Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Have you pre-written it and are now releasing it, or are you just writing it as you go? Because I would find the latter very stressful!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

Ccs posted:

Hmm that's an interesting idea, I'm publishing something in April on Kindle Unlimited, as I hadn't considered Royal Road and it's ilk (Wattpad, etc.) to be serious ventures.

If I have something up on Amazon KDP for a year and have paid for some promotion and it's still not doing any numbers, should I consider taking it off KDP Select and putting it on other sites? I'm not really looking for money, mostly just readers, and I have an amazing cover from a big name illustrator (I'm hoping him sharing the cover around when it releases will help download numbers, cause he's has hundreds of thousands of followers across his social networks.)

This is all sort of a vanity project for me as a way to express some unencumbered creativity as my day job as a "creative" is just working inside some insipid client scripts. The fact that I might make some money on it is more of an inconvenience come tax time.

What's your release schedule like?

Take my advice with a grain of salt because I'm used to publishing romance novels into saturated markets where the book has to immediately take off within a few days or it's just "dead forever" and has no tail. With that said, Amazon does HEAVILY bias toward newer releases. If you release onto KU and it bombs--say that two months post release it's making less than $10 per day, the likelihood that it's ever going to pick up after that is almost nothing. You could release more stuff on that pen name and boost that old book up, but it's never likely to just take off crazily through Amazon's algorithms. If you released another book that the algorithms pushed, the old book might make sales strictly because the new book is so visible and it's boosting the old one.

So yes, if you are a year in and the book is doing nothing, 100% it's not worth keeping in KU. I'd say if it's doing nothing after two months it's worth pulling out before the contract renews on KU.

If you do a Royal Road release, I'd even consider just completely unpublishing from Amazon since people on RR won't have much incentive to pay you anything for chapters in advance if they could just go buy the full book on Amazon for a few dollars.

My release plan for Royal Road was that I had 100,000 words of the story written, and with that backlog built up, I started releasing a chapter every day (with 35 chapters in backlog). Since I'm so close to hitting the front page, I went up to two chapters per day this week, and then my backlog will be gone. I will settle in on three chapters per week, with each chapter being between 2-5k words (average about 3,000 words).

It's not exactly like Amazon, but from what I've experienced so far, Royal Road is heavily algorithm based too. The main way to pump the algorithms on Royal Road is to do daily chapter releases, so I'd strongly recommend having a nice bit done and edited before you start releasing any chapters. My cover is also from a pretty well known professional artist, but the covers on RR are generally REALLY BAD on average. You can get by with a bad cover, but I still strongly believe that a very good cover is going to be a huge bonus. Especially one that "reads" well at the super low resolution size that RR has for it's lists. Since you're hiring a good artist, you'll likely have an above average cover for the site.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

So I've been looking into promotional sites for when I publish on Kindle Unlimited and list the book as free for 5 days. But to line up the promotions I need to provide listing info on the book that won't be available until I actually publish, so realistically the promotions can't occur until 2 weeks after publication (from what I understand.) Sites I'm looking into are Just Kindle Books, Books Butterfly, Book Tweeters, Book Reader Magazine, Book Kitty, Discount Book Man, and Ebook Soda.

There's also The Fussy Librarian and Ereader New Today but those require at least 10 reviews and since I won't have that at launch I'll probably have to wait for the next promotion period to run on those sites.

Anyone have experience with any of these?

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Of the ones you listed, I've only ever used Fussy Librarian.

Most promo sites say all of that stuff but never enforce it at all. I typically will book promo for a book before it is even finished or has a cover. I just leave the fields blank and but "TBD" on a lot of the fields. I then aim to have my book go live 2-3 days before my promo starts hitting, and I have it spread out over 3-4 days so that one promo hits every day. The moment the book goes live I scramble to send the links to all of the places I booked promo for.

