Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

acksplode posted:

Haha I had to google it and somehow the actual quote is even worse

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-07-25-the-irony-of-oddworld

Lol. Lmao

The rest of the quote is

quote:

"My stepfather was a teamster. I saw a lot of things and heard a lot of stories about unions through there. Part of the problems with unions is that they start to encapsulate power and use that in a different way that becomes counterproductive, possibly sometimes, to the industry they're trying to unionize. If we lived in a really healthy, honest world where everyone was fair, we wouldn't need them. But because it's not a fair world, sometimes we do. What would happen to this industry is it would put out most of the small people, but the big ones would survive just fine."

His stance is that unions can become corrupt and forcibly shifting the balance of power doesn't necessarily solve all problems immediately. He's not wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Anything I should know before starting up Disco Elysium? The buggy interaction thing sounds super annoying but I’m still going to go for it and see if I like this game or not. I’ll definitely post my thoughts for everyone else curious but not really that blown away by the idea of it. Gotta be something special in there with how much some of you seem to have enjoyed it!

acksplode
May 17, 2004

cubicle gangster posted:

His stance is that unions can become corrupt and forcibly shifting the balance of power doesn't necessarily solve all problems immediately. He's not wrong.

What point do you think you're making here

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

cubicle gangster posted:

The rest of the quote is

lol "small business owners" just asking questions about how the big bad powerful union might get in the way of their job creation has been the dominant discourse for literally almost two centuries

The primary reason organized crime was able to have that sort of corrupt influence on the Teamsters was because unions were marginalized and criminalized in the first place

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

cubicle gangster posted:

Of course he's not wrong with a nothing statement like that but that's not really what he said. I think it's easier to just say he's not against unions in general all the time but he's against them specifically in the videogames industry.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

cubicle gangster posted:

The rest of the quote is

Problem is that like with public services (education, health, etc)

People goes from that to “welp, nothing we can do about it, so better not having it”

(Dunno if that’s the case with this dude)

Comparing it to death penalty is still ridiculous though

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Organized labor got us a 40 hour work week and a large stable middle class for decades, things that have eroded in recent years specifically due to the absence of unions. But hey some unions were corrupt once so really it's six of one, half a dozen of the other.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Oh oh I want to go next if we are combining unions and the death penalty.

Anyone against unions deserves the death penalty.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
it just didn't read to me like he was against unions. it read like he wishes there was a better solution. He's got confirmation bias from his stepdad likely being a piece of poo poo.
Whatever, I'm not defending an interpretation. If i was answering that question I probably wouldn't have brought up the death penalty... sets the tone quite poorly.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Mar 31, 2021

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
My grandfather was in a union and had a dope house with a wife and 7 kids on one income.

Amazon employees work a thousand times harder than he ever did and they have to piss in bottles and live on food stamps and have 10 roommates and none of them have ever been to a doctor and will likely die of poo poo that's easy preventative medicine like tooth abscesses.

Basically what I'm saying is it's fine that Jeff Bezos invented slavery 3.0 because one time a corrupt union boss skimmed off the top while still protecting workers from deadly exploitation.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

ZZZorcerer posted:

Problem is that like with public services (education, health, etc)

People goes from that to “welp, nothing we can do about it, so better not having it”

(Dunno if that’s the case with this dude)

Comparing it to death penalty is still ridiculous though
Yeah, "Unions might end up holding too much of the power balance, therefore we should never have them and let corporations keep all the unfair power balance to themselves" just fits with every other terrible "Someone might abuse this so nobody gets to have it" argument.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

cubicle gangster posted:

it just didn't read to me like he was against unions.

It reads to me like he's against unions because then he won't be able to force his employees to crunch and sleep at the office, which he earnestly believes is necessary to be competitive, and believes he can get away with because the market won't punish him for it.

quote:

"No one wants to say, 'This product was done by people who worked 9-to-5, and they all had great healthcare, weekends off, three weeks of vacation, and everyone had that. Here you go.' If it's not great, everyone goes, 'Who cares? Why didn't they lose some loving sleep to get it done and get it better?'

"The audience is absolutely ruthless, and we should never suspect for a second that they're not. They're absolutely ruthless. They don't care how many people died making the product. [laughing] I mean literally. They don't care. We're ruthless with how we spend our money. We live in a culture that's based on 'Wal Mart's cheaper. Let's go there for our stuff. Amazon Prime delivers without shipping costs. Let's go there.' And that shapes our world. At the end of the day, it's about the quality of what's on screen."
Yeah dude great example! That'll age well.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

acksplode posted:

It reads to me like he's against unions because then he won't be able to force his employees to crunch and sleep at the office, which he earnestly believes is necessary to be competitive, and believes he can get away with because the market won't punish him for it.

Yeah dude great example! That'll age well.

drat this dude really sucks lol

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Unions! blasting out of my lazy workforce, into my profit margins

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
It's about time someone put the screws to these freeloading assholes working 80 hours a week and sleeping in overcrowded barracks with cardboard beds.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I don't think I want to play this oddworld game lol

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

My grandfather was in a union and had a dope house with a wife and 7 kids on one income.

Amazon employees work a thousand times harder than he ever did and they have to piss in bottles and live on food stamps and have 10 roommates and none of them have ever been to a doctor and will likely die of poo poo that's easy preventative medicine like tooth abscesses.

Basically what I'm saying is it's fine that Jeff Bezos invented slavery 3.0 because one time a corrupt union boss skimmed off the top while still protecting workers from deadly exploitation.

Listen man those piss bottles stories are not true. The Amazon News twitter told me that no one would work for them if it was. They would just go to the job store and get a new job.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I honestly didn't know that the Oddworld guy sucked so much especially when the games are about slave labor and capitalist exploitation

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Rad Valtar posted:

Listen man those piss bottles stories are not true. The Amazon News twitter told me that no one would work for them if it was. They would just go to the job store and get a new job.

whatFourtySevenPercentOfAmericansBelieve.txt

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
In case anyone cares whatsoever, when using Hulu/Amazon Prime/Disney+ aps through the PS5, switching my TV from game mode to cinema mode makes the difference between it being in HD or not, the difference is astonishing. This is on a Nanocell.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Rad Valtar posted:

My favorite of those was the twitter account with amazon in the handle saying he'd never seen a piss bottle and his avatar was literally the first google image result for "dude"

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

grassy gnoll posted:

Hold up, in what circumstances do you anticipate the speed of light or the Planck constant changing and there are still humans around to care?

those arent base units of measurements and while theyre as close as universal as constants get they are still derived

seriously you dont measure things in c and %c you measure c as roughly 300000 meters per second and oh poo poo son whats a meter but the distance light travels in a given span of time and whats a second but a specified number of vibrations of a cesium atom except the c only applies in a true vacuum which there isnt and the rate at which a given atom of cesium vibrates can vary pretty wildly within a set of constraints dependent on lots of factors not least of which is radioactive decay

a calorie is the amount of energy it takes to heat one cubic centimeter of water one degree but a degree be it kelvin or fahrenheit is a derived measurement based on a number of other factors but if you wanna make it super simple its about the speed at which the atoms in a thing are moving and how do you measure speed oh yeah its distance over time but distance is measured against light in time and time is measured by a random atom vibrating basically everything is derived from one thing and reference all the others at all times

how do you measure mass i mean like sure it makes sense to just talk about the number of atoms in a thing but even then when you reduce it down to a base unit of measurement like the gram you have to define a gram and the only common factor within all the materials a thing can be made of turns out is derived from the other units which in turn are derived and so on and so on

even a planck length isnt a unit of measurement its expressed in angstroms so like what exactly are you trying to misinterpret here

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Casnorf posted:

those arent base units of measurements and while theyre as close as universal as constants get they are still derived

seriously you dont measure things in c and %c you measure c as roughly 300000 meters per second and oh poo poo son whats a meter but the distance light travels in a given span of time and whats a second but a specified number of vibrations of a cesium atom except the c only applies in a true vacuum which there isnt and the rate at which a given atom of cesium vibrates can vary pretty wildly within a set of constraints dependent on lots of factors not least of which is radioactive decay

a calorie is the amount of energy it takes to heat one cubic centimeter of water one degree but a degree be it kelvin or fahrenheit is a derived measurement based on a number of other factors but if you wanna make it super simple its about the speed at which the atoms in a thing are moving and how do you measure speed oh yeah its distance over time but distance is measured against light in time and time is measured by a random atom vibrating basically everything is derived from one thing and reference all the others at all times

how do you measure mass i mean like sure it makes sense to just talk about the number of atoms in a thing but even then when you reduce it down to a base unit of measurement like the gram you have to define a gram and the only common factor within all the materials a thing can be made of turns out is derived from the other units which in turn are derived and so on and so on

even a planck length isnt a unit of measurement its expressed in angstroms so like what exactly are you trying to misinterpret here

I use a ruler.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

If you're gonna try to be a smugwad about stuff at least have the decency to play along and be silly in rhyme or fish puns or something.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I use a ruler.

I use a yardstick.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Hmm this is frustrating. Disco Elysium has me very very interested from the first little section but the buggy interaction control is really awful. I might hold off until they fix it. I can’t really believe they released it like this with the main way of interacting with everything in the game needing you to mess around reselecting it every time. It feels bad and takes me out of the game when I know the controls aren’t going to do what I want the first time. Maybe I’m being a fussy baby. Game does seem very good though.

e: I feel like I’m probably dumb and just doing something wrong we’ll see!

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Mar 31, 2021

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Kilometers Davis posted:

I played maybe an hour last night or so and I've found that if you select the thing from far away I don't need to do the double-select as much. I will say it doesn't irk me too much, since I was enjoying the game a good deal.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

There should be a patch coming this week to address it if you want to hold out.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Kilometers Davis posted:

Hmm this is frustrating. Disco Elysium has me very very interested from the first little section but the buggy interaction control is really awful. I might hold off until they fix it. I can’t really believe they released it like this with the main way of interacting with everything in the game needing you to mess around reselecting it every time. It feels bad and takes me out of the game when I know the controls aren’t going to do what I want the first time. Maybe I’m being a fussy baby. Game does seem very good though.

I've played on PC and then played for a bit on PS yesterday. I decided to just wait for a patch (which was announced today.) The controls are currently broken and you are correct that it detracts from the game.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

acksplode posted:

If I was the publisher for Soulstorm, right now I'd be filling Twitter up with accounts like @RuptureFarmsAbe tweeting "I love my job, the loincloths are free and the Sligs make me feel safe. Why should I give a union a cut of my meat allowance"

:five: :f5:

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Anybody playing/played Dirt 5? I was wanting an arcadey racer, and it looks like it'd fit the bill. My understanding was that they were disappointed with the haptics at launch and were going to rework it, but it doesn't look like that has been done yet? Anybody have any insight?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Oddworld it looks like a neat metroidvania

lol, nope

Rad Valtar posted:

Oh oh I want to go next if we are combining unions and the death penalty.

Anyone against unions deserves the death penalty.

so much for the tolerant left :smuggo:

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I honestly didn't know that the Oddworld guy sucked so much especially when the games are about slave labor and capitalist exploitation

I think the more likely answer is that he's caught in a state of cognitive dissonance that many of his generation were, once-removed from the labour left, lured to the lite libertarian pseudo cure-all posturing of silicon valley venture capital. What I'm trying to say is, like many people in this country, I don't think his ideological bent is more than skin deep, it's based on cultural affectations and not a lot of critical thought goes into it wrt broader context. So yeah, his games are 'anti slave labor' and 'pro environment' but from the perspective of a generation that had totally been stripped of its class consciousness during the late stages of the cold war, so it's just buzzword terminology underpinning personal choices within the terms of a market identity, there's no actual substance to said position. Similar to the way people say: 'in order to change things you need to get in on the inside, make a bunch of money, and then donate and nudge things from that vanatge.' We all know what the weakness of that position is tho. You can't make meaningful change by being a dirtbag capitalist mass-exploiter and then maybe giving to the right charities.

Fedule posted:

PS5: Unions! blasting out of my lazy workforce, into my profit margins

also this plz

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Fix posted:

Anybody playing/played Dirt 5? I was wanting an arcadey racer, and it looks like it'd fit the bill. My understanding was that they were disappointed with the haptics at launch and were going to rework it, but it doesn't look like that has been done yet? Anybody have any insight?
I haven't played in about a month because the game crashes as regular as clockwork about every 20 minutes. But only after the conclusion of a race. Most of the time it'll save the race so you don't lose any progress. Startup and load times on PS5 are lightning fast so it's not even that big a deal. BUT looking into I saw more than one person say they lost their whole dang save. Like toward the end of the campaign. So I've set the game aside until they release a patch.

Last I heard, the devs acknowledged the problem in like Feb 2021 and are supposed to be working on a solution but nothing's surfaced yet as far as I'm aware. Oh, and the haptics are real weird. I have no idea what they're trying to communicate but they're a lot of it happening.

NFS Heat is on sale (today's the last day I think) for 75% off and it's been scratching my dumb arcadey racer itch instead.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Do I need to be disabling 3D audio for every ps4 game I play on this thing?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

star eater posted:

Do I need to be disabling 3D audio for every ps4 game I play on this thing?

do you play every game with headphones? you can have 3D audio enabled only for headphones i believe, and disabled when headphones are turned off.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

My favorite of those was the twitter account with amazon in the handle saying he'd never seen a piss bottle and his avatar was literally the first google image result for "dude"

ok that's a good one but the intercept found a ticket from amazon's IT department that literally thought the company twitter was hacked after the pee bottle thing

https://theintercept.com/2021/03/29/amazon-twitter-hack-union-jeff-bezos/

they got an email back from the PR department saying "it's an ongoing issue, we're handling it" loving lmao

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

do you play every game with headphones? you can have 3D audio enabled only for headphones i believe, and disabled when headphones are turned off.

I do generally, I almost never use my TV speakers.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Fedule posted:

Unions! blasting out of my lazy workforce, into my profit margins

drat you fedule! this is hilarious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I think the more likely answer is that he's caught in a state of cognitive dissonance that many of his generation were, once-removed from the labour left, lured to the lite libertarian pseudo cure-all posturing of silicon valley venture capital. What I'm trying to say is, like many people in this country, I don't think his ideological bent is more than skin deep, it's based on cultural affectations and not a lot of critical thought goes into it wrt broader context. So yeah, his games are 'anti slave labor' and 'pro environment' but from the perspective of a generation that had totally been stripped of its class consciousness during the late stages of the cold war, so it's just buzzword terminology underpinning personal choices within the terms of a market identity, there's no actual substance to said position. Similar to the way people say: 'in order to change things you need to get in on the inside, make a bunch of money, and then donate and nudge things from that vanatge.' We all know what the weakness of that position is tho. You can't make meaningful change by being a dirtbag capitalist mass-exploiter and then maybe giving to the right charities.

No cognitive dissonance, the man's a straight scumbag. He's cut from the latest 90s Interplay/EA corporate structure. This is going on 20 years ago now but he built his studio under long hours and low pay but promised generous performance based incentives. ONce the game went gold he 'restructured' 70% of his workforce out of a job. He was able to pull it off three separate times before no one would work for him anymore and he sold the studio to Microsoft who ended up closing it down 3 years later since the studios name was still so toxic in the industry.