Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Aaaand now I'm installing FSO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Zereth posted:

Is there a way to tell my HQ to buy things at above market price to get research done faster?

EDIT: also if I want to dedicate a trader to farming terran faction rep, where would I find a list of the terran wares?

Just set it to distribute wares in a terran sector. Should increase rep. For the research, if you have a trader set to trade for building mats, they should bring you goods for research.

Something's gone wrong in my game just as I'm about to stepup production into higher tier products. I can't find silicon anywhere. All my stations have no silicon and there doesn't seem to be any stations selling silicon based wares. Anyone have a location with high silicon deposits I can try to mine? I even have probes in grand exchange showing large silicon concentrations, but my stations is always empty.

Or better yet is there a web based tool to upload your world state to check sector resource data?

ughhhh fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Mar 31, 2021

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I guess there was just supply problems with the last one becuase my little courier is heading out to buy poo poo for the next research project fine! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Also I don't have access to dock at Terran The Faction stations yet so the trader's it's in Pioneer space, which is three sectors and has a jump gate border with the Antigones who do Argon stuff.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Your HQ defaults to buying things at maximum price for research. If the ware is so critically undersupplied that it is still not enough then that's like a major economic hole in the area and you might have to look further afield and/or look at supplying the factories/building your own.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

ughhhh posted:

Something's gone wrong in my game just as I'm about to stepup production into higher tier products. I can't find silicon anywhere. All my stations have no silicon and there doesn't seem to be any stations selling silicon based wares. Anyone have a location with high silicon deposits I can try to mine? I even have probes in grand exchange showing large silicon concentrations, but my stations is always empty.
Are you running your own silicon miners? If you are and you have them assigned to mine for your stations but they're not doing it, try unassigning your miners from their respective stations , choose the Repeat Action default behavior, right click on your silicon rich asteroid belt and tell your miner to mine silicon there, then right click on your silicon processing station and tell it to transfer there. Your miner should just then just repeat those commands until you tell them otherwise.

[edit] Also make sure you aren't selling the silicon as you're having delivered to your stations - go into the Logical Overview and make sure there isn't a sell offer on your silicon because it may be that the ai are camping your stations and snaffling it up before you can process it.

ZombyDog fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Mar 31, 2021

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

One thing I noticed with research is that it sometimes asks for such a small amount of a material the AI never bothers with the order because it doesn't think its worth their time, even if there's materials available nearby. For stuff like Advanced Electronics I had to manually increase the buy order amount to get anyone to deliver some for research earlier in the tree.

The same can happen with Build Storage too, there's nothing like having a station sit unfinished for over an hour because nobody wants to bother delivering a single unit of Silicon Carbide from the factory literally next door :argh:

madfury
Dec 21, 2005
rõve loom
I have done the eco part of X4 to death. I'd like to get into boarding proper. I have the setup but now I have trouble finding targets. I read that SCA rep is locked at -5 and Bernd said there are 20 SCA capitals in the universe at all times so they seem a good target for practise. I cant find any of them. Where the fudge should I be looking at? I created a global notification if SCA L and XL ships are detected and I hear the notification sound, but I cant find any indication WHERE they are. What am I missing here?

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

madfury posted:

I have done the eco part of X4 to death. I'd like to get into boarding proper. I have the setup but now I have trouble finding targets. I read that SCA rep is locked at -5 and Bernd said there are 20 SCA capitals in the universe at all times so they seem a good target for practise. I cant find any of them. Where the fudge should I be looking at? I created a global notification if SCA L and XL ships are detected and I hear the notification sound, but I cant find any indication WHERE they are. What am I missing here?

