Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

It's pretty amazing, just by skiing or riding here regularly your skills increase immensely, and there are always people going bigger and pushing harder. The vibes amongst most of the regulars in LCC are incredible, even when you don't know the other people it's always such a cool place to recreate.

That's an awesome vid from baldy! Looks like you and the wife were really getting after it, and yeah saturday was AWESOME, so many leftovers. Even on sunday there was plenty of good stuff left.

If you can believe it, I was lapping the baldy chutes last may when a couple folks hit main chute on mountain bikes. The rest of us up top were like "that's one way to do it I guess?" but those people seriously bootpacked up baldy with friggin' bikes on their backs! The consensus up top after they dropped in was a) that was nuts and b) we'd rather be on skis or boards. :D

Thanks, we were trying! Gotta get while the getting is good. Even so, we're absolutely going to have to come back. The immediate access to steep terrain is just incredible. We managed to tick off a couple of the big hitters in the Chuting Gallery and got lucky on a number of days of inbounds skiing, but now there's all kinds of lines calling out that felt insane a month ago. This is probably not good for my long-term health and wellbeing.

All that said, I can't imagine riding that terrain on a bike. Props to the crew, hope they got their sponsorship out of it lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

spwrozek posted:

Yeah I read that a few weeks ago. I have to take a big grain of salt with anything from wild snow/CCB in relation to race gear, skinny skis in general. They are kind of anti split board imo and push that everyone should be on 75-85 mm skis because they are so much better (lighter) on the uphill. Very true but don't poo poo on people who like or ride heavy setups. Nothing wrong with being more about the down than the up. I get a little salty about it.

Yeah they're big ol weight weenies and it gets stupid. Like, if I want to do the Grand Traverse or Power of Four, absolutely. But for getting after good lines in the backcountry? I'm going to take 10 extra minutes on the climb and not hate myself, life, and everything in the descent.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Whistler is closed for the season and the comments are endless entitled bitching about not getting to use the rest of their season passes

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Fifty Three posted:

Whistler is closed for the season and the comments are endless entitled bitching about not getting to use the rest of their season passes

Yeah, because loving morons couldn’t stay home during a pandemic and just HAD to go to apres and then have dinner before going back to Vancouver, or worse, travel from Quebec and Ontario during a pandemic. And now those of us who actually live here have been both overrun by covid from idiot tourists AND don’t get to spend the rest of our season skiing.

After we had the Christmas outbreak there was a huge call to stop people from coming from out of province, but no, the provincial government needed to get that spring break money in before shutting down the entire town.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Was it the government who closed Whistler or was it Vail who decided to do that? How long is the typical season there? I would imagine at least through April.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Was it the government who closed Whistler or was it Vail who decided to do that? How long is the typical season there? I would imagine at least through April.

The government ordered it closed for three weeks, they decided to call that the whole season. It's normally open until the May long weekend here at least, sometimes into June if there's enough snow.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.

HookShot posted:

Yeah, because loving morons couldn’t stay home during a pandemic and just HAD to go to apres and then have dinner before going back to Vancouver, or worse, travel from Quebec and Ontario during a pandemic. And now those of us who actually live here have been both overrun by covid from idiot tourists AND don’t get to spend the rest of our season skiing.

After we had the Christmas outbreak there was a huge call to stop people from coming from out of province, but no, the provincial government needed to get that spring break money in before shutting down the entire town.

I see you didn’t discover level orange extreme. Unfortunate.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Moot .1415926535 posted:

Very Danger Level Orange+

My favorite anime, actually

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

HookShot posted:

E;
I deleted my post, I have a place in Whistler (I’m there as I write this, my family bought it in 1967 but I don’t live here full time so, guess I’m not a local), and I think this is an oversimplification of a frustrating situation. I’m hugely frustrated by the closure and also by the behavior I’ve seen by many groups in the village this year, including staff and locals. It’s sad. It’s also a bit xenophobic to blame the dirty other, that’s not what really happened, but there’s other resolutions that could have been less drastic.

The apres and group issues I saw were not restricted to tourists, like at all. But you’re right that shouldn’t have been an option. Dining, drinking, and the Whistler vibe should not have been an option this year. I’m sorry your community is paying for that.

squirrelzipper fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Mar 31, 2021

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Eejit posted:

Yeah they're big ol weight weenies and it gets stupid. Like, if I want to do the Grand Traverse or Power of Four, absolutely. But for getting after good lines in the backcountry? I'm going to take 10 extra minutes on the climb and not hate myself, life, and everything in the descent.

