Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Step 1: Place nodes on grid.
Step 2: Connect nodes
Step 3: Place shells inbetween connected nodes.

The most confusing thing about the sphere interface is the difference between the two lines, which is a little strange to get used to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
There is some math as to how it works, and what you could be optimizing for, but it's mostly just a style thing, and more sphere=more power.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
As far as I can tell, there are only two factors that matter outside of aesthetics:

-The size of the sphere affects its overall power output. The smallest possible sphere still makes a shitload of power, so this is barely more than an aesthetic choice, but whatever.
-I think the number of nodes affects the rate at which solar sails can get sucked into the sphere, so there's a tradeoff between spending a lot of resources on carrier rockets and spending a lot of resources on sails.

There's a toggle up in the corner that pauses the game while you're in the sphere designer, makes it a little less irritating to use.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
Yeah, each node has a hard limit on how many sails they can "claim" at a time.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

On the note of the sphere planner, when planning mine out (don't quite have launching silos yet but getting there), anything but the equator returned a "latitude too high" error. I know there's a research to increase that by 15 degrees or something, but does it naturally extend at all once I've actually got sphere parts installed to anchor to? (For now just achieving a ring will be impressive enough.)

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
That research has multiple levels that go until you have no latitude limit.

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos
If you have excess hydrogen or refined oil problems (or any liquid, really), I really like the SmartTank mod. Basically if a storage tank gets an input add is full, it deletes the input. I put a tank on every liquid output and it means I never have to think about product backups

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Holy poo poo, there's a thread for this game. I didn't find one when searching the forums, but I found a hit randomly on Google. Odd.

Anyway, I'm working towards mining a nearby system for the first time, and I've realized that it'd probably be a good thing to have 1 planet in the system be the logistics hub for that system as well as a warehouse for all the minerals mined in that system. Do you guys have any suggested layouts or approaches you can share for filling a planet with storages?

My current design philosophy is, north pole is input, south pole is output. So for this planet, I'd have all the other planets in the system sending ore to a north pole hub of towers, where it'd get sent to a small tower that connects to a huge storage chain, and eventually to another small tower that'll send the ore to the south pole, where it'll get sent to wherever it's needed. My issues are that, since there's still ore on this planet, I can't just wrap storages around the equator, so I'm thinking of going north > south with them, but that's creating alignment issues where grid squash is happening. Also, that I don't think this is likely the best way to do it, but am not sure of other approaches.

I'm open to whatever ideas you guys have.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I don't really understand what the middleman towers are doing in this setup. Are you refining/producing in these exo-systems? I just plonk down interstellar towers near to resources, and ship the ore back home.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I find it easier to manufacture lower level materials on site then ship them home, personally.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Kazzah posted:

I don't really understand what the middleman towers are doing in this setup. Are you refining/producing in these exo-systems? I just plonk down interstellar towers near to resources, and ship the ore back home.

Mostly as a way to more evenly pull from, or distribute to, the ore between the different towers in the hub. That, and the spaghetti of belts would be... unfortunately complicated, I think.

Peachfart posted:

I find it easier to manufacture lower level materials on site then ship them home, personally.

I'll probably do this once I move to more systems. Right now, I'm just supplementing what I'm lacking back home with what's in this system, and I don't want to have to ship a ton of warpers all over the place to do so. It just seems... I dunno, neater and more organized, I guess, to do it this way for now. But once I do have more planetary space, I do intend on having worlds dedicated to making some specific things.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

So I did a mock-up, and have some math to go with it. I was able to put a line of 86 stacks of crates between each polar hub. I could've gotten another stack or two, but I have a line of solar panels running around most of the equator of this planet currently. Each stack had 8 crates in it. I have a mod that gives me MkIII crates that have 120 storage slots in them, and ore stacks to 100 per slot. 86 x 8 x 120 x 100 = 8.256mil ore per line. The question now is, how many lines of crate stacks can I fit in a world?

I suppose in the end, the main reason I'm doing this at this stage is so I can preemptively strip mine a system so I have nice clean worlds to set up shop on when I get back to them later.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Your strategy makes sense given your goal, although I find it pretty needless.

That said, I can't hate what I'm looking at.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

It is a beautiful mohawk, isn't it?

