Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Was it this thread that gave us “You’re either a “She was abusive to the staaaaaff!” person or a “Motherfuckin’ goddamn orange peel beef!” person”?

I'm ride or die "Motherfucking goddamn orange peel beef" all the way, baby :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

“I like some pulp”

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HakM73YbZQ

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

my god, it's lyrical

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

The best would be if someone could have altered it into one of those cup tapping songs

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.

Jose Oquendo posted:

I am not sure why but I feel that ‘she was abusive to the staff’ is one of the top 5 lines in tv history.

It's the way he draws out the word "staff" in cadence with the angry italian gesturing.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

can't find the exact quote but I lol'd when Svetlana tried to explain why Irina was refusing therapy to Tony, who was getting increasing irritated.

Svetlana: "Russian don't like therapy, Tony. They find it like gulag, for political rehabilitation"
Tony: "....Alright well this is getting too hosed up for me!"

also laughed when AJ *legitimately* did not know what gutters on a house are, that actor's facial expression hits it out of the park
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgvAxNRtHW0

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sometimes Iler gets cited as a weak link in the series, but I don't think that's the case. I think it's more he's surrounded by some amazing actors who were probably the best actors on TV at the time and got some really clunky 'adults can't write kids dialogue' to say (fartknocker).

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

He excels at being an annoying, entitled child. What oughta be expected given his upbringing.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
And if nothing else, his performance during his suicide attempt is loving incredible.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
he doesn't eat the Lincoln log sandwiches, what a spoiled brat

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Not eating those was basically the only good decision AJ made in the entire show. That is just an amazing scene. The "AJ what the gently caress?" followed by panic, confusion, anger, concern, then sadness. AJ totally breaking down and desperate, Tony cradling his kid hoping he can make it all better. Both actors loving knock it straight out of the park. This show always hits those big moments right out of the park. That's something that really separates The Sopranos from a lot of other prestige shows. The actors and the writing always seems to be just so natural and effortless.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Matt Zerella posted:

he doesn't eat the Lincoln log sandwiches, what a spoiled brat

One day you and I will sit down and hash this poo poo out.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Solice Kirsk posted:

Not eating those was basically the only good decision AJ made in the entire show. That is just an amazing scene. The "AJ what the gently caress?" followed by panic, confusion, anger, concern, then sadness. AJ totally breaking down and desperate, Tony cradling his kid hoping he can make it all better. Both actors loving knock it straight out of the park. This show always hits those big moments right out of the park. That's something that really separates The Sopranos from a lot of other prestige shows. The actors and the writing always seems to be just so natural and effortless.

I can't separate any of them from the characters they play. Few shows have casting as good.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
The writing was always spot on as well because, unlike so many other shows, none of the dialogue is interchangeable. You can't take a line that Christopher would say and put it in Paulie's mouth, etc.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Solice Kirsk posted:

Not eating those was basically the only good decision AJ made in the entire show.

:wrong:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The writing was always spot on as well because, unlike so many other shows, none of the dialogue is interchangeable. You can't take a line that Christopher would say and put it in Paulie's mouth, etc.

He was gay, Gary Cooper?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I love that scene, with Patsy and Christopher in the back seat like kids watching their parents fight on the way home from an event.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Jerusalem posted:

I'm ride or die "Motherfucking goddamn orange peel beef" all the way, baby :colbert:
He never had the makings of a varsity "atha-lete".

With all the allegations coming out about Gov Cuomo I can just imagine a modern day Soprano's episode covering the topic.

Sil: Ya know what it is? I'll tell ya what it is, it's anti Italian discrimination! So waat if he kissed em on the cheek, it's how we say hello. IT'S OUR PROUD ITALIAN AMERICAN HERITAGE. First they came for Columbus, now Cuomo, they're just tearing down another Italian American hero.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Fine. Fine. Banging that Puerto Rican girl was a really good idea too. Totally out kicked his coverage on that one. I'm unemployed now so maybe I'll write a fanfic short story about how her and Finn actually wind up together and bond over their run ins with the Soprano family.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

th3t00t posted:

With all the allegations coming out about Gov Cuomo I can just imagine a modern day Soprano's episode covering the topic.

Sil: Ya know what it is? I'll tell ya what it is, it's anti Italian discrimination! So waat if he kissed em on the cheek, it's how we say hello. IT'S OUR PROUD ITALIAN AMERICAN HERITAGE. First they came for Columbus, now Cuomo, they're just tearing down another Italian American hero.

