Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

the new isaac expansion is real good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

PIZZA.BAT posted:

the new isaac expansion is real good

I want it!

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

look out kid!!!

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
XCOM2 was fun, although I never liked the slew of contrivances for why each mission needs to be completed in X turns or less. Have the timer trigger increasing waves of reinforcements instead, and add a global alert level that increases when you explode too much civilian poo poo or get into too many extended fire fights.

Then again the whole system of alerting enemy pods that is characteristic of the new XCOM series leads to fairly contrived strategies in general.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

The Fool posted:

wargroove is good

it's *fairly* good, but playing through it right now is precisely what is making me wish for another advance wars.

in all flavour wargroove is superior, but they mess with the formula in making it a bit less puzzly and more of a slog. too many units being sort of OK against others where advance wars has a really hardcore rock-paper-scissor thing with very decisive wins to each tiny skirmish. add to that capping villages doing damage to the unit, and all maps being quite large, making levels drag out with a ton of damaged units of greatly diminished usefulness cluttering your map.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

toiletbrush posted:

xcom2 was pretty fantastic but the Avatar Project countdown was a constant anxiety inducing distraction for me. I just wanted to do random skirmishes and upgrade my dudes.

Laser Squad was the best xcom

Laser Squid has like ten levels. (Or maybe it's different between versions?)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I don't like turn-based RNG strategy games like xcom but I would definitely play it if it were real time tactics like army men.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

I don't like turn-based RNG strategy games like xcom but I would definitely play it if it were real time tactics like army men.

X-COM Apocalypse can be played real-time.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Sagebrush posted:

i definitely had a slightly better time with fallout tactics because you can set up your dudes and arrange fields of fire in turn mode then flip to real time and watch poo poo go down

i can't remember if jagged alliance 2 had the same but i think it did and it owned

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i think real time tactics games are my favorite genre, actually.

i don't really like turn based stuff because the RNGs are really obvious and that makes me feel like i'm not in charge of the game.

but i also don't really like strategy games with base building because it always ends up being a slog through the tech tree to get to the fun part.

but a mini-RPG where you control a squad of units on a battlefield and just get periodic reinforcements and special powers from a pool? hell yeah. army men, world in conflict, darwinia. all awesome. more of those please

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
did you ever play myth? I think that works on modern computers now

myth made me realize traditional tech tree rtses are bad and I don't want to play them

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
If there's no RNG then turn-based strategy games become rather simple. Most of the fun in XCOM comes from those times when your guy does miss that critical 90% shot, then one of your guys gets shot in the face and you have to decide when and how to complete the mission or abort and try to extract before he bleeds out.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sapozhnik posted:

If there's no RNG then turn-based strategy games become rather simple.

Chess: known for its simplicity.

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
i really gotta just accept that xcom is not meant to be save-scummed through

maybe i'll finally try iron man and wipe out the git repo that powers my save directory

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

iron man is the only way to play xcom. save scumming really ruins the tension and improvisation

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

the rng is what makes my favorite rts, company of heroes, both extremely frustrating and extremely fun

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

i knew the melee combat in morrowind was a hilarious dice roll where you spend minutes flailing at a rat and hitting twice if your skill is low, but i forgot how feaking everything in this game is based on dice rolls. imo getting rid of this element for stuff like potions and repair hammers was a good idea

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
tactical games where the random factor is just what unit you move, where, and what opposing units you engage with it, with all other elements being deterministic, can still be incredibly fun and rewarding

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Kenny Logins posted:

tactical games where the random factor is just what unit you move, where, and what opposing units you engage with it, with all other elements being deterministic, can still be incredibly fun and rewarding

I think Gloomhaven gets randomness pretty close to right, the outcome of actions for most classes is nearly deterministic, with just a single point where it can enter the system in a well defined way.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Kenny Logins posted:

absolutely. let the randomness come from my own (in)ability to play the game and command the units. like oops i didn't notice the incoming fire and get my guy out of the blast radius quickly enough and the artillery shell landed directly on his head. that's a lot more engaging than a random chance of a critical hit.

it's just extremely frustrating to me when a game is like "the results of your turn are: no effect lmao" like what's the point. we have computers to do calculations now. we don't have to abstract things into literal dice rolls any more.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

i play a war game that's basically xcom but i could not get into it at all

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

i still load HoMM3 sometimes. i don't think that has anything to do with what anyone is talking about but i like to shot a pack of mewling imps with a titan