At some point, I'll have enough real estate that I won't have to worry as much about strip mining a whole system and storing it in boxes for later use. Is it needless? Sure, probably. Especially in the long run. For now, I'm still almost entirely in my lovely starting system, and I'm annoyed at having to work around all the ore patches. So I'm working towards having some free space in a system with a class B star that's near to home. At the very least, once I'm done storing everything in those crates, I'll have 2 pristine worlds and a giant gently caress-off huge warehouse world. One can become a proper forge world, and the other can be a new bouncing off point towards the best stars in my cluster.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

neogeo0823 posted:

It is a beautiful mohawk, isn't it?

At some point, I'll have enough real estate that I won't have to worry as much about strip mining a whole system and storing it in boxes for later use. Is it needless? Sure, probably. Especially in the long run. For now, I'm still almost entirely in my lovely starting system, and I'm annoyed at having to work around all the ore patches. So I'm working towards having some free space in a system with a class B star that's near to home. At the very least, once I'm done storing everything in those crates, I'll have 2 pristine worlds and a giant gently caress-off huge warehouse world. One can become a proper forge world, and the other can be a new bouncing off point towards the best stars in my cluster.

You seem to have a plan. Go for it dude.

When I left my starting system initially it was just for mining and I started working on a centralized smelter world on one of the planets in my starting system I had already stripped dry. After I little while I ran into planets with so many minerals that I would set up manufacturing plants on those worlds that basically had everything they needed already, and if they didn't, there was another planet in system that had what was missing. So I started building fully contained factories that built a single end product I needed. When I stopped playing yesterday after finishing my first sphere I think I had a planet each dedicated to 60/s green motors, 60/s titanium alloy, 60/s casimir crystals, 30/s yellow chips, 60/s plastic and then a 15/s blue chip factory that had a self contained yellow chip plant on it. I maintained a small generic smelting planet in my home system to keep some of my original factories running and my research supplied with goods. Each of these factories had all of the facilities required on planet to take raw minerals and make the end product (minus the casimir crystals obviously those are frikken crazy to make at scale, so I shipped those into the blue chip factory). Space wise I never really ran into a problem and I was mining those planets to feed into the factory on the same planet. There was always enough space to plop down a big factory even if none of them were technically world spanning.

For example:

This is my yellow chip factory. I'm mining everything on the planet and there's still plenty of space for more factories. I'm shipping in copper from another planet in system. Now that said, I probably wouldn't increase the size of this factory any more because I think it's already basically eating the silicon I'm mining at near 100% the rate I'm mining it. But thanks to the blueprints mod I'd just go to a similar system with silicon and copper and plop down another yellow chip factory there, rather than ship in raw silicon or copper from out of system.

If I had really wanted a pristine world I just would have picked one of the less desirable ones and turned it into a parking lot, not really caring about the veins.

But you have a plan. It's pretty wild so just go for it. This was just my strategy as the game wore on.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
holy poo poo there's an update that makes space navigation suddenly EASY

Go into the map, zoom out until you're looking at the cluster, click on the star you wanna look at

It pops up the resources and you can select an indicator that will now just point you DIRECTLY towards the place you want to go

Super simple, amazing quality of life improvement

This was ... like almost two weeks ago? Did we completely miss it?

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

My GPU is finally starting to weep. But I'm also finally getting my poo poo together.

Temporary iron and titanium shortages to be resolved next time.

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos

neogeo0823 posted:

So I did a mock-up, and have some math to go with it. I was able to put a line of 86 stacks of crates between each polar hub. I could've gotten another stack or two, but I have a line of solar panels running around most of the equator of this planet currently. Each stack had 8 crates in it. I have a mod that gives me MkIII crates that have 120 storage slots in them, and ore stacks to 100 per slot. 86 x 8 x 120 x 100 = 8.256mil ore per line. The question now is, how many lines of crate stacks can I fit in a world?

I suppose in the end, the main reason I'm doing this at this stage is so I can preemptively strip mine a system so I have nice clean worlds to set up shop on when I get back to them later.

