Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Alhazred posted:

There was trouble between Jackson and New Line way before the Hobbit too. Jackson asked about where his cut of the profits from the movie was, New Line claimed that the movies never made a profit, Jackson then asked to see the accounting books, New Line's answer was "sue us", which Jackson then did.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollywood_accounting

quote:

According to Lucasfilm, Return of the Jedi, despite having earned $475 million at the box office against a budget of $32.5 million, "has never gone into profit".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Alhazred posted:

There was trouble between Jackson and New Line way before the Hobbit too. Jackson asked about where his cut of the profits from the movie was, New Line claimed that the movies never made a profit, Jackson then asked to see the accounting books, New Line's answer was "sue us", which Jackson then did.

Movie accounting is like one of the most complex forms of accounting the world. I have a masters degree in accounting and I've studied advanced valuation techniques that involve things like monte carlo simulations and real options analysis, and let me tell you, the thought of getting to do moving accounting is really loving exciting for a big ol excel nerd like me.

There's a piece floating around on how Uwe Boll has made a career making awful movies (and beating up wife beaters) and it is 100% an accounting exercise.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

pseudanonymous posted:

There's a piece floating around on how Uwe Boll has made a career making awful movies (and beating up wife beaters) and it is 100% an accounting exercise.

Uwe Boll's financers are basically exploiting a loophole in german tax laws. They don't care if the movies are good or profitable.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Uwe Boll gets infinite credit from me for making this. Must watch material
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rampage:_President_Down

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Hopefully they realize with source material where a man gets beheaded and a child gets crippled in the very first opening beats, they go with some hardcore loving metal tracks.

TERFherder
Apr 26, 2010

удар в шкурові кульки

pseudanonymous posted:

Movie accounting is like one of the most complex forms of accounting the world. I have a masters degree in accounting and I've studied advanced valuation techniques that involve things like monte carlo simulations and real options analysis, and let me tell you, the thought of getting to do moving accounting is really loving exciting for a big ol excel nerd like me.

This is pretty fascinating. Yall remember that big SONY US hack a few years ago? I wonder how much that kind of accounting information is worth.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

TERFherder posted:

This is pretty fascinating. Yall remember that big SONY US hack a few years ago? I wonder how much that kind of accounting information is worth.

The best email out of that bunch was the one from Sony's then-president to the accounting department asking them in plain text how the gently caress Adam Sandler kept getting like $80 million dollar movie budgets and turning in finished product that look like they they only cost like $10 million to make, if even.

TERFherder
Apr 26, 2010

удар в шкурові кульки

nine-gear crow posted:

The best email out of that bunch was the one from Sony's then-president to the accounting department asking them in plain text how the gently caress Adam Sandler kept getting like $80 million dollar movie budgets and turning in finished product that look like they they only cost like $10 million to make, if even.

That's loving hilarious. I was hoping that more of the dump would be available at some point via torrent, but I'm not really wired into that scene. I find the internal workings of entertainment companies amazing.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

TERFherder posted:

It's actually really hosed up, in some ways because the studios are really good at having situations where like character actors who in theory get a piece of profits instead get net instead of gross, or like the movie is owned by one company and that is the production company, which has a not arms length relationship with the distributor, so the actors contractors are for profit for the production company, but the distributor charges the production company so much for distribution rights that a the film "loses money" or like they own a catering company and cater the production and charge absurd amounts, things like that. The sad part is, while some of it is clever and some interesting, the bottom line is it's the little people in Hollywood basically getting screwed over for their work.

e.g. (from Wikipedia, but easy example)
According to Lucasfilm, Return of the Jedi, despite having earned $475 million at the box office against a budget of $32.5 million, "has never gone into profit".[7]

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

TERFherder posted:

That's loving hilarious. I was hoping that more of the dump would be available at some point via torrent, but I'm not really wired into that scene. I find the internal workings of entertainment companies amazing.

It should come as no surprise that shortly after that, Adam Sandler made his multi-picture deal with Netflix, because it was clear after Pixels that Sony was fed the gently caress up with Sandler using his films as giant money laundering operations to support all his washed out ex-SNL friends.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Sandler is another guy I can't be mad at. Dude just likes to take vacations with his friends and found a way to use his 90's popularity to do it. No one is losing money in the process (or if they are it's a film studio so who the gently caress cares) and he gets to take his family to Hawaii or South Africa for months at a time.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Yeah, I honestly respect the Sandler grift.

Get a bunch of soulless corporate hogs to hand your friends 9 figures to go to Hawaii for 3 months and come back with 90 minutes worth of Fart Vacation 3 to entertain the dumb shits of this dying empire. Good for him.

TERFherder
Apr 26, 2010

удар в шкурові кульки

nine-gear crow posted:

It should come as no surprise that shortly after that, Adam Sandler made his multi-picture deal with Netflix, because it was clear after Pixels that Sony was fed the gently caress up with Sandler using his films as giant money laundering operations to support all his washed out ex-SNL friends.