Learning that he was left out of a sitdown with New York because his crew hasn't been vaccinated, Tony feverishly calls in favors to book everybody an appointment. After reconnecting with some pre-med friends at Tony's insistence, Meadow has some uncomfortable realizations about her life with Jason. Paulie lands in hot water with his parole officer after New York 1 cameras catch him appearing at a rally outside the Governor's Mansion in Albany while returning from a cigarette smuggling run.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

to see how well AJ’s actor could act, you really only ever need to compare his scenes at his youngest with scenes from other kids who gets more than like one line in total in the show. the kids are mostly pretty convincing for the most part, but AJ stands out, and not just because it’s a bigger role

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Was it this thread that gave us “You’re either a “She was abusive to the staaaaaff!” person or a “Motherfuckin’ goddamn orange peel beef!” person”?

Not to toot my own horn or anything but :smug:

Basebf555 posted:

There's two types of Sopranos fans. Mother loving Orange Peel Beef people and She Was Abusive To The Staff people. I respect Orange Peel Beef people but I'm an Abusive To The Staff person myself.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

i will not stand for this jaaaackeeet erasure

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

You had to be the big man!!

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Ainsley McTree posted:

i will not stand for this jaaaackeeet erasure

als "yah flexinnnnnnn"

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
everybody hates Artie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qrgm0i2uU2U

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qT2_EqSPTFo

"Give us a minute."

And then Artie comes back literally a minute later LMAO

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Fascinating debate going on in the comments:

quote:

Artie was smart when ever they came to eat. Since everyone normally eaten for free, he would not let them order from the expensive menu, instead he would throw some scraps together. Lol. He did it all through out the show

And then later in the replies

quote:

I disagree. If you are from Italy - like myself - eating a Burrata or Quail in NJ would be an incredible delicatesse. The people though in the show always go for cannoli or 'pasta with meat gravy'. These might have been 'scraps' in the sense that nobody ordered them, but in terms of quality, it is quality. It is extremely funny to see him trying with exasperation to get the Sopranos to try new things, but always getting shunned (You could say Artie was a foodie before his time).

I don't know anything about anything when it comes to fine dining but I'm tempted to agree with the second guy (he is italian after all, i don't know if he mentioned that); for all of Artie's many faults, he is a genuinely good chef who knows his way around food (and completely in over his head when trying to commit crimes and scams), and as we see throughout the series, the sopranos and friends have frequently quite gaudy taste; I can believe that it's a pearls before swine situation

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Ainsley McTree posted:

I don't know anything about anything when it comes to fine dining but I'm tempted to agree with the second guy (he is italian after all, i don't know if he mentioned that); for all of Artie's many faults, he is a genuinely good chef who knows his way around food (and completely in over his head when trying to commit crimes and scams), and as we see throughout the series, the sopranos and friends have frequently quite gaudy taste; I can believe that it's a pearls before swine situation

i agree. it's hilarious when he brings out the burrata that he had overnighted and they look at it like it's a dog turd. also reminds me of the ep where they go to Italy and Paulie can't believe that no one knows what he's talking about when he orders macaroni and gravy. they think of themselves as more Italian than actual Italians but they've actually been Medigans for a long time.

"And you thought the Germans were classless pieces of poo poo."

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

He's a master cheese maker.

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018

Ainsley McTree posted:

Fascinating debate going on in the comments:

And then later in the replies

Second guy is right, good quality burrata is a delicacy. I always laugh when Carmela tries it, shrugs and says "tastes the same to me."

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I really love when either Carmela’s mother, or her friends, are trying to show how much more cultured they are than the rest of NJ, and raves about the recipe for ossobuco they got from a vacation, as if a pot stew is something that’ll set them apart

ulvir fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Apr 1, 2021

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

As a "Qu’est-ce que c’est? Message machine broken?" kind of guy I can't really relate

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

PerilPastry posted:

As a "Qu’est-ce que c’est? Message machine broken?" kind of guy I can't really relate

Artie is an absolutely amazing character :allears:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZp6zxh2yjE

The Sopranos game is just solid gold

Mushroom Zingdom
Jan 28, 2007
Nap Ghost
Just finished watching this a few days ago after starting in January. What an amazing show. I kept myself away from the thread since I didn't know if there would be spoilers (and I was very paranoid about having it ruined for me) and I'm glad that I kept my guard up so high. One or two spoiler-free posts I saw online claimed something like: "Don't worry about running out of Sopranos, the best part is getting to re-watch it." Even already, re-visiting scenes, you realize how fathoms-deep with richness and texture every single character and interaction is. What a remarkable show! I kind of can't believe that the show works so well both as on the first-pass through and on the N-th pass basis; that simultaneously it's super detailed, but not so hard to follow that you can't enjoy it taking each turn as you go, and that there are always new details to catch and observations to treasure upon revisit. Even just watching supercuts, compilations, and scenes on youtube over the last few days has been mindblowing.