If you have existing books with reviews on your pen name that usually is fine. I would also just consider submitting and hoping it works and hoping they don't say anything. You really would prefer to have your promo hitting as close to release date as possible. Another option could be to do a pre-order so that you can send the links in to them, but be aware that a pre-order starts calculating your rank as soon as it goes up, and it is generally harder to make the pre-order get sales which will hurt your overall rank in the long run.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

There's a few that seem okay about booking closer to the day. I might divide the promos up into the easier to book ones closer to launch for 2 days, then a 3 day promo after a few weeks with those harder to book sites, then save Fussy Librarian for after I've got reviews.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Someone mentioned blogspot was the best option for their own website as it's easy to use and the customisation wasnt hidden behind a paywall. But this was about 7 years ago, sooooo for your personal sites, do you still use blogspot or is there another game in town?

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Breath Ray posted:

Someone mentioned blogspot was the best option for their own website as it's easy to use and the customisation wasnt hidden behind a paywall. But this was about 7 years ago, sooooo for your personal sites, do you still use blogspot or is there another game in town?

There are loads of options with free plans:
I run Wordpress and pay for my own website and domain name because I like having the control over it, but you could easily get started with any of the above. If you want your own URL, you can usually buy that separately and keep control of it, though upgrading to a paid plan on most of these services will generally include getting a custom domain name.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Leng posted:

There are loads of options with free plans:
I run Wordpress and pay for my own website and domain name because I like having the control over it, but you could easily get started with any of the above. If you want your own URL, you can usually buy that separately and keep control of it, though upgrading to a paid plan on most of these services will generally include getting a custom domain name.

Thanks, I used wordpress 10 years ago, just wondered what I can and can't do with a free wordpress account (does SEO suffer, can I embed videos, etc.) and how a free account with blogspot compares

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Wordpress.com runs the same software as self-hosting your own install of Wordpress, with the bonus of it always being up to date. SEO-wise, unless you're competing for the first page of Google search results for a highly contested search term, there's gonna be minimal difference. What will matter more is your web page copy, rather than where your website is hosted. Note if you don't buy your own URL, your website will be at yoursitename.wordpress.com as a subdomain of Wordpress–functionally this is just more annoying for readers to type, but most people are gonna Google you, or click a link from your ebook, so :shrug: if you don't want to spend the $10/year it doesn't matter that much.

Embedding videos, etc comes down to whether you're uploading it to your website, or if you're going to upload to YouTube (or similar) and then share embed on your website. Either way will work on most if not all places, though hosting videos on YouTube is better because sometimes your videos can get new eyeballs (and therefore you might get new fans) due to the YouTube Recommended videos or the Autoplay algorithms.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
that's very helpful, thanks for breaking it down so patiently. I do have my own domain (bought it yesterday for $10) but not sure if it's worth paying a further $100 to map wordpress to it because - as you say - people won't be typing it in anyway. on the other hand my main product I'm selling via the blog is my own translation work rather than an ebook, and it feels slightly less small time not to have wordpress in the url. sadly this looks to be something where i need to use my own judgement and appetite for spending rather than getting a definitive answer from the internet! noooooo haha

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Breath Ray posted:

that's very helpful, thanks for breaking it down so patiently. I do have my own domain (bought it yesterday for $10) but not sure if it's worth paying a further $100 to map wordpress to it because - as you say - people won't be typing it in anyway. on the other hand my main product I'm selling via the blog is my own translation work rather than an ebook, and it feels slightly less small time not to have wordpress in the url. sadly this looks to be something where i need to use my own judgement and appetite for spending rather than getting a definitive answer from the internet! noooooo haha

having your own domain name is good

paying for hosting is probably a better idea than hosting it yourself, though the latter is stupendously cheap (a suitable server on Hetzner is like 2.50 EUR/mo)

I self-host my stuff, but I'm actually a sysadmin so I'm powerfully aware of the security issues of maintaining WordPress.

(WP used to be quite bad for security, it's vastly better now but you must keep it up to date, and if anything bites you in the rear end it's likely to be an ill-maintained theme or plugin you installed)

Edwardly
Jun 28, 2011

There's also github pages + jekyll. You write markdown, put it in the right place, select a theme - there it all is. For free.

Definitely more technically challenging than base wordpress but I know lots of people that do it that don't know coding.

You can even use your own domain.

https://docs.github.com/en/github/working-with-github-pages/setting-up-a-github-pages-site-with-jekyll

I'd be happy to help you navigate that via PM, as well.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Has anyone here done a self-published children's picture book for the 0-5 age range?

