Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Lurdiak posted:

If I say this on social media a bunch of people concern troll about how I'm discouraging people from learning tools or using references, so I'll say it here: Destroy All Tracers Forever. Nothing kills a book for me like that garbage.

yeah a don't think a lot of people are going to argue about that here, especially in this thread.

e: what a shameful snype

the brilliant FROM HELL:
Sometimes I'll say "that's some ugly art" but that isn't necessarily bad - the art in From Hell is often very ugly but it's about ugly people, in an ugly place, doing very ugly things, so it's completely appropriate.

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Mar 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

and that first page is hands down the best-looking page in the entire series

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Larocca on a book is an immediate skip for me. There are two other artists I will skip 100% of the time, Greg Land and Brett Booth.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

greg horn should definitely be on that list because he sucks tremendously hard

not because it's cheesecake - god knows I love me some cheesecake - but it's just a bunch of paintovers of stock photos with him ugh

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Mar 25, 2021

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
larocca is on another level imo because not only does he trace but then he actively tries to make it look as lovely as possible

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

What's sad is that Larroca can draw, as a lot of the tracers are able to, but for some reason he doesn't. I really liked his work on Cable and X-Force several years back. Now it might not be everyone's cup of tea, but it's not the gross monstrosities posted on the previous page.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

X-O posted:

What's sad is that Larroca can draw, as a lot of the tracers are able to, but for some reason he doesn't. I really liked his work on Cable and X-Force several years back. Now it might not be everyone's cup of tea, but it's not the gross monstrosities posted on the previous page.

Some of his stuff on Cable & X-Force was decent but a lot of it was weirdly traced

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I don't even mind tracing or using some kind of software as long as it looks ok. For instance when Kyle Baker was doing art with 3D software it looked like rear end but Mikel Janin's stuff is mostly inoffensive to me. And Deodato's varies wildly in quality at times looking like straight trash and other times being fine.

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

speaking of Digital Style, y'all remember Fallen Angels (2019)? lowkey reminded me of lollipop chainsaw/nmh/cel-shaded videogames

e: god/radium hates me look it up urself :eng99:

sliami fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Mar 26, 2021

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Fallen Angels looked wicked awful dude

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I can at least understand the tortured anatomy of the classic boobs and rear end pose but this

I don't get. This is way worse. She's choking the life out of her captor but she's giving the viewer bedroom eyes? Like c'mon, what the gently caress, honestly.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
speaking of tracers who otherwise do good art

IDW Sonic the Hedgehog Annual 2020

(pencils by Lamar Wells, inks/colors by Bracardi Curry)

compare to:

IDW Sonic the Hedgehog #19

(lineart by Jack Lawrence, colors by Bracardi Curry)

IDW Sonic the Hedgehog #21

(pencils by Lamar Wells, inks by Reggie Graham, colors by Heather Breckel)

Archie Sonic the Hedgehog #230

(pencils by Ben Bates, inks by Terry Austin, colors by Matt Herms)

I think the artist legit got in hot water for this, because he was a semi regular cover artist before the annual (being a carry over from Archie) but hasn't shown up since

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Lobok posted:

I can at least understand the tortured anatomy of the classic boobs and rear end pose but this

I don't get. This is way worse. She's choking the life out of her captor but she's giving the viewer bedroom eyes? Like c'mon, what the gently caress, honestly.

greg horn is really gross, hth

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

I think the artist legit got in hot water for this, because he was a semi regular cover artist before the annual (being a carry over from Archie) but hasn't shown up since
Looking this up, he did six covers (a couple of them variant covers) for IDW/Sonic between September 2018 and March 2020 prior to this annual story. It's not like long gaps between him doing a cover seems that unusual. Is there any story to him being blackballed or 'in hot water'?

Not knowing much about Sonic and just looking at the art posted, unless there's further swiping later in the comic, it seems like a deliberate choice to have all of the "portals" the evil duck lady is opening to be looking into other stories involving her boss's evil plans. Specifically recreating panels from previously published comics about said "evil plans" feels more like a deliberate and overt choice (that a lot of artists seem to like to do lately) than a 'swipe'.

I also know nothing about Sonic the Hedgehog comics, modern or otherwise, so I have no idea if any of the characters/scenarios are supposed to be memorable, or in fact causes by Dr. Robotnik.

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

Alaois posted:

Fallen Angels looked wicked awful dude

Yeah... I'm glad Peach Momoko has an X-book w/Psylocke now because Fallen Angels made me sad

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

speaking of tracers who otherwise do good art

IDW Sonic the Hedgehog Annual 2020

(pencils by Lamar Wells, inks/colors by Bracardi Curry)

but why is the duck goth

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Edge & Christian posted:

Looking this up, he did six covers (a couple of them variant covers) for IDW/Sonic between September 2018 and March 2020 prior to this annual story. It's not like long gaps between him doing a cover seems that unusual. Is there any story to him being blackballed or 'in hot water'?

I think what would've gotten him in hot water was specifically the lifting from Archie: the other instances of lifting (especially of his own art) were probably alright. It is speculation from my part, but his longest gap in appearances prior to the annual was between doing interior fill ins for the September 2019 issue and the March 2020 cover (so half a year) but now it's been a year since the Annual would've come out if it weren't for Covid and we have solicits for stuff coming out a year after the Annual did end up coming out, and there's still no sign of him.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

X-O posted:

His X-Treme X-Men stuff was good, I thought. Like sure it's a little cheesecakey, but it's solid superhero art.