Honestly, is Sandler funny? Does he draw viewers? I'm not sure he's been funny since happy gilmore.

pseudanonymous posted:

It's actually really hosed up

I agree, it's really lovely. There is a certain wonder to it though. Sort of like when Monsanto truck accidentally spills a bunch of seed on your farm, then shows up later to sue you for growing it and demand the crop back.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

TERFherder posted:

Honestly, is Sandler funny? Does he draw viewers? I'm not sure he's been funny since happy gilmore.

He's incredibly funny in other people's hands. Also incredibly compelling as a dramatic actor in other people's hands as well. The Wedding Singer, Puch-Drunk Love, Reign Over Me, and Uncut Gems being the biggest examples of how good an actor Adam Sandler is when he actually gives a poo poo. Happy Gilmore and Billy Madison too.

When he tries to make movies himself, he's a talentlessly lazy grifter with nothing but transparent spite for everyone around him. Which makes it incredibly hard for me to enjoy the fact that he was ripping off giant scummy movie studios to the tune of hundreds of millions of dollars and getting away with it.

I sat through That's My Boy against my own will, that movie alone is proof positive of the active malice in Sandler's acts, and he has like a dozen more just as bad or worse to his name. So no, I can't even bring myself to respect him.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Mar 31, 2021

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/features/george-rr-martin-game-of-thrones-hbo-deal-b1824496.html

quote:

Saturday

Tried to go wild swimming but was accosted by an angry fan who had named her six-year-old daughter Daenerys. I replied saying she shouldnt have named her child after a book about magic snowmen, and that if she really spent any time on the forums she would have known better.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

He's incredibly funny in other people's hands. Also incredibly compelling as a dramatic actor in other people's hands as well. The Wedding Singer, Puch-Drunk Love, Reign Over Me, and Uncut Gems being the biggest examples of how good an actor Adam Sandler is when he actually gives a poo poo. Happy Gilmore and Billy Madison too.

When he tries to make movies himself, he's a talentlessly lazy grifter with nothing but transparent spite for everyone around him. Which makes it incredibly hard for me to enjoy the fact that he was ripping off giant scummy movie studios to the tune of hundreds of millions of dollars and getting away with it.

I sat through That's My Boy against my own will, that movie alone is proof positive of the active malice in Sandler's acts, and he has like a dozen more just as bad or worse to his name. So no, I can't even bring myself to respect him.
You're dead right about the rest, but apparently the spite is for the audience/general public. I've only got hearsay but he's got a reputation as one of the nicest guys in entertainment and that if you can get "in" under his umbrella you can be really well cared-for. You really never hear a bad word about him on the production side of things, apparently.

Not saying it makes him worthy of respect, just that his spite is definitely for the people who buy his stuff.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

TERFherder posted:

"We had an assistant named Dave Hill," said Benioff and Weiss. "One day last summer he walked into our office and said, 'you know that rising trend we see with Millennials with the really extreme forms of experiential exercise like Tough Mudder (a sort of filthy triathalon), the Color Run and even things like Hot Power Yoga, veganism, etc., Millennials will often post N.B.D. on their social media after doing it, as in No Big Deal, also known as the humble brag..doesn't it make sense if the dog (Sandor) could get into that in some way.hes super athletic, bendy, strong, intense.and its all NBD to him, of course.' 'You're right,' we said. 'That does make sense.' 'ES (Ed Sheeran) is the defining music for Millennials. Wondering if theres a Sheeran angle somewhere with Arya? Her movements are beautiful, would be awesome with a killer musician behind it.' This year, Dave Hill is a writer on the show."

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

On one hand this has goon influences on the other hand what self respecting bad threader doesn't know that gurm only 'writes' on an early 90s DOS machine running Wordstar 4.0

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
How did I not notice this sub is now called The Book Bran

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

nine-gear crow posted:

He's incredibly funny in other people's hands. Also incredibly compelling as a dramatic actor in other people's hands as well.

lmao

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Whats funny about this? Its definitely true.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I didn't like Uncut Gems but Sandler can act when he's directed well.

The RLM "investigation" of Jack and Jill was the last one of those that I really enjoyed. The grift combined with the utter hackery of the material is stunning.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Sandler may not be totally benign.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Collateral posted:

How did I not notice this sub is now called The Book Bran

It's been The Book Bran for like a year and a half now. I asked Jeffrey to change it back when I was a mod, and barely anyone has caught on yet. Hieronymous Alloy thought it was funny as poo poo.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

nine-gear crow posted:

It's been The Book Bran for like a year and a half now. I asked Jeffrey to change it back when I was a mod, and barely anyone has caught on yet. Hieronymous Alloy thought it was funny as poo poo.