I'm almost done with one (the last pages and back cover will be finished tomorrow) so getting ready to dive into the marketing side of it. It's a bilingual rhyming story book (i.e. it rhymes in both languages) that is like a cross between the Oliver Jeffers picture books, the Belle Yang picture books and Dr Seuss, aimed specifically at the bilingual parents living abroad. The most similar kind of self-published title I can see is the Mina Learns Chinese series.

So far, I've been watching a lot of YouTube videos from people self-publishing children's picture books, but wanted to see if anyone had thoughts on the following:

1. Is IngramSpark still the default go to or is KDP better?

2. Has anyone done a kids' ebook or audiobook*? I was originally planning to do print-only given it's aimed at such young kids but since the main point of the book is to learn the language, an audiobook seemed like it might be worthwhile? The bilingual aspect of the book makes it kind of weird though, like do I do one audio book per language or a combined version? And on the ebook side, we're signed up for Zoom language lessons and a lot of the kids are dialled in to the lesson on iPads so potentially an eBook version might be worth it.

3. Related to #2, has anyone done a self-published board book? Neither IngramSpark nor Amazon do board books, the random Googling I've done indicates most people self-publishing board books are either raising funds on Kickstarter/Indiegogo* or taking the risk of holding inventory themselves. Someone had good things to say about this place: https://hangtongprinting.en.alibaba....6fa226c0Pz2JI4 which incidentally also has the lowest minimum order quantity (100 units)

*Sanderson's illustrator is in the middle of a Kickstarter campaign for a lift-the-flap board book: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/izykstewart/monsters-dont-wear-underpants/description As part of the Kickstarter campaign video, they got Michael Kramer and Kate Reading to do a reading of just a digital version of the book. Since I've got such a niche market, I was planning on doing promotions mainly through Facebook groups, YouTube and a few bloggers rather than the typical routes, which meant that I was also debating just doing a YouTube read through of the book as a promotional thing.

Leng fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Mar 29, 2021

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Leng posted:

1. Is IngramSpark still the default go to or is KDP better?

In print quality? Kindle Print (and CreateSpace before it) literally use IngramSpark as their printer in the UK, so it'll be the same here, and I presume comparable quality elsewhere.

Is their four-colour any better? Cover colours - and indeed trim - are still wildly variable in my experience.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

What sorts of WordPress themes/plugins would you all say are essential for posting chapter-books to the web? I've worked with WordPress before (lot of breadth, very little depth) and am quite comfortable with the hosting side of things.

Most of the sites I've seen that post chapter books on WordPress sites (web novel mostly) seem pretty minimalistic. Anything that does the job in an interesting way or elegant way or is it all just nearly-default theme plus straightforward table of contents and leave it at that?

I thought about using something cool/quirky like Pollen, but can't justify spending the time learning something that niche right now.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

divabot posted:

In print quality? Kindle Print (and CreateSpace before it) literally use IngramSpark as their printer in the UK, so it'll be the same here, and I presume comparable quality elsewhere.

Is their four-colour any better? Cover colours - and indeed trim - are still wildly variable in my experience.

Ah, now that I didn't know. Further research seems to indicate I should just do both (https://selfpublishingadvice.org/use-both-kdp-print-and-ingram-spark-together/ so I guess I will be doing that. Especially because apparently Amazon hates Australia :psyduck: so that sucks for me.

Today I started reaching out for beta readers via Facebook groups. I was looking for 10 and got almost 70 responses in under 2 hours...and the sign ups are still coming in (tempted to cut it off but I'll let it run until the end of the week so I can collect more prospects). I'm a little floored that there's been such positive interest; I'm gonna pick 10 based on random number generator I guess and reach out to the rest on launch day with a discount code for their trouble.

I almost wasn't going to try for beta readers because I made the noob mistake of thinking "ah crap that's all too hard, I should just throw it up, post a link and see what happens" which is the stupidest thought process ever. Thankfully, the number of things to complete on web forms were overwhelming enough that I decided creating a sign up survey for beta readers would be easier instead. I'm really glad I did, because now I have some detailed answers to my earlier questions.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

divabot posted:

having your own domain name is good

paying for hosting is probably a better idea than hosting it yourself, though the latter is stupendously cheap (a suitable server on Hetzner is like 2.50 EUR/mo)

I self-host my stuff, but I'm actually a sysadmin so I'm powerfully aware of the security issues of maintaining WordPress.