I generally focus on trying to cap in Grand Exchange because that's where I stick stuff I'm not doing anything with ( and that's generally where they're messing about with my Traders - I still haven't gone deep into the economy side of things ). The problem with global notifications is that a lot of the time SCA ships are masquerading as another faction, so your satellite will ignore an SCA ship masquerading as a TEL or PAR vessel ( you can still tell because it'll be named as a Pillager or Plunderer, but once I tried capping a Pillager Minotaur that remained as belonging to the Paranid even after a number of scan attempts - I am running the Ship Variation Expansion and Minor Factions Extended mods and that may be messing with things). With your global notification though, make sure you have the write to logbook checkbox ticked, you can then refer to your logbook and there with be an arrow you can click on that'll move your map focus to the alert. I basically scan through the ship lists for Grand Exchange and Hewas Twin systems ( I keep satellites on the gates - And Hewas Twin The Cove is where the faction head of the SCA resides land there and chat to the faction leader if you want the join SCA cheevo ) looking out for said Pillagers and Plunderers, and I'll assign a fast scout to follow until further notice. At this point the scout vessel will follow the target ship forever unless it gets destroyed ( even if it loses LOS in another Sector or if it reflags it's allegiance ) and I'll round up the boys to proceed to cap. I've had no success capping OOS so I recommend a tough and shooty corvette as your personal ride ( Nemesis and Katana immediately spring to mind ) to disable and defang your target and you can use anything as your troop transports ( the most guys you can launch on a boarding party is 41 so if you only have newbs I suggest you have a full complement ). SCA ships tend to have a tiny complement of Marines so they should be easy to overcome, I haven't hit a FAF ship yet but apparently they're very hard ( they carry a decent complement of experienced marines ), and the ships are often poorly equipped so not as good a return on investment ( unless you're just after free Rattlesnakes then by all means board away ).

ZombyDog fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Mar 31, 2021

madfury
Dec 21, 2005
rõve loom

ZombyDog posted:

I generally focus on trying to cap in Grand Exchange because that's where I stick stuff I'm not doing anything with ( and that's generally where they're messing about with my Traders - I still haven't gone deep into the economy side of things ). The problem with global notifications is that a lot of the time SCA ships are masquerading as another faction, so your satellite will ignore an SCA ship masquerading as a TEL or PAR vessel ( you can still tell because it'll be named as a Pillager or Plunderer, but once I tried capping a Pillager Minotaur that remained as belonging to the Paranid even after a number of scan attempts - I am running the Ship Variation Expansion and Minor Factions Extended mods and that may be messing with things). With your global notification though, make sure you have the write to logbook checkbox ticked, you can then refer to your logbook and there with be an arrow you can click on that'll move your map focus to the alert. I basically scan through the ship lists for Grand Exchange and Hewas Twin systems ( I keep satellites on the gates - And Hewas Twin The Cove is where the faction head of the SCA resides land there and chat to the faction leader if you want the join SCA cheevo ) looking out for said Pillagers and Plunderers, and I'll assign a fast scout to follow until further notice. At this point the scout vessel will follow the target ship forever unless it gets destroyed ( even if it loses LOS in another Sector or if it reflags it's allegiance ) and I'll round up the boys to proceed to cap. I've had no success capping OOS so I recommend a tough and shooty corvette as your personal ride ( Nemesis and Katana immediately spring to mind ) to disable and defang your target and you can use anything as your troop transports ( the most guys you can launch on a boarding party is 41 so if you only have newbs I suggest you have a full complement ). SCA ships tend to have a tiny complement of Marines so they should be easy to overcome, I haven't hit a FAF ship yet but apparently they're very hard ( they carry a decent complement of experienced marines ), and the ships are often poorly equipped so not as good a return on investment ( unless you're just after free Rattlesnakes then by all means board away ).

Exactly the info I was looking for! Much appreciated. I must have missed the "Write to logbook" checkbox, I'll check again. I read from somewhere that the global notification actually can identify masked SCA ships. I'll do some testing to see if it is true.

I have 2 transports full of noob marines and a fully equipped Katana. Its a new 4.0 game start so I dont have unlimited resourcs at my disposal yet, but I think I should be able to farm SCA capitals. I also ran into Split Rattlesnake in one of the Xenon sectors and it was indeed full of manly men. No hope to cap that. Will try at somepoint because I really like Rattlesnakes :)

Edit: No checkbox needed (not there anymore?) for global alerts. They go to log by default and have the small arrow on the right to show location. Problem solved. Wanted to ask another question though - 4.0 introduced transaction log but the sum below is always 0. Do I need to configure it before it shows me total calculated profit-loss? Otherwise the sum feature is completely useless....

madfury fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Mar 31, 2021

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

So, fun fact: Turns out building every production facility at your HQ can cause your save-game to corrupt, somehow.
I've lost several hundred hours. :(

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Not to excuse it, more of a public service announcement. X4 is still a game you ought to treat like it's 2003 which means use every save slot you have so if something bad happens technically you lose 5 hours instead of 500.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love
So I listened to a hilarious youtube tutorial from some dude that’s like 50 and is wholesome AF. He constantly apologizes for being not great at computers or streaming (though tbh he’s way more digestible than the likes of pewdiepie).

