Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
8/10, a few unavoidable nitpicks but dumb and well-paced fun overall. Thankfully they've pretty much entirely given up on trying to shoot monster fights from the point-of-view of human characters, allowing for them to be coherent, satisfying, and kinetic. The hollow earth stuff is still insanely, ridiculously stupid and probably my least favorite part of this cinematic universe's internal mythology, but what are you going to do. Music was good when Wingard gets to use his favorite synth-wave sort of stuff, not so good when Junkie XL tries to do store-brand Ifukube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Zotix posted:

Kong saved the day at the end, but Godzilla is definitely the apex titan.

I got the impression that Godzilla was the apex titan for the earth's surface as always but Kong basically became the Hollow Earth enforcer, which also used to be how things were run back in ancient times

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Well that was absolutely everything I was hoping for. Definitely my favorite version of the Monsterverse Godzilla his speed and constant use of the atomic breath is aces to me. The fights were loving great, and I really loved Mecha G. His form really works better in motion. I have to admit I was a bit disappointed that Mecha G wasn't in disguise as Godzilla but it all worked out in the end.

A+ would recommend

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Barry Foster posted:

I think the difference is that psychic powers and flying saucers and all that are just obviously silly, hokey poo poo, whereas "alpha wolf/pack mentality" pseudoscience plays a very active role in contemporary discourse and ideology.

Like, most people think UFO nuts are whackos, but people take Jordan Peterson depressingly seriously

Yeah it's this. "Alpha" mentality is a huge, toxic part of society and directly and negatively affects people on a daily basis. Lots of people are really loving tired of the constant boosting of this garbage theory. Aliens calling down space chickens is goofy fantasy. Alpha theory leads to people being shot due to toxic masculinity.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I enjoyed it, good times.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Excited for tonight's Discord strim :dance:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I fully disagree with Godzilla not having personality. He has plenty. its just built on the back of the previous two movies. He could have used more screen time, but this is not his movie. This movie is Kong's, and it should be. Godzilla dominates this franchise and has two of the three movies centered on him specifically. Kong's only got the one movie, and no one, not in universe, believes he can win

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I just wanna know why Kong has no dong

I'm serious, it bothers the hell out of me

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Release the King Dong Cut

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Simone Magus posted:

I just wanna know why Kong has no dong

I'm serious, it bothers the hell out of me
Maybe he's supposed to grow a big giant dong when he encounters a hot female Kong, like it triggers a bunch of hormonal development stuff. But he's the last of his kind so he's stuck in this state forever.

e: Actually are we even sure he's the male? I mean either way there are questions

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

MrMojok posted:

If Legendary Pictures had any balls at all, every Kaiju would have gigantic loving tumors growing on it, or be suffering from stomach or bowel cancer, or both, from feasting on so much radiation and furthermore

It's hypothesized that big animals don't die from cancer at the same rate as humans and other smaller animals because their tumors have to grow so large to kill them that by that time the tumors have grown their own hypertumors that kill the original tumor!

https://academic.oup.com/icb/article/47/2/317/719209

Also, whales apparently have more anti-cancer genes, but hypertumors are way cooler so I'm going with that.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

teagone posted:

Excited for tonight's Discord strim :dance:

What time is the stream?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Burkion posted:

I fully disagree with Godzilla not having personality. He has plenty. its just built on the back of the previous two movies. He could have used more screen time, but this is not his movie. This movie is Kong's, and it should be. Godzilla dominates this franchise and has two of the three movies centered on him specifically. Kong's only got the one movie, and no one, not in universe, believes he can win

If this is @ me. I'd clarify that I think they did show personality but I felt like they changed his character. he seemed more reptilian and sinister here.

VS the more crusty bear movements and dignity he showed in the previous movies. I really liked that vibe from the previous two as matching the godzilla I projected onto the suits I watched growing up.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Detective No. 27 posted:

What time is the stream?

:getin:

[edit] I'll be doing the Scener room thing again for those who have HBO Max, but will again also be streaming in the Discord server for those without.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
The military industrial complex making work for itself. Makes me sick.

King Kong would've won.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The human stuff in this is dumb as poo poo but it knows it's dumb as poo poo and isn't up it's own rear end trying to make us care about these human nobodies like the first two. Say the explanation, make a joke, and then get the gently caress outta the way. Perfect. Loved the movie.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Xguard86 posted:

If this is @ me. I'd clarify that I think they did show personality but I felt like they changed his character. he seemed more reptilian and sinister here.

This is totally on purpose. They hooked up his arch nemises brain to a giant killer robot and it was driving him nuts because he was threatened. And then on top of that, Kong shows up. When the situation is resolved he calms down.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!
liked it enough but im bummed the action just felt like two regular characters duking it out instead of actual giants
the kotm characters were barely in it which is always a plus

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

About to double feature this and Monster Hunter. All I'm hoping for is either 1) I have fun with at least one of them, or 2) I at least have more fun than I did with KOTM (which I thought loving sucked)

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
This was so similar to bvs lol

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

There sure are a lot of competent actors trying to sell sub Scooby Doo level dialogue, lol

E: Finished it. Lot most reviewers, I loved the monster stuff and disliked the human stuff. Kong had the best arc of anyone.

Mantis42 fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Mar 31, 2021

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I rewatched G14 just now and it’s kinda crazy how “realistic” it is compared to GvK. It’s only been 7 years and two sequels, but now we’ve got THE HOLLOW EARTH, intercontinental hyperloop pods, anti-grav spaceships, massive Monarch bases, humans piloting giant mecha via the drift psionic interface with a Ghidorah brain, and an AI that’s briefly mentioned once in the first ten minutes but apparently can take control of said mecha once it has the power of THE HOLLOW EARTH.

The biggest tech plot point in G14 is “the MUTOs cause EMPs, so stick an old school detonator in that nuke”.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I rewatched G14 just now and it’s kinda crazy how “realistic” it is compared to GvK. It’s only been 7 years and two sequels, but now we’ve got THE HOLLOW EARTH, intercontinental hyperloop pods, anti-grav spaceships, massive Monarch bases, humans piloting giant mecha via the drift psionic interface with a Ghidorah brain, and an AI that’s briefly mentioned once in the first ten minutes but apparently can take control of said mecha once it has the power of THE HOLLOW EARTH.

The biggest tech plot point in G14 is “the MUTOs cause EMPs, so stick an old school detonator in that nuke”.

Compare the first Godzilla to the 4th in that series. It's the trajectory you kinda have to take if you wanna keep going.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I like the kaiju stuff getting more fantastic, with the inclusion of crazy stuff like an upside down Hollow Earth. The human tech turning sci fi didn't add anything good to the series, except I guess the ugliest MechaGodzilla design in Godzilla history.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/rottentomatoes/status/1377305794417332225?s=21

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I loved the hell out of that. I realized once I started the movie that I didn't even know what the premise was going in, other than "monster fight monster", because the trailer hadn't revealed anything about it. Because they didn't need to. Then they were like, "Hollow Earth, energy source, Kong has genetic memory to get us there," and I was like, "I mean, yeah, sure, why shouldn't that be what the movie is about, I guess?" The movie was way weirder than I was expecting, but in a good way. I like KotM more than some people around here, but I think that movie occasionally takes itself too seriously, considering it's a dumb "monster fight monster" movie. This movie does not have that problem. It is very silly, and very fun. And does not waste time. The opening feels almost rushed, but in a way I appreciated, because it felt like the movie was telling you, "We know, you want to get to the good parts, just let us get through the setup, we'll be quick." Less than 2 hours, it knows what kind of movie it is.

So did MechaGodzilla turn evil because it was possessed by the soul (or whatever) of the monster from KotM? Or was that just a standard AI that went bad? Because for most of the movie, I was kind of agreeing with the head of Apex. Like, yeah, we probably should have our own defense against Kaiju and not be reliant on Godzilla. In the last 2 movies, he would occasionally take a while to show up, while thousands of people died. Having our own line of defense is probably a good idea. Why is he the bad guy, again? And then his plan went to poo poo, so I guess that's why.

I did find it funny that they somehow managed to use even less of Kyle Chandler than the last movie. He was completely useless in this movie. But it's not like I wanted more of him.

I miss Charles Dance. Only real complaint. Loved it.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Mar 31, 2021

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I don't even understand what Charles Dance's character even is supposed to be in retrospect. He was an ecoterrorist in KotM but he gave Ghidorah's head to a megacorp that wants to make it's own kaiju to secure human dominance. What?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Apex's plan was to kill Godzilla, not supplement him

Godzilla shooting a hole through the planet to scream at Kong was awesome

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

Apex's plan was to kill Godzilla, not supplement him

Wasn't it both, though? Kill him in order to become the one true defender of humanity?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

Godzilla shooting a hole through the planet to scream at Kong was awesome

Oh absolutely.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

This was alright, a strong 7/10 - but barely - held up by the kaiju action. It's better than KoTM to some degree but I wanted more classic monsters to show up or make a cameo since this is it for Legendary. Also a complete goddamn waste of Lance Reddick. He does gently caress all. Why was he even cast with that incredible voice? I'd swap him with Alexander Skarsgard. And holy poo poo the side plot with Millie Bobby Brown and her pals was absolute garbage. Exposition after exposition on things they should have NO KNOWLEDGE of. gently caress.

I will say the little girl and her mom ARE very good. That stuff was interesting, well acted and a joy to watch. Needed more heart like that. Not quip machines.

Loved the little homage to Kong stuffing a tree down Godzillas throat when he stuffs the axe down there, lol.

Hopefully the Toho movies take the seriousness of these and bless them with more monster on monster action.

I think the Godzilla anime is out tomorrow, eh? PUNCH PUNCH PUNCH.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Maybe, I just wasn't sure you got that they wanted to kill godzilla, not just have a fast react option until he showed up or something

evil apex man whose name i've already forgotten made his need to be gozilla's "alpha" made that clear

i also agree that all the "alpha" language was disappointing, harmful, and stupid

e: i don't think the point of mechagodzilla was to be the "true defender of humanity," I think it was "show this rear end in a top hat who's in charge around here," hence all that alpha language

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I also loved the big bad guy not getting to finish his speech. I'm a sucker for big evil speech tropes getting messed with.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

seems like many of the reviews are 2.5 stars out of four, or 6/10, etc. etc., so it is getting by fresh through these razor thin margins. hey, good enough

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
Oh no now Mechagodzilla is haunted by the ghost of King Ghidorah was my read on it and it's exactly the level of dumb I was expecting.

I loved it.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Mantis42 posted:

I don't even understand what Charles Dance's character even is supposed to be in retrospect. He was an ecoterrorist in KotM but he gave Ghidorah's head to a megacorp that wants to make it's own kaiju to secure human dominance. What?

They say his deal in KotM. He's an eco terrorist who funds his operation by selling kaiju poo poo. He's probably off blowing up offshore drilling platforms or something.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Captain_Person posted:

Oh no now Mechagodzilla is haunted by the ghost of King Ghidorah was my read on it and it's exactly the level of dumb I was expecting.

I loved it.

Yeah, that was how I read it, too. Which is ridiculous, but fun and insane. But someone mentioned an AI, so I was curious.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

I enjoyed that the one responsible for all the mayhem is an unscrupulous tech CEO, who builds a false god, because he feels mankind (he) should be in charge from his own pride and hubris. Corporate billionaires are the literal personification of the mistaken alpha/gorilla (lol) mindset, and they're also responsible for maintaining the system that spreads this garbage when they aren't doing it personally through social media and tv interviews.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
Fun movie but man that design is even uglier than the one in Ready Player One. Kiryu still reigns supreme.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

One man's mad crusade to burn the world down just to not be a beta cuck next to Chadzilla

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

And in the end, Godzilla and Kong decide they can BOTH be Chad.

The morale: Dudes Rock.