Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

and yet HBO just gave GRRM a big pile of cash to (presumably) not write anything

also it feels to me like the franchise as a whole kind of lost a lot of the momentum it had with the controversial final season. I didn't watch it but that is just the general impression I get from fans who did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Not actually; Luke doesn't even give an accurate synopsis. This is one of those 'meta' readings that doesn't withstand scrutiny, like Rey being a Star Wars fan. Or Kylo Ren being a Star Wars fan. Or Hux being a Star Wars fan. Or Maz Katana being a Star Wars fan.
Rey is clearly a Star Wars fan in that she has heard someone describe the story third hand and has some of the toys and she imagines herself a daring fighter pilot destroying the "death sphere" and saving the galaxy. She has not heard anything about the prequels.

Luke on the other hand gives a synopsis that is about as good as anyone who saw the prequels 15 years ago can give you. He focuses on the Jedi being unable to see Darth Sideous right under their noses and their utter failure to stop him because that's what's important to him. He believed the bill of goods Obiwan sold him, hence his disillusionment.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

also it feels to me like the franchise as a whole kind of lost a lot of the momentum it had with the controversial final season. I didn't watch it but that is just the general impression I get from fans who did.
which always seems funny to me, since it had been that level of lovely for many seasons before...like, going into the final season anyone with any taste and awareness would've been well aware that the show wasn't good anymore and hadn't been for a while
the ending honestly wasn't even the lowest point of the last 2-3 seasons but I guess too many people were hoping it would redeem the rest.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

The United States posted:

Rey is clearly a Star Wars fan in that she has heard someone describe the story third hand and has some of the toys and she imagines herself a daring fighter pilot destroying the "death sphere" and saving the galaxy. She has not heard anything about the prequels.

Luke on the other hand gives a synopsis that is about as good as anyone who saw the prequels 15 years ago can give you. He focuses on the Jedi being unable to see Darth Sideous right under their noses and their utter failure to stop him because that's what's important to him. He believed the bill of goods Obiwan sold him, hence his disillusionment.

Ok, so both characters represent idiots with a poor understanding of their own history. Rey is vaguely aware of World War II because of the planes. Luke professes to know that the Treaty Of Versailles was a thing, but botches the details.

That’s the issue: for it to be a proper analogy, they would need to be fans of popular fiction in the diegesis.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Fried Watermelon posted:

He's never going to finish them

He's been working on the things for 20+ years, I can understand not wanting to write about swords and lemon cakes for a little bit

Especially after the showrunners utterly beefed their adaptation so they could run off to make Star Wars (and lost that, presumably because sabotaging your breakout show to do a different show doesn't instill confidence)

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

and yet HBO just gave GRRM a big pile of cash to (presumably) not write anything

It's still going to be a while before anything new comes out so maybe some of the sourness over S8 will have passed. At least for casual watchers.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There was no listed reason but Mortal Kombat was pushed back one week to the 23rd.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Neurolimal posted:

He's been working on the things for 20+ years, I can understand not wanting to write about swords and lemon cakes for a little bit

Especially after the showrunners utterly beefed their adaptation so they could run off to make Star Wars (and lost that, presumably because sabotaging your breakout show to do a different show doesn't instill confidence)

He’s going to die before he ever publishes another word of it.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

There was no listed reason but Mortal Kombat was pushed back one week to the 23rd.

Seems to be a reaction to the quite decent (or better than expected) Chinese box office take for Godzilla V Kong. Giving it another week of prime position hoping thats replicated domestically.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

He’s going to die before he ever publishes another word of it.

What's dumb is there is like 3/4 of a book done and he's even published a bunch of chapters of it but lol at finishing it when you can just go to conventions and get paid mad tv money to write plots on napkins that other people will turn into shows

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

aware of dog posted:

https://twitter.com/thr/status/1376913243898327041?s=21
I love how obvious it is that GRRM has totally lost interest in finishing the books

If it’s anything like the play from that one episode, it will be much better than the show or the books.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

If it’s anything like the play from that one episode, it will be much better than the show or the books.
Lol, I still google ‘fake sansa’ from time-to-time, just to see what I get.