He said to go to some region in the south to mine crystals as a newbie for early money. In his game though he looked pretty left alone by the pirates there. I was getting chased the whole drat time in my stupid elite vanguard.

Why the gently caress is a ship that moves at a snails pace and general awful called elite? Who wouldn’t they call that thing Winnebago or something more obviously “not elite”.

So I ended up getting like 1mil in crystals and sold it, then bought a scout ship at argon wharf. Which I then thought I was transporting to on the console thing outside of the trader.

Unfortunately I wasn’t transporting to my new ship, I went to a dock on some other docked freighter I guess. Then the godamn thing promptly departed the station. Now I’m stuck on this ducking freighter until it docks and then idk wtf I’m gonna do. I’m a just a stranded hitchhiker now with my new sport car stuck back in where the hell I was to begin with. I’m kinda like joe dirt.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I would generally recommend having backups of your entire user profile, which conveniently will include X4 saves.

I save mine via bogmatic once a day after work (automatically, of course)

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Unfortunately I wasn’t transporting to my new ship, I went to a dock on some other docked freighter I guess. Then the godamn thing promptly departed the station. Now I’m stuck on this ducking freighter until it docks and then idk wtf I’m gonna do. I’m a just a stranded hitchhiker now with my new sport car stuck back in where the hell I was to begin with. I’m kinda like joe dirt.

:allears:

Order a pilot for your scout at the wharf, tell the scout to dock at the freighter that abducted you, or wait until your abductor docks at a station and order the scout to dock there.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love

Antigravitas posted:

I would generally recommend having backups of your entire user profile, which conveniently will include X4 saves.

Order a pilot for your scout at the wharf, tell the scout to dock at the freighter that abducted you, or wait until your abductor docks at a station and order the scout to dock there.

Ty. I will definitely try this. But first I really want to see what happens if I try murdering the captain and robbing this mother fucker blind.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

zedprime posted:

Not to excuse it, more of a public service announcement. X4 is still a game you ought to treat like it's 2003 which means use every save slot you have so if something bad happens technically you lose 5 hours instead of 500.

Antigravitas posted:

If the issue was a simple one, I would've simply reverted to an earlier save as I have multiple saves and backups.(*)
The problem is that if I load pretty much any save game except one of the first few, the game is just going to get back into a state where it crashes.
I tested this multiple times.

*: I have considerably more than just multiple savegames and backups, since the game and userprofile is running off an iSCSI exported disk that's using the CAM target layer in FreeBSD to serve a ZFS dataset volume as a disk over 10G SFP+ Ethernet with jumbo frames.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Oof, that's rough. Sounds like something you should report to egosoft though, they actually do dissect save games. (That's one of the reasons why it's gzipped XML instead of something binary)

I've been thinking of just mounting a ZFS dataset via NFS. Saving should be sped up a little bit by using filesystem level compression instead of gzip, and :techno:

madfury
Dec 21, 2005
rõve loom
Yeah, boarding is the way to go mid game. Farming SCA destroyers is quite simple once you get access to a Nemesis or Katana class of ship and 40 marines. Seen a few destros going around with 10-15 crew so theoretically 30 monkeys with guns should do, no need for seasoned veterans. These things sell ~12mil a pop so easy money. Plus boarding is far more interesting than spamming out miners and traders. I think I'll move on to meatier targets.

madfury fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Mar 31, 2021

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

madfury posted:

Yeah, boarding is the way to go mid game. Farming SCA destroyers is quite simple once you get access to a Nemesis or Katana class of ship and 40 marines. Seen a few destros going around with 10-15 crew so theoretically 30 monkeys with guns should do, no need for seasoned veterans. These things sell ~12mil a pop so easy money. Plus boarding is far more interesting than spamming out miners and traders. I think I'll move on to meatier targets.

What weapons would you suggest on the Katana for boarding work? I've got a couple frigates and enough marines whose lives I don't care about lol

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Something accurate. I have a dragon raider with 4 bolts and 2 ions. You are going to be hugging the ship and targeting individual components so mass damage isn't really and issue.