Just a heads up, you might start running into some weirdness if you keep building that out. The game can only handle so much on a single planet. I have a planet that's like 80% covered in solar panels that causes major weirdness when I build/change stuff on it. Not sure if it's the number of entities or the number of power connections, but power poles forget what they're connected to and if I keep playing enough after getting an error, the ui starts to glitch. I think some variable is overrunning it's assigned space and interfering with other things

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Ok, I'm still getting the hang of the game in general as a neophyte, but at least some of my skills translate from Factorio. This is one of the most visually captivating games I've played. I was stunned when I set up a rail gun for the first time and started firing solar sails, and I could see each in orbit. The game also enables my love of exploration, and I loved flying to another planet for the first time, a lava planet covered in rocks. Awesome.

So I'm in the early/mid game(?) and I've just set up a trickle of purple science (while also trickling in yellow still). I'm trying to figure out ways to stabilize my production so I can finally get high tier things like warpers automated (so I can explore other systems). My home planet is a mess but it's the only planet in my home system with any oil so I just have to deal. In what direction should I do this? Set up a ton of planetary towers? Skip them and just focus on interstellar towers since they also function as better versions of the former? And should I just throw them everywhere?

I use the lava planet as an industrial center for low tier goods. There is a third desert planet I think I can use and ferry things there to make more complex things as well. Also I have way too much hydrogen but I bet I'll reverse that trend as I collide it into deuterium and make casimir crystals.

Also, does it make sense to automate things like buildings and logistics vessels? I feel like I need lots more towers and bots.

My head is swimming with thoughts.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

SettingSun posted:

Also, does it make sense to automate things like buildings and logistics vessels? I feel like I need lots more towers and bots.

Automate all your buildings, that way if you ever run out you can just slap down a tower and remote demand more instead of scrounging together the mats to hand craft them.

Just make sure you set the supply cap to 100-300, depending on how well each building stacks so you don't end up with 1000 interplanetary towers getting sent to you.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

SettingSun posted:

Ok, I'm still getting the hang of the game in general as a neophyte, but at least some of my skills translate from Factorio. This is one of the most visually captivating games I've played. I was stunned when I set up a rail gun for the first time and started firing solar sails, and I could see each in orbit. The game also enables my love of exploration, and I loved flying to another planet for the first time, a lava planet covered in rocks. Awesome.

So I'm in the early/mid game(?) and I've just set up a trickle of purple science (while also trickling in yellow still). I'm trying to figure out ways to stabilize my production so I can finally get high tier things like warpers automated (so I can explore other systems). My home planet is a mess but it's the only planet in my home system with any oil so I just have to deal. In what direction should I do this? Set up a ton of planetary towers? Skip them and just focus on interstellar towers since they also function as better versions of the former? And should I just throw them everywhere?

I use the lava planet as an industrial center for low tier goods. There is a third desert planet I think I can use and ferry things there to make more complex things as well. Also I have way too much hydrogen but I bet I'll reverse that trend as I collide it into deuterium and make casimir crystals.

My head is swimming with thoughts.

Some thoughts from someone in an equally tenuous position:

So far I've been mostly connecting oil to my main production with belts. I did just install a logistics station so I can import more, but I certainly wouldn't build a logistics station that doesn't feed from multiple sources. May be worth combining ores and oil for that sort of thing, though, to cover one location more densely.
Interstellar towers are nice and nearly a direct upgrade, but that "nearly" has a big caveat that the minimum distance between them is much larger. I've been able to use standard towers close enough I could do back to back double-rows of assemblers with central belts without dead space. (I actually did exactly this for my research labs, though they're slightly larger than assemblers.)
I would consider automating stock for 100-200 reinforced thrusters since they're used in gas giant collectors, and I just set up a production plant to automate stocking 100 standard logi vessels so I can support new logi stations. Got some that are vessel limited already. Much less for interstellar logi vessels but I only have my four starting system planets in use currently.
Buildings though, yes, I think so. My next project besides improving production to keep up with recent expansion is installing a proper mall to make belts, sorters, (a single stack of) splitters, smelters, assemblers, and one or two of the more advanced buildings. I spend enough time inventory crafting them if I happen to run out that it's worth it in my book.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
I designed a megaconstruct art installation with ten rings going around a star at various distances and orientations so make a kind of clockwork cage for it to be all pretty, and now it takes forever to autosave.

LOL

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
At least the save won't be a gigabyte now. Well, maybe if it's extreme.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

SettingSun posted:

Yes. 100% yes. Automate everything all the time. You're going to need thousands upon thousands of conveyor belts units and sorters.

BisbyWorl posted:

Automate all your buildings, that way if you ever run out you can just slap down a tower and remote demand more instead of scrounging together the mats to hand craft them.