But there is so much potential here -gory stage effects were a thing for at least 2500 years before suddenly vanishing as live theater stopped being a working class entertainment when radio took off. Stuart Gordon used a lot of practical effects to great effect in the 80’s, as did the first Conan movie. And the techniques they used would have been known to Shakespeare and probably to Euripides.

Also, nudity works well on stage, nobody expects an injection to the dick in person unless they’ve already seen Trainspotting.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I’d go just to see the child mannequin of Bran pitched off the above stage scaffolding.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Everyone sitting in the first five rows needs to be offered a protective plastic tarp.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Everyone sitting in the first five rows needs to be offered a protective plastic tarp.

A Storm of GWARS.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Stop it, Y’all are making me like this idea.

Anybody else see the Evil Dead musical?

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Remulak posted:

Stuart Gordon used a lot of practical effects to great effect in the 80’s

Reanimator The Musical also has a Splash Zone

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Remulak posted:

Stop it, Y’all are making me like this idea.

Anybody else see the Evil Dead musical?

I saw the Chicago run cause my friend was in it. I thought the songs were fun, I remember the book being pretty embarassingly bad, but it was certainly gory and I think most people got what they were going for.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm ok with Gurm never finishing the books. I got a lot of enjoyment out of the ones that do exist, warts and all. If he ever concludes, I'll be happy and buy them books. If he doesn't, no skin off my back.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
I'm actually pretty sure I can pinpoint the exact moment GRRM realized he couldn't finish the books. He was at a convention nerding out with fans of the book series, and they were discussing all the prophesies and poo poo. The topic came up of how the previous "hero of ancient legend" basically made his glowing fire sword by stabbing it through his beloved's chest, which was in line with the whole sacrifice theme of the books. Somebody mentioned that this likely meant that Jon was going to have to kill Dany to win or something. There was this slight twinkle in GRRM's eyes, but before he could respond a female fan spoke up and said something along the lines of, "I certainly hope we aren't following this strong woman for seven books just so she can get killed so another male character can be sad!" And I could literally see GRRM's face fall.

That was back in 2009 and I'm still convinced that he realized then that he had written himself into a corner because female fans were absolutely not going to accept the original end of the story.

EDIT: Male fans obviously shouldn't accept it either. I'm more pointing out that he took so long to write it that the fantasy fan base had shifted to hearing women's viewpoints more and thus made his kind of lovely mid-90's male-centric writing tropes a little bit problematic.

Anonymous Zebra fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Mar 31, 2021

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Anonymous Zebra posted:

I'm actually pretty sure I can pinpoint the exact moment GRRM realized he couldn't finish the books. He was at a convention nerding out with fans of the book series, and they were discussing all the prophesies and poo poo. The topic came up of how the previous "hero of ancient legend" basically made his glowing fire sword by stabbing it through his beloved's chest, which was in line with the whole sacrifice theme of the books. Somebody mentioned that this likely meant that Jon was going to have to kill Dany to win or something. There was this slight twinkle in GRRM's eyes, but before he could respond a female fan spoke up and said something along the lines of, "I certainly hope we aren't following this strong woman for seven books just so she can get killed so another male character can be sad!" And I could literally see GRRM's face fall.

That was back in 2009 and I'm still convinced that he realized then that he had written himself into a corner because female fans were absolutely not going to accept the original end of the story.

EDIT: Male fans obviously shouldn't accept it either. I'm more pointing out that he took so long to write it that the fantasy fan base had shifted to hearing women's viewpoints more and thus made his kind of lovely mid-90's male-centric writing tropes a little bit problematic.

lmao at what we got

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005

Alan Smithee posted:

lmao at what we got

The way the show ended basically confirmed my original suspicion that Dany was essentially a long-form version of the "dead girlfriend that makes the protagonist sad" since we know the showrunners basically used GRRM's cliffnotes to end the series even when those notes conflicted with the differences the show had from the books.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Here's an article about DTV action films that's pretty good even though it is sort of undeservedly smug

https://www.vulture.com/amp/article/randall-emmett-movies.html

Anonymous Zebra posted:

This is also something that 10 years of thinking about it could have fixed but 100% guarantee that is not what he spent the past decade doing with this story. There is still the fact many people will hate whatever he does but he can at least realize the tv show was just a rough draft and it's time to edit like a mofo

Tars Tarkas fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Mar 31, 2021

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Anonymous Zebra posted:

The way the show ended basically confirmed my original suspicion that Dany was essentially a long-form version of the "dead girlfriend that makes the protagonist sad" since we know the showrunners basically used GRRM's cliffnotes to end the series even when those notes conflicted with the differences the show had from the books.

