Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

BobHoward posted:

On reference designs: as an engineer, if I have to put together a PC from enthusiast parts, I try to stick to obviously copypasted reference designs.

Oh god, I thought that was just me.

The nvidia reference design probably has RGB leds so that the OEMs don't gently caress up the board trying to add RGB leds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

ryanrs posted:

The nvidia reference design probably has RGB leds so that the OEMs don't gently caress up the board trying to add RGB leds.

The 3000-series FE lights are actually super subtle compared to the usual RGB panache from EVGA and the like. Just a trio of understated accent LEDs on one small part of the trim and that's it.

And of course none of the AIBs can copy that design this time around, so they're goin' pretty hog wild in some cases.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
It's also hard to tell before you actually buy it whether a product's LEDs default to on (OK you can probably guess they do), what the brightness is, if they colour cycle, does the hardware "remember" if you set the colour, brightness, or turn it off entirely? Some reviews may go into enough detail but I would say that most don't/

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care

DrDork posted:

The 3000-series FE lights are actually super subtle compared to the usual RGB panache from EVGA and the like. Just a trio of understated accent LEDs on one small part of the trim and that's it.
FEs are not available in all regions.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.anandtech.com/show/16564/intels-new-adaptive-boost-technology-floating-turbo-comes-to-rocket-lake

Anandtech has published an article on a new feature that Intel is rolling out called Adaptive Boost Technology. I'm not going to resummarize it here, so read the linked article if you want to know, but the short of it is that this is a boost algorithm that will opportunistically give users a much larger boost to CPU clocks, across all cores, as long as there's power delivery and thermal headroom to spare. This is very similar to AMD's Precision Boost 2.

The thing is:

* it apparently is only available to the i9-11900K and KF
* not even the i9-11900 [non-K] has it
* because of this, the pre-release reviews for the i7-11700K should be unaffected by this news
* it has to be specifically enabled via the BIOS (granted, any enthusiast buying an i9-11900K will probably be aware of this?)
* it's such a new and late-marketed feature that motherboard BIOSes don't support it yet and updates for it are only just rolling out now

On the one hand, it's nice that Intel has finally caught up to AMD in terms of rolling out boost algorithms that will take a lot of the manual work and guesswork out of maximizing CPU performance

On the other hand, they're segmenting the feature to the very tippy-top of the product stack, which means it's going to be rather limited utility

EDIT:

___

The review embargo has lifted, and your favorite youtuber/review site should have something up by now.

I've only watched Gamers Nexus coverage of the six-core i5-11600K, and the verdict is that this is something that comes really dang close to a 5600X, for significantly less. Prices not obeying MSRP and motherboard prices may change the calculus, but otherwise Intel has positioned itself as a "value buy" in this round.

It's actually the i7-11700K that looks bad in this equation because there's very little value to stepping up to it in gaming workloads, and for productivity you'll still want AMD with more cores anyway.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Mar 30, 2021

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

unfortunately, whatever gains the 11th gen desktop chips have in perf/$ or perf/thread are basically washed out by the power draw. so disappointing. intel is gonna get killed in datacenters or for some enthusiast builds due to that.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

So not much point in stepping up from my 8700K then, unless I want to spend $wtf on an 11900KF. Kinda disappointing.

This CPU is the Lake era equivalent of the 2600K, isn’t it?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Kazinsal posted:

So not much point in stepping up from my 8700K then, unless I want to spend $wtf on an 11900KF. Kinda disappointing.

Yah it’s pretty good, what I got too. No rush to upgrade! It might go through 3 gpu generations in my system by the time I replace it!

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Same, I'll probably end up hanging on to this 8700K until DDR5 matures

Maybe I should man up and de-lid it some day

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

pmchem posted:

unfortunately, whatever gains the 11th gen desktop chips have in perf/$ or perf/thread are basically washed out by the power draw. so disappointing. intel is gonna get killed in datacenters or for some enthusiast builds due to that.

lol no kidding

the 11900k apparently peaks at ~270 watt normally, and 310 when using ABT

as an 8 core chip (meaning that despite higher clocks the multi-threaded performance appears to match the 10850k)

not, uh, looking like an amazing product

https://twitter.com/TechTeamGB/status/1376881976565772290?s=20

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Why does every picture of Pat taken in the last 20 years look like hide the pain harold?

