Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

margin on toys is never, like, terrific but assume that anything Diamond sells that isn't an exclusive is topping out at like a middle thirties percent, and then add freight, and then consider that a comic shop is probably buying like straight up ones of things as special orders so the discount is even lower

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Unless you're ordering enough to get the extra tier discount, things like Marvel Legends generally cost a shop $14 each. This is why shop prices on figures are so high.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

Funko aggressively pursued direct sales to shops to cut Diamond out after the Hastings fiasco a few years ago.
According to Funko most of their sales are direct to the customer.

There's also some statues that have been there for at least since HoXPoX started (that's when I started going every week again instead of getting trades) including a Harley Quinn that's lewd in both appearance and price.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Funko aggressively pursued direct sales to shops to cut Diamond out after the Hastings fiasco a few years ago.
According to Funko most of their sales are direct to the customer.

they still directed total scrubs who wanted to buy like eleven pops across ten SKUs to start an eBay store to Diamond after the Hastings collapse though, they just hung onto the good customers

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhyno posted:

You can literally get anything toy/statue that Diamond carries from BBTS and it's always cheaper. I don't know why anyone buys toys or statues from comic shops anymore.

Did you have a guy who helped run your store into the ground because he would constantly order super expensive statues because they 'looked good on the shelf' and 'would sell during the sales?' We did.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dawgstar posted:

Did you have a guy who helped run your store into the ground because he would constantly order super expensive statues because they 'looked good on the shelf' and 'would sell during the sales?' We did.

I had pretty solid control of ordering for the most part. They carry a fuckton of statues now and the display cases never change when I visit.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I wanted to pre-order a couple of those designer X-Men covers, if they weren't gonna be too expensive, and I checked with my local guy the week of the EW story and they weren't in his ordering system yet, does anyone know if they'd be in there now? I was out of town on Wednesday so I was going to swing around there later today to pick up books.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
The June order form is up on Diamond's website, you can search for "DAUTERMAN CONNECTING VAR" and get the order codes if you want to make sure you get the covers you want. They're not 'incentive' variants where the store has to order X copies of something to get 1 Design Variant, so they should be cover price.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Edge & Christian posted:

The June order form is up on Diamond's website, you can search for "DAUTERMAN CONNECTING VAR" and get the order codes if you want to make sure you get the covers you want. They're not 'incentive' variants where the store has to order X copies of something to get 1 Design Variant, so they should be cover price.

Awesome, thanks, Yeah, he only upcharges on the ones with minimum orders I think. If they're all cover price I'll probably just get them all, except that normal X-factor cover with all the kids dancing is pretty cool too.

Edit, and double checking X-Factor is the Scott Summers cover that's just about the only cover I don't like.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
That reminds me, now that both Marvel and DC are ditching diamond is there another website that lists every release for a week instead of previewsworld

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

https://blog.gocollect.com/category/comiclist/this-week/

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
ty

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Cloks posted:

What are the profit margins like on them for comic shops? I like to buy them there just so my money goes back into a local business.

Our cost on them is like 7 bucks or so. Not great on a 10.99 thing that is unlikely to ever sell after a week or two.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Codependent Poster posted:

I was surprised to find I had a lot of comics that are apparently worth something just from buying comics as normal

Just for giggles I looked up one of the probably higher-priced comics from my collection (Amazing Spider-Man #361). What I learned is that it's either worth $20, or $550 depending on which sucker is bidding.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Having something graded seems to help. I'd really like to sell my new mutants 98 but I don't want to pay $50 to find out how good bad of shape it's in.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Mar 28, 2021

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Apparently some goony nerd is going to be writing an upcoming Moon Knight series.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Open Marriage Night posted:

Apparently some goony nerd is going to be writing an upcoming Moon Knight series.

Congrats to X-O!

:ssh:Oh, I guess maybe it might be Vulpes

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i would extremely be using this as an oppotunity to try and meet oscar isaac

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Just found out about Soleil. I wanna know who at Marvel wanted to publish the sex robot comic and why they agreed to do that and like three other titles to make it look like they weren't just publishing the sex robot comic

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
what

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

in 2008 Marvel published a single issue of a French comic anthology called Soleil, from which the story Sky Doll got a 3 issue limited run.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

do you mean from like ten years ago or did they do it again

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Soleil was a very briefly lived imprint of Marvel comics under which they published English language editions of multiple European comics. They did like three random sci-fi minis and all of Sky Doll, a series about Catholic sex robots

Alaois posted:

in 2008 Marvel published a single issue of a French comic anthology called Soleil, from which the story Sky Doll got a 3 issue limited run.