That writer on Wildsnow outright said the race skis are dangerous in tricky snow and then immediately follows up saying he'll post updates after more backcountry trips on that setup. Pretty weird IMO. The big races here are pretty tough and for sure are in the backcountry (check the Mezzalama and how bad the pro skiers are doing downhill https://youtu.be/Rp6E6xfdPtg) but that's totally different from being out there with your buddy.

Even if he wants to go super lightweight there are surely better options than a 65mm ski.

In other news I now have a set of these in carbon on the way to use with the Hojis and try and find a balance between up and downhill.
https://moonlightmountaingear.com/collections/skiing/products/mission-skis?variant=32400250077235

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

HookShot posted:

The government ordered it closed for three weeks, they decided to call that the whole season. It's normally open until the May long weekend here at least, sometimes into June if there's enough snow.

Can you tour in the resort or is that verboten?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

squirrelzipper posted:

E;
I deleted my post, I have a place in Whistler (I’m there as I write this, my family bought it in 1967 but I don’t live here full time so, guess I’m not a local), and I think this is an oversimplification of a frustrating situation. I’m hugely frustrated by the closure and also by the behavior I’ve seen by many groups in the village this year, including staff and locals. It’s sad. It’s also a bit xenophobic to blame the dirty other, that’s not what really happened, but there’s other resolutions that could have been less drastic.

The apres and group issues I saw were not restricted to tourists, like at all. But you’re right that shouldn’t have been an option. Dining, drinking, and the Whistler vibe should not have been an option this year. I’m sorry your community is paying for that.

While I get this, keep in mind those of us who do live here have spent this entire ski season seeing absolutely nothing but thousands of people every single day travelling here from other places, hanging out and sharing hotel rooms with people who aren’t from their households, refusing to wear masks, and listening to them talk about how there’s a “Whistler bubble” and they’re safe here so they don’t have to be careful.

Yes, there were some very stupid decisions made by locals. But it starts with people bringing the virus to our community from elsewhere. It is not a coincidence that our two enormous outbreaks were immediately after Christmas and immediately after spring break in Quebec ended.

It’s been a super frustrating year for locals in general—we very much feel like we’ve been thrown under the bus by the provincial government in the name of tourist dollars—and forcing the mountain to close instead of taking literally any other steps they could take is a huge punch in the gut. Keep in mind that at this point something like 12% of the entire town has been infected in 2021 ALONE because they decided they needed that sweet, sweet spring break money.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

knox_harrington posted:

Can you tour in the resort or is that verboten?

Nope, it’s all closed off.

Moot .1415926535 posted:

LOL this sounds very American.

FWIW I think the mountain probably should be shut down, but I’m very disappointed that the government did literally nothing to try and stop that from happening first. Like, for gently caress’s sake there is literally one road in and out. It’s the easiest place ever to put a checkpoint to make sure people from Vancouver Coastal Health are coming up and nowhere else.

HookShot fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Mar 31, 2021

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
Orange extreme was the level of lockdown they made up between orange and red here so they didn’t have to totally shut down. One end of the county is basically unpopulated desert while the other is a ski resort that was having a bad case spike, so they got creative with the averages. They probably should’ve shut down but, as you said, tourist dollars.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
Really hoping the Whistler restrictions don’t result in everyone who was planning a spring trip to come to Banff instead but it may happen. Town is already nuts on weekends, like no room at all to distance on sidewalks because it’s wall to wall and huge lines waiting for restaurants.

Be a cold day in hell before the Alberta’s government closes resorts again though.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Moot .1415926535 posted:

Orange extreme was the level of lockdown they made up between orange and red here so they didn’t have to totally shut down. One end of the county is basically unpopulated desert while the other is a ski resort that was having a bad case spike, so they got creative with the averages. They probably should’ve shut down but, as you said, tourist dollars.
Oh man. Yeah, that sucks. We should have shut down the resort for spring break before waiting for all the tourists to come and start the infection game all over, and it probably would have allowed us to have a rest of the season. While 12% of our town has been infected so far in 2021 alone, only 2% of the rest of the province has had covid. It's insane.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

Really hoping the Whistler restrictions don’t result in everyone who was planning a spring trip to come to Banff instead but it may happen. Town is already nuts on weekends, like no room at all to distance on sidewalks because it’s wall to wall and huge lines waiting for restaurants.

