Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

bull3964 posted:

From last week:

Weird that the best season is the one that Gaiman had the least to do with and which deviated from his book the most (while he whined about it). One of the stories out of Season 2 were that McShane and others were having to re-write on set because the dialogue they were getting was awful.

Anyway, Jim Belushi is tweeting about how he's learning lines from a script again and a new David Lynch show starts shooting next month. I refuse to believe it's a coincidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I liked season 3 more than 2, it was a bit more focused and actually seemed like it was driving towards something.

Yeah, that cliffhanger. I guess there's some rumbling of a wrapup movie, but I doubt it's going to happen.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Tenzarin posted:

Joe Rogan is this generations Maya Angelou.

Jamie, pull up that video of that gorilla... jesus christ man, tear your arms right off... whoah...

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Rick and Morty Season 5 will start June 20th.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bull3964 posted:

Neat.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

It ended on episode 3. There are 8 episodes this season.

fair enough, I thought that didn't make sense.

Maybe I'll like it even more by the end.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Sounds like a few potentially great shows were ruined with out of sequence storytelling.

https://twitter.com/sepinwall/status/1376521271312228361?s=21

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Mar 30, 2021

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I remember the back-end of Battlestar Galactica S2 had a ton of episodes in a row that all did the "24 hours/48 hours/1 week earlier" bit to the degree that even the crew started making fun of it, though I think at least after that they steered clear of it going forward. Perhaps not coincidentally those included pretty much the worst episodes of BSG, too.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh wow they killed a main character in the cold open -26 HOURS EARLIER- oh it's bullshit

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

He better not watch Memento...

Edit: ah well poo poo. That's what I get for posting before reading the article

Cactus fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Mar 30, 2021

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Anyone who liked Solar Opposites should give Roiland’s game Trover Saves the Universe a shot. As a game it’s alright but it’s really, really goddamn funny if you like that sense of humor.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Chairman Capone posted:

I remember the back-end of Battlestar Galactica S2 had a ton of episodes in a row that all did the "24 hours/48 hours/1 week earlier" bit to the degree that even the crew started making fun of it, though I think at least after that they steered clear of it going forward. Perhaps not coincidentally those included pretty much the worst episodes of BSG, too.

Alias seemed to be the one that did this all the time

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The Witcher's timeline was janky as gently caress, but as soon as I read it was all being told out of order for no reason I was able to just kick back and not care. I don't think that sort of a thing is necessarily a death sentence but it certainly doesn't make many shows better.

I'm guessing its all due to streaming numbers and how a successful show is calculated. If they put a bunch of fun stuff early enough the audience will watch slightly longer and they'll get renewed because that's the only metric streamers care about.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

feedmyleg posted:

The Witcher's timeline was janky as gently caress, but as soon as I read it was all being told out of order for no reason I was able to just kick back and not care. I don't think that sort of a thing is necessarily a death sentence but it certainly doesn't make many shows better.

I'm guessing its all due to streaming numbers and how a successful show is calculated. If they put a bunch of fun stuff early enough the audience will watch slightly longer and they'll get renewed because that's the only metric streamers care about.

The Witcher did it in a super weird way because there was no indication that things were being done out of order. The out-of-order shenanigans added nothing to the show and had me completely baffled until I read about it, but that was after I gave up on it anyway.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I liked the Witcher quite a bit but yea the three separate storylines set decades apart with only snippets of dialogue to hint at it was a bad choice.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
I also feel like the whole "24 hours earlier" thing completely misses the point of in medias res. You are supposed to start in the middle of the action and then keep going, filling out the backstory through dialogue and context. I mean, if the introductory part of the story is so boring that you don't trust it to keep the viewers attention, why include it at all?

Obviously, this doesn't apply when non-linear narratives are used to achieve an artistic effect, but the default "let's move this one cool scene to the front so people don't change the channel" is just lazy storytelling.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The CW live action Powerpuff Girls has cast its Professor Utonium and you'll never guess who.

Donald Faison.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

muscles like this! posted:

The CW live action Powerpuff Girls has cast its Professor Utonium and you'll never guess who.

Donald Faison.

I read that name and immediately pictured Frankie in my head. And now I'm sad it isn't.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The Witcher did it in a super weird way because there was no indication that things were being done out of order. The out-of-order shenanigans added nothing to the show and had me completely baffled until I read about it, but that was after I gave up on it anyway.

By the time I finished the show I had seen people complaining about the "super complicated" timeline shenanigans (just the headlines, not the details) and I assumed there was going to be some huge timey wimey mindfuck twist in the tail, but no; it was just the blatantly obvious stuff that anyone paying even partial attention should have caught by episode two.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

All the Witcher had to do was put a date or a "20 years later" thing at the bottom of the screen like almost every other show that features time jumps does and all would have been well. I'm still baffled why they didn't.

Sure, if you're paying super close attention and/or are familiar with the source material you can pick up what's happening but come on, the obvious reality is that very few casual Netflix viewers fall into that category. Wherever the line is between having respect for your viewers intelligence and making your story reasonably easy to follow, the Witcher was just shy of falling on the right side of it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Part of the problem was that the show is a bit of a slog a lot of the time so it was easy to stop paying attention and miss whatever small cues they had about the time gaps.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6Zy_mLgSNQ

Trailer if you want one

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Cactus posted:

Sure, if you're paying super close attention and/or are familiar with the source material you can pick up what's happening but come on, the obvious reality is that very few casual Netflix viewers fall into that category.

If people can't work it out they're either not paying attention at all, in which case they have no right to complain, or they're morons. I had never read the books or played the games. I'm not someone who pays super close attention when watching shows and my memory's poo poo, but I got it in episode 1.

There were huge loving hints in the first three episodes, but it's not necessary for anybody to know before episode four, when it's spelled out in huge letters so even the dumbest viewer should get it.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Why only give 'hints' though? It's not treated as some massive twist with a big reveal. It was silly not having '20 years earlier' cards.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Junkenstein posted:

Why only give 'hints' though? It's not treated as some massive twist with a big reveal. It was silly not having '20 years earlier' cards.

Because they knew that people would be able to pick it up without a card. Which most did. It's not giving 'hints' like a big mystery, it's just not telling you outright either. There's nothing wrong with not bludgeoning the audience over the head at all times.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

theblackw0lf posted:

Sounds like a few potentially great shows were ruined with out of sequence storytelling.

https://twitter.com/sepinwall/status/1376521271312228361?s=21

Speaking of Rick and Morty, whenever people talk about in media res I always think about this bit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJ-Z_DW0AuE

It's basically Harmon listing off his screenplay pet peeves but it's also just a great guide to avoid hacky writing in general. Whenever you write something, ask yourself: are you doing anything the Screenplay Guy would do?

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
New Godzilla owns but man Coach Taylor finally started aging, and it looks like the past 10 years all caught up with him at once

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I know that i'm about 40 years too late, but I just finished Little House on the Prarie and it was really good!

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Oasx posted:

I know that i'm about 40 years too late, but I just finished Little House on the Prarie and it was really good!

...really? I'd always assumed it was like, white American propaganda fluff. It's good?

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

DrVenkman posted:

Because they knew that people would be able to pick it up without a card. Which most did. It's not giving 'hints' like a big mystery, it's just not telling you outright either. There's nothing wrong with not bludgeoning the audience over the head at all times.

Some did. Enough didn't that it became a very common criticism that could easily have been avoided. Putting "20 years later" at the bottom of the screen for a couple of seconds when needed is not "bludgeoning the audience" and would not have detracted at all from the overall experience of watching The Witcher for anyone, whether they had already cottoned on or not. Not doing so did detract from the experience for a not-insignificant number of people, enough that we're still bringing it up today when the topic of unneeded time jumps comes up. I had to point it out to a couple of my friends that each character arc was taking place decades apart, after which they stopped getting confused as to the timeline of events and were able to enjoy it. Had I not read (most of) the first short story book I probably would have been the same. None of us are slavering morons unable to put 2 and 2 together - we're slavering morons for different reasons - it's just that we're just used to certain conventions being used to indicate when time jumps are occuring that were not being used here.

Nothing to lose if you do, something to lose if you don't, and they chose not to. Baffling.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Simone Magus posted:

...really? I'd always assumed it was like, white American propaganda fluff. It's good?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31wTSY3nZZs

Sorry for the extremely irritating watermark here

Also I thought Todd Bridges died like all those other 80s child stars but he didn't! Good news!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Oasx posted:

Time for Gunsmoke!

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

zoux posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31wTSY3nZZs

Sorry for the extremely irritating watermark here

Holy gently caress. That's great.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Simone Magus posted:

Little House on the Prairie is inoffensive family faire. I haven't seen all of it, but my mom loved it so, when I was growing up and we had a day off from school (and during the summer), it was time for LIttle House as soon as the cartoons ended around 9am. She departed the wisdom on me that every episode falls into one of two categories, sad or funny.

That Nelly Olson was a snotty little poo poo though

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Iron Crowned posted:

Little House on the Prairie is inoffensive family faire. I haven't seen all of it, but my mom loved it so, when I was growing up and we had a day off from school (and during the summer), it was time for LIttle House as soon as the cartoons ended around 9am. She departed the wisdom on me that every episode falls into one of two categories, sad or funny.

That Nelly Olson was a snotty little poo poo though

I don't think it's fair to call it inoffensive. Sure it isn't The Wire, but a surprising amount of people die. Compared to dramas of today it can get pretty darn dark.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Oasx posted:

I don't think it's fair to call it inoffensive. Sure it isn't The Wire, but a surprising amount of people die. Compared to dramas of today it can get pretty darn dark.

it was the 70's, people died all the time

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Ye gods CBS, have a little dignity
https://twitter.com/Snoodit/status/1377357712678211587

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Should've been CSI: Miami

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!