Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
https://twitter.com/vogon/status/1377014387051876353?s=21

I’m still lolling at all the spacex apologia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
maybe it's spaceworthy, it's landing again they seem to be having difficulty with

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
ask jpl how they managed to do a powered landing first try on another planet

but no tho, blowing up prototypes is necessary in order how to learn things you see

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

this does remind me i need to order some new model rockets

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

TheFluff posted:

but no tho, blowing up prototypes is necessary in order how to learn things you see

tbf be sure to ask them to convert imperial to metric at the same time

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

refleks posted:

i might be dumb eurotrash but i actually like the name Voltswagen.

if they just decided from the start to brand all their electrics with that, split it from the ICE cars and maybe spicy up the VW with a lightning bolt or some poo poo...

Um, the car maker that was literally founded by Nazis (and has effectively distanced itself from that) probably doesn't need lightning bolts in its logos.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

he's just rediscovering all the rocketry lessons from the 1950s like how Tesla is gradually rediscovering all the mass production lessons from the 1920s.

We call it innovation

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Sagebrush posted:

he's just rediscovering all the rocketry lessons from the 1950s like how Tesla is gradually rediscovering all the mass production lessons from the 1920s.

We call it innovation

next they’ll be pioneering six ligma manufacturing

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

PCjr sidecar posted:

tbf be sure to ask them to convert imperial to metric at the same time

Don't know what kind of sick burn you think you're making, but it was lockheed martin that read the specs wrong, and supplied thrust in imperial units.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Um, the car maker that was literally founded by Nazis (and has effectively distanced itself from that) probably doesn't need lightning bolts in its logos.

own your heritage and all that

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Xakura posted:

Don't know what kind of sick burn you think you're making, but it was lockheed martin that read the specs wrong, and supplied thrust in imperial units.

lockmart hosed it up and nasa didn't check their work. they share the blame, though at the time nasa rather unfairly took the whole rap for the failure. some of the nasa mission staff noticed that there was a problem but were ignored because they didn't use the right form to complain.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

TheFluff posted:

i wonder how many times they're planning on flying a prototype all the way to the moon to blow it up to learn how to do the other end of the trip

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

These are both great:

https://twitter.com/kylegahnick/status/1376554060900302863?s=20

https://twitter.com/eatabanana/status/1376039239037620225?s=20

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
normal and good to immediately book your first repair appointment upon taking delivery of a brand new car

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

normal and good to immediately book your first repair appointment upon taking delivery of a brand new car

i mean I had to do this for my Subaru... for one issue I would’ve never seen

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

hobbesmaster posted:

i mean I had to do this for my Subaru... for one issue I would’ve never seen

Tesla would never do a recall

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

six ligma manufacturing

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Iron Crowned posted:

Tesla would never do a recall

except the one they were forced to do because the ecu eventually gets to a point where it cannot be written to and the entire car bricks.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i mean i assume these are the same people who take delivery of their new android phone and immediately jailbreak and wipe it to install Bugless_Beast_putinEdition

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Sagebrush posted:

i mean i assume these are the same people who take delivery of their new android phone and immediately jailbreak and wipe it to install Bugless_Beast_putinEdition

My initial Pixel 3a had to be returned immediately because the screen decided to act like I was pressing poo poo perpetually, making it unusable, but it only took like two days to get a fully functional replacement.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Xakura posted:

its more about the sick burn they didn’t make

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Mr. Nice! posted:

except the one they were forced to do because the ecu eventually gets to a point where it cannot be written to and the entire car bricks.

lol and wasn't their "fix" just to throw more storage at it instead of actually fixing their stupid software writing verbose debug logs to a lovely emmc 24/7

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

PCjr sidecar posted:

lol

Trashman
Sep 11, 2000

You trash eating stink bag!
Fun Shoe
lmao

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Iron Crowned posted:

My initial Pixel 3a had to be returned immediately because the screen decided to act like I was pressing poo poo perpetually, making it unusable, but it only took like two days to get a fully functional replacement.

And that was an unusual issue on your Pixel, where the Tesla eMMC fail literally affects every single car with the first or second gen center screens unless you have rooted it and disabled all the logging services.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

refleks posted:

i might be dumb eurotrash but i actually like the name Voltswagen.

if they just decided from the start to brand all their electrics with that, split it from the ICE cars and maybe spicy up the VW with a lightning bolt or some poo poo...