Be a cold day in hell before the Alberta’s government closes resorts again though.
I'd bet everyone from Ontario is going to head to Banff, since their spring break doesn't start for another week, and Whistler was going to be the only BC resort still open for skiing by then.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Genuine question, and one I shouldn't have to ask because in a sane world our respective governments would be supporting us during a lockdown anyway, but- could a place like Whistler survive with just locals during a season? I have a hard time believing that lift-served skiing is a safe activity at all regardless of the travel it takes to get to a hill, but maybe that's just my psyche cracking from Week 55.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I feel like lift served skiing is very safe. Not only are you wearing masks but most people wear goggles as well, along with gloves. So in addition to being more bundled up and covered than you would be in most other situations there is a fair amount of wind and unless there is a line you are pretty well spaced out. Some resorts have been a lot better than others about creating a safe environment though, at least in regards to mask requirements and enforcement.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
Lines aside I’ve felt the skiing is actually pretty safe yeah. If everyone just came to ski and the went home we probably wouldn’t have a problem but like others pointed out you have to go to apres and shopping downtown too.

Then there’s all the poor staff living in communal housing where as soon as anyone is infected it spreads like wildfire.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

HookShot posted:

While I get this, keep in mind those of us who do live here have spent this entire ski season seeing absolutely nothing but thousands of people every single day travelling here from other places, hanging out and sharing hotel rooms with people who aren’t from their households, refusing to wear masks, and listening to them talk about how there’s a “Whistler bubble” and they’re safe here so they don’t have to be careful.

Yes, there were some very stupid decisions made by locals. But it starts with people bringing the virus to our community from elsewhere. It is not a coincidence that our two enormous outbreaks were immediately after Christmas and immediately after spring break in Quebec ended.

It’s been a super frustrating year for locals in general—we very much feel like we’ve been thrown under the bus by the provincial government in the name of tourist dollars—and forcing the mountain to close instead of taking literally any other steps they could take is a huge punch in the gut. Keep in mind that at this point something like 12% of the entire town has been infected in 2021 ALONE because they decided they needed that sweet, sweet spring break money.

Oh yeah it’s been handled incredibly poorly. Super frustrating that this is the end result.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
https://globalnews.ca/news/7730365/covid-19-revelstoke-mountain-resort-closure/

Revelstoke shut too. I'm in danger.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Fifty Three posted:

Genuine question, and one I shouldn't have to ask because in a sane world our respective governments would be supporting us during a lockdown anyway, but- could a place like Whistler survive with just locals during a season? I have a hard time believing that lift-served skiing is a safe activity at all regardless of the travel it takes to get to a hill, but maybe that's just my psyche cracking from Week 55.
It depends on what you call a local. If you mean someone who just lives in Whistler full time (which is what those of us who live here refer to as locals) then there's no chance. I mean, maybe for a season or two, especially with the government handouts happening during covid, but longer term and during normal circumstances? Nah. There's a total population here of like 10,000 people. Even if every single person bought a $1k pass that's 10,000,000, and I have to imagine it costs more than that to run the largest ski area in North America by acreage. Plus a bunch of people don't buy passes. And the hotels would all go under.

If you include Vancouverites, it becomes more feasible. In 2008, when tourism from the USA completely cratered, people from Vancouver rallied and a ton of people bought passes to help support the mountain, which basically helped keep them going through that particular rough patch.

The thing is, it's actually very safe to ski even coming from the city, if all you're doing is skiing. That's what our health officer said. Drive to the mountain, do your skiing, drive home. The problem is, people were driving to the mountain, doing their skiing, making a reservation in the lodge for lunch, then coming down in the valley at three and going "well apres is an essential part of skiing, better have that beer" and going to a bar for an hour, then thinking "well it's dinner time now" and going to a different restaurant for dinner, and then driving back to the city.