(WP used to be quite bad for security, it's vastly better now but you must keep it up to date, and if anything bites you in the rear end it's likely to be an ill-maintained theme or plugin you installed)

thanks divabot. after i posted i remembered i have a free wordpress account for years ago with a few things published on it but i doubt the seo accumulated by then is worth anything.

Edwardly posted:

There's also github pages + jekyll. You write markdown, put it in the right place, select a theme - there it all is. For free.

Definitely more technically challenging than base wordpress but I know lots of people that do it that don't know coding.

You can even use your own domain.

https://docs.github.com/en/github/working-with-github-pages/setting-up-a-github-pages-site-with-jekyll

I'd be happy to help you navigate that via PM, as well.

this is really kind of you edwardly. what are the advantages of github + jekyll over wordpress? sounds like it might be a bridge too far for me technically...

just to keep this on topic, ive noticed dictating (in Apple Pages) is a great way to hit your 1000 words a day target. it takes a few minutes and unlike writing i feel less like editing as i go or getting bogged down crafting the perfect sentence. but im not sure what the end result will be like and if i'll need to rewrite everything at the end. have any of you tried dictating and how did you find it?

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Leng posted:

Ah, now that I didn't know. Further research seems to indicate I should just do both (https://selfpublishingadvice.org/use-both-kdp-print-and-ingram-spark-together/ so I guess I will be doing that. Especially because apparently Amazon hates Australia :psyduck: so that sucks for me.

Today I started reaching out for beta readers via Facebook groups. I was looking for 10 and got almost 70 responses in under 2 hours...and the sign ups are still coming in (tempted to cut it off but I'll let it run until the end of the week so I can collect more prospects). I'm a little floored that there's been such positive interest; I'm gonna pick 10 based on random number generator I guess and reach out to the rest on launch day with a discount code for their trouble.

I almost wasn't going to try for beta readers because I made the noob mistake of thinking "ah crap that's all too hard, I should just throw it up, post a link and see what happens" which is the stupidest thought process ever. Thankfully, the number of things to complete on web forms were overwhelming enough that I decided creating a sign up survey for beta readers would be easier instead. I'm really glad I did, because now I have some detailed answers to my earlier questions.

What FB groups do you like? I had joined a couple and they were really bad.

Edwardly
Jun 28, 2011

Breath Ray posted:

this is really kind of you edwardly. what are the advantages of github + jekyll over wordpress? sounds like it might be a bridge too far for me technically...

If you know markdown (see: reddit post formatting) you can write posts. No servers to mess with, no wordpress hosting woes, and $0 cost. If you decide to switch to wordpress, they have plugins to import markdown.

You put files in a directory, and they turn into webpages. That's about it. Github has a web UI that is very straightforward as well.

quote:

just to keep this on topic, ive noticed dictating (in Apple Pages) is a great way to hit your 1000 words a day target. it takes a few minutes and unlike writing i feel less like editing as i go or getting bogged down crafting the perfect sentence. but im not sure what the end result will be like and if i'll need to rewrite everything at the end. have any of you tried dictating and how did you find it?

That sounds like a dystopian nightmare. It feels like you'd get a similar effect by forcing yourself not to edit as you go. ..That would drive me mad..

Edwardly fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Mar 31, 2021

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Breath Ray posted:

oh, that's simple - you always have to rewrite!

but if it gets words out of you then it is GOOD and you should do it. the best software to use for writing is whatever gets words out that day.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Weebly let’s you run a 5 page site on your hosting for free. I have a $2.50/month plan from newtek hosting. Works great and was an easy setup.

newts
Oct 10, 2012
I found beta readers on https://www.reddit.com/r/BetaReaders/. Yes, I know it’s reddit, but they were actually very good. And quick. Your blurb needs to be interesting and the readers skew towards fantasy/sci-fi genres, but it wasn’t hard to get good responses.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

D-Pad posted:

What FB groups do you like? I had joined a couple and they were really bad.