Das Akku

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

PCjr sidecar posted:

:pusheen:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

The Bemidji Pioneer posted:

Mississippi River adventure: Couple build raft for a journey
Written By: Pioneer staff reports
May. 23, 2009

"It's lovely to live on a raft," said Huckleberry Finn in Mark Twain's classic novel of a trip down the Mississippi River.

Veruschka and Zelda Xox (pronounced "Zocks") will learn the truth of that expression this summer when they launch their 12-foot-by-20-foot houseboat-raft in Minneapolis for a run to New Orleans.

Zelda, 21, a former student at McGill University in Montreal, Quebec, and Veruschka, 23, a former student of the Montreal Center for Alexander Technique, have set up their boatyard in the driveway of Al and Cate Belleveau's home north of Bemidji.

Veruschka and Zelda are friends of Caleb Belleveau, a student at Concordia University-Montreal. When Veruschka talked with Caleb about his desire to build a boat for a Mississippi River cruise, Caleb mentioned that his folks live near the headwaters of the Mississippi. Al Belleveau was open to the idea of guests and boatbuilding, so the couple arrived and began construction about one month ago.

Zelda said they arrived in the middle of the night and were amazed the next morning to see the Belleveaus' property full of sculptures, some by Al and Caleb and some resting from their stint in the Bemidji Sculpture Walk.

"What did they expect Caleb's place to look like?" Al said.

"I didn't know what to expect, but I'm really impressed," Veruschka said. "His dad is so prolific and very open to have us here."

Zelda said she has wanted to live on the water ever since she was 3 or 4.

"My grandfather instilled in me I've got to live on a houseboat," she said.

Neither Veruschka nor Zelda could think of who first proposed building the boat and making the trip.

"It was a mutual product of both of us wanting to live on a boat," Veruschka said. "I don't feel like either of us proposed it."

Zelda said the Velvet Glove name for the raft came from one of her favorite books by Daniel Clowes.

They have decorated the sides of the raft with surreal paintings of imaginary animals.

"We wanted to be a little scary so people wouldn't bother us," Zelda said.

However, Veruschka said, from his research, people along the river are fairly benign and accepting of travelers.

He said he also has corresponded with various people who have made similar journeys to find out how long to expect their trip to take. He said there really is no answer to that as the rafters will determine their own pace - whether to motor straight through, stop for sightseeing or take off weekends to avoid heavy recreational traffic.

"They said, 'It's your trip,'" he said.

When completed, the Velvet Glove will be furnished with living quarters, camp stove and a steering mechanism attached by cables to an outboard motor and a trolling motor for added push. The couple also plan to take along a few chickens and ducks as egg suppliers.

They won't launch from the headwaters or Lake Bemidji because of several dams between here and the first locks. The raft is too big to portage. So, they are looking to rent or borrow a pontoon trailer to truck the Velvet Glove to Minneapolis. Anyone interested in the project or who would like to loan a trailer should call the Belleveaus at LOL-LMAO

Minneapolis Star-Tribune posted:

This boat don't float
Dreaming of a Huck Finn-style adventure on the Mississippi, a young couple are instead afoul of the law.
By LORA PABST
June 26, 2009

Claire Boucher and William Gratz had their sights set on the southern reaches of the Mississippi River when they packed their chickens, a sewing machine and 20 pounds of potatoes into a houseboat they crafted from scratch.

Calling themselves Veruschka and Zelda Xox, river names worthy of the grand adventure they envisioned, the young couple pushed off from the riverbank in north Minneapolis the first week of June.

But their journey ended only a few miles downstream after engine trouble and a three-week tangle with the cops. The Minneapolis park police trailed them from river bank to river bank, as Boucher and Gratz tried to get their boat in working order, often tying up to trees and hopping ashore to gather supplies from Craigslist and hardware stores.

Now their vessel, the "Velvet Glove Cast in Iron," is marooned in the Minneapolis impound lot. The chickens were seized by animal control, and Boucher, 21, and Gratz, 23, have abandoned their hope of reliving the enduring tradition of river lore.

"Even though it's sad this happened, it's still an adventure," Boucher said.

The trouble began, as it often does, with a sudden twist of fate and an encounter with the law.

Boucher, who's from Vancouver, B.C., and Gratz, from Tennessee, met at school in Montreal. The idea for the river journey was hatched last fall. After months of Internet research, they made the 25-hour trip to Bemidji, Minn., where a friend allowed them to build the boat on his property. For more than a month, they toiled over the engineering of the 20-foot boat to make sure it floated. They installed accordion folding doors, glass windows, pink shutters and painted murals in black, white and red paint of fantastical creatures on the sides. Strangers gave them bikes, a mattress and the sewing machine (powered by on-board batteries). They got a copy of Mark Twain's "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn," which neither of them had read.

"I always wanted to live on a boat," Boucher said. "We both wanted to go south and live on it when we got to New Orleans."

They hauled it to north Minneapolis and shoved off from land the first week of June. Moments later, their engine began to sputter and gurgle. They made it to the other side of the river and tied the boat to a tree, determined to repair the motor and be on their way again in a few days.

They were awakened one morning by Minneapolis park police officer Rob Mooney tapping the side of their boat with a stick. Mooney gave them until the next Tuesday to gather life jackets, paddles and other supplies, despite a Minneapolis park ordinance forbidding boats from tying up to any tree, shrub or post in a park without a permit. The officer said the couple never told him about their engine trouble.

"I love the idea of the Tom Sawyer adventure," Mooney said. "The problem is it's not 1883. You can't do that anymore. You have to follow the rules."

When Mooney returned a week later and saw Boucher and Gratz's chickens grazing and signs of camping, they were given citations for camping and alcohol consumption in the park and told to move along.

"We were just trying to get our act together so we could get out of the Twin Cities," Gratz said. "We didn't want to float down the river out of control."

The next leg of their journey was much more precarious. After entering the channel without a working motor, they began to drift toward rocks jutting out of the water. Surrounded by caution signs, they frantically pushed away from the danger using sticks. They reached an island north of the Lowry Bridge.

The island seemed to be a haven for canoes and other boats, they said, so they set up camp and made plans to resume their search for a working motor over the next week. Swimming was the only way to reach the river bank, so several times a day they would jump in the water and bring back tools wrapped in plastic bags.

Fate of the journey uncertain

The tranquility of the island didn't last long. This time, the Hennepin County Sheriff Office's water patrol showed up and told all of the boaters to leave by that evening in advance of the Lowry Bridge demolition on Sunday. Another boat towed the Velvet Glove Cast in Iron to Boom Island, where the final showdown would take place.

Mooney said when he spotted the houseboat there, he'd had enough.

"I personally allowed them for a couple weeks to try to solve the problem on their own," he said. "It was clear that they couldn't get it done."

The city loaded the houseboat onto a flatbed trailer and took it away.

On Thursday, Boucher and Gratz took a city bus to the impound lot to retrieve whatever they could carry from the boat. They searched for a jar of wild rice so they could make dinner for the strangers who are letting the couple stay with them for a few nights.

The couple say they can't afford to fix the minor damage from the towing or have the boat hauled back to the river. They're planning to continue their trip south by bus. The chickens can't be reclaimed without a Minneapolis address and permit, so they will be sent to a chicken farm. Its fate uncertain, the Velvet Glove Cast in Iron rests next to burned-up and smashed car carcasses.

Boucher and Gratz still have a few people rooting for them.

"I would love for them to go," Mooney said. "I hope they do it."

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
The Alexander Technique is an effective way of dissolving habits of thought and movement that interfere with our ability to function with poise and flexibility.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

i did some pretty stupid poo poo in my younger days but i never had the resources to pull off anything that dumb

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

PCjr sidecar posted:

heyooo

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

"I would love for them to go," Mooney said. "I hope they do it."

same. same.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Zelda Xox

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Mr. Nice! posted:

it was the memory for big iPad in the center that got all hosed up. funnily enough the only reason that that Tesla was forced to do a recall was their obsession with integrating all their driver controls as windows and widgets in the OS running on that touchscreen so when the touchscreen computer failed it took a bunch of critical functions with it like wiper speed, defroster control, and the backup camera.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
it's like the beginning of every Bar Rescue episode: "I liked hanging out in bars, so I decided to open one despite having never worked in one. how hard could it be?"

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

O shiiit. I remember reading about this. I did not remember it was Grimes. Holy gently caress lol.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

that boat was tiny, how were they supposed to keep chickens on the drat thing?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Eeyo posted:

that boat was tiny, how were they supposed to keep chickens on the drat thing?

if you go factory farm style, you need what .5 cubic feet per chicken?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
the pictures of the stupid boat are 100% :discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i mean being an embarassing teen is fine. we all were that.

tho i think most people dont stay in that mind into their 40s.