It was bigger than that.

https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?pl=Marvel/Soleil

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Looks like over two years they published:
Husk #1-3
Kookaburra K #1-3
Samurai Legend #1-4
Scourge of the Gods #1-3
Scourge of the Gods: Fall #1-3
Skydoll #1-3
Skydoll: Doll Factory #1-2
Skydoll: Lacrima Christi #1-2
Skydoll: Space Ship #1-2
Soleil Sampler #1
Spin Angels #1-4
Tales of the Dragon Guard #1-3
Tales of the Dragon Guard: Into the Veil #1-3
Universal War One #1-3
Ythaq: Forsaken World #1-3
Ythaq: No Escape #1-3

Why did they do it? I mean they publish superhero comics and not a single volleyball comic, it's obvious that Marvel is run entirely by stupid perverts. Why ask why?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

If you think European comics are weird, just wait until you check out some manga

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Gaz-L posted:

Congrats to X-O!

:ssh:Oh, I guess maybe it might be Vulpes

I would never let them ruin something I love by letting me write it.

Vulpes if this is true good luck. I have yet to be disappointed by you but now you're playing with one of my favorites so I'll be watching even more closely.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
drat Penguin Random House also publishes Sky Dolls the pervert conspiracy goes further than we thought

Seriously this is a weird loving thing to get hung up on

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

drat Penguin Random House also publishes Sky Dolls the pervert conspiracy goes further than we thought

its guy goodbody

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Blockhouse posted:

I'm not hung up on it, I just thought it was funny.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

X-O posted:

I would never let them ruin something I love by letting me write it.

Vulpes if this is true good luck. I have yet to be disappointed by you but now you're playing with one of my favorites so I'll be watching even more closely.

Seems it was Bleeding Cool saying it, so no official announcement yet.

Between this, Taskmaster, the Marvel Mecha book, and the Magic: The Gathering comic, it seems like he’s the go to guy when they want a comic to coincide with some other form of media (movie/tv show/toy/game).

He’ll always be the Spider Punk guy to me.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Between this, Taskmaster, the Marvel Mecha book, and the Magic: The Gathering comic, it seems like he’s the go to guy when they want a comic to coincide with some other form of media (movie/tv show/toy/game).

He’ll always be the Spider Punk guy to me.
Looking forward to Vulpes' 5-part maxi-series that's a commentary on Miracleman's impact on the comics field and is also about Charleston Chew.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Is that before or after he lands the Combo Man ongoing?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Yeah, could an unfounded rumor or it could just be Vulpes isn't allowed to talk about it yeah.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
When's he going to write about a big hero?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
okay sorry i'm catching up on the last couple issues of taskmaster and lol shots fuckin fired

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Black Cat was v. good. Vulpes did a good job making me care about a character I didn't existed because I certainly didn't read whatever Axis and what Hobgoblin was up to was.

Edit: Also in news:

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1377259387400642565

Welcome back, Junior Junior.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Mar 31, 2021

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Really hope JR, Jr. isn't put on any books I read.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I was talking to he guy who does my tattoos a while ago and he said that even though he loves Jack Kirby, Jack Kirby is the only comic book artist people want to use as a reference for tattoos. He named a few other people he'd really like to do pieces based off of and both Romitas were on the list, which made a lot of sense to me and caused me to look at their art with a new appreciation. I've also been idly rereading Claremont's X-Men and that really shows off JRJR at a really interesting and impressive moment in his trajectory. I don't know-- I think he's really easy for an inker to mangle but I still think he's very impressive and singular.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Every face he draws looks exactly the same, and they all look like someone who got hit in the face with a shovel so now their face is totally flat and smushed out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Dawgstar posted:

Black Cat was v. good. Vulpes did a good job making me care about a character I didn't existed because I certainly didn't read whatever Axis and what Hobgoblin was up to was.

Edit: Also in news:

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1377259387400642565

Welcome back, Junior Junior.

:agreed:

It's always nice to see a talented writer spin straw into gold.