So much to think about! And of course, Jerusalem's write-ups are first rate, and are helping to cast light on some of that depth. I love how there is so much about the show that there are no straightforward answers about so many of the characters. Even after seeing them from so many angles, there is still so much that is murky and mysterious about them.

Two scattered observations, I'll share more later.

I found the scene with Paulie in Miami laughing alone in his hotel room incredibly depressing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLS5bqRusKs; just knowing what a rough season Paulie had up until that point with the revelation about his mom/aunt, his cancer scare, etc. and the fact that he lives a fairly lonely existence, getting a snatch of him so delighted by the TV alone in his room-- Sitting upright in rapt attention, not even lying down!-- having the time of his life just broke my heart. (It even mirrors the scene from late S6 part 1 where Tony sees AJ becoming a goon loving around on his computer in his underwear, laughing to himself while instant messaging someone, and scowling a look of pure disgust) And sure enough, I was surprised to learn that some people in the comments thought this scene was totally charming and heartwarming, and I get why they see it that way too!

Another thought. I like how Tony never stops trying to wear down Melfi with gifts and favors throughout the series: like giving her the Cleaver DVD, though that nominally had a therapeutic purpose for letting her see the scene he was upset about, or at one point in a late season he offers to give her meat on the house from Satriale's (and the dialogue suggests it isn't the first time he's offered), or the part I think in season 5 where he tries to give her a tip and she counts it as overpaying. Even though he must understand on some level that Melfi will never compromise and take the bait. Naively, on my first pass, I figured it was a charm offensive that he refused to turn off, partially because he never really stops being attracted to Melfi, or that perhaps he just enjoyed using his power to offer gifts / favors to people who he likes based on a transactional framing of his therapy sessions. You know he does respect her wisdom and intelligence, because even as far back as season 1 (when he isn't on board with the therapy thing), he parrots things that she says all the time. But when you stop, and think, and see Tony as a calculating sociopath, an absolute animal who is patient and persistent about working the angles on everyone around him 24/7, it really casts his repeated efforts to ingratiate himself with Melfi into a different light.

Mushroom Zingdom fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Apr 4, 2021

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Mushroom Zingdom posted:

Just finished watching this a few days ago after starting in January. What an amazing show. I kept myself away from the thread since I didn't know if there would be spoilers (and I was very paranoid about having it ruined for me) and I'm glad that I kept my guard up so high. One or two spoiler-free posts I saw online claimed something like: "Don't worry about running out of Sopranos, the best part is getting to re-watch it." Even already, re-visiting scenes, you realize how fathoms-deep with richness and texture every single character and interaction is. What a remarkable show! I kind of can't believe that the show works so well both as on the first-pass through and on the N-th pass basis; that simultaneously it's super detailed, but not so hard to follow that you can't enjoy it taking each turn as you go, and that there are always new details to catch and observations to treasure upon revisit. Even just watching supercuts, compilations, and scenes on youtube over the last few days has been mindblowing.

The Sopranos really is the one. It's the TV show that's the culmination of everything that TV had been working towards for decades. It all came together. After Sopranos there have been shows that are better written, or filmed, or acted, but Sopranos is far greater than the sum of its parts. I'd rather put on a random episode (or season) of Sopranos than say, something like Oz or Breaking Bad. I think there's a few reasons for it. I think the show's dark humor helps make it watchable. Even when the show gets into some serious or hosed up poo poo, there's still always something darkly funny about it. The other factor is James Gandolfini. It's just such an amazing, perfect performance through and through. We relate to him, we laugh with him, laugh at him, we fear him. I don't know if they'll ever be another show like the Sopranos and it will probably be a few more decades before we get that next evolutionary leap in TV.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

can't find the exact quote but I lol'd when Svetlana tried to explain why Irina was refusing therapy to Tony, who was getting increasing irritated.

Svetlana: "Russian don't like therapy, Tony. They find it like gulag, for political rehabilitation"
Tony: "....Alright well this is getting too hosed up for me!"

also laughed when AJ *legitimately* did not know what gutters on a house are, that actor's facial expression hits it out of the park
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgvAxNRtHW0

extra lol at the part where tony uses jackie jr as the example of someone to look up to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Jose Oquendo posted:

The other factor is James Gandolfini. It's just such an amazing, perfect performance through and through. We relate to him, we laugh with him, laugh at him, we fear him. I don't know if they'll ever be another show like the Sopranos and it will probably be a few more decades before we get that next evolutionary leap in TV.

The show is masterful at getting you to love and root for complete assholes. These guys are murderers, thieves, con men, liars and extortionists but half the time I still manage to sympathize with them or succumb to their charms. Then they do something horrible and I hate their loving guts.