It isn't a writing or reading oriented FB group, it's a couple of FB groups full of my target audience members (and I'm one myself). I joined the groups way before I ever thought of writing the book, because the struggle to raise a bilingual kid in a predominantly English speaking country is real. There's constant chatter about bilingual picture books (which for Cantonese is an underserved niche) and how to get them because they are really hard to source.

On top of all that, I really wanted to get some bilingual picture books for my daughter that were, you know, actual interesting stories, not just a vocab book in disguise. Then I realized I could just...write one and so I did. I spent today sending out a PDF copy to beta readers and partially setting up my website (so Script Frenzy is going to have to wait :sigh:) and tomorrow's task is to reach out to the Cantonese language YouTubers who target mainly English speakers to see if they'd like an ARC in exchange for doing a YouTube review or something.

On Wordpress chat: I set this one up on NearlyFreeSpeech using the WP-CLI (WordPress Command Line Interface) method and it was pretty easy. Now I'm in the middle of customizing my theme and writing the web copy (like not even the blurb, I finished writing the blurb at the beginning of this week).

EDIT: Oh and mailing list sign-ups. I was going to do a Mailchimp except they need a real physical address so now I have to organize a PO box before I can do that. Which is a distraction from the main stuff so I'm just getting individual permission through various Google Forms right now. There's a Google Sheets Mail Merge thing you can do with Gmail which is how I sent out my book to beta readers and the daily quota on Gmail is 100 recipients so I figure until I can hold out a little longer before I do all the PO box stuff. Then I will migrate it over to Mailchimp just in time for the launch so I can send a proper launch newsletter with Amazon links and asking people for reviews.

Still debating whether I should get people to do pre-orders. I have heard that pre-orders are good because they all count as sales on release day. But what sucks is if I could get a decent amount of pre-orders then instead of doing POD through IngramSpark I would just order a bigger run to be shipped to me and then organize shipping separately. But maybe that would be a logistical nightmare in itself. You know what, forget it I think I just talked myself out of doing that. I should just concentrate on launching the first book properly and iterate for the next one.

Leng fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Apr 1, 2021

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

I did a book on Royal Road that was moderately successful but still underperformed for me. I think it is a cool way to consider dipping your toes into self publishing something genre/nerdy. I did a video breaking down my thoughts and talking about what I learned from the experience:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57Rv0uwpRSA

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Leng posted:

It isn't a writing or reading oriented FB group, it's a couple of FB groups full of my target audience members (and I'm one myself). I joined the groups way before I ever thought of writing the book, because the struggle to raise a bilingual kid in a predominantly English speaking country is real. There's constant chatter about bilingual picture books (which for Cantonese is an underserved niche) and how to get them because they are really hard to source.

On top of all that, I really wanted to get some bilingual picture books for my daughter that were, you know, actual interesting stories, not just a vocab book in disguise. Then I realized I could just...write one and so I did. I spent today sending out a PDF copy to beta readers and partially setting up my website (so Script Frenzy is going to have to wait :sigh:) and tomorrow's task is to reach out to the Cantonese language YouTubers who target mainly English speakers to see if they'd like an ARC in exchange for doing a YouTube review or something.

On Wordpress chat: I set this one up on NearlyFreeSpeech using the WP-CLI (WordPress Command Line Interface) method and it was pretty easy. Now I'm in the middle of customizing my theme and writing the web copy (like not even the blurb, I finished writing the blurb at the beginning of this week).

EDIT: Oh and mailing list sign-ups. I was going to do a Mailchimp except they need a real physical address so now I have to organize a PO box before I can do that. Which is a distraction from the main stuff so I'm just getting individual permission through various Google Forms right now. There's a Google Sheets Mail Merge thing you can do with Gmail which is how I sent out my book to beta readers and the daily quota on Gmail is 100 recipients so I figure until I can hold out a little longer before I do all the PO box stuff. Then I will migrate it over to Mailchimp just in time for the launch so I can send a proper launch newsletter with Amazon links and asking people for reviews.