Doing the plot missions to change the ai war states really changes the economy. Once I figured out my silicon bottleneck issue (miners didn't want to mine in grand exchange, but they love pious mists) and started the argon vs terran war, my economy is just booming selling to argon and ant. At this rate, an hour of seta while go do laundry is gonna give me enough creds to buy the warf bp and build it.

ughhhh fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Mar 31, 2021

sloppy portmanteau
Feb 4, 2019

RBA Starblade posted:

What weapons would you suggest on the Katana for boarding work? I've got a couple frigates and enough marines whose lives I don't care about lol

2 thermal disintegrators so you can whittle down the hull to 80% without taking down the shields first. That way if there are some overzealous AI faction ships pounding the disabled ship while you wait on your boarding they won't be able to damage it further. You can set the boarding strength to "Very strong" and they should start boarding before 80%, but in my experience you still need to get the hull down to at least 85% before they do anything.

Whatever in the other slots.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

RBA Starblade posted:

For any corvette taking on pirate destroyers, Ooops! All plasma! On your forward mounts to burst down turrets or shields. It's tempting to go all plasma on turrets too since everything happens at 0 m/s relative speed but I like flak or repeaters to try and trigger abandon ship.

Mk1 is good enough to destroy turrets but you might run into main shields you can't budge. If you can't afford mk2 plasma I'd recommend bringing a torpedo mount to make sure you can bring the shield down.

I'll destroy any turrets facing the ship butt, then pin it by destroying engines, and destroying any other turrets. Then bring in the cavalry while you work down hull, preferably with something with a lot of hits because they individually trigger abandonment hence using repeaters and flak. If they have a good support crew you could potentially cap it without a pitched marine fight as they repair hull damage then bail anyway because you keep plink plinking

E. 3 different replies 3 different load outs :blastu:

zedprime fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Mar 31, 2021

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Thanks, I'll pick some up and get to it, I see enough plunderer ships lurking around Grand Exchange so shouldn't take long to start an attempt

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Wish egosoft would add a casualty stat regarding the ongoing wars. Right now starting the war just sorta gives you a few messages about war and your creds go up. Being able to see the consequences on a dedicated screen would really flesh out the whole cause and effect part. On the one hand, watching my numbers grow feels great, but on the other knowing that it's all due to a war you started really makes me feel scummy.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

I saw a mod to add the option to ask them to dock and let you off somewhere.

madfury posted:

How do you transport the 30 monkeys with guns, though?

Icedude posted:

One thing I noticed with research is that it sometimes asks for such a small amount of a material the AI never bothers with the order because it doesn't think its worth their time, even if there's materials available nearby. For stuff like Advanced Electronics I had to manually increase the buy order amount to get anyone to deliver some for research earlier in the tree.

The same can happen with Build Storage too, there's nothing like having a station sit unfinished for over an hour because nobody wants to bother delivering a single unit of Silicon Carbide from the factory literally next door :argh:
But I had a ship assigned to the station! The 11 antimatter cells or whatever are the only things it has to buy!

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

The Terran Falx is pretty good as a mobile boarding helper. 27? Marines iirc in a corvette with good firepower and mobility. Get a mobility kill on a destroyer call in the Falx.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Zereth posted:

A couple medium trade ships with guns taken off should do the trick for SCA destroyers.

madfury
Dec 21, 2005
rõve loom

Zereth posted:

I used two transports, but repurposed first desto into marine carrier (fits 50). My general use Katana has 4 Proton Barrage MK2. Might try more boarding specialized loadouts too, going for hull while ignoring shields sounds useful. Have been too lazy to read the description of every weapon.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Zereth posted:

Before I started on SCA Capitals, I cut my teeth on SCA Gunboats. Causing S & M class ships to bail is a bit of a crapshoot and my method doesn't net you a Gunboat every time, some captains just won't bail, and sometimes you'll get a nasty surprise like a Gunboat with multiple tracking turret launchers and you forgot to restock your flares. Have yourself a hardy yet nimble S-Class ship, have your self a weapon set up that you're comfortable with, at least one service crewmember, and have a cargo hold full of the more valuable trade wares. I don't necessarily recommend an M Class Fighter. The baby carriers are going to struggle to keep up with a pirate with max engines and the corvettes are simply too killy, and we aren't trying to kill. Fly around Grand Exchange, the pirates will probably spot you before you spot them, they'll have scanned your ship and asked you to hand over the goods, you refuse and they'll immediately register as SCA. Again we're looking for Pillager & Plunderer boats, but a cargohold full of precious booty seems to draw em out faster than just relying on a satellite net. Engage your target! I use my Kukri with Mk2 Proton Barrages, but if you have a preferred S Class fighter with decent survivability and weapons loadout you'll do fine. Strip their shields quickly and start then working on their hull, at this point you want to do em slowly. Sit in their weapon dead zones and slowly chip away at their armour after around the 50% hull. At this point it's maths and random chance, a low morale pilot will bail with a higher chance, with less hull damage than a high morale pilot who will simply go down with their ship - I believe the bail check happens every 30 seconds so doing too much damage too quickly means that you might roll once to see if they bail before blowing em up. Eventually you're either going to force them to bail or you blow em up. You've got yourself a badly damaged Minotaur, or maybe some just mod parts and majaglit for your troubles. If it's an empty ship, check the area for hostiles ( because getting stuck in a fight while on a broken ship is a bad time and a quick trip to the game over screen, and I've missed an M more than once ). EVA over, find the little beacon near the airlock, hit that with your repair laser and claim the ship. Repair at your discretion and send over a crew member and command that ship to the nearest wharf.
So why did I explain all this? Because you take these stolen Minotaurs, sell the weapons, stick on a shield and fill it with marines and you now have a troop transport to assist you in stealing SCA Capitals. Or you fill em up full of Flak turrets and set them to defend area in your asteroid belt of choice to deal with Kha'ak interlopers ( actually use plasma if you're always OOS because maths). Or you strip them and sell them for a couple of mil. Dealers choice.

ZombyDog fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Mar 31, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

An interesting thing about the SCA minotaurs is they are a unique raider variant, which is half gunship half transporter, so they are actually quite versatile ships, they make decent armed transports akin to the teladi... condor is it? MIN sell it, it's basically the same idea, the teladi gunboat but with some of the gunpods replaced with cargo.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Zereth posted:

... My Supply Mule does not appear to be buying research materials for my player HQ for some reason.

EDIT: also is there a way to blacklist, like, individual parts of sectors so my ship stops flying through the hazardous zone in The Void?

Icedude posted:

Zereth posted:

But I had a ship assigned to the station! The 11 antimatter cells or whatever are the only things it has to buy!

In the current version of the mod, the supply mules have a hard-coded limit to only take trades that will fill at least 75% of their cargo space (this is apparently an improvement from it being 100% previously), so they'll blithely ignore filling in that last little bit of a ware you're short on. It's incredibly annoying! Assigning traders to the station the vanilla way doesn't have this limitation, but then you're dealing with all of the other annoying limitations of vanilla station traders instead.

So yeah, welcome to the the real X4 experience. If you aren't troubleshooting the AI or the performance, you're sitting in SETA waiting for stuff to happen.

game is still awesome though

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I had similar problems with assigning it as a normal trader but Grad Exchange seems to have some supply problems in general, i guess.

God drat it.

I'll look up the Kukri, having some armed transporters sounds useful.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
I use this for minefields and hazardous regions:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1984574397

I don't think the AI has been coded to fly around hazardous regions and it doesn't even matter OOS. Definitely feels like a half-finished feature.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Now that I'm into it I'm spending nearly all my time fiddling with station menus and supply chains lol

I'm finally playing X :v:

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

I just spent the last hour of work from home fiddling with my brand new warf. One set of spreadsheets to another I guess

ughhhh fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Mar 31, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

Now that I'm into it I'm spending nearly all my time fiddling with station menus and supply chains lol

Hell yeah you are.

I will say that the map mode where you can see all the sectors in real time makes the inevitable transition to spreadsheet simulator much nicer than it was in X3, the spreadsheets themselves are a lot nicer to look at and use.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm right there too. I was working on logistics for my stations when I realized I hadn't flown a ship in hours.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Not a huge fan of the paranid plot fighters that just shot my mk 3 shields off in one pass

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

So will I find out what happened to my wing man in the Terran cadet plot? I seem to have progressed to project genesis now.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

So will I find out what happened to my wing man in the Terran cadet plot? I seem to have progressed to project genesis now.
Yes, if you complete the PHQ and Hatikvah questlines you have an offer from Terran command to look further into the pirate threat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Boy, good thing I have a frigate group, that was rough.

Once I've unified the Paranid, what do I do to sic them on someone? Someone said they could attack Earth? Or am I still a few missions off?