A bunch of the people who actually read the books could see the Dany twist coming from light years away and yet you still had people naming their kids Khaleesi and poo poo. If GRRM really did see the writing on the wall then I don’t blame him for trying to distance himself from the impending shitshow.

There was an RLM episode a while back where they talked about some Giallo knockoff where the twist was incredibly obvious but it was so absurdly dark and stupid that you just assumed they wouldn’t go that far.

The moral of this story is “never underestimate mankind’s capacity for stupidity”.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

A bunch of the people who actually read the books could see the Dany twist coming from light years away and yet you still had people naming their kids Khaleesi and poo poo. If GRRM really did see the writing on the wall then I don’t blame him for trying to distance himself from the impending shitshow.

Most of the people naming their kid that were people who watched the show, and I would strongly argue that the show Dany was NOT the same character as the book Dany. One is a very intelligent but emotionally stunted teenage sex-abuse survivor with severe trust issues, possible schizophrenia and access to three living nuclear bombs she has only tenuous control over while the other is a full-grown adult sex-abuse survivor who has both intelligence AND empathy, and while making missteps spend most her time surrounding herself with and trusting the advice of a wide variety of advisors. Giving the book ending to the show character is tonal whiplash, and I'm not surprised that the "slay queen!" brigade did not see it coming.

I could derail this thread further, but Lindsay Ellis made two excellent videos summing up my thoughts, so go watch a much more elegant person describe why GoT was a loving mess in season 8.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

But Lindsay is canceled

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/1377253330972516352

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
A Dynasty Warriors movie would just be Romance of the Three Kingdoms, right? Like every game (minus the spin-offs) is just that story?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Plot point wise yeah, but it's a completely different narrative style. Think of the difference between 300 and a history channel reenactment of Thermopylae.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I get the feeling that every money shot in the movie is featured in this trailer. It would suck if 90% of the movie is people standing in a room and shot-reverse-shot talking at each other because the trailer is :krad:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I don't recall seeing it mentioned previously, but Netflix just paid $450 million to get exclusive rights to Knives Out 2 and 3, which is the first I've heard about sequels

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

I don't recall seeing it mentioned previously, but Netflix just paid $450 million to get exclusive rights to Knives Out 2 and 3, which is the first I've heard about sequels
I’m surprised they don’t just make a TV series out of it. A light-hearted whodunnit sounds like it’d be good for serialization.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Knives Out was a funny murder mystery, but I wouldn’t call it light-hearted the same way as Colombo or Murder She Wrote.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

FlamingLiberal posted:

I wonder if they tried to get a series and the actors (or actor) was not interested. Disney's model of serializing everything they can makes the most sense to me from a streaming perspective, and it probably costs a lot less. Then again, Netflix still releases every episode at once, which Disney and Amazon have proven you don't have to do and you will get away with it.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Disney delayed Death on the Nile again but sources say they can't recast Armie Hammer so the actual release is still up in the air.

https://twitter.com/variety/status/1376885841117769730?s=21

https://twitter.com/theavclub/status/1377042472950374400?s=21

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Vegetable posted:

I’m surprised they don’t just make a TV series out of it. A light-hearted whodunnit sounds like it’d be good for serialization.

Hopefully Rian Johnson goes with the idea of Daniel Craig adopting an entirely different but still outlandish accent for each movie.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

[sees Louis Koo's name] of course

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Zero One posted:

Disney delayed Death on the Nile again but sources say they can't recast Armie Hammer so the actual release is still up in the air.

https://twitter.com/variety/status/1376885841117769730?s=21

https://twitter.com/theavclub/status/1377042472950374400?s=21

That's one hell of a tax write-off

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

the moment the poewr shred kicks in only confirms that cinematically China has reached the 80s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Alan Smithee posted:

the moment the poewr shred kicks in only confirms that cinematically China has reached the 80s

I hope they like cocaine and jazzercise :ohdear: