Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Bingo! My wife called me and told me to sneak in to the garage from the back door. Apparently it was much deeper in the garage when she noticed it, which startled her causing her to scream before realizing what it was. The bird gave 0 fucks. It wouldn't let us get right up to it but it definitely did not care about our presence within a few feet.

She named him Chuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

I had a canary on my bird feeder once in the middle of a snowstorm in rural North Carolina. Escaped pet, I would imagine.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

We have been hiking a lot more and recently I started bringing my binoculars - an old pair of 10x50s - but they're too bulky to just wear around my neck and it's a pain in the rear end to keep pulling them out of a backpack. I saw the recommendations on the first page via audobon, they all seem to be for 8x42s, but I think what I'd really like is something I can tuck into a pocket. I know going smaller means sacrificing magnificaiton & light gathering. Any suggestions for something quite small and light, but still of decent quality, around $150 or less?

Also here are some lovely cell phone camera birb pics.

Tentatively IDing as a cooper's hawk. Mt. Wanda, Martinez CA, Feb 3rd.

Gooses. We get shitloads of canada geese around here but these are a different flavor. Newhall Community Park, Concord CA, Jan 31st.

A white water birb of some kind. Newhall Community Park, Concord CA, Jan 31st.

A hawk in my back yard. Red shouldered or red tailed, most likely? Concord CA, Dec 25th 2020.

Hawk, probably red shouldered. Lime Ridge Open Space, Concord CA, Oct. 30 2020.

Later I'll get out my actual good camera photos. I don't have a long telephoto, and I rarely bring the 150-300mm with me, so it's not an ideal setup for birding, but I have a few that are better than lovely cell pics.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

We have been hiking a lot more and recently I started bringing my binoculars - an old pair of 10x50s - but they're too bulky to just wear around my neck and it's a pain in the rear end to keep pulling them out of a backpack. I saw the recommendations on the first page via audobon, they all seem to be for 8x42s, but I think what I'd really like is something I can tuck into a pocket. I know going smaller means sacrificing magnificaiton & light gathering. Any suggestions for something quite small and light, but still of decent quality, around $150 or less?

You'll be looking for Compact binoculars then, maybe check out one of these. Most of the major brands that you see in the Audubon rundown will also make some kind of compact binocular, so to some extent it's just finding something in your price range and that you like using. There aren't many bad binoculars these days once you get out of the super bargain class.

quote:

Also here are some lovely cell phone camera birb pics.
Actually pretty decent for sell phone pics! I almost never try.

quote:

Tentatively IDing as a cooper's hawk. Mt. Wanda, Martinez CA, Feb 3rd.
Not an accipiter, I think it's a dark-morph Red-tail, but I'm not 100% sure. If it's not a red-tail, then either a suuuuper dark Ferrugionous with weird legs, an early Swainson's or Golden Eagle.

quote:

Gooses. We get shitloads of canada geese around here but these are a different flavor. Newhall Community Park, Concord CA, Jan 31st.
Looks like a domestic goose, maybe Swan Goose?

quote:

A white water birb of some kind. Newhall Community Park, Concord CA, Jan 31st.
Great Egret with the big yellow beak

quote:

A hawk in my back yard. Red shouldered or red tailed, most likely? Concord CA, Dec 25th 2020.
With the super-long tail, that's an accipiter, and by the size, Cooper's

quote:

Hawk, probably red shouldered. Lime Ridge Open Space, Concord CA, Oct. 30 2020.
Red-tailed Hawk.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Thanks!

For that first hawk, the color is deceptive: it's backlit somewhat, so the bird's colors aren't coming through, it's just dark. I made the tentative ID based on the fan-shaped tail, and looking at it with my binoculars. But I am not a Birder Person who can identify hakws easily so I'd still defer to your ID!

e. it is much more likely to be a red-tail hawk then a Ferrugineous, given it's hanging around the SF bay area rather than out in the desert, and Mt. Wanda is a known red-tail & red-shoulder hangout.

Here's a couple more pics of it, I just posted the two best ones but any of these might help.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Apr 1, 2021

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I cannot ID hawks at all. No issues with any other birds. Just hawks.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I was going in part by the darker belly. Red-shouldered would show obvious bands on the tail too.

Definitely hit me up for any East Bay bird questions! Ferruginous aren't common but you can get them in the East Bay in winter, more commonly out towards Livermore. But I've gotten them even relatively close to the bay. This winter we saw one at Fernandez Ranch near Hercules and I've seen them in Wildcat Canyon near Richmond too, also once or twice out at Pt. Reyes. Usually when I see them they are super high up though.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Oh you're local, cool! I know a long-time birder, family friend, who does raptors a lot; but she's more of a friend of my parents' and I don't like to bother her too often with "what's this bird" texts lol. She did teach me to identify red-shouldered by their (loud, incessant) calls, though, so I feel pretty confident in identifying them if they vocalize.

We've also been looking at lots of smaller birbs lately but those tend to be near impossible to photograph well with a cell phone. We are pretty sure we have a yellow-rumped warbler ID, we definitely heard a great horned owl around the backside of mt wanda on two different hikes, and we've seen a lot of little finches and stuff. Plus of course the woodpeckers and the jays, crows, mourning doves, and redwinged blackbirds that you find everywhere around here. There's also a pair of kites (or maybe merlins?) up on mt. wanda that we can spot at a long distance, their hovering is awesome.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
If it's smallish and hovering it would be a kite or kestrel. Merlins are all business and usually go direct from point a to point b.

Yeah, red-shoulders are super loud. Red-tails sound like what Bald Eagles sound like on TV (because real Bald Eagles sound too whimpy for amurican cinema).

waffy
Oct 31, 2010

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I cannot ID hawks at all. No issues with any other birds. Just hawks.

Accipiters (Coopers, sharp-shinned, etc.) vs. buteos (red-tailed, red-shouldered, etc.) is a good starting point and usually pretty straightforward by looking at tail length and general size/bulkiness. But yeah, positively IDing the specific species can be tricky, especially with the variability within a species like red-tailed. Coopers vs. sharp-shinned is always a classic challenge too.

The ones that kill me the most are gulls and shorebirds. I get a little bit better with them each year but there are so many little nuances that I feel like they both need more devoted study time beyond just going out in the field over and over. Coming across a huge group of either type and not knowing where to even begin is pretty humbling when you otherwise feel pretty confident with other birds.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Thank you. Accipiter vs buteo is a great starting point. I'm not bad at picking out defining characteristics, but there's so much variation within hawk species.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Depending on where you are red-tailed vs red shoulder is normally down to the belly band on the red tailed. At least for me. Eventually you wind up noticing the heads look materially different. If there are any "see a hawk up close" things when stuff returns to normal try and see a red shouldered and compare to up close pictures of red tailed. That sorta sealed it for me.

Kobe Bryant
Nov 16, 2010
LA River has more birdlife than expected.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Herons in trees just look bizarre imho

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

Cross posting from the bird photography thread: I finally got out to see the Great-Horned Owl nest near me (Fresh Pond, Cambridge, MA) with my camera and decent lighting.

Great-Horned Owl

Great-Horned Owl

Great-Horned Owl

Great-Horned Owl

Great-Horned Owl

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
:3: owl babies are Muppets.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I love owls!
On one of the hikes we do every other week or so, there's a side-trail where we've heard a great horned hooting a couple or three times. Haunting and awesome to be walking very quietly through the trees and suddenly hear it echoing around. We haven't spotted it though. I'd really like to.

BTW thanks for the binocular recommendations, I wound up going with the Nikon Prostaff compact ones. Haven't gotten to go out and use them yet (wife got food poisoning last week, is still recovering).

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
Nice! I just saw a great-horned owl for the first time (not counting zoos) last weekend. High Park, in Toronto. Here's a lovely cell-phone-held-up-to-my-binoculars pic

They also had wood ducks, my favorite duck:

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
I've got a new beta version of my feeder cam up, which adds machine learning to do species identification.

It's pretty good...

...but also makes some :discourse: mistakes

that's not a great blue heron

Bonus pre-identification pic. Poor buddy was too heavy and triggered the squirrel lock. When this thing works it's really good

dupersaurus fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Apr 16, 2021

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

HELLO I went to the woods today and saw some babies on the move with their very concerned mama:

Hooded merganser. Western PA. Also spotted some hooded warblers, a first for me!

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Awesome! The merganserlettes are so cute.

Cool about the Hooded Warblers too, that's a classy one.

I've fallen in love with Hermit Warblers. They only migrate through here so it's pretty rad to find one.

Gyuto Hermit Warbler-1233 on Flickr

Townends are more common but they're actually doing a little singing now.

Gyuto Townsends Warbler-1370 on Flickr

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Awesome! The merganserlettes are so cute.

I know, I just wish I could have gotten a better shot! Mama was intent on moving those babies away from us, and the trail was only so close to the creek.

I love love looove warblers, and yours are gorgeous.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

I've recently gotten into bird watching so I picked up some 8x42s and one of those adapters to keep your phone in place. As I was testing them out a red tailed hawk landed on a light post about 20 feet from me

Works pretty well but I found recording video easier to stay focused and get better shots

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

A very handsome bird!

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I need some birb identification help, I don't know poo poo about them. I'm in Austin, never seen a bird around here like this.

These are babies of some sort, although they are huge for a bird still in the nest. Haven't seen the parent around yet. I'd think they were a hawk or falcon of some kind due to the size if their beaks were different. They have black and white striped coloring, which I assume is their juvenile coloring, a yellow racing strip on their head and a white horizontal line under their eyes. Last pic for a better look at scale.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

My impulse is yellow crowned night heron, but those would be the adults you're looking at, and those are some remarkably yellow crowns.

I'm gonna stick with this guess, though. Only thing that makes sense. The juveniles would be kind of brown stripey.

Any fish parts on or around the area? That's what happens when my uncle gets yellow crowns in his tree during the Dallas spring/summer. Fish parts everywhere.

my cat is norris fucked around with this message at 16:49 on May 17, 2021

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
Definitely Yellow Crowned Night Herons. I used to live up by Walnut Creek in North Austin and saw a few of those up there. They are wild looking birds.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

creatine posted:

I've recently gotten into bird watching so I picked up some 8x42s and one of those adapters to keep your phone in place. As I was testing them out a red tailed hawk landed on a light post about 20 feet from me
Works pretty well but I found recording video easier to stay focused and get better shots

Nice pics

Where did you get your adapter?

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

HappyHippo posted:

Nice pics

Where did you get your adapter?

Thanks! I just grabbed One of these off Amazon

Pretty easy to set up but I find that the easiest thing is to just leave the phone mounted and just use the remaining eye piece for spotting and focusing

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

my cat is norris posted:

My impulse is yellow crowned night heron, but those would be the adults you're looking at, and those are some remarkably yellow crowns.

I'm gonna stick with this guess, though. Only thing that makes sense. The juveniles would be kind of brown stripey.

Any fish parts on or around the area? That's what happens when my uncle gets yellow crowns in his tree during the Dallas spring/summer. Fish parts everywhere.

Yeah after googling this is correct. I assumed they were large juveniles who hadn't flown yet because they are always there but it turns out that's just because they prefer to hunt at night. I had thought they were possibly some kind of fishing bird because of their beak shape, but didn't take them for a heron because the very short neck. Turns out that's just how they sit in the trees but then extend their necks when they are actually out hunting. Thanks!

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

creatine posted:

Thanks! I just grabbed One of these off Amazon

Pretty easy to set up but I find that the easiest thing is to just leave the phone mounted and just use the remaining eye piece for spotting and focusing

Cool, thanks. I saw a website where you can get one customized to your phone/bins but it was like $100. This is much more affordable.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

HappyHippo posted:

Cool, thanks. I saw a website where you can get one customized to your phone/bins but it was like $100. This is much more affordable.

This thing would fit a pretty wide range of current phones. It's pretty adjustable

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

I was out for a bike ride yesterday and saw a pretty large bird of prey on the side of the trail, and I was really surprised how close it let me get before flying away. I've got a generally good field guide for my area (northern Sierra Nevada) but not quite able to tell what it is using that, nothing looks _quite_ right to my eyes. Can anyone help identify it? My "not a bird person" eyes tell me it's either a red tailed hawk or a subadult bald eagle maybe?

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Steve French posted:

I was out for a bike ride yesterday and saw a pretty large bird of prey on the side of the trail, and I was really surprised how close it let me get before flying away. I've got a generally good field guide for my area (northern Sierra Nevada) but not quite able to tell what it is using that, nothing looks _quite_ right to my eyes. Can anyone help identify it? My "not a bird person" eyes tell me it's either a red tailed hawk or a subadult bald eagle maybe?

Definitely not eagle. I would lean towards Red-tail (usually a good place to start since they are so common and variable), but I'm not sure I can totally eliminate light Swainson's or Ferruginous. Definitely an intriguing bird!

This is from a couple of weeks ago, but I had Lazuli Bunting and Western Bluebird almost side by side in a photo. These were taken less than a minute apart, same branch. One of these days I'll get a pic of them hanging out together!

Wildcat Lazuli Bunting-2205 on Flickr

Wildcat Bluebird ATFL-2203 on Flickr

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I think a group of chimney swifts must have a nest around me, I've seen about 5 of them every day for a week flying around my apartment. They're hard to get a picture of on a phone.

A week ago when I first saw them, it was a bit rainy and I saw one of them take a dive at a red-tailed hawk. The hawk spent the rest of the night roosting in a nearby tree, probably because of the weather.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Where do you live? I see them (or hear them chittering) basically every day in Toronto.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I just watched a red-bellied woodpecker, robin, and cardinal fight over a baby snake. The woodpecker won, obviously, and horked it down.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

HappyHippo posted:

Where do you live? I see them (or hear them chittering) basically every day in Toronto.

I'm near Chicago. Never noticed them before, but it's not like I've been paying attention all that long :shrug:. Unfortunately they're on the decline from nesting site loss.

waffy
Oct 31, 2010
I never noticed chimney swifts for most of my life, but then again I barely noticed any birds at all until I actually got into birding. One of the only exceptions was the robins that would hop around on the lawn. It’s amazing how things change once you start paying attention, because now I can’t go anywhere without seeing or hearing stuff, and making mental notes of it all.

On more than one occasion I’ve also seen people assume that swifts were bats. I’m guessing that’s not an unusual mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

waffy posted:

It’s amazing how things change once you start paying attention, because now I can’t go anywhere without seeing or hearing stuff, and making mental notes of it all.

This is so true and I had the same experience learning to identify trees