Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Shiroc posted:

Cranston Dad and Wolf Dad are the same character though and its kinda funny. Cranston is just a far superior actor and he dies in the first act. Both are 'grieving white dad who is smarter than everyone else with superior understanding of bioacoustics and how they relate to the Titans.'

Also they're both absentee fathers whose obsessions distanced them from their children, and they both had to stand by and watch helplessly while their spouses heroically sacrificed themselves saving others during kaiju attacks. They really really are the same characters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Cranston is a lot more antagonistic to the system, which is good because Monarch is basically evil.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Also they're both absentee fathers whose obsessions distanced them from their children, and they both had to stand by and watch helplessly while their spouses heroically sacrificed themselves saving others during kaiju attacks. They really really are the same characters

Was it stated that wolf guy left because he was obsessed with wolves and/or Godzilla? I took it as a marriage destroyed by the death of a child (something very common). We know he hates Godzilla but he doesn't spend his every waking minute trying to destroy him, quite the opposite, he runs away from it. I don't know, I see it more as mishandled grief than obsession, maybe they are one and the same.

Cranston's wife didn't sacrifice herself did she? I thought she just had lovely luck.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Wolf Dad specifically mentions that he became an alcoholic after his son died. Presumably he just deteriorated from grief and lost his job at Monarch on account of wanting to murder the Titans.

As far as Cranston's wife, she did just die incidentally as a result of the MUTO. Cranston had her go check the reactor to see what was up, then got caught when it went critical because of the MUTO arriving.

They're not exactly the same character but they have somewhat similar interchangeability to the various journalists, military guys and plucky girl reporters of the Showa Godzillas. Wolf Dad's weird growling delivery even comes off as something Cranston could have delivered more naturally.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
IIRC she just ran out of time to escape safely.

Both families are destroyed because of a loss attributed in some way to Godzilla, but that’s where the similarities end because the way all the characters deal with that loss is very different. Cranston becomes obsessed, Wolf Dad buries himself in other work and runs away, Monarch Mom becomes a terrorist.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I'll be hosting a Discord Stream/Scener watch party for GvK this Wed for anyone who wants to join :)

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I'm rewatching Godzilla '14 on HBOmax (still dope af) and there's one thing I still can't figure out -- what exactly causes the explosion that takes out the MUTO egg nest? Brody smashes open a hydrant, which starts pouring water on... something? A bundle of cables? And then suddenly the whole thing goes up like wildfire. Maybe I'm hella dumb but I can't grok the exact cause and effect here.

Non Compos Mentis
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

McSpanky posted:

I'm rewatching Godzilla '14 on HBOmax (still dope af) and there's one thing I still can't figure out -- what exactly causes the explosion that takes out the MUTO egg nest? Brody smashes open a hydrant, which starts pouring water on... something? A bundle of cables? And then suddenly the whole thing goes up like wildfire. Maybe I'm hella dumb but I can't grok the exact cause and effect here.

He smashes off the outlet of a petrol tanker.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

SuddenCactus posted:

He smashes off the outlet of a petrol tanker.

McSpanky posted:

Maybe I'm hella dumb

called it

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I think Juliette Binoche actively calls Cranston on the radio and tells him to close the doors. That's such an incredible scene. Just a massive gut punch of a horrifying and sad situation delivered before any monster has even shown up.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Karloff posted:

I think Juliette Binoche actively calls Cranston on the radio and tells him to close the doors. That's such an incredible scene. Just a massive gut punch of a horrifying and sad situation delivered before any monster has even shown up.

Yeah she goes in hoping to make it out, but I always got the impression that she knew she might not be coming out.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Oh god I'm so tempted https://cospa.co.jp/detail/id/00000105616/selected/true

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Do it! That’s incredible. The color scheme is gorgeous.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

It's a matter of money more than anything. I've pre-purchased a few things from Japan recently and this would be more than I have budgeted for. I'll check back on it in a month probably. There's a cheaper version without the company logo on the back but what's the point of that?

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Shin Godzilla

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

lmbo

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

That jacket rules but I'm cursed to never be able to get cool Japanese clothing due to my fatass American body.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Bootleg Trunks posted:

Shin Godzilla

Shin Dogzilla

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

It's a matter of money more than anything. I've pre-purchased a few things from Japan recently and this would be more than I have budgeted for. I'll check back on it in a month probably. There's a cheaper version without the company logo on the back but what's the point of that?

Holy poo poo I clicked the link and its $240 CAD!! Wow. :lol:

Easy pass - cool but gently caress me that's expensive for what looks to be a drat wind breaker.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah but I’m a sucker for stuff like this lol.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

McSpanky posted:

I always remembered it as him tossing a flare in there (as he should have some) to ignite it, but upon rewatch, nope, no such scene, it just skips straight to it lighting up. I feel there was a scene cut there, but I guess your mind fills it in well enough.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
There is a very quick cut to a burning rag or something. It isn't very well conveyed but 'liquid' and 'fire' are both shown.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Saw the movie. It's by far the stupidest of the four, but the fights are extremely satisfying.