Like I don't get how he's worse now than he was then.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Codependent Poster posted:

Some artists don’t evolve, they degenerate. For example, at the risk of opening Pandora’s box, Ken Penders.

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

His X-Treme X-Men stuff was good, I thought. Like sure it's a little cheesecakey, but it's solid superhero art.

issues on xxmen:
-bad group shot planning
-challenging transition from trad to digital. see also plasticky rendering*
-not using a black line for some reason
-also not blocking out foreground/mid/bg values for some reason*

*the colorist is also responsible

issues on aliens:
-poor scene blocking
-lackluster panels
-overreliance on stiff portraiture instead of less faithful but more dynamic stylization

sliami fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Mar 26, 2021

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

there's still skill there but the lack of careful planning hampers it... Many such cases

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

Chinston Wurchill posted:

The art in the new Marvel Alien book is...not so good. Salvador Larroca on ink, Guru eFX on colours.

The Xenos look alright, but it's mostly humans in the first issue and they're generally not pleasant to look at. Looks like colouring might be the main issue.

also he broke the 180 rule lol

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

he realized he gets paid the same no matter whether he does work or phones it in

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

thetoughestbean posted:

Some artists don’t evolve, they degenerate. For example, at the risk of opening Pandora’s box, Ken Penders.

A better example is Steve Dillon. I'm old enough and UKian enough to remember when Dillon started out in 2000AD. He was chosen to fill in for Brian Bolland when Bolland couldn't meet his deadline for Block Mania part 7, and it's easy to see why he was chosen - his style was similar to Bolland's, but less exacting and hence faster to produce. (In fact, Block Mania was Bolland's last serialised work for 2000AD.)

Now Dillon was never a bad artist, but by the time of his death he'd essentially reverted to the point he was at when he started out.

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

site posted:

he realized he gets paid the same no matter whether he does work or phones it in

may we all be so fortunate

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Flesh Forge posted:

greg horn should definitely be on that list because he sucks tremendously hard

not because it's cheesecake - god knows I love me some cheesecake - but it's just a bunch of paintovers of stock photos with him ugh

Added. That is just gross.

Does this guy still get actual comics work or does he just do these nasty pinups?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Joe Fisto posted:

Does this guy still get actual comics work or does he just do these nasty pinups?
Greg Horn rarely ever did actual comic book art, despite his weird ubiquity in the early 2000s, the sum total of his Big Two Interior Artwork appears to be:

2002: A 12 page Elektra story with Greg Rucka
2004: Six pages of an artist jam issue of Bendis/Maleev Daredevil
2009: Five pages in Dark Avengers #11 and three pages in Dark Avengers #12 representing a nightmare/hell world the Molecule Man sticks Norman Osborn in. Then one additional page of New Avengers #50 (another artist jam issue)

He stopped getting regular cover work around ten years ago, but he's still 'drawing' a lot of covers; they're just all mostly softcore "retailer exclusive" variants which means he's getting commissioned either by the comic shops (or more likely himself) so that he can sell the covers/comics on his website.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

sliami posted:

issues on xxmen:
-bad group shot planning
-challenging transition from trad to digital. see also plasticky rendering*
-not using a black line for some reason
-also not blocking out foreground/mid/bg values for some reason*

*the colorist is also responsible

For these issues, they didn't ink Larocca and just had the colors over his pencils. I kind of like the look, where it's between a sketch and finished product. It was probably challenging to color, so I'd also give them some slack.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

sliami posted:

also he broke the 180 rule lol

I think in this instance it's okay. The points where he crosses the axis, it's to retain clarity. It's flipped in panel 1 to avoid making that top portion feel static. Lower down, the axis is crossed to maintain a consistent layout. There were better ways to stage this, especially at the top of the page, but violating the 180 rule here avoids confusion rather than causing it.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

What does the term cheesecakey mean?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

obi_ant posted:

What does the term cheesecakey mean?

Female version of beefcake. It’s intentionally drawing women with big boobs/butts in sexy poses

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I'm pretty sure I could fit my finger inside the vein on Bishop's arm:stonk:

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Mar 30, 2021

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

what's up with that glorious cover art being defaced with that poo poo rear end artless title

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Alhazred posted:

I'm pretty sure I could fit my finger inside the vein on Bishop's arm:stonk:

He's trying not to yell at Jean for stepping on his foot.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Rogue is thinking that Bishop should be wearing a belly shirt too, while Sage is saying "Eyes up here, swamp canary. And how is your right hand attached to your left arm like that?"

And Bishop is demonstrating the future technique of hoverhanding Jeans's rear end.

Ygolonac fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Mar 31, 2021

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Storm is clearly checking out Jean's boobs. Also, Storm is the only woman there who's boobs are smaller than her head.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I am BIshop's tastefully smooth Ken Doll groin

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The more I look at Rogue's body pose the more I'm struggling with making sense of it.

Some more Thorgal covers:

Kinda :nws:https://imgur.com/0AFIJkV

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Mar 31, 2021

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009
There's a lower leg between Rogue's feet that I'm not sure belongs to anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Is Thorgal as pretty in the interiors?

Also, continuing the rag on that X-Men cover, the skin-tight waders look never made sense to me.