Still debating whether I should get people to do pre-orders. I have heard that pre-orders are good because they all count as sales on release day. But what sucks is if I could get a decent amount of pre-orders then instead of doing POD through IngramSpark I would just order a bigger run to be shipped to me and then organize shipping separately. But maybe that would be a logistical nightmare in itself. You know what, forget it I think I just talked myself out of doing that. I should just concentrate on launching the first book properly and iterate for the next one.

Honestly this sounds like something that could do really well on Kickstarter. Publishing projects for underserved communities or subjects tend to do well on there and you only have to print whatever you sell.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

angel opportunity posted:

I did a book on Royal Road that was moderately successful but still underperformed for me. I think it is a cool way to consider dipping your toes into self publishing something genre/nerdy. I did a video breaking down my thoughts and talking about what I learned from the experience:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57Rv0uwpRSA

Thanks for making this. I appreciate the behind the scenes look. The whole concept of Royal Road is fascinating, and I just encountered it in the web serial thread. And I'd never even heard of LitRPG until last year.

Not sure I want to write for it, but... it's worth keeping in mind anyway.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

D-Pad posted:

Honestly this sounds like something that could do really well on Kickstarter. Publishing projects for underserved communities or subjects tend to do well on there and you only have to print whatever you sell.

I have thought about that and will probably do a Kickstarter for a board book edition if the other editions do well. The downsides to a Kickstarter is a) I would have to organize all of the fulfilment logistics myself which sucks and b) there wouldn't be a presence on the main book selling channels. The good thing about my market is in theory I should have a long tail of sales post launch, because there are always bilingual people having kids and appropriate books are hard to find when you live overseas.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Fuschia tude posted:

Thanks for making this. I appreciate the behind the scenes look. The whole concept of Royal Road is fascinating, and I just encountered it in the web serial thread. And I'd never even heard of LitRPG until last year.

Not sure I want to write for it, but... it's worth keeping in mind anyway.

There’s a lot of a stuff on there other than litRPG. I read one for a while about an older woman who got sent back to her body as a teenager and got a second chance at life with all of her adult experience. It was set just like in high school and had no magic or weapons or other nerd poo poo

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Leng posted:

I have thought about that and will probably do a Kickstarter for a board book edition if the other editions do well. The downsides to a Kickstarter is a) I would have to organize all of the fulfilment logistics myself which sucks and b) there wouldn't be a presence on the main book selling channels. The good thing about my market is in theory I should have a long tail of sales post launch, because there are always bilingual people having kids and appropriate books are hard to find when you live overseas.

Backerkit is supposedly a big help to kickstarter project owners. I don't know much about it, but you might look into that. I know with some kickstarters they continue to sell the traditional way after the kickstarter ends so you could start there and then execute the sales plan you have now.

Either way I think you have a good shot at seeing success with this book. Underserved publishing projects do well outside of kickstarter as well.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

angel opportunity posted:

There’s a lot of a stuff on there other than litRPG. I read one for a while about an older woman who got sent back to her body as a teenager and got a second chance at life with all of her adult experience. It was set just like in high school and had no magic or weapons or other nerd poo poo

Sure. I meant I'm kind of fascinated with both that site and the LitRPG... genre? medium? simultaneously and separately. I should just read through some stories on that site and see. The issue is time.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Fuschia tude posted:

Sure. I meant I'm kind of fascinated with both that site and the LitRPG... genre? medium? simultaneously and separately. I should just read through some stories on that site and see. The issue is time.

it's basically original fanfic. Some of it's trash from kids having fun, a small amount is brilliant. Like in fanfic, you can do the thing where you make a name with excellent fanfic and seed an audience for your original work. You probably won't be E. L. James, but you could probably be Andrew Seiple.

(You've never heard of him? Fine! But he got a good audience for his original superhero and litRPG stuff seeded from his fanfiction. I'd recommend his Dire series to anyone who'd like a good slightly-gritty superhero series, and it's all on KU.)

divabot fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Apr 2, 2021

Camo Guitar
Jul 15, 2009

Leng posted:

Especially because apparently Amazon hates Australia :psyduck: so that sucks for me.