I know the human stuff is usually not very good in these, but I feel that the other movies tried. This one feels like they're just shrugging because everyone's just powering through these scenes anyway, so why put in the effort? The characters dealing with Kong aren't so bad all in all, but the Millie Bobby Brown subplot is just awful.

Still, really fun for what it was, but don't expect it to build on the growing scale of KotM.

Also, the introduction to Hollow Earth feels like a weird mix between the Avatar ride at Disney World and the current Kong ride.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Rewatching G’14 and realizing EVERYTHING in KOTM was inspired by this movie but just cranked up to 11.

Bryan Cranston is tracking the frequencies of the MUTO’s “talking”, becoming KOTM communication box.

Sirazawa calls Godzilla an alpha predator, this becomes KOTM’s alpha storyline.

Losing track of Godzilla in the ocean became the hollow earth.

It also takes some things and retcons them like the thread has talked about. (The MUTOs originally absorbed the leaked radiation in Japan and the abandoned city was overtaken by nature, this became KOTM “radiation causes life in the monsters wake.”)

I’m noticing more and more direct inspirations even down to little details. I wouldn’t be surprised if the quick cutaway to a wolf running in G’14 was what inspired wolf dad’s job in KOTM where he’s recording wolves feeding.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
It's the east coast and I want to watch my big monkey/lizard romance movie nooooow.. :smith:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
That was an extremely dumb movie, but I didn’t hate it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
this movie is operates on the same goofy pseudo-science logic as KotM except without the constant wink-nudge "wow, that just happened" bullshit or having the human characters tediously explain things you just saw to the camera. it's amazing how much that basic confidence in itself and its audience improves the experience

e: also has the correct outcome for the titular versus match :v:

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Mar 31, 2021

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

If Legendary Pictures had any balls at all, every Kaiju would have gigantic loving tumors growing on it, or be suffering from stomach or bowel cancer, or both, from feasting on so much radiation and furthermore

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

or having the human characters tediously explain things you just saw to the camera

You say this, but that’s basically the only point of the entire side plot with Brian Tyree Henry and the two kids. They only exist to provide background and explanation for how MechaGodzilla exists. Nothing they do has any real impact on the larger plot, save for distracting MechaG for a fraction of a second at the very end.

And, while I’m complaining, Godzilla also had no character in this movie. He’s just a mindless plot device. It’s 100% Kong’s movie.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I have watched Godzilla VS Kong

This is an incredibly dumb movie and I love it dearly

That's the review. That's it.

Now I'm going to watch it five more times before Friday

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

This is a Transformers movie without quite the energy of Michael Bays direction.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Darko posted:

This is a Transformers movie without quite the energy of Michael Bays direction.

Or ogling of women

Lots of Kong rear end tho

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Kong saved the day at the end, but Godzilla is definitely the apex titan.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Kong is the absolute star of this dumbass movie.

I’m a little peeved that MechaG had no real personality, especially coming off the heels of Petty gently caress Rodan in KOTM.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
on further reflection i think the most interesting thing about the movie is the implication that this ancient society of Kongs and/or Kong-worshipers also did godzilla-necromancy, and it ended about as well for them as creating MechaGodzilla would have ended for us if Godzilla and Kong hadn't been there to put a stop to it. Godzilla might be an avatar of the natural order but Kongs are basically just big people, and King Kong bonded with Jia because they're both the sole survivors of a civilization-destroying cataclysm

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice
So do I need to watch Skull Island for context before seeing GvK?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Mr. Funktastic posted:

So do I need to watch Skull Island for context before seeing GvK?

You should watch it because it’s a great movie.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Kong is the absolute star of this dumbass movie.

I’m a little peeved that MechaG had no real personality, especially coming off the heels of Petty gently caress Rodan in KOTM.

Monster acting in kom was better. Kong as an ape is easy mode. Godzilla was better in the previous two, plus the before mentioned lack of personality.

Still enjoyed it.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

this movie is operates on the same goofy pseudo-science logic as KotM except without the constant wink-nudge "wow, that just happened" bullshit or having the human characters tediously explain things you just saw to the camera. it's amazing how much that basic confidence in itself and its audience improves the experience

e: also has the correct outcome for the titular versus match :v:

You know it always bugs me people harping on the "wolf packs don't really have alphas, that's pseudoscience based on observing zoo specimens" thing. Like yes, it's pseudoscience that you're basing the plot of your movie on, but I don't see nearly as many people complaining about all the psychic powers and flying saucers and poo poo in the older movies. And I never hear anyone complain about loving Atlantis being in KotM, and that poo poo's purestrain pseudoscience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Asterite34 posted:

You know it always bugs me people harping on the "wolf packs don't really have alphas, that's pseudoscience based on observing zoo specimens" thing. Like yes, it's pseudoscience that you're basing the plot of your movie on, but I don't see nearly as many people complaining about all the psychic powers and flying saucers and poo poo in the older movies. And I never hear anyone complain about loving Atlantis being in KotM, and that poo poo's purestrain pseudoscience.

I think the difference is that psychic powers and flying saucers and all that are just obviously silly, hokey poo poo, whereas "alpha wolf/pack mentality" pseudoscience plays a very active role in contemporary discourse and ideology.

Like, most people think UFO nuts are whackos, but people take Jordan Peterson depressingly seriously