And that doesn't even include destination guests. According to the tourism board hotels have been seeing 15% of the regular number of destination guests this year. That's still literally thousands of people a week. It's 1.5k instead of 20k, sure, but that's still over a thousand people a week who have travelled long distances, often across the country, to get to Whistler to enjoy their holiday. And all of them are going out regularly to restaurants, etc. At Christmas and spring break the village was PACKED with people. Completely packed.

squirrelzipper posted:

Oh yeah it’s been handled incredibly poorly. Super frustrating that this is the end result.
Totally. There were so many steps that could have been taken ahead of this, and instead it feels like the entire population here was thrown under the covid bus in the name of the economy AND now we've had the "locals time" part of the season taken away after having to cater to tourists all year. There are a lot of very angry people here right now, and rightfully so, IMO.

Hell, even if they'd forced a shorter shutdown over spring break it would have been a lot better, because then there wouldn't have been the second giant outbreak. But hey, gotta get that sweet, sweet tourism money and then blame locals who live in cramped staff housing for "having parties" and opposed to "living on top of each other because this town is stupidly expensive"

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

Lines aside I’ve felt the skiing is actually pretty safe yeah. If everyone just came to ski and the went home we probably wouldn’t have a problem but like others pointed out you have to go to apres and shopping downtown too.

Then there’s all the poor staff living in communal housing where as soon as anyone is infected it spreads like wildfire.
The lines are why I specified lift-served, that's my primary concern. Totally agree that once you're on snow it's probably relatively safe, but I'm not sure I agree that lines are safe.

RE: locals, yeah, that's sort of what I was trying to clarify. Are Vancouverites locals or tourists when referring to "prevent tourists from bringing Covid in," etc. Anywhere outside of Whistler is going to be infected, but >0 places outside of Whistler are required to keep it afloat. Tough situation.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Fifty Three posted:

The lines are why I specified lift-served, that's my primary concern. Totally agree that once you're on snow it's probably relatively safe, but I'm not sure I agree that lines are safe.

RE: locals, yeah, that's sort of what I was trying to clarify. Are Vancouverites locals or tourists when referring to "prevent tourists from bringing Covid in," etc. Anywhere outside of Whistler is going to be infected, but >0 places outside of Whistler are required to keep it afloat. Tough situation.

Dr. Henry (our doc in charge) said that it's fine for people to drive up to ski, do their skiing, then head home. And on the mountains, actions generally WERE safe. People were maintaining 6 feet distance in lines (more or less), they had staff standing around and telling people to leave space or put their masks up if they weren't doing it, that sort of thing. I think the mountain did do as good a job as they could have to keep people safe, and I'm not usually the kind to say nice things about VR lol. Outdoor transmission with masks has been proven to be incredibly low (there were no superspreader outbreaks linked to the BLM protests for example, and there were a lot of people masked and standing way closer than 6 feet to each other for long periods of time there), so actual skiing isn't the biggest risk. But people just couldn't stick to JUST skiing, and it ruined the season.

Basically, for the purposes of your question, I consider someone who drove up, skied, and left to be "local". I consider someone who went into the lodge for lunch, had apres at Tapleys, then dinner at Creekbread or whatever to be a tourist. They did touristy things when they were up here beyond coming up to exercise.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

At least it sounds like you had less crowds than usual while things were open. I think COVID actually drove more people to Truckee/Squaw than a normal season, at least mid-week, which was awful.

Not meaning to rub it in, I'm glad we're well into spring now and I can ride out April and May with no crowds finally.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

Fifty Three posted:

Lines on weekdays have generally not been too bad other than powder days. In lift lines as long as they're short people are spacing out.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
It was super crowded on weekends and through the Christmas season, the booking system was fully loaded. And while spring break was quiet compared to most years, it was packed in the village.

But overall, yeah, it wasn't crowded at all this year compared to most. Basically any weekday outside holidays if there wasn't any fresh snow you could walk right onto the lift, and I don't think I waited more than five minutes for a chair all season. But I also didn't ski a single weekend or holiday day.

Spring skiing is hands down my favourite time of year and I'm super bummed that for the second year in a row now I'm not going to get to do it.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Hitting Breck with some friends on Saturday morning. Crowd size is gonna be a crap shoot... On the one hand, MOST schools' spring breaks are over, but it's also Easter weekend. Thankfully we've all had at least one dose of the vax (actually I think I'm the only one who isn't fully vaxxed). Still planning on masking and since there's 4 of us, no one can hop on the lift with us last second.