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Roosevelt posted:

i still load HoMM3 sometimes. i don't think that has anything to do with what anyone is talking about but i like to shot a pack of mewling imps with a titan
back in the day i liked the elemental vortex for a base but i wonder if it still holds up. the game generally was very good and probably holds up great overall

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

absolutely. let the randomness come from my own (in)ability to play the game and command the units. like oops i didn't notice the incoming fire and get my guy out of the blast radius quickly enough and the artillery shell landed directly on his head. that's a lot more engaging than a random chance of a critical hit.

it's just extremely frustrating to me when a game is like "the results of your turn are: no effect lmao" like what's the point. we have computers to do calculations now. we don't have to abstract things into literal dice rolls any more.
:haibrower:

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

https://twitter.com/keithjohnstack/status/1377244289051324424?s=21

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

X-COM Apocalypse can be played real-time.

yeah and it was hilarious. Just everyone booking it around the place while spraying bullets at blobby aliens

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

yeah and it was hilarious. Just everyone booking it around the place while spraying bullets at blobby aliens

Bullets? My friend if you're not spewing explosive projectiles absolutely loving everywhere, you're not playing an X-COM game right.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

how in the gently caress is my 1080ti still worth 700-800 dollars on ebay

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

bithcoin

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

the chip constraints aren't helping either, or are if you're looking to sell

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

you've got bitcoiners and Gamers, the two worst-with-money groups of manchildren on the planet, competing over the same product

there's no limit to how stupid the situation can get

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

im perfectly happy with it right now, i dont spend a lot of time thinkign about PC GAMING HARDWARE but i decided to google how much the latest cards cost for maxing out 4k rdr2 and jesus christ.

buying this eVGA 1080ti SC black in 2017 for like $700 is easily the most durable computer investment ive ever made

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
yeah half of it is demand, half of it is online shopping bots reaching new levels of polish, and half of it is the covid-induced semiconductor shortage

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

thats crazy. i absolutely lucked into buying this thing just before the entire market lost its goddamn mind apparently. i almost feel like someone who cares more should own this thing. i only turn my gaming pc on like once a week tops.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

I haven't played a single jame since late last year, I go through boom & bust moods. Two questions:

* All the Fallout4 LPs I've watched over the latest lockdown have got me feeling like some more Vault Tec fun - I know FO76 was a shitshow when it launched, has it been redeemed enough to want to play through the main story as single-playerishly as possible?

* I see Horizon Zero Dawn is 40% off all this week on Steam, it as good as the pretty graphics make out? I like a good open-world.

Also if you never got round to Witcher 3, the GOTY all DLC version is currently 80% off which is as cheap as I have ever seen it, that's a lot of game for the money.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

i haven’t played either game, but if it was one or the other Horizon Zero Dawn would be the easy winner

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I want one of the new AMD cards purely for Linux compatibility (because I have the sort of brain problems that makes people want to mainline Linux) but otherwise I'm still using a regular-rear end GTX 1080 from 2016 or so and it seems to work fine?

There aren't really any games coming out at the moment anyway on account of the plague.

Still, I really hope this GPU doesn't decide to die any time soon, because if it does then I guess I'll really be getting into SNES emulation for a year or so. Or dusting off the Bloodborne Box at the very least.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

the only game I could use a new video card in is cyberpunk, which I have already burned out on just because it's so mediocre

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I haven't played a single jame since late last year, I go through boom & bust moods. Two questions:

* All the Fallout4 LPs I've watched over the latest lockdown have got me feeling like some more Vault Tec fun - I know FO76 was a shitshow when it launched, has it been redeemed enough to want to play through the main story as single-playerishly as possible?

* I see Horizon Zero Dawn is 40% off all this week on Steam, it as good as the pretty graphics make out? I like a good open-world.

Also if you never got round to Witcher 3, the GOTY all DLC version is currently 80% off which is as cheap as I have ever seen it, that's a lot of game for the money.
i think wastelanders is supposed to have made fo76 decent at least

hzd apparently is a terrible port

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Sapozhnik posted:

I want one of the new AMD cards purely for Linux compatibility (because I have the sort of brain problems that makes people want to mainline Linux) but otherwise I'm still using a regular-rear end GTX 1080 from 2016 or so and it seems to work fine?

There aren't really any games coming out at the moment anyway on account of the plague.

Still, I really hope this GPU doesn't decide to die any time soon, because if it does then I guess I'll really be getting into SNES emulation for a year or so. Or dusting off the Bloodborne Box at the very least.

im using a 3060ti to game on linux (fedora) and it works fine