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Steve isn't pulling any punches:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxiuvQPL_qs

e: lmao it's well deserved, it's worse than the 10900k in almost every benchmark and even when it ends up on top it's more expensive than the 5900x which just spanks it six ways from sunday

e2: "reminds us of the phenom -> bulldozer era" oof

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Mar 30, 2021

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

LGD posted:

lol no kidding

the 11900k apparently peaks at ~270 watt normally, and 310 when using ABT

as an 8 core chip (meaning that despite higher clocks the multi-threaded performance appears to match the 10850k)

not, uh, looking like an amazing product

https://twitter.com/TechTeamGB/status/1376881976565772290?s=20

310W is higher than making fun of netburst joke numbers :wtc:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

TheFluff posted:

e: lmao it's well deserved, it's worse than the 10900k in almost every benchmark and even when it ends up on top it's more expensive than the 5900x which just spanks it six ways from sunday

:lmao: At least now I won’t be tempted to upgrade for no reason.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

11900k+11700k are firmly in the "who gives a poo poo with this pricing" territory. If it slid in exactly at the 10700k price, it would be fine honestly. But it doesn't.

If you want intel, buy the actually well priced 10th gen stuff. 10900KF is $330 at microcenter, 10850K is $320, 10400F is $130.

Cygni fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Mar 30, 2021

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe don't buy Intel.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Fame Douglas posted:

Maybe don't buy Intel.

AMD's pricing isn't great right now. There are lots of good values on the Intel side, just not the 11th gen stuff.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The i5s in the $150-200 range aren't bad options if that's your budget, cheaper and usually faster (but use more power) than the basic R5 3600. You won't have to worry about being unable to find one in a store. That's it, that's all I've got

Fame Douglas posted:

Maybe don't buy Intel.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Cygni posted:

11900k+11700k are firmly in the "who gives a poo poo with this pricing" territory. If it slid in exactly at the 10700k price, it would be fine honestly. But it doesn't.

If you want intel, buy the actually well priced 10th gen stuff. 10900KF is $330 at microcenter, 10850K is $320, 10400F is $130.

5800X has been out half a year, yet 11700K on launch day is cheaper in germany, since the stores respond to limited supply by raising the prices as far as they can. 10700K is 25% less though.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

TheFluff posted:

e2: "reminds us of the phenom -> bulldozer era" oof

This is a murder. I'm watching a murder on YouTube.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Nam Taf posted:

This is a murder. I'm watching a murder on YouTube.

Gamers Nexus Steve gets really energetic and animated when he's about to rip into something. It's very fun to watch.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Mar 31, 2021

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Gamers Nexus Steve gets really energetic and animated when he's about to rip into something. It's very fun to watch.

Watching Tech Jesus flip over vendor's tables in the hardware review temple is always great.

Intel CPU and Platform Chat: Sorry our performance is in another process node

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe

Kazinsal posted:

I'm one behind with the 7700K, but even then, I haven't found a game that made me feel like I needed to upgrade. Worst case is that it dies from running at 5GHz for years.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
What I'd like to see from Intel would be for that Adaptive Boost Technology to at least be given out to all the K models, if not the whole stack

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Ugly In The Morning posted:

:lmao: At least now I won’t be tempted to upgrade for no reason.

Flight Sim's CPU bound-ness was tempting me with an upgrade from my 9700k but this showing is miserable (and the 5900x so hard to find) I'll probably just wait for the first DDR5 parts

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
https://youtu.be/2f6J76fTQ98?t=38

And I think it's gonna be a long long time
Before an advance process Intel will find
It's not the 10 cores, it's the 8 that's all
Oh no no no
It's Rocket Lake
Rocket Laaaaaaaaaaaaake
Burnin' all the VRM's with adaptive boost

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Even his conclusion of the 11600k largely talks about how the 5600x is the better chip. And this is the Intel chip he likes the most. He's really enjoying this.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Can't wait to see Francois tweet through this one. He already used the "disrespecting the hard work of intel engineers" so I am curious where he goes this time.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
At least the 11600K isn't bad at its price, though Hardware Unboxed is still recommending the 10600K for gaming because of its lower price.
Since there isn't anything new below the 5600X on AMD's side, Intel might still be able to provide good value in the budget segment.