It is. Its really weird how our brains just read words normally even if the interior letters are mixed up.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

I think it changed from 2019 Halloween names and didnt change back properly. It took me a couple months to notice too. I just assume its an homage to ASoIaF and the terrible GoT ending at this point.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
People who engage in Hollywood Accounting should be flayed by those they're stealing from.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah that wouldn't shock me. Last hill I'll ever die on is for Sandler.

Evil Fluffy posted:

People who engage in Hollywood Accounting should be flayed by those they're stealing from.
:hmmyes:

Ague Proof posted:

"We had an assistant named Dave Hill," said Benioff and Weiss. "One day last summer he walked into our office and said, 'you know that rising trend we see with Millennials with the really extreme forms of experiential exercise like Tough Mudder (a sort of filthy triathalon), the Color Run and even things like Hot Power Yoga, veganism, etc., Millennials will often post ‘N.B.D.’ on their social media after doing it, as in No Big Deal, also known as the ‘humble brag’..doesn't it make sense if the dog (Sandor) could get into that in some way….he’s super athletic, bendy, strong, intense….and it’s all NBD to him, of course.' 'You're right,' we said. 'That does make sense.' 'ES (Ed Sheeran) is the defining music for Millennials. Wondering if there’s a Sheeran angle somewhere with Arya? Her movements are beautiful, would be awesome with a killer musician behind it.' This year, Dave Hill is a writer on the show."
kind of threw up in my mouth a little.

TERFherder
Apr 26, 2010

удар в шкурові кульки

nine-gear crow posted:

I guess The Wedding Singer was the last decent movie I saw him in. I haven't seen the others you mentioned. I couldn't even handle the Trailer for "That's my boy".

TK-42-1 posted:

It is. Its really weird how our brains just read words normally even if the interior letters are mixed up.

I read this about 15 times making sure you didn't intentionally misspell any words.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

On one hand this has goon influences on the other hand what self respecting bad threader doesn't know that gurm only 'writes' on an early 90s DOS machine running Wordstar 4.0

loving Milennials GenZ

Ague Proof posted:

"We had an assistant named Dave Hill," said Benioff and Weiss. "One day last summer he walked into our office and said, 'you know that rising trend we see with Millennials with the really extreme forms of experiential exercise like Tough Mudder (a sort of filthy triathalon), the Color Run and even things like Hot Power Yoga, veganism, etc., Millennials will often post N.B.D. on their social media after doing it, as in No Big Deal, also known as the humble brag..doesn't it make sense if the dog (Sandor) could get into that in some way.hes super athletic, bendy, strong, intense.and its all NBD to him, of course.' 'You're right,' we said. 'That does make sense.' 'ES (Ed Sheeran) is the defining music for Millennials. Wondering if theres a Sheeran angle somewhere with Arya? Her movements are beautiful, would be awesome with a killer musician behind it.' This year, Dave Hill is a writer on the show."

I don't even know if this is parody. That's how poo poo those two are. But yeah, if this was the kind of crap Sony had floating around they definitely coughed up the money to those hackers not to release.

TERFherder
Apr 26, 2010

удар в шкурові кульки

It's a great time to be making a racially charged Western!

quote:

We talked to the producers about our concerns. They just told us, If you guys are so sensitive, you should leave. I was just standing there and got emotional and teary-eyed. I didnt want to cry, but the feeling just came over me. This is supposed to be a comedy that makes you laugh. A film like this should not make someone feel this way, she said.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

TERFherder posted:

His response to that was "they just didn't get the joke, it was all a misunderstanding"

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I think it was actually leaked details about Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix that brought Hollywood Accounting into the public light. That was before the Sony hack.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Every so often some credulous foreign investor think that the vfx industry is their way into the Hollywood money pit and negotiates a deal where they get a share of the film's profits in exchange for providing the vfx work at a bargain below cost. They nearly always never get a penny, and then realize they've established an entire vfx facility in an industry where even if they negotiated the way all the other vfx studios do, they'd only achieve a 5% margin in the best of cases. Whoops.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Also Harry Potter and the Hollywood Accounting sounds like it would be a way better story than the Cursed Child.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

TERFherder posted:

What are your views on Blazing Saddles? Tropic Thunder?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Hasselblad posted:

You first.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Hasselblad posted:

Oh hey everyone that loving guy showed up to tell us all about the fine nuances of racial comedy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpEeVzG22a4

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Hasselblad posted:

I dressed up as Kirk Lazarus from Tropic Thunder for Halloween back in college after some urging by friends to do it. Im not sure it would go over too well these days...

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Imagine thinking you're making a good point by comparing Blazing Saddles, a movie that constantly punches up, to a Sandler movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

latinotwink1997 posted:

I dressed up as Kirk Lazarus from Tropic Thunder for Halloween back in college after some urging by friends to do it. Im not sure it would go over too well these days...

It's an honor to have you posting with us, governor.