Just make sure you set the supply cap to 100-300, depending on how well each building stacks so you don't end up with 1000 interplanetary towers getting sent to you.

Setting up a mall so that buildings can be shipped to me was one of the coolest things I did. It's like you're online ordering 5000 conveyor belts from amazon. It's such a time saver not having to constantly warp back to pick up more buildings.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

SettingSun posted:

In my second game I started out by using my towers pretty liberally, basically a single tower for a single product (like gears) and scale as necessary, and while it works okay, as the size of the factory grew, it became increasingly harder to keep track of the various bottlenecks that are holding you down (and more points of failure if for example the lack of gears drives the lack of red motors, which slows down green motors which kills your deuterium fuel and power production). Instead I moved to setups described here. Not only are they pretty compact and scalable, but you can skip keeping attention to production levels of quite as many items. Other than that, yeah, each product is handled by a planetary/interplanetary tower as needed.

quote:

Also I have way too much hydrogen but I bet I'll reverse that trend as I collide it into deuterium and make casimir crystals.
Yeah, once you get to casimir crystals you probably want to just attach a giant tap into the gas giant. You can use fractionators instead of colliders for deuterium though.(less hydrogen and power usage at the cost of space). Refined oil gets much easier to manage once you can warp to a place with organic crystals and sulfuric acid oceans.

mmkay fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Mar 31, 2021

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Trying not to use "cheat" mods (I do use the free foundation one though >_>) but this max speed drone one is too good to pass up, especially when you get to the point where you're dropping massive blocks of machinery. Even at full speed it still takes some time. It'll also take a lot of the pain out of early game.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

The only cheat mod I use is free foundations, because I hate terraforming in this game where you not only have to build the floors but you need enough dirt to raise them up.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Cobbsprite posted:

I designed a megaconstruct art installation with ten rings going around a star at various distances and orientations so make a kind of clockwork cage for it to be all pretty, and now it takes forever to autosave.

LOL

Please post pretty pictures.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
Yeah I really don't understand the point of soil. You already have a material cost in that the foundation must be built, what purpose is soil serving? It creates perverse gameplay scenarios, like running around plopping down and picking up 20 thermal reactors on an open field to suck up some soil, because I need to put foundation on 10 water tiles but I ran out of soil.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

It’s also funny how you can transport unlimited amounts of ~soil pile~ between solar systems in your robot’s rear end

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

When you use the free foundation you still collect SOIL PILE but you don't use it. My starter world is concrete pole to pole and I have like 10m soil.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

In theory, how bad is intersystem travel without warpers? Pondering my options.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Very very bad. The green science -> warper advanced recipe yields 10 for every cube, so I'd make that a goal, even if your chip/lens production isn't that robust

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Noted. I kinda figured it would be bad, but DSP compresses distances and the game's understanding of units of distance is... shaky as a result, wasn't sure how it would pan out.
Plenty to do in the home system still, for now.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Scoss posted:

Yeah I really don't understand the point of soil. You already have a material cost in that the foundation must be built, what purpose is soil serving? It creates perverse gameplay scenarios, like running around plopping down and picking up 20 thermal reactors on an open field to suck up some soil, because I need to put foundation on 10 water tiles but I ran out of soil.

i thought i was in the gardening thread and was very confused

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Clark Nova posted:

It’s also funny how you can transport unlimited amounts of ~soil pile~ between solar systems in your robot’s rear end

Where else would you expect a robot to have piles?

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Scoss posted:

It does make collecting spinaform crystal interesting, my first trip to an ocean world for the stuff required finding the shallowest possible deposit so I could get set up.

That said, I'm using the bottomless tanks mod so I don't have to constantly burn off hydrogen, so if something bothers you just mod it out.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I liked the game up through getting the logi stations and the end of yellow science

It didnt really grab me after that and I wasn't feeling the desire to create another factory after another to tech up. Good game though I played forever just getting to that point.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

I had a problem with not having enough soil early on I guess. At some point though as I was dropping factories on other planets I accumulated enough that I never worried about it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
If you want to move a resource further than 180 degrees around the planet through logistics, is there a better solution than two towers next to each other, one demanding and belt feeding into the next one set to supply? Seems like a really clunky way to build a relay station but It's all I can come up with.