Also, I just got some Anon M2 goggles with a magnetic neck gaiter/mask and it's fuckin sweet!

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
No matter how dumb it looks I wore a KN95 mask while snowboarding and working ski racing all winter. I was by far in the minority as everyone else used cloth masks and neck gaiters but somehow Mountain Creek did enforce masks (and distancing to a lesser extent) and came out unscathed. Unlike Hunter we never had an outbreak or had to shut. It helped that we're in no way a destination resort although as the closest resort to NYC we had to deal with people from the city all winter.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

HookShot posted:

It was super crowded on weekends and through the Christmas season, the booking system was fully loaded. And while spring break was quiet compared to most years, it was packed in the village.

But overall, yeah, it wasn't crowded at all this year compared to most. Basically any weekday outside holidays if there wasn't any fresh snow you could walk right onto the lift, and I don't think I waited more than five minutes for a chair all season. But I also didn't ski a single weekend or holiday day.

Spring skiing is hands down my favourite time of year and I'm super bummed that for the second year in a row now I'm not going to get to do it.

Same, we did 10 days, not a single weekend or holiday period and it was deserted. Used our last edge day on Monday, was planning on going up yesterday and today but uh, we’re walking the dogs around the lake instead.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

How stable is the snowpack in the Whistler backcountry right now? I know with spring rolling through things will settle in, but this feels like a good way to overcrowd the backcountry, though I suppose it's loving vast.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

highme posted:

How stable is the snowpack in the Whistler backcountry right now? I know with spring rolling through things will settle in, but this feels like a good way to overcrowd the backcountry, though I suppose it's loving vast.

It's pretty stable right now. There is tons of space out there, but there are also morons. I'm expecting S&R will have a busier time than usual this spring.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
So looks like Ikon isn't doing anything to respond to Epic, right?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Residency Evil posted:

So looks like Ikon isn't doing anything to respond to Epic, right?

I would not expect them to do anything at this point.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Question to the racers/ex-racers like Hookshot and Steve French but are dryland summer camps worth it? The kids have teammates going to some week long dryland summer camps for racers but we have LAX and field hockey camps to consider as well. Did any of you do dryland camps?

Also for summer non-dryland camps I've heard Hood is insanely crowded in summer. How is it these days?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

ironlung posted:

Correct, you should have about 7mm difference between stated width and brake width before you need to bend and even if you do it's nbd

E: if you need bindings, Corbetts is running a sale on Pivots and they have 115mm in stock as I'm typing this. These prices should be CAD too... great deals if you are buying with freedom dollars: https://www.corbetts.com/search?search_query=look+pivot&queryAssumption=correction

Thanks for posting this, I ended up at 40% off.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Yuns posted:

Question to the racers/ex-racers like Hookshot and Steve French but are dryland summer camps worth it? The kids have teammates going to some week long dryland summer camps for racers but we have LAX and field hockey camps to consider as well. Did any of you do dryland camps?

Also for summer non-dryland camps I've heard Hood is insanely crowded in summer. How is it these days?

I've never done dryland camps. Honestly, if you're thinking your kids are eventually going to make WC it might be worth it just to get them used to the higher-level intensity workouts they'll be doing when they get to that point, but if not then I mean, if it works for the schedule and they want to do it, go for it. I imagine at their age it'll mostly just be mountain biking and games anyway. But I wouldn't worry if you can't do it.

Hood is always crowded because it's the only place in America where you can train in the summer, yeah. But it's fine. Summer ski camps are a really fun experience and I wouldn't skip it because you're worried about crowds (beside covid worries, of course). You're going to have crowds everywhere where there's skiing between May and November.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Looks like I’m going Epic for the first time. So long for now, Winter Park. It’s been a solid 30ish years.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Yuns posted:

I've been up on midweek days when both ski racers & freestyle camps are going full speed and never really experienced what I'd call "crowding". Regardless your kids will be relegated to whichever lane on Palmer their camp gets to use for training, essentially 3-4 cats wide. The racers tend to load at the midway station and only lap the top half for their training (and are usually on their way in to watch film when the snow starts to soften up to the point the rest of us enjoy it). I would suggest if you're going to do it, send them to a session as early as possible so they can still ski all the way down to the lodge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Annual alta/bird patrol april fools shenanigans:

Apparently that monolith is cemented in, that's on high rustler at alta