How recently did this kick in? I'm also here in Aus and had author copies come in last month.
(Also FedEx is beyond loving useless for delivery, I had to go hunting for my first batch of author copies. I had put on the wrong address (previous address) and after a bit of tracking I found them at a newsagency where they dropped the package off after bouncing a couple of times and left it there, washing their hands of it.)

Edit: just ordered another 3 to my address in nsw without a problem so you may be in luck!

Camo Guitar fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Apr 3, 2021

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Camo Guitar posted:

How recently did this kick in? I'm also here in Aus and had author copies come in last month.
(Also FedEx is beyond loving useless for delivery, I had to go hunting for my first batch of author copies. I had put on the wrong address (previous address) and after a bit of tracking I found them at a newsagency where they dropped the package off after bouncing a couple of times and left it there, washing their hands of it.)

Edit: just ordered another 3 to my address in nsw without a problem so you may be in luck!

Perhaps it's outdated info? The comments in the link were as recent as Nov 2020 so I thought maybe it might be applicable.

Also I am now going through the book building process on IngramSpark and :wtf: why is the 203mm x 203mm trim size no longer available to be selected? Like it is listed as an available trim size on their site. The only other square format available is 216mm x 216mm and I did not size everything for that.

If I have to bloody redraw all of the illustrations...

:suicide:

EDIT: wow okay the more you know, if you go through IngramSpark's book builder tool, you can only select 8.5" x 8.5" (203mm x 203mm) trim size. And also it only accepts .docx formats. :wtf: avoid the book builder tool.

EDIT EDIT: okay, finally got things to work far out I should create a YouTube tutorial on how to do this for picture books because wow it was confusing. Anyway, 3 hours of wrangling with Scribus and Calibre later, I managed to get my print and epub files ready to go.

Question for the thread: how many of you joined up with https://www.allianceindependentauthors.org/member-benefits/ ? The free set up and revision on IngramSparks looks like it'd be worth alone, assuming I stick to my plan of putting out at least another one of these books in the next year. Is it worth getting one of the higher tier membership levels or is the associate one just fine?

Leng fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Apr 3, 2021

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Camo Guitar posted:

Yeah it used to be the case they wouldn't send author copies to Australia (because their operations here have always been limited - nobody I know actually uses them) but that ended when they opened a distribution centre here in 2018 or 19 or something.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Alright what gives?! I just tried to order an author proof to my Australian address and got the "sorry we can't ship to this address" message. Are you guys ordering actual author copies or the proof?

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Whoops, sorry, my bad - I've only ever ordered author copies, not proofs!

Camo Guitar
Jul 15, 2009
Same, just author copies and then I fix any obviously incorrect things from there.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
:psyduck:

But doesn't that screw around with your launch plans? Do you stealth publish it, order author copies, then immediately take the book down until you get them, fix any issues, then put it back up on your planned release date and then do your promos from there?!

What is also bizarre is that we could get author copies but not proof copies, that makes no sense at all. I'm now considering just doing the paperback through Ingram Spark as well, despite the horrible interface. At least I shouldn't have issues getting proofs from IS.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Ebooks are 99% of my sales so the print side of things isn't something I ever really bother much about. I know that's not helpful to you if you're writing a kid's book, sorry! You'll probably be able to find some better help and advice on Kboards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Plot twist! The first author proof went poof after 24 hours without being able to check it out. I set up a ShopMate account after a few hours poring over the other options and resigned myself to paying more money to get the thing shipped over.

While I'm waiting for the second author proof link to show up, I go over to IngramSpark to uploading new files because their cover file instructions are completely unclear and also because I picked up a mistake I made on the interior file while reviewing it on the KDP online proofer. Lo and behold, the IngramSpark website is messing up big time, in that it refuses to load the revision fee information at all. Like where that information should be is just a giant blank on the website. The source code itself hasn't loaded either. Great. I'm not clicking on that, when I shouldn't be paying anything since I have a valid code that would waive the fee.

Meanwhile, I check my email and click the link to add the new KDP proof to my cart and this time, it gives me the global shipping option at $8 USD. :wtf: well no complaints here, then. I checked that out quick smart before Amazon could change its mind again.

Now I am back to hating IngramSpark's entire user experience. :bang:

I did not expect the actual publication process to be MORE painful than the process of writing and illustrating the book itself. :psyduck: