Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I sure didn't enjoy that teen titans academy book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I thought it was fine.

Harley Quinn was a surprise for not being really annoying.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I thought it was pretty good, especially compared against the indecipherable gibberish that was Sheridan's Future State output. They really are banking on me giving a drat about this Red X shite, though.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
I've been reading through Ed Brubaker's work and just finished Gotham Central. It's great and it seems like an easy project to adapt for TV...which upon checking is apparently something we'll see in the near future.

The series ends with "to be continued in 52." Is 52 the good weekly series from that era? I forget if it was Countdown or 52 that people hated.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
52 is a lot of fun with an all-star creative team, Countdown is an execrable mess.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I've been reading through Ed Brubaker's work and just finished Gotham Central. It's great and it seems like an easy project to adapt for TV...which upon checking is apparently something we'll see in the near future.

The series ends with "to be continued in 52." Is 52 the good weekly series from that era? I forget if it was Countdown or 52 that people hated.

Countdown was 52 done right, if you're Dan Didio. So 52 is the good one.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Vince MechMahon posted:

Countdown was 52 done right, if you're Dan Didio. So 52 is the good one.

That is definitely one of my favorite quotes ever, good lord. It seemed insane at the time, and has only gotten worse with the passing years.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
New issue of The Other History of the DC Universe is out and this one focuses on Katana and, almost presciently, Asian-Americans. Specifically in the 1980s and early 90s up to an and including the LA Riots and the Death of Superman

Edit: This is also another brutal issue as it brings up Deathstroke and Terra's relationship and all of the :chloe: that it entails.

It's also sorta like Issue #2 focused on the Outsiders a lot but it does give Katana more personal time

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Mar 30, 2021

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Just read the Joker Fish story and there is the modern Joker. I was wondering when the full transformation would happen.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Mr Hootington posted:

Just read the Joker Fish story and there is the modern Joker. I was wondering when the full transformation would happen.

I wouldn't even say that's Modern Joker exactly. Modern Joker basically has no traits beyond being obsessed with Batman while Laughing Fish works because it's Joker doing horrible, awful things in service of a completely nonsense goal that doesn't really have much to do with Batman.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Blockhouse posted:

I wouldn't even say that's Modern Joker exactly. Modern Joker basically has no traits beyond being obsessed with Batman while Laughing Fish works because it's Joker doing horrible, awful things in service of a completely nonsense goal that doesn't really have much to do with Batman.

The entire scheme is to best Batman. He stops and threatens Thorne and says as much. That j
Joker will protect the Batman because the Batman is who the joker wants to play with. At this point everything Joker does is established to be about Batman and nothing else.

Joker does stop at the copyright office to have the fish copyrighted, but he knows it can't be done. This entire scheme is to "joust" eith Batman.

It is a very good story.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Mar 30, 2021

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I completely forgot about that part not gonna lie

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

https://twitter.com/kthorjensen/status/1376924197687975937

Finally a DC writer with the balls to say it.

I think I need to pick up The Other History Of The DC Universe.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Yeah I found this issue very, very impressive and would recommend it even if people haven't read the first two (though they should!). On the one hand, I'm a little iffy on the whole "It's not actually a magic sword that sucks the souls of its victims, people just think so 'cuz of racism" part 'cuz, c'mon, it's comic books, just let there be magic swords. On the other hand, I'm not really enough of a Katana-aficionado to care that much. v:v:v

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

BrianWilly posted:

Yeah I found this issue very, very impressive and would recommend it even if people haven't read the first two (though they should!). On the one hand, I'm a little iffy on the whole "It's not actually a magic sword that sucks the souls of its victims, people just think so 'cuz of racism" part 'cuz, c'mon, it's comic books, just let there be magic swords. On the other hand, I'm not really enough of a Katana-aficionado to care that much. v:v:v

It's an interesting alternate take if you wanted to make Katana more street level, but in the grand scheme it doesn't matter too much afaict. Next issue is Renee Montoya so Hispanic-American and LGBT issues are next while we go through the DC universe in the early 90s and the turn of the millennium to probably a little after 52. So Knightfall, Zero Hour, No Man's Land. Identity Crisis and Infinite Crisis.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
On one hand, I appreciate them willing to tackle the story point head on instead of trying to soften it in pursuit keeping Slate marketable

On the other hand, it's loving weird that they still publish comic books with that guy if they're willing to go at him that hard. Then again, his ongoing ended, so maybe he's going to be put into the same dark corner where Marvel keeps the Punisher right now.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

I don't remember Geo-Force ever getting to like squish Deathstroke with rocks and lava, which seems like it would be a natural story to tell at some point, like there should be an issue of Outsiders where Black Lightning is shouting "BRION, you can't KILL DEATHSTROKE! Then you'd be NO BETTER than HE IS!" on the cover

incidentally "Geo-Force" is my pick for all time worst superhero name (pre 1990s, excluding Legionnaires)

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

OnimaruXLR posted:

On one hand, I appreciate them willing to tackle the story point head on instead of trying to soften it in pursuit keeping Slate marketable

On the other hand, it's loving weird that they still publish comic books with that guy if they're willing to go at him that hard. Then again, his ongoing ended, so maybe he's going to be put into the same dark corner where Marvel keeps the Punisher right now.

Did that story even happen post all the reboots or did it get retconned out?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Karma Tornado posted:

I don't remember Geo-Force ever getting to like squish Deathstroke with rocks and lava, which seems like it would be a natural story to tell at some point, like there should be an issue of Outsiders where Black Lightning is shouting "BRION, you can't KILL DEATHSTROKE! Then you'd be NO BETTER than HE IS!" on the cover
Brad Meltzer (who once wrote an essay about how his "stomach sank to his testicles" when reading about Terra's betrayal, a line he re-used in Identity Crisis) later wrote what was ostensibly a Final Crisis tie-in "DC Universe: Last Will and Testament" that was mostly about Geo-Force going "well if the world is ending, I want my final act to be to murder Deathstroke". Black Lightning even tries to talk him out of it in the comic! So they did kind of do this, eventually.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sadly Geo-Force is a far less valuable brand to DC than Deathstroke.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
We got our first Wally West lead Flash comic book since 2010 today and it was alright. Art looks weird though.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Karma Tornado posted:

incidentally "Geo-Force" is my pick for all time worst superhero name (pre 1990s, excluding Legionnaires)

Terrible costume, too. Dude looks like a bottle of Mr. Clean. Just an all-around garbage superhero.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

was his costume based on Terra's, was it the other way around, or were they designed at the same time? I've never been sure, but it doesn't really matter because he looks like a character created for a promo comic from the cotton farmers association about the grave threat of boll weevils

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
this is an interesting gimmick, though doing something like this without any creatives attached is pretty questionable, and many of these have the distinct whiff of pitches from 5-10 years ago that were shelved

https://community.dcuniverseinfinite.com/t/your-complete-guide-to-dcs-2021-round-robin-brackets/1517952

quote:

Hear ye, hear ye! Welcome, citizens of the DC Universe, to ROUND ROBIN!

ROUND ROBIN is where DC Publishing asks you, the fans, to vote on 16 different stories to determine which one will be made into a complete series. Each block of voting will be rewarded with new sneak peeks and goodies to delight your senses and spur one of these stories on to VICTORY!

Once one of these storylines emerges the victor, our editorial team will start their engines to have the full series roll out in late 2021.

quote:

THE EXPANDED STORY DETAILS
TITLE WHAT IT’S ABOUT
:00_lc_green_lantern:Green Lanterns: Underworld On Fire A deadly outfit of space outlaws are razing the intergalactic underworld sector by sector under the command of a disruptive new kingpin, in search of an ancient payday worth becoming the target of every power player in the galaxy—including Sinestro! Green Lanterns Kyle Rayner and Kilowog are put on the case, but will Kyle be able to do this one by the book when he finds out who’s behind it all?
:candy:Etta Candy: Holliday Hero, Inc. On summer break from Holliday College, an accident grants Etta Candy her very own superpowers! Taking on the new superhero mantle of Candy Stripe, Etta joins forces with Wonder Woman, Amanda Waller, and her Beeta Lambda sorority sisters to create Holliday Hero Inc.—an all-girls agency sworn to protect and assist anyone in need. WOO WOO!
:bug:The Brave and the Bug: Crisis on Infinite Ambush Ambush Bug must team up with some of DC’s greatest heroes to survive an attack by revenge-seeking Ambush Bugs from across the MULTIVERSE who never got to exist thanks to AB’s refusal to be rebooted.
:tophat:Zatanna and the King of Nightmares Something is terribly wrong with Zatanna’s powers, but before she can heal herself, she is forced to confront her worst fears in a strange new spiritual realm ruled by the terrifying otherworldly foe known as the King of Nightmares.
:motorcycle:Lobo / Animal Man: Scorched Earth Lobo. The name makes entire alien races collectively wet themselves with fear. The Main Man is proudly hyper-violent, arrogant, loud, stubborn, impatient, and ill-tempered. The best thing about him is that after he completes his contract, he leaves. Until now…
:japanese_ogre:Son of the Creeper An awkward teenager’s life is turned upside down when he inherits his dad’s chaotic powers. With his family in danger, Kieran Millar must save a father he doesn’t know from the monster he’s become.
:00_dc_pride:Justice League Queer Eight young queer heroes investigate a series of monstrous manifestations around the world and discover that something much more terrifying is coming.
:00_robin:Robins In the Blüdhaven apartment of Dick Grayson, a group of young people meets for coffee, doughnuts, and kvetching (between long, awkward silences.) The only thing they have in common? All were once Kid Wonders. Sidekicks to Batman. Robins.
:paw_prints: Paws Off the Justice League When the Justice League disappears, Jimmy Olsen and the Super Pets must save the world from certain doom by posing as the missing League.
:00_flash:Jesse Quick: Control When Jesse Quick uses her speed to access an alien artifact from a long-dead civilization, she finds herself imbued with the ability to harness and control the elements around her as her former super-speed is drained. But, when the power begins to corrupt Jesse, she must decide to give up these gifts or risk becoming, quite literally, her own worst enemy.
:mortar_board: Blue Beetle: Graduation Day Trapped between heroics and his future, Jaime Reyes is directionless. When the Reach interrupt Jaime’s high school graduation, things only get worse. Starfire becomes a new mentor to Blue Beetle, but is it Jaime or the Scarab that’s really in the driver’s seat? And why hasn’t Jaime applied to any colleges?
:fr: Nightrunner: Love in Paris All of Paris is obsessed with an intoxicating virtual songstress, whose holographic stage shows are lighting up the City of Love. But when the “vocaloid” ingenue’s fans start to disappear, Nightrunner must track down the infamous developer behind the eerily realistic celebrity AI.
:st_swamp_thing:Swamp Thing: A House of Secrets When love will not die, the dead must rise from the grave to kill it.
Louisiana, 1905: Caught in an eternal triangle of love and living death, the monstrous Alex Olsen; his widow, Linda; and his undead rival, Damian, vie for control of the cursed swamp where life, death, the past, and the future spiral into one never-ending nightmare.
:00_suicide_squad:Suicide Squad Seven Harley Quinn leads a team of criminals—a millionaire adventurer, a stage magician, a sugar-obsessed serial killer, a delusional former superhero, a drunk assassin, a mute metahuman, and a child who becomes a monster—to stop the centuries-old Church of Blood from trying to destroy all of humankind.
:00_wonder_woman_1982: Asteria: The Last Amazon An immortal Amazonian champion returns to Man’s World to discover her and the Amazons’ sacrifice now forgotten; a new breed of hero seeking power, glory, and dominance; and the secret family she left behind offering one last chance at redemption.
:superman:Superman & Lois: Ignition Our solar system is a machine—and its purpose is to trap and kill Superman! The sun is darkening, Mars’s orbit is changing, and a mysterious citadel in Jupiter’s Great Red Eye has awoken; it is time for Kal-El to stand against the very end of his world. But he won’t be doing it alone: Lois Lane is suited up and blasting off to get the biggest story in human history…and to watch Clark’s back as he faces his greatest challenge yet. Facing ancient aliens and planet-sized machines, trickster asteroids and the gigakrakens of Neptune, Superman and Lois will fight across all nine planets to prevent Earth’s dark destiny and save our future!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Let me save you the trouble, whichever one has the greater chance for Batman to appear wins. Congrats to Robins!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

X-O posted:

Let me save you the trouble, whichever one has the greater chance for Batman to appear wins. Congrats to Robins!

A bit of a tight race right now actually.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

They should do a round robin with 16 different Robin's and the winner gets to not be killed by the Joker in their next big event, Robincide.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Most of those sound terrible. I really need to switch to marvel.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Agreed. They don't even know what a round robin is! This is a single-elimination tournament! It's totally different!

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Ryan North said that he's behind one of the pitches so I hope that one wins. I'm guessing Super Pets, but there are a few contenders.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

It kinda sucks that a wacky concept like "Kyle Rayner does...literally anything?" has to be consigned to a Very Special Event Book, but it doesn't suck enough that I didn't vote for it.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The Ambush Bug one seems amusing, but Zatana is more popular than him. Justice League Queer seems like a strange title and the actual pitch for it doesn't sound interesting despite it being probably okay. Lots of characters that haven't shown up in a while for this too like Night Runner or Jaime Reyes or Animal Man. Suicide Squad Seven seems like the most solid and enticing pitch, IMO.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Xelkelvos posted:

The Ambush Bug one seems amusing, but Zatana is more popular than him. Justice League Queer seems like a strange title and the actual pitch for it doesn't sound interesting despite it being probably okay. Lots of characters that haven't shown up in a while for this too like Night Runner or Jaime Reyes or Animal Man. Suicide Squad Seven seems like the most solid and enticing pitch, IMO.

I've always disliked them just putting another word after Justice League, and making that word a slur (even a reclaimed one) doesn't make me like it more.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Nightrunner always deserved better than what he got, so I'm glad to see he's getting a chance at least.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Two Tone Shoes posted:

We got our first Wally West lead Flash comic book since 2010 today and it was alright. Art looks weird though.

I bought this week's issue of The Flash, drat the price hike, I bought it... and it was good.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I managed to grab a copy of Nightwing #78. The shop owner had set them aside in the back so he could sell them to people who actually wanted to read it and not just scalp it for $30.

Also apparently Flash is getting some speculator poo poo going on with it too?

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

Barry Convex posted:

this is an interesting gimmick, though doing something like this without any creatives attached is pretty questionable, and many of these have the distinct whiff of pitches from 5-10 years ago that were shelved

https://community.dcuniverseinfinite.com/t/your-complete-guide-to-dcs-2021-round-robin-brackets/1517952

Missed opportunity for one of these to be "Bouncing Boy goes back in time to hang out with Batman."

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I wonder how far I can get into this read order before giving up

https://comicbookreadingorders.com/dc/dc-master-reading-order/

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Roth posted:

I wonder how far I can get into this read order before giving up

https://comicbookreadingorders.com/dc/dc-master-reading-order/

I really doubt I'm going to get very far but so far:

Action Comics 1 & 6: Art feels extremely rough, some good goofy out of context panels.

Action Comics 6 being a story about a lovely manager for Superman that just franchises him everywhere against his will sure has become interesting in the context of what eventually happens between DC and Siegel/Shuster.

Detective Comics 27 definitely feels like it has aged better than the corresponding Superman comics, and does feel quite a bit more mature in terms of content. It's more like a lowkey detective story than what Batman will become.

Batman 1's intro of the Joker is very weirdly creepy: Just random murders because he can, and nobody can stop him. The non-Joker parts of the issue are, uh, there alright and the less interesting parts despite also bringing in Catwoman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Roth posted:

Batman 1's intro of the Joker is very weirdly creepy: Just random murders because he can, and nobody can stop him. The non-Joker parts of the issue are, uh, there alright and the less interesting parts despite also bringing in Catwoman.

Yeah was just reading it for the first time myself, it's creepy and a good intro for the character.