The 11900K is just sad, especially if the instability issues that Anand reported keep plaguing it.

Fabulousity posted:

Intel CPU and Platform Chat: Sorry our performance is in another process node
:golfclap:
New thread title?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
King title/thumbnail, here

https://youtu.be/_jVAfk4AG3A

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Can't wait to see Francois tweet through this one. He already used the "disrespecting the hard work of intel engineers" so I am curious where he goes this time.

He has changed his tune a bit lately from ardently defending everything Intel does to saying they're failing because they haven't put him in charge.

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!
Do all elevenses support AVX512 or is it gated for maximum idiocy?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

karoshi posted:

Do all elevenses support AVX512 or is it gated for maximum idiocy?

all the Rocket Lakes support AVX-512

just remember that the i3 line is a Comet Lake refresh

Epiphyte
Apr 7, 2006

What actually uses AVX-512 in home use?

Does it have any impact on productivity software at all? I presume games is a "maybe in 5 years" kind of thing

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Epiphyte posted:

Does it have any impact on productivity software at all? I presume games is a "maybe in 5 years" kind of thing
It's somewhat complicated. Especially because most AVX-512 workloads can also be ran on GPU which outperforms AVX-512. And compilers/developers sort of struggle with general purpose AVX-512 builds because "AVX-512" has a ton of different subsets of commands that are or aren't supported by various CPUs that have "AVX-512". In HPC we did specific builds for specific hardware quite frequently, or did a few years ago, partially due to this mess.

There will likely be some productivity software that supports it. An nbody particle sim is a trivially parallel task that will show avx512 in the most positive light possible. In a real, mixed workload where GPU is inappropriate but AVX512 can offer speedups you will likely be bottlenecked in other parts of the process and see far more modest performance gains (think 5%-20% rather than the 3x in that benchmark depending on what's bottlenecking computation).

It's good that Intel is providing AVX-512 with a consistent instruction set throughout the whole stack. That may finally lead to a bit more widespread adoption.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Mar 31, 2021

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

Epiphyte posted:

Games won't support a feature for 0.001% of the market. In the productivity space support might trickle down from the Xeon line, like maybe AI apps that already support AVX512 on the ~cloud~. Or video encoding libraries used by the content providers.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
From and older cpu review:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15039/the-intel-core-i9-10980xe-review/5 posted:

3D Particle Movement v2.1: Brownian Motion
Our 3DPM test is a custom built benchmark designed to simulate six different particle movement algorithms of points in a 3D space. The algorithms were developed as part of my PhD., and while ultimately perform best on a GPU, provide a good idea on how instruction streams are interpreted by different microarchitectures.

A key part of the algorithms is the random number generation – we use relatively fast generation which ends up implementing dependency chains in the code. The upgrade over the naïve first version of this code solved for false sharing in the caches, a major bottleneck. We are also looking at AVX2 and AVX512 versions of this benchmark for future reviews.

For this test, we run a stock particle set over the six algorithms for 20 seconds apiece, with 10 second pauses, and report the total rate of particle movement, in millions of operations (movements) per second. We have a non-AVX version and an AVX version, with the latter implementing AVX512 and AVX2 where possible.

Intel makes the best processor for running custom 3d simulation code that you should have run on gpu to begin with, but didn't because you wanted to make the most edge case cpu synthetic benchmark possible.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Epiphyte posted:

Don't virtual backgrounds have an AVX requirement?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

WhyteRyce posted:

Don't virtual backgrounds have an AVX requirement?

AVX2 afaik

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epiphyte
Apr 7, 2006

Oh, that's why zoom won't do virtual backgrounds on my 3570K

I thought it was something up with the GPU