. Mine was done in 3 days.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

SWE raw scores have been out since Friday...

Except for mine :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

ElMaligno posted:

SWE raw scores have been out since Friday...

Except for mine :mad:

We have a 105, 98 and 93 up here in Alexandria Bay. Still to early to know if it's from there study group or if the scores are just high this time.